Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

I need to buy a bike and got no idea what im doing, i just need it for commuting to work and back which is only 4 miles, but i want something decent and im guessing id be upset with like some $150 bike off amazon. Im kinda of leaning towards idea of one of the ones that has electric motor also to make life easier when in going up hill and it is 110 outside, but hoping for smart people to tell me what to do. Thanks thread

Whatever you get avoid bikes that have freewheels (whole gear cluster screws onto the wheel). What you want is a wheel with a freehub and a cassette (gears slip on the wheel kinda like putting a socket on a rachet, held in place by a lockring) and get a bike with 8 or more gears on the back. The shop should point those features out to you.

Other than that get something simple and light.

Kona Dew, Giant Escape, Marin Fairfax (or DSX if you want real fancy), Specialized Sirrus, Trek FX. Canondale Quick. Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

to be clear too, those things are potentially fine on a used bike, but they're old standards and so indicate cheapness when buying a new bike

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The biggest reason to avoid 7 speed is because you're essentially stuck with it, and quick release freewheel hubs break axles way more than QR freehub wheels.

If you find used and it has those features ya go for it, but there's huge benefits to longevity if you go up that one step.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought a gravel bike, I am unsure of how I am faster on it than I was on my actual, built for the road, road bike.

I now see why people really enjoy gravel bikes, even if most of what I am doing is pavement (though that will have to change as there are some nice looking connectors out by me that aren't paved).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I bought a gravel bike, I am unsure of how I am faster on it than I was on my actual, built for the road, road bike.

I now see why people really enjoy gravel bikes, even if most of what I am doing is pavement (though that will have to change as there are some nice looking connectors out by me that aren't paved).

For me moving from tubed small road tires to wider tubeless tires -> more grippy feeling and less road buzz -> more comfortable to keep a sorta aero position and more confidence to push harder -> higher speeds on average

Being able to just go on almost every path you encounter to explore cool places is the best, and being able to do it away from cars is even better.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is your body position more comfortable? I found my speed improved when I went away from an aggressive race oriented posture, probably because my fitness didn’t support that posture. Or maybe it’s aerodynamics [insert Jan Heine dissertation on tire width here]

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

PoorPeteBest posted:

Is your body position more comfortable? I found my speed improved when I went away from an aggressive race oriented posture, probably because my fitness didn’t support that posture. Or maybe it’s aerodynamics [insert Jan Heine dissertation on tire width here]

I wouldn't say it's something I notice, my previous bike was more an endurance style bike (2004 Specialized Roubaix Elite).

I am going to convert it to tubeless today, that should make the feel even better.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thanks for info, going to hit the bikeshop next to my office after work today to browse a little.

next question though, does anyone have any experience with Wing eBikes? I'm, still kinda on the wanting to go ebike route and they seem right in the price range I am looking for, but all the reviews im seeing are either "THIS BIKE IS GREAT SO IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!" posted 3 years ago or "THIS IS A HUNK OF poo poo THAT BROKE DAY 1 AND CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPLETELY GHOSTS ME" posted 8 months ago

I guess they are 7 speed gears though, which EvilJoven says to avoid, still an issue if it is ebike? or would that make any difference?

Nooner fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 26, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There’s an ebike thread that can probably give better advice on specific brands/models if you’re leaning that way.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Nooner posted:

Thanks for info, going to hit the bikeshop next to my office after work today to browse a little.

next question though, does anyone have any experience with Wing eBikes? I'm, still kinda on the wanting to go ebike route and they seem right in the price range I am looking for, but all the reviews im seeing are either "THIS BIKE IS GREAT SO IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!" posted 3 years ago or "THIS IS A HUNK OF poo poo THAT BROKE DAY 1 AND CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPLETELY GHOSTS ME" posted 8 months ago

I guess they are 7 speed gears though, which EvilJoven says to avoid, still an issue if it is ebike? or would that make any difference?

