Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heh I didn't even see that old chestnut of reviewers need to be objective in that wall of text meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

Heh I didn't even see that old chestnut of reviewers need to be objective in that wall of text meltdown.
i didn't think people still regurgitated that here

i like the RG351 but i have no brand loyalty, if they stink as a company or AYN stinks or whatever, i'll just go wherever my interests take me (which currently is the Steam Deck, but since mine is being replaced right now, I'm back on the 351 for now). making accusations of agenda or bias in such a niche area of gaming like this is really silly -- but even so, reviewers are allowed to have preferences!!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Seems that "we'll only give you advance access as long as you give us good reviews" is an arrangement that makes the company doing it look bad, first and foremost

As far as I can tell the only person they've shut out is Taki, who's incredibly open about his close relationships with competing companies (whose products also happen to get superlative-laden reviews from him). Other reviewers have given Anbernic devices mediocre or bad reviews in the past and still appear to be getting review units from them just fine.

It's ridiculous to expect a reviewer to be "literally objective" but it's reasonable to expect a reviewer to avoid exceedingly blatant conflicts of interest, and Taki really doesn't.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 25, 2022

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the ease of use of any of Anbernics devices isn't because of Anbernic's efforts but the community developing custom firmware and front end launchers though, Odin will be there sooner rather than later then all of the points you've listed have become moot.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

DHL, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of delivering my odin today, they should instead do literally nothing and just wait, so I guess I have another day to prep the external storage.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about android frontends? I'm leaning towards Pegasus, but I hear even with the installer it's still kind of a pain to get up and going.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor Hospital posted:

DHL, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of delivering my odin today, they should instead do literally nothing and just wait, so I guess I have another day to prep the external storage.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about android frontends? I'm leaning towards Pegasus, but I hear even with the installer it's still kind of a pain to get up and going.

I'm just going with Launch box because that's pretty much what RGC uses and I can't be bothered to try any others at this point.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Doctor Hospital posted:

hahaha they did the exact same to me. Arrived at the destination facility at 4:30am...out for delivery at 11:00am the next day.

Also I too went launchbox. I do wish it had like a couuuuuple more options for customizing but I don't really have any regrets because it took me no time to get where it is now (in a good way).

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wicked Game Collector looks back at the other third party retro console that started it all, the Dingoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoCwp0dvAn0

Photex posted:

the ease of use of any of Anbernics devices isn't because of Anbernic's efforts but the community developing custom firmware and front end launchers though, Odin will be there sooner rather than later then all of the points you've listed have become moot.
Yes this entire mini industry but especially anbernic have been able to get as far as they have because of emulators and operating systems developed and ported by the community. Anbernic made nothing but Dingoo clones and Odroid Go Advance clones for years and that's how they got where they are.

sethsez posted:

As far as I can tell the only person they've shut out is Taki, who's incredibly open about his close relationships with competing companies (whose products also happen to get superlative-laden reviews from him). Other reviewers have given Anbernic devices mediocre or bad reviews in the past and still appear to be getting review units from them just fine.

It's ridiculous to expect a reviewer to be "literally objective" but it's reasonable to expect a reviewer to avoid exceedingly blatant conflicts of interest, and Taki really doesn't.
Taki has shilled as hard for anbernic as he has for anyone else, so whatever anbernic's reasons for blacklisting him, they don't get the benefit of the doubt here

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm just so tired of all these third party retro console wars

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
All I want now is for miyoo to scale up the mini to 351v size except with a 4/4.5 inch screen. Keep the controls the same with no stick and make it as fast to boot as the mini and I’ll be pretty much done with these things. I’ve just got no interest in all of these android/windows machines trying to run GameCube and PS2.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Wicked Game Collector looks back at the other third party retro console that started it all, the Dingoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoCwp0dvAn0

Yes this entire mini industry but especially anbernic have been able to get as far as they have because of emulators and operating systems developed and ported by the community. Anbernic made nothing but Dingoo clones and Odroid Go Advance clones for years and that's how they got where they are.

