Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Waking up to watch the video of the dogshit coward cops pinning down parents and pointing tasers at them as those kids were murdered.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Mr. Crow posted:

I know there will be no consequences but I do wonder if in the legal hell hole of the us there's a real shot at getting these worthless cops sued into the ground and otherwise disciplined. No Duty to Protect etc etc etc but I don't think that applies when they've already engaged the suspect, know he's armed and dangerous and then just run away when he enters a school and we KNOW they heard the gunshots inside and loving did nothing.

Maybe if I'm being really really really generous and optimistic they'll walk back that no duty to protect ruling if there is legal action and it doesnt just immediately resolve? Right??? RIGHT????

The Supreme Court outright invented the qualified immunity given to the police.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Yvershek posted:

The Supreme Court outright invented the qualified immunity given to the police.

that seems like a right that isn't defined in the constitution :thunk:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Zzulu posted:

How god drat toxic are american schools? Why do so many kids want to murder

Preeeeeetty bad. Like, want to kill yourself bad. Like do hosed up poo poo just to fit in so you don't get singled out bad. Like go on a shooting spree cause of all the hosed up poo poo you deal with from peers, parents, teachers, coaches, staff, and the crushing message of, "if you don't get an A, you won't get into a good school. If you don't get into a good school, you'll have to work at McDonald's the rest of your life" etc etc...
Just miserable for some.
I vowed never to send my kids to public school.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Just say mercenaries.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

a police force is state sponsored terrorism

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Don't blame public schools, that is 100% GOP playbook

The US has been heavily abused by neoliberalism.
The standard of living is much lower than the rest of the world.
People are heavily propagandized 24/7/365
Rampart militarization and corruption
It was founded on genocide and it never stopped.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

The best part of this analogy is that Samurai behaved exactly like modern cops. Prior to 1868 samurai had no "code of honor" as we know it (they did have one but it was all about being good at killing and killing often) and they were just soldiers who swore fealty to a local leader. There was a thing that was common with Samurai called tsujigiri which was whenever they thought up a new way to kill people or they received a new weapon, they would hang out on the roadside, sneaking up on random peasants and merchants, and testing their new killing techniques on them.

Huh, that's interesting. Makes me wonder what the concept of the "ronin" is, then, since that'd be a bloodthirsty roving samurai that didn't claim fealty. Would the modern equivalent just be a serial killer just having "fun"?

Also one of my favorite absolutely incorrect assumptions about the Western past is that Sheriffs would stand in the middle of town and have an honorable gunfight with a criminal after asking them to turn themselves in. In reality, it was more likely that the criminal would be taking a poo poo and a sheriff or someone else would roll up to the outhouse and blast holes in it, doors closed, before running off.

It's almost like the police were never honorable!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Should have told the cops the shooter was a dog

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The Bananana posted:

Preeeeeetty bad. Like, want to kill yourself bad. Like do hosed up poo poo just to fit in so you don't get singled out bad. Like go on a shooting spree cause of all the hosed up poo poo you deal with from peers, parents, teachers, coaches, staff, and the crushing message of, "if you don't get an A, you won't get into a good school. If you don't get into a good school, you'll have to work at McDonald's the rest of your life" etc etc...
Just miserable for some.
I vowed never to send my kids to public school.

When I was in elementary school, I took a hour long dump. All the teachers and administrators freaked out because I asked to use the bathroom and disappeared. So they frantically searched the school and eventually the assistant principal knocked on my stall and asked what the hell I was doing. I told her I was just being thorough and getting all the poop out.

loving public schools crush individuality.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
maybe the cops shouldn't have been standing around outside the school in their tactical LARP costumes while an active shooter was inside the school

v insensitive IMO what were they thinking

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
This is the rear end in a top hat bump in the ourobouros of American violence. The country was founded by a group of weirdo outcasts, shitheel bad faith actors, and outright perverts who grouped up to become violent lunatics and liked how rich they got so much they codified it into law. The violence never stopped since since and will never stop until the constitution is honest-to-God toilet paper.

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thank you for correcting this insult to Simpsons canon. You are a light in these dark times

You got it, boss

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

William Bear posted:

Hell yeah, a GOP nominee for Senate in Georgia just suggested setting up an official Horny Police.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1529817124256026624

The work of the DTCLAYMTLAWTLASM is never done...

Lawman 0 posted:

This guy has literal brain damage.

old beast lunatic posted:

we know he's a republican

Lol he’s definitely gonna win

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_uETgDsl4w

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

William Bear posted:

When I was in elementary school, I took a hour long dump. All the teachers and administrators freaked out because I asked to use the bathroom and disappeared. So they frantically searched the school and eventually the assistant principal knocked on my stall and asked what the hell I was doing. I told her I was just being thorough and getting all the poop out.

