Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The Keg has kinda dominated my social group in the non-winter periods when I go out during COVID because when you limit places to ones that let you eat outside it's still pretty good food for the price. Everything else is bars with garbage food.

Edit: no regrets about a Keg snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's fine. It's entirely fine.

Despite being a Recipe Unlimited brand, it hasn't yet been value engineered to absolute poo poo, and it's no more expensive than any other Cara chain. So in a world where your choices are Montana's, or East Side Mario's or The Keg, it is your least bad option.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

So in a world where your choices are Montana's, or East Side Mario's or The Keg, it is your least bad option.

God, living in Burlington is the loving worrrrrrrst

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Where does Mongo's fall on the scale of restaurants?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Are there any Earlsheads in the chat

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I moved out of the city almost two decades ago, and haven't thought about The Keg, Montana's, Kelseys, East Side Mario's, Earls, etc., for a long time. This whole line of discussion has been pretty nostalgic.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Randalor posted:

Where does Mongo's fall on the scale of restaurants?

Buffets and other similar places that encourage shoveling food onto your plate and that tend to attract a large number of clientele wearing jorts and wolf t-shirts are their own sub-genre.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Steven Del Duca spent $14,437 at the Keg? Now the Liberal leader has my vote
If you want to criticize Del Duca for chewing up tax dollars, fine. But do not question his — and my — favourite restaurant.

Someone buy this man an account

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

At least he didn't go to Baton Rouge

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CanPol 2022: What I will not tolerate is any slander of the Keg.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
gently caress there's a real fancy Keg MANOR here in Ottawa

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress there's a real fancy Keg MANOR here in Ottawa

Yeah we have <<<THE KEG MANSION>>>.

Steak chat. If you haven't had a steak in over 30 years where would you go in Toronto or surrounding area?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I would go to Sanagans and buy one, cover it in Barberians steak spice then grill it myself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Less Fat Luke posted:

The Keg has kinda dominated my social group in the non-winter periods when I go out during COVID because when you limit places to ones that let you eat outside it's still pretty good food for the price. Everything else is bars with garbage food.

Edit: no regrets about a Keg snipe

Your social group sounds like basic rear end people going to the loving Keg when I am sure there are tons of local places you can go to and not a chain.

I avoid mcdonalds-for-adults chains like the plague.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Your social group sounds like basic rear end people going to the loving Keg when I am sure there are tons of local places you can go to and not a chain.

I do too, so I just go to regular mcdonalds

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fresh fries and a McChicken are worth it.

I hate that it's so bad for you. :lol:

But if I am going out with friends for drinks and food - there's a fuckton of places with patio service here in Winnipeg. There's better food to try than another loving $12 plate of "bruschetta". Just this weekend I went to Trans-Canada Brewery here for their wood-fire pizza and a bowl of artichoke dip with homemade pita.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Slotducks posted:

Can't you simply dine in style at the Coat Factory?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The reason people hate The Keg isn't because the food is lovely -- it's perfectly passable, even good on occasion. It's because it lays bare the fact that restaurant food is just another commoditized thing, lacking in any kind of mystery or romance or creativity when you get right down to it, and that clashes with our idea of what fine dining should be.

It's like finding out that your quirky local Irish pub looks exactly the loving same as every other quirky local Irish pub outside of Ireland itself, because Guinness makes a business of selling people everything they need to create that exact atmosphere and they've got it down to a science.

Does it really matter to "support local business"? In a sense I suppose it does, but in another sense I've talked with bartenders and cooks and servers, and "gently caress yeah, I got hired at the Keg" is the common refrain because they make good tip money and get jerked around less than working for a small-business tyrant. At least the Keg, unlike Earls and that general category of restaurant, isn't a sad peeler bar for people too ashamed to admit to themselves that they want to see titty.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Listening to my coworkers lose their minds about the first Popeyes in Halifax has been surreal. Even for fast food quality we already had Mary Browns, but still some of them have sat in highway traffic for hours just to try a chicken sandwich.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Popeyes crushes Mary Browns.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

Popeyes crushes Mary Browns.

Popeyes fries a drat good bird, but if we're talking about chain fried chicken, bb.q chicken is way better, and when Koreans talk about "spicy" they aren't loving around.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I don’t understand going out to eat steak. It’s pretty much the easiest thing to cook. Just buy a quality cut from a butcher, salt generously and use a food thermometer to get it medium rare or whatever you want. When i go out to eat I would rather pay for something that’s too complicated or annoying to do at home.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
The keg, jack astors, east side Mario’s and every single other restaurant chain gets 90% of their food out of bags from a large manufacturer (source: I develop recipes for bags of sauce for a company that manufactures bags of sauce for chain restaurants)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Shofixti posted:

I don’t understand going out to eat steak. It’s pretty much the easiest thing to cook. Just buy a quality cut from a butcher, salt generously and use a food thermometer to get it medium rare or whatever you want. When i go out to eat I would rather pay for something that’s too complicated or annoying to do at home.

Yeah, definitely. Over 50% of my eating out/ordering in is sushi, because I really can't make that as well as an expert, but I can sure as gently caress grill a steak.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

DaysBefore posted:

Listening to my coworkers lose their minds about the first Popeyes in Halifax has been surreal.
Oh man, that's what it's been like for the KFC that just moved into my town, but scaled down a bit. I mean, I don't really care—eat where you like. But it's like listening to a bunch of rednecks cuing up to the feeding trough.

