Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I do find it odd that a big part of Irene's story is her realizing she doesn't need to be alone anymore, but one of her best masteries encourages her to be alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I didn’t realize it was LOS based, I assumed it was a 6-8 tile thing like most other proximity abilities. That’s much more viable.

Flashbang Irene until she becomes a hero

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Wow holy poo poo. I always thought it was true distance. Insane that Irene lacks object permanence.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tiramisu posted:

Wow holy poo poo. I always thought it was true distance. Insane that Irene lacks object permanence.

Is it really that surprising? :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hero refreshes and it lasts 3 turns, so it's not difficult to keep up.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Is there an easy way to trigger Hero on Irene besides her individual mastery?

There are masteries that can trigger Hero for Irene, but they're more finicky to use compared to just ducking Irene behind a corner using her individual mastery and they take up space on her mastery board.

If you'd prefer it though, theres one that triggers Hero when Irene revives from dying and another that triggers it when an ally or civilian is badly hurt or killed within her line of sight. Both can be gotten from the mission Scent of the past (Irene route) (27S Sky-wind park).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the problem is that enemies almost never target civilians and you don't want anyone except alisa to be near death. it's not very useful and has a high equip cost.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I do rather enjoy the gameplay+story integration of Irene being so hype for heroic rescues that she gets buffed for hiding behind a box just long enough to mildly surprise her teammates when she pops back up and kicks a gangster in the face.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So uh, is there a trick to dealing with the spiderweb effect? My frontline got pasted by those web slinging drones, so I burnt most of my spare masteries giving the whole team spiderweb stunts which does... nothing.

Really kinda bummed, I thought it was the game telling me to make custom builds for different opponents. I guess not?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

So uh, is there a trick to dealing with the spiderweb effect? My frontline got pasted by those web slinging drones, so I burnt most of my spare masteries giving the whole team spiderweb stunts which does... nothing.

You mean the one that gives -dodge and prevents movement? Albus can still reposition with Wind Walk, so make sure he has that. Mutant might clear it end of turn, can’t recall. Generally it’s annoying but not deadly, as spiders have low damage. So long as you maintain a frontline of durable guys so the spiders can’t reach the squishies, I wouldn’t be too concerned with the debuff. Most important thing with spiders is accuracy — prior planning mastery, automatic hits (albus, Alissa, and the martial artists can get this on counters), and high hit abilities like Heixing’s headshot and Giselle’s body shot are all very helpful.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, my issue isn’t damage dealing or accuracy (Albus, Ray, Heixing and Sion are all doing a decent job on that front), more that the frontline is doomed to stand in one spot slowly having their hp chipped away. Albus has a ton of dodge but it’s basically a death sentence once he gets webbed. Wind walk is a good point though, that might save him.

To be clear it’s drones, not spiders. So ranged web attacks.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 20, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, my issue isn’t damage dealing (Albus, Ray, Heixing and Sion are all doing a decent job on that front), more that the frontline is doomed to stand in one spot slowly having their hp chipped away. Albus has a ton of dodge but it’s basically a death sentence once he gets webbed. Wind walk is a good point though, that might save him.

You can clear it with Anne I believe. Ashuram again made a good build centered around taking a ton of low AT turns with White Mage Anne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfkoIStMu4&t=1325s

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nephthys posted:

You can clear it with Anne I believe. Ashuram again made a good build centered around taking a ton of low AT turns with White Mage Anne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfkoIStMu4&t=1325s

Oh hell yeah, that looks neat. I'll check it out

Also I finally beat the mission, crawling slowly forwards and just relying on ranged attacks. Turns out it was real hard because I had forgotten that I had my main tank wearing a crappy skinning set :v:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Yeah, my issue isn’t damage dealing or accuracy (Albus, Ray, Heixing and Sion are all doing a decent job on that front), more that the frontline is doomed to stand in one spot slowly having their hp chipped away. Albus has a ton of dodge but it’s basically a death sentence once he gets webbed. Wind walk is a good point though, that might save him.

Oh god, those drones are so annoying. Especially the variants with damage control that take five hits to kill. Ray I found decent there, her ability to give -20 AT to them all at once slowed things a bit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the easy solution is reactive fire ranger heixing, possibly with machine hunter. there are enemies it doesn't work on due to various lightning reflexes-based mastery sets, but iirc this doesn't include drones. so, endless reactive attacks that don't cost vigor or at while being all but immune to incoming ranged fire.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am just glad Spider Web Drones are relatively rare.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I can’t believe how long it takes to get a full 8-man squad. Are there more people joining after Kylie?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Vengarr posted:

I can’t believe how long it takes to get a full 8-man squad. Are there more people joining after Kylie?

base game: yep
+ free dlc: yeeep

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I totally ignored bleeding because DOT's seemed totally useless when stuff like one shot one kill exists.

I just realized Bloodbath is a thing. Holy gently caress, this changes everything.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

So I totally ignored bleeding because DOT's seemed totally useless when stuff like one shot one kill exists.

I just realized Bloodbath is a thing. Holy gently caress, this changes everything.

You might want to check out Heixing’s masteries for Blood Red Bullet as well.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
“The Expert” mastery set lets you throw grenades for 1 AP instead of 2. Also gives you 5 grenades per slot.