On the other hand, if my kid was missing for over an hour, and the excuse the school came up with was "he said he was taking a dump so we didn't check to make sure he didn't randomly get the poo poo kicked out of him or something", I might be a little miffed.

I guess it's really situational.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

William Bear posted:

I think being gone for an hour is a reasonable reason to be worried, although they should have checked the bathroom first.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Looking back now, it's understandable. Obviously. I guess I just look for any opportunity I can get to tell that story.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 26, 2022

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Did you at least clog the toilet with your hour-long poo poo?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'd love to see the estimated cost of 'reinforcing' schools. Converting all but one door to be exit only. Bulletproof glass. Guards.

Over the entire US.

And the GOP would rather do that then pass some pretty basic laws most people support but keeps Bubba from getting his 8th AR-15 this year.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

A Fancy Hat posted:

A guy I went to school with just posted that he's "Not surprised this happened in a culture that doesn't value life, one that aborts millions of babies and forces you to get an experimental vaccine."

Don't worry, though, he made sure to post a picture of his handgun a few weeks ago, just to show how cool he is.

Of course. That's the narrative now that it has been proven that a "good guy with a gun" was completely useless so they have to change the excuse.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zzulu posted:

How god drat toxic are american schools? Why do so many kids want to murder

I graduated during peak No Child Left Behind. I was a smart kid with undiagnosed ADD who struggled with being held at someone else's pace. Pretty much every single class I had from 6th through 12th grade went like:

During the first week we don't even start on the subject the class is about. Instead we're being taught test-taking strategies on how to pass tests without knowing any of the answers, because school funding was based on standardized test scores.

I start reading ahead in the textbook while sitting in class because I don't need the test taking strategies, I'm already extremely good at taking standardized form tests because I've been taught these test taking strategy lessons in virtually every class I've had for the last several years.

By the time the class cracks open the textbook in the 2nd/3rd/4th week I'm already 1/4 to 1/3 through the whole thing. The teacher notices that I seem to know the material well so they call on me to answer questions a lot. Then when I ask where they are or have to flip back to whatever chapter/page they're on the teacher gets mad at me for not following along with the class and tells me I need to stay with everyone else.

They spend an entire week covering one section (2-3 paragraphs) of one chapter of the textbook (No Child Left Behind was still fairly new, they had already been told to stop failing students but they were still at a point where they thought the way to do that was to hold up the entire class until the slowest student caught up. These days they just give all the students passing grades anyway) This is impossible for me and I start daydreaming and doodling, which turns into just putting my head down and sleeping through class.

On any given week we would be assigned around 25-30 hours of homework, because the classes slowing down to account for lagging students means only a small fraction of the actual material gets covered. That's 25-30 hours on top of the 37.5 hours a week we were already in class, so from the time I was about 11 years old I was expected to "work" almost 70 hours/week. The vast majority of material that ended up on tests was only learned via the homework. Most kids didn't do the homework, which is why they taught us test taking strategies to pass standardized tests without knowing the material.

I just flat out stopped doing homework when I was like 12 years old because I was good enough at writing bullshit papers and taking tests that I could pass every class with a D while getting a 0 on every single homework assignment, and as we said in America at the time, "D's get degrees". So the final 6 years of my public school education consisted of me being sent to a place where I just sat in a room for almost 40 hours a week trying to find ways to entertain myself while looking like I was actually paying attention (because if you looked like you were not paying attention you would get sentenced to more time in school aka detention or ISS).

By Senior Year I realized that we had a class called "Study Hall" offered at my school which was literally just corralling kids so they're not wandering around the world - we sat in the cafeteria in silence while the school resource officer stood guard over us to make sure no one spoke or interacted with each other, but other than that we were allowed to do whatever we wanted - listen to music, draw, do homework, whatever. The reason I found out about that class is because I dropped out of Physics because the teacher I had (who was new to teaching) told us that our final project for the year would be to build a 1/50th 100% working scale model of a rollercoaster built on a budget that had to be determined by us calling and surveying several contractors to find out how much they would charge in the real-world, just all this stuff that like, okay, that's a cool engineering challenge or whatever but the teacher told us she expected us to spend a minimum of 40 hours per week working on it throughout the entire semester. Literally everyone except for 3 people dropped the class and we all ended up in Study Hall for the rest of the year. The remaining 3 dropped the class after the first semester and spent the second semester in Study Hall with us.

