Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

prukinski posted:

Thank you thank you. I've directed him to check the coils and the carbs in that order, by effort involved.

He's not in a place that ever drops below 10 degrees C. Would that rule out carb freezing?

It would but it wouldn't rule out carb clogging. To me it sounds like either one of the cylinders is dropping out periodically (coil, pickup, wiring) or the CV plungers aren't opening fully (carb shenanigans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m imagining having a cylinder drop out on me, compensating by opening the throttle, then having it suddenly fire up again and my bike just casually ejecting me off the back as it rides off into the sunset.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I can assure you, cornering with moisture in the front spark plug hole is VERY exciting because it'll randomly cut in and out. Lots of clutch slip in corners because if it kicks in, you don't want the full power to get onto the rear wheel.

And yeah, above 10 deg C carb freezing shouldn't happen unless you are in very specific conditions (dewpoint almost equal to ambient temperature, relative humidity extremely high)

These conditions are rarely found on the road but are common in the sky. I did have it happen once, when i rode through a very specific climate. I was riding in pleasant weather, towards the Afsluitdijk sea dike. On the dike, with water on both sides of it, temperature was pretty low (12ish degrees) and humidity high enough for dense fog to appear. This caused a few stutters and hesitations, which were completely gone when i reached land again.
It doesn't do that in full on rain in warmer weather, so i think moisture ingress can be excluded in this case.
I'm always like 'Whoooaaa physics is happening right here in my bike' when it happens.

I recommend that whenever you buy a carb'd bike, just get the carb cleaned so you can forget about it for the next decade or so (unless you leave it to gum up in winter, but that's user error).

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 26, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Carbs, the gift that keeps on giving.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's honestly not that big of a deal. I've been ignoring the "problem" for 5 years now because i just don't ride enough in such cold and damp conditions for me to care about screwing in the heaters.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

OK, but that's the response to any carb issue, it's not that big of a deal!:

Carb freezing.
Carb clogging.
Carb jetted wrong.
Carb needing more turns of the jet screw.
Carb needing rebuild.
Carb stored wrong.
Carb used at wrong altitude.
Carbs needing balancing.

This entire thread is basically carb chat!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I love carbs. Sorry you don't understand physics and dark magic.

we're talking about baking, right?

(charge LiFePO4 under 0C for a good time)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

All of these are a one time issue you deal with when either fixing some other person's fuckery, or when pulling a bike out of storage that has been put away with fuel in it.

Compare it to someone loving with the mapping of an ECU. People usually don't have the knowledge about how to gently caress around with those. But if it was as easy as plugging the bike into a laptop and a console with sliders popped up about injection timing, amounts, air/fuel ratios etc etc you can bet your rear end that the first thing you gotta do when you buy a bike like that, is reflash the ECU to stock.

If you were to import a big american diesel pickup truck here, that should normally pass the emissions test, a LOT of them would fail and you'd need to gently caress around with them because a lot of their owners gently caress around with the fueling, remove the particulate filters, remove the recirculation and stuff. Are those modern technologies to blame for the truck failing the MOT? No. It's the fault of the person who screwed around with it and for instance made the fueling richer to get more power out of it.

If you'd magically make the adjustments of the carburetor disappear, they'd do totally fine for years and years. Don't blame a carburetor for the incompetence of a previous owner. Do blame Suzuki for not just putting the glowplugs in place from factory, though. It's not too big of a deal but it's a bit cheap of them.

As a side note, analog radios have all kinds of adjustment points too. Sometimes people gently caress around with those because 'Ooh, a screw hole, let's try it out and see if it improves reception/makes it receive the police band'. And then things go horribly wrong.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 26, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Problem is that I don't live near any motorcycle greybeards to teach me the dark arts...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I too hate loving with/tuning carbs, but I will probably die without ever having ridden a FI setup with as smooth a feel as carbs. It may be motorcycling's version of "vinyl just sounds better, man" but it's the same analog/digital approximation argument and it's blatantly obvious when you go from a well-tuned carb to say, a recent model Yamaha and try riding around at part throttle

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
most efi you get now is completely locked out to remapping for emissions compliance reasons.
The more primitive or race ecus are open for this sort of tuning. ime they're in some ways easier to tune than a carb without any baseline setup jetting.
To add to the insufferableness. very few efi systems will be as responsive as mechanical injection. Its crisp and responsive as a carb...

Are we really gonna have this carb | efi debate again?

Steakandchips posted:

Problem is that I don't live near any motorcycle greybeards to teach me the dark arts...

I mean, you also did go right for super-awesome-raw-gay-electric-horsepower too.

