Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

We can lock children in the schools with only one exit, just so long as nobody politicizes it when one burns down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1529670885770027008?s=21&t=bM3UrtNs3qzbTrxDFRd-pg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

We can lock children in the schools with only one exit, just so long as nobody politicizes it when one burns down

How good are these kids at sewing? Seems like we can kill two birds with one stone.

I will admit I am somewhat looking forward to the GOP absolutely shredding the Uvalde police as cowards and watching their brother policemen across the nation heave them under the bus

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

zoux posted:

I will admit I am somewhat looking forward to the GOP absolutely shredding the Uvalde police as cowards and watching their brother policemen across the nation heave them under the bus

They'll avoid that topic like gun control and parrot the same solutions they always do. More guns, more cops, maybe arm teachers.

Honestly arming teachers seems like the best of those dumbass ideas. At least the teachers tried to protect their students even while unarmed. They are braver than cowardly cops. How many Uvalde teachers ran out of the school and abandoned their class? Zero.

Defund police. Give money to the teachers. Take away the cops gear to and redistribute it to teachers, because the cops aren't using it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Defund police. Give money to the teachers.

But only money for ammo and not actual school supplies, or "banned books" or any of that CRT nonsense!!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

They'll avoid that topic like gun control and parrot the same solutions they always do. More guns, more cops, maybe arm teachers.

Honestly arming teachers seems like the best of those dumbass ideas. At least the teachers tried to protect their students even while unarmed. They are braver than cowardly cops. How many Uvalde teachers ran out of the school and abandoned their class? Zero.

Defund police. Give money to the teachers. Take away the cops gear to and redistribute it to teachers, because the cops aren't using it.

I’ll bet $100 that an armed teacher will stop a school shooter, keep their gun at the ready in the event there’s a second shooter, and then be shot by a panicked cop.

Bet goes up to $500 if the teacher is a POC.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

spaced ninja posted:

We already “harden” schools, but just the predominantly black ones. The high school and middle school I went to in south Dallas in the mid 90s only had one way in or out because they could only afford one metal detector so they just chained the rest of the doors shut. Fun stuff.
That sounds ... against fire regulations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’ll bet $100 that an armed teacher will stop a school shooter, keep their gun at the ready in the event there’s a second shooter, and then be shot by a panicked cop.

Part of teacher training should be to bar armed cops from entering the school. Didn't the cops shoot someone during this Uvalde killing spree? I mean, shoot someone that obviously not the killer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I’d rather $100 of new funding goes to teachers for every $1 that goes to cops. Give money to cops by all means, but you’ll have to match it 100:1 for teachers!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But you guys know what is gonna happen right

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

cat botherer posted:

That sounds ... against fire regulations.

That has never stopped capitalism.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

But you guys know what is gonna happen right

AG Jaworski would have arrested the entire UPD!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DaveLeeFT/status/1529830077718044672

lol I'm gonna go down and try and get a quote as Giuseppe, the Outrageous Italian Foreign Correspondent

https://twitter.com/AymanM/status/1529824218082209792

Not a solvable problem because the people in charge believe the solution is mandatory Christianity.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 26, 2022

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I don't think they've done that to a teacher yet, but they did it to an innocent guy outside of Denver just back in November. The dude heard gunfire, walked out of the Army-Navy surplus store, and stopped a would-be mass shooter in the process of shooting up a downtown square. The good samaritan was then shot and killed by a cop within the next minute, because there were already multiple cops at a police substation right there in the area. What were those cops doing before shooting the wrong guy?

quote:

• From a police station on the square, three officers, including Brownlow (cop who later shot the wrong guy), observed Troyke (the mass shooter), who was dressed in black, walk out of the parking lot carrying a rifle. They did not engage him because they felt they wouldn’t be adequately protected if he started shooting at them. Troyke walked out of their view, and then Brownlow heard a volley of gunfire.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Train teachers to recognize that cops are also a threat and to respond accordingly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Train teachers to recognize that cops are also a threat and to respond accordingly.