That bike looks like 300-400 bucks worth of bike with a motor+battery bolted on made by a company without any experience. Not a terrible deal per se, but definitely a bike I would expect to fail in multiple ways within a couple of years, and I wouldn't recommend to a newbie.

If you're riding 4 miles you won't need an ebike, even if there are hills or if you're out of shape. Grab a bike from a decent local shop, lots of suggestions have been given. For 1300 bucks you'll get a very nice hybrid bike from a reputable company that'll last you decades if serviced regularly.q

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah you're deffo going to get a much nicer bike for the money at any price point if you skip the ebike

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
That is the sense i needed talked into me. Thank you guys

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah you're deffo going to get a much nicer bike for the money at any price point if you skip the ebike

1000%. The price point for a decent used bike for commuting should be like $500-700 depending on your local market, a new commuter should be around $1k, but I wouldn't buy an ebike cheaper than a Rad Power Bike that's like $2k because the cheaper ones than that are just too unreliable.

I would just go to a reputable bike shop with a big used supply, tell them what you want and your budget (tell them a budget a little bit lower than you actually want to pay to leave room for helmet, lights, if you want a rack, etc), and listen to their advice. It will cost a little bit more than buying from a random person on craigslist or facebook marketplace or whatever but you'll have a higher confidence that you aren't buying a dud bike that will break down immediately - a reputable shop will have had their mechanic do service and inspection on it before they sell it to you.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 26, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Nooner posted:

That is the sense i needed talked into me. Thank you guys

:krust:

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming
Does anyone have some bike rack (for cars) recommendations? My car already has crossbars on the roof and no hitch so I'm hoping to get a roof rack. I've been looking at both fork-mount and the wheel loop style. I don't have any problem taking the front wheel off. I'd mainly be transporting a steel touring bike I'm taking with me on some trips this summer.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

regulargonzalez posted:

Are you gonna use it just for commuting, or also for exercise / fitness, and if so on paved roads, gravel, hardpack dirt?

E: oh just commuting. Get a Trek FX, Giant Escape, or Specialized Sirrus. They all come in several tiers and at that level each dollar spent gets you significant upgrades, so get the best you feel comfortable spending on.

To add on to this, I'd take Specialized off the list. They have a much worse spec for the price than Trek or Giant. $1200 for a Sirrus with microshift / $775 for Tourney parts and hi tensile fork is 😦

Giant Escape Disc 1 or Trek FX 2 Disc are best bang for the buck. One step down for either isn't terrible except I think you lose a lot by going to an alloy fork instead of carbon.

I think that unfortunately, the under $1200 range is where you see the biggest COVID pricing impact. I bought my first bike 7 years ago, a Fuji Absolute with 2x9 Tiagra and a carbon fork for $650ish. That's roughly comparable to the $999 Trek, which means 50% inflation in 7 years. That said, given how many miles I put on that Fuji it still would have been a bargain at that price.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 26, 2022

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If you can find Marin bikes they make well specced bikes for the $.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you can find Marin bikes they make well specced bikes for the $.

Can't speak from personal experience, but 3 of my LBS are stocking almost exclusively Marin, so there must be something to it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
First bike shop did not have any bikes for sale, second had a giant escape but it was free wheel and 7 gear on the back so i didnt get it ):

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My daily rider is a classic , 7-speed freewheel ad-hoc cruiser cum cargo bike

But for 300 dollars I have gotten such an incredible amount of daily riding from it

I do find myself wishing for a granny gear or something lower but it's definitely good enough to ride round the neighbourhood

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have a Sirrus x 2.0, it's my first real bike and I like it a lot.

Here it is being shiny and racecar-red, next to my partner's aptly named GIANT and 20kg of chicken feed. We just bought the cart off ebay and this was the test run, went pretty well and the dog had a great time.

I haven't had a bike since I was a kid, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Suspension would be nice though, because the roads around here are utter garbo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nvm

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 27, 2022

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

cursedshitbox posted:

Its not where the product is made its the scrutiny of the quality control involved in every step of the process.
Of course, this scrutiny in qc is part of what drives the cost. developmental costs are another.
You reach a (un)happy medium with cloning the parts on the line and stamping em out en masse without a gently caress given about QC or where design dragons lie due to the lack of QC or said fucks.