I only took one actual class Senior year (on top of 2 hours of Study Hall and one hour of Latin which had a teacher who passed us all no matter what) which was a math class, it was the only credit I needed to graduate. I failed the class because the teacher spent every period arguing with students and never covered any actual material and I slept through it all. So technically I did not have all of the credits I needed to graduate. But the school graduated me anyway because they literally did not care, they were just rubberstamping graduations to get funding.

We all spend 12 years of our life in what is essentially daycare prison for kids.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 26, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its almost like were institutionalizing stupidity so the ruling class can continue the status quo or something

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Dear god gently caress no child left behind i remember that poo poo too.

I went to hs in AR and we had a hr once a week on fridays when we were supposed to work on our senior project or something like that.
That lasted 2 weeks. AR MS and AL had scored the lowest in literacy. So that hr was instead converted into a study time to BOOST LITERACY in 12th loving grade.
We had to write like simple 4-5 paragraph responses every friday and read some basic reading comprehension booklet because too many people didnt know how to loving read.
Burn this country down and start over again im tired and done with all of it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr. Crow posted:

Its almost like were institutionalizing stupidity so the ruling class can continue the status quo or something

I read a book that went over it. Called "Weapons of Mass Instruction"

Weapons of Mass Instruction: A Schoolteacher's Journey Through the Dark World of Compulsory Schooling https://g.co/kgs/qZ7qfB

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

How are u posted:

Waking up to watch the video of the dogshit coward cops pinning down parents and pointing tasers at them as those kids were murdered.

gently caress

don't see why you're upset, the cops did what they're paid to do

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

also lmao @ gbs making GBS threads out the hot take that the existence of public schooling is the cause of these shootings, amazing

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'd love to see the estimated cost of 'reinforcing' schools. Converting all but one door to be exit only. Bulletproof glass. Guards.

Over the entire US.

And the GOP would rather do that then pass some pretty basic laws most people support but keeps Bubba from getting his 8th AR-15 this year.

This will be next:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Over the entire US.

*proposes we arm teachers and fortify schools, votes to cut school funding yet again*

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sentinel posted:

Dear god gently caress no child left behind i remember that poo poo too.

I went to hs in AR and we had a hr once a week on fridays when we were supposed to work on our senior project or something like that.
That lasted 2 weeks. AR MS and AL had scored the lowest in literacy. So that hr was instead converted into a study time to BOOST LITERACY in 12th loving grade.
We had to write like simple 4-5 paragraph responses every friday and read some basic reading comprehension booklet because too many people didnt know how to loving read.
Burn this country down and start over again im tired and done with all of it.

High School Senior Tests in the early 2000s: "7) John has seven apples. He gives steve three apples. How many apples does John have now?"
Teachers in the early 2000s: "I know a lot of people struggle with Word Problems so everyone just skip number seven."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Monkey Fracas posted:

maybe the cops shouldn't have been standing around outside the school in their tactical LARP costumes while an active shooter was inside the school

v insensitive IMO what were they thinking
All that gear and the very same weapons we're all arguing over and that the shooter was using to brutally murder children trapped in a room with him for an hour strapped to their loving chests, and they are stopped by a loving door.

Over the entire US.

They aren't going to do poo poo. They don't want to do poo poo. Those are just excuses to do nothing. They aren't even proposing to do anything about any of this, they just don't want any gun regulations.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 26, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Reminder

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Didn’t GBS have a cool thread with hundreds of pages making fun of cops and then was shut down for making fun of cops? Someone should resurrect the thread.

Also hearing Cruz say that people want to come from all over the world to the US so don’t talk poo poo about how bad it is that kids are being shot in schools and mass shootings are only happening in the US is stupid as gently caress. Someone needs to get these people out of office.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Zombie Guy posted:

This will be next:

Don't be ridiculous.

They'd never give an immigrant a gun.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

also lmao @ gbs making GBS threads out the hot take that the existence of public schooling is the cause of these shootings, amazing

you liked school or something?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Eat poo poo, the state of public schools, culturally and systemically, can definitely be seen as a PART of the problem.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

petition to change Memorial Day to include kids murdered by mass shooters

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

They'd never give an immigrant a gun.
He's white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Eat poo poo, the state of public schools, culturally and systemically, can definitely be seen as a PART of the problem.

I'm glad you're thinking really critically about the situation instead of a knee jerk reaction to the only loving reason you can communicate in a reasonable manner with other Americans using shared experiences, language, and a general sense of culture that came via public schooling without being rich enough to hire private tutors or schooling.