Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Jon Anderson's been doing a limited tour - six dates - with the Paul Green School of Rock. I had a ticket to the first stop and happened to check his Facebook and Anderson mentioned he was making a few setlists to sell at each show. They were pretty cheap, less than the cost of the tour shirt, so I picked one up and even more cheaply stuck it in a frame with a bit of posterboard behind it.

The show was fine. It's teens for the band and some vocals and Anderson was having fun with it. There were some mashups, snippets of others' songs that led into a snipped of a Yes song. Lenny Kravitz's Fly Away into Long Distance Runaround, Kashmir into Don't Kill the Whale and Lose Yourself into the Jon & Vangelis song, State of Independence. Anderson did a bit of backing vocals on Fly Away, but let the kids handle Kashmir and Lose Yourself.

He’s always seemed like a good guy. Weird thing to do but I bet everyone had fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hugging Jon Anderson remains on my bucket list.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There's plenty of videos on YouTube from the tour. The Paul Green kids work hard and thankfully the crowd was great to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckqj6Yue0A

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Primus EP is out. The lyrics will be instantly dated but musically it's really solid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I did not expect a Primus/Gogol Bordello collab. I'm glad it happened, but really wish it happened under different circumstances. Same for Pink Floyd/Boombox.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alex Lifeson's new band, Envy of None, has released their first album. It's good! Kind of like industrial prog with really ethereal female vocals.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Pure Reason Revelution dropped and wastes no time, definitely a heavier rock vibe than the comeback album. Feels like a treat this band even still exists, let alone sound so good

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Really glad that despite of how covid interfered with their touring schedule, they didn't decide to go on an indefinite hiatus again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

New Primus EP is out. The lyrics will be instantly dated but musically it's really solid.

Hell yesss.

Primus lyrics rule :c00lbert:

e: this ep is great so far

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
So thanks to my monumentally cool brother I will be going to see Porcupine Tree in September. I know that Wilson and Co. will be playing stuff off the as of yet unreleased album but anyone have any wishes for things that need to be played in set?

I'm hoping for Hatesong, and maybe some bit of Voyage 34, and anything off Fear Of A Blank Planet.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

JohnnyQPublic posted:

So thanks to my monumentally cool brother I will be going to see Porcupine Tree in September. I know that Wilson and Co. will be playing stuff off the as of yet unreleased album but anyone have any wishes for things that need to be played in set?

I'm hoping for Hatesong, and maybe some bit of Voyage 34, and anything off Fear Of A Blank Planet.

jealous. they have confirmed they'll be playing anesthetize but everything else is a mystery

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This answers a question

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Nate Navarro is extremely good, he's an awesome addition to the lineup.
He actually did some work with Devin Townsend on the Empath tour (and album?) back in 2020.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
So with PT releasing a new album ( I think next month) is anyone else a little afraid? My brother made the good point that these may just be some old demo's that weren't album worthy and Wilson and Co and decided to cobble them together and make an album. Granted I don't think Wilson would do that but in the back of my mind I'm afraid it would happen.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

strap on revenge posted:

jealous. they have confirmed they'll be playing anesthetize but everything else is a mystery

gently caress yeah!

Rust Martialis posted:

This answers a question

Double-gently caress yeah! (Who was the idiot who thought they'd actually go with a pre-recorded bass track? You deserve a flogging).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

JohnnyQPublic posted:

So with PT releasing a new album ( I think next month) is anyone else a little afraid? My brother made the good point that these may just be some old demo's that weren't album worthy and Wilson and Co and decided to cobble them together and make an album. Granted I don't think Wilson would do that but in the back of my mind I'm afraid it would happen.

they've said it's all been written between the incident and now, so it's not recycled. I don't really like either of the first two singles though, and I know I'll miss Colin Edwin's grooves 😔

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

strap on revenge posted:

they've said it's all been written between the incident and now, so it's not recycled. I don't really like either of the first two singles though, and I know I'll miss Colin Edwin's grooves 😔

Well that is a start, I can only hope that it's better than Wilson's last solo project.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Third cut from Closure/Continuation. Hard to believe it's just one month away now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQ7fwkzBYA

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

Jedit posted:

Third cut from Closure/Continuation. Hard to believe it's just one month away now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQ7fwkzBYA

It sounds good...but so far of these singles released nothing has really grabbed me. Maybe it's because the earlier albums are such masterpieces, I have exceedingly high expectations.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JohnnyQPublic posted:

It sounds good...but so far of these singles released nothing has really grabbed me. Maybe it's because the earlier albums are such masterpieces, I have exceedingly high expectations.

Agreed. I can’t really put my finger on it. In its way it just sounds like more Steven Wilson as opposed to a band that happens to have him in it.