PT6A posted:

unlike Earls and that general category of restaurant, isn't a sad peeler bar for people too ashamed to admit to themselves that they want to see titty.
I forgot about that uniform controversy way back. Gross.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Agreed, I pay for things i have no chance of making good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah we have <<<THE KEG MANSION>>>.

Steak chat. If you haven't had a steak in over 30 years where would you go in Toronto or surrounding area?

Barberians, or The Octagon, if for some reason you wanted to leave Toronto.

Hy's is probably fine too.

Slotducks posted:

See also: Oshawa

PT6A posted:

unlike Earls and that general category of restaurant, isn't a sad peeler bar for people too ashamed to admit to themselves that they want to see titty.

I'm not certain, but I think The Tilted Kilt has closed

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 26, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm not certain, but I think The Tilted Kilt has closed

They took the concept too far, so it lost plausible deniability.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Surprisingly, my "Hooters but for rear end-men" pitch isn't getting the reception I had hoped at BDC

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

The Keg has the scale to bid on beef from the best farms and to keep the price of everything else reasonable. Modern Steak in Calgary, for example, is better food but not proportionate to the higher prices.

QED Keg is cringe but tasty, like Lin Manuel Miranda or Mountain Dew.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Vintersorg posted:

I mean partly, but as an example recently I wanted to take my parents out and the few nice restaurants I could find on a pleasant evening with patios wouldn't let me reserve patio seating. So we risked it and reserved Ja Bistro anyways (which is in Toronto, and fancy). Of course, patio is crammed. So forgive me for not wanting COVID again, lol.

Edit: This is despite Ja Bistro and others all using Open Table which already lets them segment seating areas like the bar and the counter, which they do. Common and annoying problem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

StoicRomance posted:

The Keg has the scale to bid on beef from the best farms and to keep the price of everything else reasonable. Modern Steak in Calgary, for example, is better food but not proportionate to the higher prices.

Counterpoint: Modern Steak, when I went, was exceptionally disappointing. The worst steak I've had at a restaurant in years, and really expensive. They agreed that they managed to gently caress up cooking three different steaks at our table, and gave us a huge gift certificate in addition to taking it off our bill, but... not ideal. You're hosting people and you want to take them out for a nice dinner, you don't want to deal with three steaks needing re-fired. On their best day, could they beat the Keg? Very possible. But I don't want to take the risk, consistency is a huge part of what makes a restaurant good or bad. I'd rather an 8/10 every day, rather than a 10/10 one day and a 5/10 the next.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Popeyes fries a drat good bird, but if we're talking about chain fried chicken, bb.q chicken is way better, and when Koreans talk about "spicy" they aren't loving around.

I do enjoy a hot bowl of buldak, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if it weren't for the hiccuping. That poo poo's embarrassing in public

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

abuse culture. posted:

The keg, jack astors, east side Mario’s and every single other restaurant chain gets 90% of their food out of bags from a large manufacturer (source: I develop recipes for bags of sauce for a company that manufactures bags of sauce for chain restaurants)

The quality that is produced for restaurants is also markedly better. I worked in an adjacent industry for a time, and side by side comparisons of Company X retail product vs their restaurant product is completely different. Often, they are produced by different divisions in the company that have little to no overlap or knowledge sharing.

Even if you see 'famous restaurant burger sauce' or something in your grocery, it won't be the same product used by the restaurant at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

StoicRomance posted:

like Lin Manuel Miranda

Did you not read the thread title?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'd only respect Del Duca if he spent that much money at an Award Winning Chinese Buffet.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Oh man, that's what it's been like for the KFC that just moved into my town, but scaled down a bit. I mean, I don't really care—eat where you like. But it's like listening to a bunch of rednecks cuing up to the feeding trough.

My local subreddit had people saying, "Finally!" about a Denny's coming into town. When there was a rumour that the planned construction wouldn't happen, people were upset.

Not to worry, that rumour was false and the construction is going ahead as planned

I like greasy spoon breakfast joints (and it's a drat sight better than the overpriced Cora's that was in the same lot), but we got a few of those nearby (unless Denny's serves something special that I don't know about).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sashimi posted:

I'd only respect Del Duca if he spent that much money at an Award Winning Chinese Buffet.

I just checked and Mandarin doesn't appear to exist outside of the GTA, so it's quite possible at least half the thread has no idea what this is a reference to.

mojo1701a posted:

I like greasy spoon breakfast joints (and it's a drat sight better than the overpriced Cora's that was in the same lot), but we got a few of those nearby (unless Denny's serves something special that I don't know about).

IME, Denny's is slightly worse than the absolute shittiest hole in the wall greasy spoon I've ever been to.

It's real bad in a way that isn't even a guilty pleasure.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 26, 2022

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

so it's quite possible at least half the thread has no idea what this is a reference to.
To be fair this can also be applied to Steven Del Duca.

But yeah, my bad making a Toronto joke in a national thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

Buffets and other similar places that encourage shoveling food onto your plate and that tend to attract a large number of clientele wearing jorts and wolf t-shirts are their own sub-genre.

Anyone remember Bonanza? I loved that place as a kid. Now I'm the jort wearer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!