Taki has shilled as hard for anbernic as he has for anyone else, so whatever anbernic's reasons for blacklisting him, they don't get the benefit of the doubt here

Yeah, without Taki's reviews I probably would not have bought my 351P.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
And now there are some reviews of this Powkiddy RGB 20S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeJpgh4Fipo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRJCgz6VVqI

It's just another RK3326 device with a 4:3 screen, so basically a smaller RG351V with two analog sticks, bad control placement and a cute "face" - basically bringing absolutely nothing new to the table but at least it's inexpensive

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Taki's saying the Loki's going to have both Intel and AMD options, Alder Lake and Zen 3 respectively so it's nice to know right away one of them's probably going to be objectively worse.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That seems ambitious for such a relatively small handheld. Isn’t the Ayaneo Air supposed to be having an ultra low voltage Ryzen part in a larger chassis?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

Taki's saying the Loki's going to have both Intel and AMD options, Alder Lake and Zen 3 respectively so it's nice to know right away one of them's probably going to be objectively worse.

I wonder how they plan to source these chips and keep the cost low, they certainly aren't hitting massive manufacturing numbers especially if you're doing two SKUs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CFox posted:

All I want now is for miyoo to scale up the mini to 351v size except with a 4/4.5 inch screen. Keep the controls the same with no stick and make it as fast to boot as the mini and I’ll be pretty much done with these things. I’ve just got no interest in all of these android/windows machines trying to run GameCube and PS2.

*in clear wacky colors.

I'm in a similar boat. Once I have my holy-grail 4:3 device, I'm probably gonna just do anything else on my PC and be done. Dolphin runs pretty good on my 3080 :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did some google work but I can't get a straight anwser but should I be using OpenGL or Vulkan as the renderer for the Odin Pro?

I swear just getting things set up is 90% of the battle lol the other 10% is figuring out what to actually play once you get it set up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vulkan I believe is the go-to ARM API and what you should be using on most handhelds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Vulkan I believe is the go-to ARM API and what you should be using on most handhelds.

Awesome thanks.

I was going through the RGC guide but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere

https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/03/13/android-emulation-starter-guide/

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

For transparency and claim purposes: I am buying MarcusSA's rg552.
Crossposting to great game swap thread

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Not sure if this fits but is there a guide to modding a 3ds so you can play DS stuff on it? Is there an equivalent of an r4 or whatever those things you used to get for the original D's?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DrWrestling69 posted:

Not sure if this fits but is there a guide to modding a 3ds so you can play DS stuff on it? Is there an equivalent of an r4 or whatever those things you used to get for the original D's?

There's a thread dedicated solely to hack/mod consoles.

And here's the idiot-friendly guide to 3DS hacking, which even the worst of the worst (me) could follow pretty easily. You will want to install TwillightMenu after installing CFW on the system.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A recent/updated Retroid Pocket 2+ review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pYbFWJ5txE

Yes his nerd gimmick is extremely annoying and stops just short of yelling at "mom" over chocolate milk or chicken tendies or something, but from what I read the updates fixed most or all of the problems with the built-in launcher, but he says that it has a problem crashing and stopping working, after which it has to be force stopped and the cache cleared, but that means you have to run the scans all over again?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 26, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DrWrestling69 posted:

You can just use an R4 they still make them and for playing DS stuff off them you don't really need to do anything extra, it's only when you want to use an R4 for 3DS stuff that you have to do any hacking

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Saoshyant posted:

There's a thread dedicated solely to hack/mod consoles.

And here's the idiot-friendly guide to 3DS hacking, which even the worst of the worst (me) could follow pretty easily. You will want to install TwillightMenu after installing CFW on the system.