E: fuckit. My poo poo doesn't have heaters, I'm not installing them, ever. I've had it down to 0F(-17C) maybe -10F(-28C) at almost 10,000 feet(3000m) and not had any icing. If it ever did I can stop and wait 5 minutes for the ball of thermonuclear heat to cook off said ice. (and warm my hands on the radiators)

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 26, 2022

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I remember blipping the throttle on my 1982 320i (back when the "i" meant something in BMW nomenclature. In this case, Bosch K-Jet mechanical fuel injection) and something like a half-second would pass before the engine responded. It was in good nick, the throttle response on that system is just sllloooww.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
haha cis-e/k-jet is soooo slow to respond. Partly because of its design using a big flappy plunger in the air intake tract that acted on a set of plungers for fuel delivery. So you whacked the throttlebody open, which then eventually pulls the flappy plunger down as more air enters the engine. It does do boost well which was uncommon for the era. loving everything from shitbox taxi benzes to rollers and ferraris ran that system. I was the poor jerk that kept them running clean and proper.

I was meaning more direct-injected-mechanical-injection what every early diesel featured or the 300sl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Actually the problem is you give up at the slightest resistance or discomfort.

Jazzzzz posted:

I too hate loving with/tuning carbs, but I will probably die without ever having ridden a FI setup with as smooth a feel as carbs. It may be motorcycling's version of "vinyl just sounds better, man" but it's the same analog/digital approximation argument and it's blatantly obvious when you go from a well-tuned carb to say, a recent model Yamaha and try riding around at part throttle

They are literally better, it isn't in your head. Throttle bodies are inherently snatchy at small openings and designers have to do all sorts of interesting things just to approximate what carbs do automatically.

Slide Hammer posted:

I remember blipping the throttle on my 1982 320i (back when the "i" meant something in BMW nomenclature. In this case, Bosch K-Jet mechanical fuel injection) and something like a half-second would pass before the engine responded. It was in good nick, the throttle response on that system is just sllloooww.

This what it's like riding an early K series BMW for me cause L-jet isn't a huge improvement. I also had a bunch of sharknose cars with the m30, equipped with various flavors of German bullshit fuel delivery systems and yeah, throttle response was diesel-like.

cursedshitbox posted:

I was meaning more direct-injected-mechanical-injection what every early diesel featured or the 300sl.

Toyota's electronically regulated but mechanically timed and delivered diesel system is the best every, fight me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yamaha stopped making the 2-stroke Superjet last year (I think?) after selling it unchanged since 1996. That entire time, it had dual 38 mm Mikuni SBN carbs with high and low adjusters.
But around 2008, Yamaha started putting cast metal caps over these adjusters. They're still there, just have to drill the cap. Probably for emissions reasons, but also drove the casual carb adjusters nuts

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I disassembled the rear brake caliper of my fzr600 again to try the 'rotate without seals and see in which position it's smoothest' procedure, to see if that makes the brake quit dragging so much.

I found something i didn't see last time: there's some black crud floating in the little bit of brake fluid that remained in the cylinder. I have a hunch that it's from a seal or some other rubber component in the master cylinder.

I'll take pictures tomorrow. Done with it today.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
could be from the hose itself or any other part of the system.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Actually the problem is you give up at the slightest resistance or discomfort.
Scarily accurate.

Slavvy posted:

Diesels are not very responsive.
I keep thinking I should get a second car for when carring is the only option (eg long holiday and wife wants to bring three bags) and at the moment the 3 litre diesel BMW just isn’t super responsive (but it is good for hauling a tonne of crap).

Thinking about a 2007 Mercedes SLK 350 maybe.

Then I think I really enjoyed the BMW i4 test drive and I should buy a new car but I don’t want to eat the depreciation…

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

I disassembled the rear brake caliper of my fzr600 again to try the 'rotate without seals and see in which position it's smoothest' procedure, to see if that makes the brake quit dragging so much.

I found something i didn't see last time: there's some black crud floating in the little bit of brake fluid that remained in the cylinder. I have a hunch that it's from a seal or some other rubber component in the master cylinder.

I'll take pictures tomorrow. Done with it today.

I'm back in camp 'swollen brake hose restricting flow'

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s what my doctor calls it too.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The cylinders. The black/brown crud was not there when i opened it the first time. All brake fluid exiting the bleeder was clear, probably this crap just sinks to the bottom and doesn't show up when bleeding or flushing through the bleeder.

The pistons have visible wear lines, but i can't feel these if i run my nail over them.

The brake line is a braided one, aftermarket, with a blue plastic jacket. But it looks kinda old to me. Doesn't have a date on it (unless it's hiding on the back side which i can't see easily)
So i guess this is the moment to replace that one?

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 27, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LimaBiker posted:

The pistons have visible wear lines, but i can't feel these if i run my nail over them.

The brake line is a braided one, aftermarket, with a blue plastic jacket. But it looks kinda old to me. Doesn't have a date on it (unless it's hiding on the back side which i can't see easily)
So i guess this is the moment to replace that one?

The circled area, is that oil pooling there or is there a gap or chip in the o ring?