Grenadier Ray can get two grenade slots and a mastery set that buffs grenade debuff chance. So you can get 5 upgraded Frag grenades that cause bleeding 75% of the time. Pair this with Containing Attack which reduces damaged enemies’ AT by 20.

Ray drops a grenade on a group of enemies, Heixing and Albus smell the blood and fall on them like sharks on chum. Repeat until “Mission Complete”.

I like how Story Sion’s character is “man I’m hungry”, but Gameplay Sion’s character is

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Edit; Lol wrong thread. This does look good though, I'll pick it up once I need a new turn-based game.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 27, 2022

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Can Anne/Ray strip the buff off the spoon man that revives and can't be killed for three turns? Because gently caress that guy

Also does the pokemon training / mech building ever become worth the effort? I had Giselle capture the rainbow pear bird to teach him some manners and save him from a life of unrequited love with a vending machine, but idk how useful the pokemon are. Hard to believe they could keep up really

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The top class Pokemon are ridiculously powerful but also a pain to get and set up. I never found much of a use for the robots besides the fact you can build them as ludicrously tanky decoys. Doesn't help their poo poo is even grindier than the Pokemon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Animal friends can get pretty nuts, especially the unique crabmits in the dlc, but even early on its just worth investing in a tima or something just to get another tank on the floor.

Same with robots, like they take even more to get off the ground but I was able to build something rather crappy early that was just worth it for soaking up hits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pokemon get their own racial masteries as well as filling elements and roles that aren't found among your party. like every other optimized build in this game, it requires either heavy theorycrafting and experimentation or else finding something on youtube. the best starter pet is still ice timas, though. you can make them very tanky with ease and then go from there.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there really a more optimized build for Sion than just throwing all the Black Mage/Elementalist masteries on him along with One Shot One Kill and Catharsis?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Is there really a more optimized build for Sion than just throwing all the Black Mage/Elementalist masteries on him along with One Shot One Kill and Catharsis?

Battle Mage is ludicrously tanky and still does good damage, but in a much more limited way than Black Mage. I do prefer the latter since there are instances where you need the sheer damage output he brings as a Black Mage, but you might find that he starts dying a lot at some point. Battle Mage might be the strongest class in the game, just because it's so hard to die when fully built.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 28, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are some good lightning sets.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Black mage Sion's usefulness depends almost entirely on his postioning because most of his spells don't have great range. I think it's nice to be able to send him into the frontlines, his unlimited power isn't any good if he's jammed up in tight quarters or lagging behind zippy characters like Albus and Irene. It's still only a secondary build that I mess around with if I'm having trouble with a particular mission though.

Smiling Knight posted:

You might want to check out Heixing’s masteries for Blood Red Bullet as well.

Trip report: Bloodbath and Blood Red Bullet are amazing, but only when the cards line up just right. I think I need to tool around with Albus' build so he can reliably hit twice in a turn or rely on Ray's grenade trick as was mentioned.

It's also yet another really cool build that doesn't work against my nemesis, robots.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a pretty sweet Heixing build that both poisons and severe bleeds every single enemy, which is often enough to finish them off even if he only slightly hurts them, but unfortunately it causes giant clouds of poison when they die which is honestly way worse than if it didn't, since you will inevitably have to run through that poison eventually (not to mention the cover it gives them). But you can't avoid that Mastery Set without removing some other vital piece of the build.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Gas Masks for everyone, I guess? Not much you can do about the cover though

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Its a bit excessive for me personally, but I read that the poison cloud build can be very strong if you stick Mutant on everyone.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are some good lightning sets.

Oh yeah, this is also true. A good lightning build is very strong since it still does big damage and you can completely ignore all resistances with the Giant Thunder set.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My cope for Heixing's gas kills was giving my frontliners Mutant to convert that poison into random buffs.

Still not a fan of the clouds. My Heixing is currently specced with Giant Killer and minimum possible health for some outrageous damage.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How do you keep Heixing's Vigor topped off?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vengarr posted:

How do you keep Heixing's Vigor topped off?

Potions, generally. For a while I used masteries to try and keep him in Overcharge as much as possible. There are also some items that give you vigor back when you crit or kill a bleeding enemy.

Right now I use an overwatch, fire support Ranger build that generally uses basic attacks so I don't burn through his vigor as much as I did when he was a Sweeper.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sweeper heixing constantly burns vigor, but at least you can pop on some spirit mastery sets to mitigate it. his overcharges aren't great, anyway.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I put together a Destron-buster Heixing Ranger build that is pretty sweet. Puts out great damage that gets better as it removes armor, can actually engage in a shootout thanks to Cover Move, and Revenge Shot does actually hit Destrons who otherwise dodge reaction fire. With the position of advantage and its accompanying mastery set, he even comes out AT-positive on Revenge Shot. He needs a screen to avoid sword death, but otherwise is my unit most capable of taking down those nasty nasty robots.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2022

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

GloomMouse posted:

Can Anne/Ray strip the buff off the spoon man that revives and can't be killed for three turns? Because gently caress that guy

Yes but with the caveat that Ray needs to do 1 damage for graffiti to work so if he’s already at 1 hp there’s nothing she can do. Also worth noting that Heixing’s anti ESP cooldown extension will persist through revival so if you nail him with that first he just stands around until he can die again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not sure if this is news to the thread but I thought it was interesting:

Next level classes :getin: