Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In my experience sros are there to be creepy to the girls, recruit anyone ovee 6 foot to join the football team, and drive in a little golf cart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Get the gently caress out of here.

They have their OWN SWAT TEAM and this still happened?

Looks like 40% of their police budget needs to go towards firing these guys and training what is left.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852946254643203?t=xIGyXoDuTdUmHe66g7PzYA&s=19

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852949060534273?t=3MdaAhLIuTjflhdqnuodxQ&s=19

Wouldn't shock me if their SWAT team wasn't even called! The 40-minute gap is still a huge question - the cops very well might've noticed he was in the now-locked classroom, posted themselves outside, then absolutely everyone developed a severe case of the chickenshits. Then cloaked it like a hostage situation with the cops keeping parents away in the parking lot!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852946254643203?t=xIGyXoDuTdUmHe66g7PzYA&s=19

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852949060534273?t=3MdaAhLIuTjflhdqnuodxQ&s=19

Wouldn't shock me if their SWAT team wasn't even called! The 40-minute gap is still a huge question - the cops very well might've noticed he was in the now-locked classroom, posted themselves outside, then absolutely everyone developed a severe case of the chickenshits. Then cloaked it like a hostage situation with the cops keeping parents away in the parking lot!

They very much likely did the same thing they do during all mass shootings: Hide and worry about their own skin.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Plate carriers, ARs, high-cut helmets and they’re standing around like they’re at the loadout selection screen in a Call of Duty game instead of charging at the classroom.

You want gun control, fine. I want some loving cop control.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1529671100157894657

Does a BORTAC team seriously not have any means of breaching?

im still wondering if this was actually BORTAC doing this as planned or just a few BORTAC guys showing up, asking the cops whats up and going :eyepop: when they discover the cops clever scheme

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Which authorities? The ones calling Beto a "sick sumbitch" for pointing out their flaws?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
What in the gently caress

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1529856817777369089?t=yuCV_N8ElC-f5WDaygxliQ&s=19

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m gonna call it like I see it on this one.

Whether intentional or not — and it doesn’t loving matter either way — the cops helped facilitate child murder.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

He's been in rough shape for years. Also smoked for loving ages. Not exactly surprising.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eighty years ago today, a B-17F nicknamed Cherry was shot down over Belgium near Tournai. The kill claim was split between three Luftwaffe pilots: Gerhard Shöpfel of JG26, Hans Ehlers and Eugen Wloschinski of JG1. Eight of Cherry's crew perished, including my uncle Staff Sergeant Edward Blount, manning the starboard waist gun.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The police had no problem being aggressive to the unarmed loving parents.

loving cowards.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

The only thing that I'll say in the cops favor in this case (because they absolutely hosed up in the worst possible way in everything else) is them keeping the parents away. That's scene security. If there's that many cops at the location, they have more than enough engaged already or staging for an assault. Letting anyone get onto a still very active scene with a gunman still alive is bonkers. Adding armed and unarmed parents to the mix letting them run into the scene, and poo poo goes sideways really quick. We also don't even know if this video was recorded after the gunman was down and they needed to keep people away so they wouldn't mess up all of the evidence in what turned from an active scene into a crime scene.

That said, the parent's reactions are 100% justified. The cops would have to physically hold me back, too, cuz I'd want to rush in to save my kid, too.

Everything else in the police response is, IMO, a complete failure and indefensible. So please don't dogpile on me or tell me to kill myself for saying what I said in the above paragraph. I can assure you my brain tells me that more in a day than you ever could so leave that poo poo out.

This is gonna be a lengthy investigation. Due to the horrific nature of the crime and the well deserved public outrage against the police, I think that we'll get all of the minute details and exact sequence of events as investigators gather evidence and pinpoint what exactly happened. As we can already see, there's like 5 versions of events that happened according to initial reports. Unfortunately we have to wait a while for the facts.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 26, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Bored As gently caress posted:

The only thing that I'll say in the cops favor in this case (because they absolutely hosed up in the worst possible way in everything else) is them keeping the parents away. That's scene security. If there's that many cops at the location, they have more than enough engaged already or staging for an assault. Letting anyone get onto a still very active scene with a gunman still alive is bonkers. Adding armed and unarmed parents to the mix letting them run into the scene, and poo poo goes sideways really quick. We also don't even know if this video was recorded after the gunman was down and they needed to keep people away so they wouldn't mess up all of the evidence in what turned from an active scene into a crime scene.

Everything else in the police response is, IMO, a complete failure and indefensible. So please don't dogpile on me or tell me to kill myself for saying what I said in the above paragraph. I can assure you my brain tells me that more in a day than you ever could so leave that poo poo out.

This is gonna be a lengthy investigation. Due to the horrific nature of the crime and the well deserved public outrage against the police, I think that we'll get all of the minute details and exact sequence of events as investigators gather evidence and pinpoint what exactly happened. As we can already see, there's like 5 versions of events that happened according to initial reports. Unfortunately we have to wait a while for the facts.

Nah, you are absolutely correct in that the cops need to keep random civilians away from an active shooter.

You are also correct in that if they had enough people for crowd control, they had enough to breach and end that poo poo.

Those cops are the biggest LARPing cowards I have ever seen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, most SROs are just used as a way to punish kids rather than helping anyone.

Or in the case of the one at my high school, more interested in weirding out girls than his job.

The closest thing we had to a school shooting was that one day (I was a Junior at this point), a former student who'd pissed off some Asian gang got spotted at a nearby 7-Eleven. They were obviously looking for someplace safe so they raced over to our school (good headwork there :rolleyes:) because it was common knowledge that one door in the back was kept open for late arrivals. They never made it inside, though. In some :allears: nostalgia, the only weapon the Asian gang members were armed with was a 22LR *rifle*, but at close range it was good enough to kill the driver.

The point in my recounting this? In the confusion following the incident, they put *teachers* in the stairwells. No one knew if it was over at that point, all someone knew was there was gunfire in the rear parking lot and someone was hit. People wondered where our SRO was. He was "coordinating" and "waiting for backup." Nothing happened to him, because nothing ever happened inside the school, even though it was clearly the plan of the people in the car to run into the school, hoping the gang members wouldn't follow them in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That said, the parent's reactions are 100% justified. The cops would have to physically hold me back, too, cuz I'd want to rush in to save my kid, too.

No, I don't buy this. They tell mass shooting victims to fight back with anything, but these guys held parents back while they spent 40 minutes twiddling their thumbs.

Scene security is a poor excuse. Scene security was just an excuse to not get into the firing line.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if you don't want parents putting your scene security at risk then go the gently caress inside and do your job so that parents don't have to

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
"securing the scene" is so they can get every officer and department involved and start racking up that sweet sweet overtime. yall ever noticed how one dude barricaded in a room gets an 8 hour response from every department within 200 miles? thats why.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The only purpose of an SRO is to intimidate the students and reinforce the lessons of obedience and conformity that are the primary curricula of nearly all American public schools. I'm going to stop here because this isn't the thread for me to rant about how public schools should largely be abolished.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

A.o.D. posted:

The only purpose of an SRO is to intimidate the students and reinforce the lessons of obedience and conformity that are the primary curricula of nearly all American public schools. I'm going to stop here because this isn't the thread for me to rant about how public schools should largely be abolished.

well good because that's a stupid as hell opinion

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
According to my crystal bong, in the next few days we're probably going to find out:

The gunman suicided 5 minutes after locking the door and the BP officer killed a teacher thinking it was the gunman.

Repeat this phrase to unleash Jambi's curse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5kVvR8VQI

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'd be willing to give them a pass if they weren't slamming the parents to the concrete.
I'd be willing to give them a pass if they had made an attempt at the job.
I'd give them a pass if there were dead cops scattered across the playground.

I will not give them a pass for applying selective aggression to civilians when their grief and anger is the direct result of police inaction.
I will not give them a pass when they failed in the basics of doing the job.
I will not give them a loving pass for failing to be human loving beings.

They made a loving choice, and it was the wrong one. They don't deserve credit not doing the single job they are expected to. The ONE part of the social contract we all agreed on. We look the other way as they as an organization rob us, beat us, and murder us, with the expectation that when it's loving babies, they take the risk.
In a just world, the entire loving department would hang

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nope. The cops did absolutely nothing right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

well good because that's a stupid as hell opinion

SROs are an absolute waste of money and time. There's no evidence adding SROs makes anyone secure and they are directly involved in criminalizing and penalizing at risk students and getting the School to Prison pipeline going faster, including hitting kids with fines that they have to go to court for. Children having fines levied against them at loving school.

Worth noting this VERY SCHOOL just dumped a bunch of money into hardening the school's security. And it did nothing to stop this.

EDIT: Yeah you probably meant the abolish public school part, my mistake.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 26, 2022

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

boop the snoot posted:

if you don't want parents putting your scene security at risk then go the gently caress inside and do your job so that parents don't have to

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Five will get you ten that the investigation will last long enough that emotions will simmer down and vague blame will go to "training" and "procedures" with not a single person held accountable in any way.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

SROs are an absolute waste of money and time. There's no evidence adding SROs makes anyone secure and they are directly involved in criminalizing and penalizing at risk students and getting the School to Prison pipeline going faster.