Obviously he’s the main writer and has been for PT for almost all of it, but the records themselves felt like the collaborative output of a band, as distinct from his solo stuff that feels much more like the output of one man played by a bunch of people.

I dunno. I’m hyped and I’m not. Even just the visual treatment of the teasers feels like a continuation of his solo visual aesthetic with the all-caps Helvetica and whatnot.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Harridan is my jam, definitively one of the best among both pt/solo stuff

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

Jeherrin posted:

Agreed. I can’t really put my finger on it. In its way it just sounds like more Steven Wilson as opposed to a band that happens to have him in it.

Obviously he’s the main writer and has been for PT for almost all of it, but the records themselves felt like the collaborative output of a band, as distinct from his solo stuff that feels much more like the output of one man played by a bunch of people.

I dunno. I’m hyped and I’m not. Even just the visual treatment of the teasers feels like a continuation of his solo visual aesthetic with the all-caps Helvetica and whatnot.

I'm curious as to if anyone has a rumored set list for the tour? I know it will encompass a lot of the new stuff, but I'm curious to see if he will crack out any deep cuts. For all you lot who have seen PT before do they play any deep cuts or do they stick to what people expect to hear.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I'm curious as to if anyone has a rumored set list for the tour? I know it will encompass a lot of the new stuff, but I'm curious to see if he will crack out any deep cuts. For all you lot who have seen PT before do they play any deep cuts or do they stick to what people expect to hear.

Saw them tour anaesthetise and the incident. At one of those, I forget which—probably the former because the latter was probably all disc2 stuff after the main LP—they played Russia on Ice which I understand is not common. Some other deadwing/in absentia stuff, and I want to say they did Every Home Is Wired as well.

Anaesthetise gig was in my top three of all time. The choreography between visuals and music was mind blowing.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Alan White has died - https://twitter.com/AlanWhiteYes/status/1529869562119786498

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bummer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NO :smith:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Yes

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
drat.

Will be spinning Drama on the turntable later.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

drat.

Will be spinning Drama on the turntable later.

I just put on Release, Release, which is better than I remembered.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Happy birthday, Tony Levin!

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
In case anyone missed it, the new PRR album is out, and its really, really good. Seems more structured, complex, and heavier than their last, which was also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09OmGyGWjmc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfyq7l3pHs

Some information on the tour set:

* The entire of C/C will be played.
* The rest of the set includes some deep cuts, and is mostly drawn from Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia.
* There is at least one track on the set list that has never been played live before.
* The D on the "track list" of the album is Dignity.

There's also a couple of other things come out about the tour. Nathan Navarro will be on bass in place of Colin Edwin (Wilson did the bass parts for the album himself), and Randy McStine is replacing John Wesley on guitar/backing vocals.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022

Jedit posted:

Some information on the tour set:

* The entire of C/C will be played.
* The rest of the set includes some deep cuts, and is mostly drawn from Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia.
* There is at least one track on the set list that has never been played live before.
* The D on the "track list" of the album is Dignity.

There's also a couple of other things come out about the tour. Nathan Navarro will be on bass in place of Colin Edwin (Wilson did the bass parts for the album himself), and Randy McStine is replacing John Wesley on guitar/backing vocals.

This is good news for me, although I would love to hear Hatesong performed live.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm looking forward to the release of the Album of the Year on the 24th, let me tell you.

(I am, of course, referring to Long, Long Road by Arthur Brown.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Final preview from C/C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yjtkTitsA

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I haven't listened to any of the new PT album yet. I want to hear it all in one big go on the 24th.

Which is apparently also the same day the new Coheed and Cambria album comes out :toot:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is definitely the most I've liked any of the teasers for the upcoming PT. The others didn't do a whole lot for me, but then again I only listened to them once when they came out and didn't give them another shot.

Kazinsal posted:

I haven't listened to any of the new PT album yet. I want to hear it all in one big go on the 24th.

Which is apparently also the same day the new Coheed and Cambria album comes out :toot:
:bisonyes:

e: https://twitter.com/themarsvolta/status/1538326485546967041

WHAT COULD IT MEAN :tinfoil:

The coordinates are for Grand Park in LA

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 19, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.facebook.com/TheMarbleShrine/posts/pfbid02f8UDdcprrMyxAHL9AqmpzuU7dUPf5WhvonHvW8Y69k6TBdqiwz5K2dR9eyjBVHEQl

quote:

This isn’t a show, but a listening booth for a new song from a new album (and an upcoming tour this fall, from what we can decipher).
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, new TMV song AND a new TMV album AND a new TMV tour?! :aaaaa:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Kazinsal posted:

:nice:
I'm pretty hyped for both of them.

Although I'm gonna listen the C&C first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yvF7Lngr8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTC3BkK-WUE

New TMV song isn't my favorite of theirs. It's cool to hear Cedric on vocals again but it doesn't have the wild energy of their earlier releases.