Thanks. I tried playing some D's games on the retroid but switching screens annoyed me a lot.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

drrockso20 posted:

You can just use an R4 they still make them and for playing DS stuff off them you don't really need to do anything extra, it's only when you want to use an R4 for 3DS stuff that you have to do any hacking

strongly recommend CFW at this point. i bought an R4 card a few months back and it's pretty unreliable. scuttlebutt seems to indicate they're heavily and poorly counterfeited now

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

drrockso20 posted:

I will likely use 3ds stuff at some point too.
I haven't even had this thing online for about five years. Am I better doing a system update before I try hacking it?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Counterpoint, I bought an R4 6 months ago and it works fine. TwilightMenu++ still has compatibility issues. Plus an R4 is pretty cheap.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DrWrestling69 posted:

I will likely use 3ds stuff at some point too.
I haven't even had this thing online for about five years. Am I better doing a system update before I try hacking it?
The guide Saoshyant posted has different methods for hacking depending upon your official firmware version, I don't know if there's any real advantage to updating now because the last time I checked you needed to downgrade to version 9.something to actually install the custom firmware. The guide will probably have you update to the lastest OFW afterwards though.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Commander Keene posted:

The guide Saoshyant posted has different methods for hacking depending upon your official firmware version, I don't know if there's any real advantage to updating now because the last time I checked you needed to downgrade to version 9.something to actually install the custom firmware. The guide will probably have you update to the lastest OFW afterwards though.

Turns out I needed to update to download Pokémon picross. The guide works great thanks everyone.

To keep things back on topic I love my retroid 2+ it's great. Choice paralysis once I got all the front ends set up and my games all nicely organised is a pain though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Walla posted:

Counterpoint, I bought an R4 6 months ago and it works fine. TwilightMenu++ still has compatibility issues. Plus an R4 is pretty cheap.
Yeah, I was playing Phantom Hourglass on a hacked N3DSXL running TwilightMenu++ and it can't handle some of the goofy use-the-features-of-the-handheld puzzles, specifically closing the DS doesn't do anything because it just suspends the emulator, making the map puzzle unsolvable.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

DrWrestling69 posted:

Turns out I needed to update to download Pokémon picross. The guide works great thanks everyone.

To keep things back on topic I love my retroid 2+ it's great. Choice paralysis once I got all the front ends set up and my games all nicely organised is a pain though.

Somehow the amberELEC 351V I got managed to sidestep that perpetual paralysis and I just dove in to a random game on my want-to-play list. Haven’t looked back. You can do it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder if any of the TV set tops could do PS2 emulation. I'd be down for something like that.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

CFox posted:

This is also where I’m at. A bigger more comfortable 4:3 device that can play PS1 and under reliably with a great UI is currently an insta-buy for me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

coconono posted:

I wonder if any of the TV set tops could do PS2 emulation. I'd be down for something like that.

Not yet that I've seen, the Super Console X boxes might get there but right now I think Gamecube is their ceiling. Some of the more powerful NUCs and mini PCs can though so you could use those.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Valve Steam Deck posted:

it has a problem crashing and stopping working, after which it has to be force stopped and the cache cleared, but that means you have to run the scans all over again?

I haven't experienced this. I have briefly had it stop responding to touch inputs and a reboot fixed that, and occasionally the n64 emulator will stop playing sound if I pause emulation and do some other yet-to-be-determined stuff, but otherwise I've had no issues with it personally.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Been tinkering with my Odin all day since it came in and I absolutely adore this thing. Pegasus was kind of a pain to get really dialed in, even with the community installer, but it looks very nice and keeps everything nice and tidy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor Hospital posted:

Been tinkering with my Odin all day since it came in and I absolutely adore this thing. Pegasus was kind of a pain to get really dialed in, even with the community installer, but it looks very nice and keeps everything nice and tidy.

I probably should have started with that lol

The battery life on this thing is nuts though Jesus.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah I've had it on performance mode the entire time and I'm just now getting down into the 70 percent range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ayn’s posted the Loki prices, $299 for the mini with an Intel Alder Lake U, $499 with a Ryzen 6600U and $799 for a Ryzen 6800U. drat good pricing if they can actually deliver on it.