1000% this. I’m an electrical engineer and have seen more PCB fabrication and assembly issues since the start of Covid than the prior 10 years of my career combined. Manufacturers are dealing with a lot of inconsistencies across their entire supply chain. Now is not the time to cheap out on components that could risk your life if they fail.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I also wanted to mention how sexy purple and oil slick bits are with a titanium frame. Deliver my loving cranks so I can build this, Cane Creek :argh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

resident posted:

I also wanted to mention how sexy purple and oil slick bits are with a titanium frame. Deliver my loving cranks so I can build this, Cane Creek :argh:

Which frame is that?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Epic accidental troll/spam email.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/EAfBNBN.mp4

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

numberoneposter posted:

Epic accidental troll/spam email.

I hate this poo poo so so much. I use Strava but I don't like Strava because it pings parts of my brain that stop me having a relaxed ride. I am always competing against myself and to a lesser extent, others. On one of my regular routes there is a short but sharp climb of around 250m at 12%, it's a bit of a shock to the system on a mostly flat area. Some of the segment times for that climb could only of been done in a car or on a motorbike, we're talking 33kph (over 20mph). The people may be all leg muscles but that seems obscenely fast for that climb.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It's gonna get flagged. I only got 2 emails. :smug:

Strava rules, I'm not really riding right now but I still love it. We've organized leadouts to get specific segments. I've done insane tailwind rides to get a segment, that is now like totally tailwind group ride territory. I'm a big boi even at race weight so I've committed myself to the first ramp for someone to get the Kom. Technical power descents, I just made that up, are my territory. I love it.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 28, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I have a couple magic happenstance bus/rv drafting segments that will never be taken. Unless someone drafts a faster bus.

Spend enough time on the road and these things happen.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

SoylentCola posted:

relaxed ride. I am always competing against myself and to a lesser extent, others.
Sorry for doing three posts in a row but you can always just chill and go on bike adventures and strava is a good way to keep track. Even if you delete strava the leader boards exist and there is always someone faster, including your future self.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

are you the goon that works at strava

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

numberoneposter posted:

Sorry for doing three posts in a row but you can always just chill and go on bike adventures and strava is a good way to keep track. Even if you delete strava the leader boards exist and there is always someone faster, including your future self.

Don't get me wrong, I am getting better at ignoring it but Strava is very good at scratching the competitive itch in my head. I just don't get why people juice Strava? I tend to use Komoot primarily for route planning and tracking but I am using Strava to track a charity thing I'm doing, once done it's coming off.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Most of the truly ridiculous times are just people that have accidentally driven the route and just not noticed/cared because they're not Big Strava Nerds, and if it's not a locally prized segment they'll just never get flagged.

Also some people can get up short steep climbs riiiiidiculously fast so don't automatically rule that out either.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Sometimes it's also a GPS/strava error - there's a few segments near me where the KOM is someone who has a max speed of 13kph and then an average speed of like 90. I assume this isn't intentional on the uploader's part.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

resident posted:

That’ll give you a chance to remount the tire so the Rene Herse text is over the valve stem!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Also, some people just forget to end their rides on their bike computers. It happens. :shrug:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

FWIW if you want basic gps ride tracking on your phone without all the superfluous gamifying, Fitmeter is pretty solid. Also their privacy policy as described in the iOS app store is significantly less invasive than strava or mapmyfitness

e: and if you plop the $5 for premium the privacy policy is basically as uninvasive as is possible for a phone app. nearly everything invasive in the free version is related to advertising, and the $5 version is ad-free

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 28, 2022

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I have several segments in Japan that were recorded on the bullet train that have yet to be flagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I have several segments in Japan that were recorded on the bullet train that have yet to be flagged.

lmao this guy's out here breakin the human-powered land speed record