Worth noting this VERY SCHOOL just dumped a bunch of money into hardening the school's security. And it did nothing to stop this.

I'm not even going to bother going out on a limb and just assume he meant the abolishing public schooling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

I'm not even going to bother going out on a limb and just assume he meant the abolishing public schooling.

Ah, yeah that part is stupid. That's a safe limb to go out on.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Five will get you ten that the investigation will last long enough that emotions will simmer down and vague blame will go to "training" and "procedures" with not a single person held accountable in any way.
Surely the union reps and the city's attorney are currently huddled over the police training manuals looking for a vaguely worded line in Section IV, subpart C(1)(k)(iii)(12) that will allow the cops and city to deflect blame for letting an entire classroom of kids and a teacher die.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

SROs are an absolute waste of money and time. There's no evidence adding SROs makes anyone secure and they are directly involved in criminalizing and penalizing at risk students and getting the School to Prison pipeline going faster, including hitting kids with fines that they have to go to court for. Children having fines levied against them at loving school.

I graduated HS in the 90s and our SRO's apparent job was to go to the smoke pit, tax each smoker a cigarette, smoke them and make the kids pickup his butts and put them in the ashtray.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
sure fire departments are a giant budgetary black hole, rife with overtime fraud and harbor some of the most virulent racists on the planet, but they will actually run into the burning building as opposed to locking the people in a room and then standing around while they all burn to death

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stealie72 posted:

Surely the union reps and the city's attorney are currently huddled over the police training manuals looking for a vaguely worded line in Section IV, subpart C(1)(k)(iii)(12) that will allow the cops and city to deflect blame for letting an entire classroom of kids and a teacher die.

Or they just do a ctrl-F for "in the judgement of the on scene commander"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CainFortea posted:

Nope. The cops did absolutely nothing right.

Check this anecdote out:

https://twitter.com/evanhill/status/1529828388176859138?t=sxgqWgksIPG31boSSHO9qA&s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Or setting the building on fire and shooting the survivors.

LMAO y'all crying the cops pushing dead kids parents when in 2020 Americans en masse were shot in the face with rubber bullets for having the audacity to be mad at the police for being violent racists.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lightpole posted:

Our schools suck rear end. They t ach conformity and obedience, and the curricula are set by politicians. They're daycare for poor and working class parents who don't have the means to secure a better education for their children. The system is designed to produce more zero prospect drones and it suceeds on that level. I'm not advocating some kind of ethnochristian home schooling scheme, but if you think the current public school system is good and should be preserved at all costs you can please rethink your opinion.

The whole thing is completely rotten.

Edit: I apologize, that was harsher than I meant. I need to chill out a bit.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 26, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Our schools suck rear end. They t ach conformity and obedience, and the curricula are set by politicians. They're daycare for poor and working class parents who don't have the means to secure a better education for their children. The system is designed to produce more zero prospect drones and it suceeds on that level. I'm not advocating some kind of ethnochristian home schooling scheme, but if you think the current public school system is good and should be preserved at all costs you can shove an entire school district sideways up your rear end and go gently caress yourself.

The whole thing is completely rotten.

The US doesn't really have a public school system, which maybe is part of the problem. It's all run at the state/county/city level, which yields widely different results even within a 50 KM radius.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Also: Public school is a GOOD thing. We don't have a true Public School system.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

psydude posted:

The US doesn't really have a public school system, which maybe is part of the problem. It's all run at the state/county/city level, which yields widely different results even within a 50 KM radius.

And the GOP tries to cripple and/or kill the Dept. of Education every chance it gets to prevent national "interference" in state dominion over schools.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: Exactly

CommieGIR posted:

Other countries use a similar setup of education being managed at the state/provincial level (Canada, Germany, Switzerland) and manage just fine. I think there's just a more active role that the federal governments play in each of those countries (except maybe Switzerland, but they're weird and don't count), both in terms of funding as well as setting curriculum quality.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

A universal education system that teaches history, finance, science, civic responsibility, critical thinking, etc. Is absolutely necessary. The thing we have that is called a public education does very little of that and is one of this society's evils.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
not a public policy genius but that's pretty goddamn far down the list of societal evils at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

A universal education system that teaches history, finance, science, civic responsibility, critical thinking, etc. Is absolutely necessary. The thing we have that is called a public education does very little of that and is one of this society's evils.

maffew buildings posted:

not a public policy genius but that's pretty goddamn far down the list of societal evils at the moment

This. Find a better target than Public Education, like say the GOP actively undermining it.