I honestly wonder if this would hold up in a jury

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
"When I saw the cop I legitimately feared for my life"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Give teachers all the cops funding and equipment. No more bake sales for books and social studies teachers can take turns rolling the MRAP in the playground

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe the teachers would at least risk their lives for the students, the cops clearly will not.

I'm not a gung-ho, lay-my-life-down, I-woulda-stopped-911-if-I-was-on-the-plane guy, I probably also would not have gone in to a school and faced a guy with an assault rifle to save a bunch of kids.

But I'm not a cop. If you are a cop at a school, you know that this is a possibility. It should be the one thing you are ready for above all else.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If it was a BORTAC agent/team that ended this it actually tracks with Federal LE training which is "just end the threat, pile your dead bodies on the guy if you have to" vs regular LE training which is "go home safe"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The cops who went to get their own kids out and then hosed off, that's what really gets me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I believe the teachers would at least risk their lives for the students, the cops clearly will not.

I'm not a gung-ho, lay-my-life-down, I-woulda-stopped-911-if-I-was-on-the-plane guy, I probably also would not have gone in to a school and faced a guy with an assault rifle to save a bunch of kids.

But I'm not a cop. If you are a cop at a school, you know that this is a possibility. It should be the one thing you are ready for above all else.

This is like the one singular situation where a "military mindset" is the right one for a cop to have.

But the cops actually just want all the fun toys with none of the "certain missions are more important than your life" responsibilities or the ego-crushing training required to run into mortal danger knowing that there's little chance you'll come back.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

This is like the one singular situation where a "military mindset" is the right one for a cop to have.

But the cops actually just want all the fun toys with none of the "certain missions are more important than your life" responsibilities or the ego-crushing training required to run into mortal danger knowing that there's little chance you'll come back.
national bill to make cops do six hours of updown drills a day like infantrymen

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Who is “authorities”

https://mobile.twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852946254643203

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

zoux posted:

The cops who went to get their own kids out and then hosed off, that's what really gets me.

entire PD lined up in the office signing their kids out while the sound of firecrackers is echoing down the hallways

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DPS or the DoJ. Since Steve McCraw was one of the chief timeline confusers, I don't have a lot of faith in DPS to investigate this.

https://twitter.com/jyarow/status/1529790004586856450

Hopefully Gang Warfare will be gentrified soon

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
DoJ doesnt have any statutory authority to do anything and hell im not even sure DPS does. this is before we even get to the "would they do something" area

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not everyone needs a gun but some people, the most scared people, need guns that can cut down hundreds of people

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1529838047780655106

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
in case youre wondering how the "cops let them die" argument is going in my very red local news Facebook comments section, a third are very mad, a third just want the truth to come out and we cant rush to judgement and the last third, the people whose brains are irrevocably broken, are calling this a liberal conspiracy and calling the DPS liars and they did great its a dangerous job and you know all the normal crazy stuff

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/26/ted-cruz-angrily-quits-interview-gun-control

Cruz turned. Leaning close to the reporter and jabbing his finger, he said: “Why is it that people come from all over the world to America? Because it’s the freest, most prosperous, safest country on earth.

“And save me the propaganda.”

:wtc:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This state's voters suck. Ted Cruz just keeps on truckin'.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[citation needed]

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I just wrote to Ted Cruz and John Cornyn about gun control; does anyone know how long it takes to get a response?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

I just wrote to Ted Cruz and John Cornyn about gun control; does anyone know how long it takes to get a response?

you what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

3-4 business decades

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hahaha.

Thank you. First laugh I've had in 2 days

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Lastdancer posted:

I did that once before, think it was a week total turn around, heard sooner from Cornyn than Cruz.Think the Cornyn response even seemed somewhat personalized.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You in fact did not write them, they have no such record of a message ever being delivered. Please try reaching out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sending something to ted that he's just going to get off on, smh