I would replace the rear line purely out of spite and age.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Its not in your head. Carbs that are dialed in are mostly better than fuel injection as far as general responsiveness and feel goes. There are also ways in which FI is better, but "feel" isnt one of them, feel being the immediacy combined with smoothness that comes from a carb that is tuned to react that way.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 27, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gorson posted:

The circled area, is that oil pooling there or is there a gap or chip in the o ring?

I would replace the rear line purely out of spite and age.

That's just some liquid, combined with some reflections. The ring is fully intact.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its not in your head. Carbs that are dialed in are mostly better than fuel injection as far as general responsiveness and feel goes. There are also ways in which FI is better, but "feel" isnt one of them, feel being the immediacy combined with smoothness that comes from a carb that is tuned to react that way.

I haven't paid too much attention to throttle feel, but i can say that the Duc Supersport and the KTM SMCR both have that very annoying low engine load choppy feeling.

The 2019 monster and the 2020 KTM duke 890r don't have that iirc. Of course all of those are fuel injected. I can say of the 2019 monster that it also isn't better than a 20 year older SV with carb.
But all in all, i was completely satisfied with the Monster.

I do recognize the sense of immediacy with my SV650. Just holding onto the bars a bit tighter, results in a response from the bike. It's magical. It's mind blowing how precise one can modulate dozens of kilowatts of power with just a mechanical system.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 27, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, dont get me wrong, FI bikes in general arent BAD, but they just dont react the same as a carbed bike, and some people (me) really like that carbureted feel

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Nah, it's just slightly more convenient / easier to maintain.

Slavvy posted:

I'm back in camp 'swollen brake hose restricting flow'

some kinda jackal posted:

That’s what my doctor calls it too.

My bike has a narrow urethra

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
pistons, seals, bores look fine to me. agreeing with slavvy on the hose. shelf life for normal brake lines is typically a decade. If it looks older than that it wouldn't hurt to replace it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ordered new brake line, and while i was at it, the rubber components that hide within the master cylinder, juuuust in case.
I'm not gonna touch the master cylinder if replacing the hose solves the problem, but it's worth a couple euro to not be frustrated if it turns out i need the rubbers anyway.

Stay tuned for next week's installment of 'Electronics engineer tries to fix mechanical things'!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

Does the configuration of a twin engine contribute anything to its qualities that a firing pattern wouldn’t? I’m thinking of v-twin vs parallel vs .. whatever the completely horizontal ones are called.

Don’t know enough about engines to know if that’s a stupid question, but I know enough about myself to know I don’t care if it is :twisted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Boxer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boxer? I hardly know ‘er

(Thanks)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Honda calls theirs "Horizontally Opposed" which is a much better marketing term than "flat".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gorson posted:

Honda calls theirs "Horizontally Opposed" which is a much better marketing term than "flat".

It's like all the psychiatric diagnoses, no matter how rational and friendly meaning they were at the time of introduction they eventually become a slur. "It's not flat, we don't use that term around here! It's horizontally opposed."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxer? I hardly know ‘er

(Thanks)
Hehe. And there technically is a distinction between a true boxer and a horizontally opposed setup, it depends on if they share a crankpin or not. If they share you could say it's a 180 degree V.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

prukinski posted:

Howdy howdy,

I've got a pseudo-nephew that's reasonably mechanically apt in a smart bush kid kind of way, but newish to riding and has some SV 650 problems. I've pointed him here to hammer y'all with questions, and no-doubt it'll be the best $10 he's ever spent on that beater POS. But in the meantime - as he's in a jam before a planned trip - here's what's confounding him while he rustles up a tenner:

Any troubleshooting thoughts?

sounds like carb icing, the SV is prone to it in cold damp conditions, there are heaters in the carb bowls, chack that they're connected.

edit: beaten, didnt see there was another page on the thread

echomadman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

Does the configuration of a twin engine contribute anything to its qualities that a firing pattern wouldn’t? I’m thinking of v-twin vs parallel vs .. whatever the completely horizontal ones are called.

Don’t know enough about engines to know if that’s a stupid question, but I know enough about myself to know I don’t care if it is :twisted:

Yes. The orientation of the cylinders determines how their balance/imbalances interact. A 90° v-twin doesn't need a balance shaft but a parallel twin with a 270° crank definitely does. This is why parallel twins will always be impure and lame compared to a v-twin no matter how good they get. A boxer is different again because it's basically a 180° parallel twin that balances itself - no coincidence they're also incredibly boring.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

How different is a fork seal/oil refresh for upside-down forks?

Just bought an '06 Hornet 600 and I've only ever owned upright forks.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

RadioPassive posted:

How different is a fork seal/oil refresh for upside-down forks?

Just bought an '06 Hornet 600 and I've only ever owned upright forks.

Send them to Slavvy, he lives on the other side of the world so for him they're just like upright forks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Oh I'm not sending them to Slavvy until I've tried it myself and made the whole situation much much worse.