Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HookShot posted:

Ours went to the collapse of the Soviet Union, only our textbooks were published in 1990, so they literally went up to what was then "present day" and the teacher had to be like "yeah and then the following year a few things happened that aren't in your books because that was the future then".

Francis Fukuyama wrote your textbook, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Francis Fukuyama wrote your textbook, so what

I had to Google this reference but it had me cackling so it was worth it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

This is me but with movies and TV. There are just too many of them.

Me with sports. Aside from some obvious things (hall of famers in each sport, notable Olympics things) there's just no way to make up for having never watched a basketball game in my entire life. Gotta direct my energies where they'll actually make a difference.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ryan was cool for a couple of days, but I'm ready for a new champ at this point. His games are slogs, partially because of him, partially because of the level of contestants that's faced him. He's bad at daily doubles and his wild guesses are all over the place.

Plus, his voice reminds me a lot of a former coworker who got on my nerves every time he opened his mouth.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Tennessee? THE TENNESSEE?!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought it was weird they let Tiger King out of prison to be on the show today, but whatever

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

last nights 4k DD bet was the highest since ryans 8k bet on wednesday 18th (which i think he only went for because it was an established category and the clue was in the 800 spot on the board) with a 3500 on monday as an outlier. basically every other DD bet in that period has been between 1000 and 2000. its horrendous

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Man, that was an awful final jeopardy.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also, lol at starting Double Jeopardy by finding a Daily Double and risking only $1000 of your $1600.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Also, lol at starting Double Jeopardy by finding a Daily Double and risking only $1000 of your $1600.

What’s wrong with this ?

There’s sometimes a bit of save face with betting , which IMO is human nature. $600 extra bet could be good, sure, but not likely to be that consequential. So hedging bets do you don’t go down to $0 makes sense.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Darth Brooks posted:

Man, that was an awful final jeopardy.

Yeah that felt like a $800 clue they misplaced. Literally no other breadcrumb besides Omaha -> Manning and even then you could be mislead into think it's someone from Nebraska.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Tiny DD wagers in Jeopardy or early in Double Jeopardy are weak poo poo

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah that felt like a $800 clue they misplaced. Literally no other breadcrumb besides Omaha -> Manning and even then you could be mislead into think it's someone from Nebraska.

I was referring to the guy who HAD THE LEAD, bet zero and did a shout out rather than try and guess. It's as though he planned to lose.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
His betting was atrocious. You have the champ on the ropes and you play the most conservative bet possible? You know how many games he's won (since it's a Friday game) and that you don't win the amount you earn for 2nd, right?

Final itself was amusing. Besides it being sports based (a notorious blind spot for most players), it also required you to follow either specfic football jargon or television production when most people follow neither. It seemed like the clue writer really wanted to say I read Deadline/Hollywood Reporter/Variety and if you don't, pound sand.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Usually even the "tough" sports questions are a joke compared to equivalent categories but if you're not a football fan how the hell are you supposed to get that. That's an easy one if you are but there's really no way to know "Peyton Manning used Omaha as an audible" unless you were a regular viewer they didn't even give "football player".

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah that final sucked.

With no other information than the word Omaha, not even the sport, I guessed it was football because I associate football with the Midwest (I don't watch football ever). With a limited number of recent football names available I did go with Manning.

But the saying Omaha clue was completely stupid. I searched his Wikipedia page and it doesn't mention the word Omaha even once.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Sean posted:

With a limited number of recent football names available I did go with Manning.

Eli or Peyton? :smug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Sean posted:

Yeah that final sucked.

With no other information than the word Omaha, not even the sport, I guessed it was football because I associate football with the Midwest (I don't watch football ever). With a limited number of recent football names available I did go with Manning.

But the saying Omaha clue was completely stupid. I searched his Wikipedia page and it doesn't mention the word Omaha even once.

I thought the polio final people took issue with was good because it had the hallmarks of a well-written Jeopardy clue - even if you didn't know the response right off you could reason it out. This one was totally binary either you're a football fan and get it right away because it's something Manning is well known for to fans or you're completely lost there aren't any good hints in the clue.

A better clue that would've been worded in a similar way:

"In 2016 this future Hall of Fame athlete founded his sports-performance company TB12."

Still not a great final but there's at least a hint in there if you're only vaguely aware of sports.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 28, 2022

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
I believe Manning’s Omaha thing has also been used in commercials, so there may be some non-football people who also knew it. I don’t really follow football but I definitely had heard of it and knew it from somewhere along the way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the Omaha thing is really not obscure if you have crossed paths with anything related to Manning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I assume there must be some kind of guiding philosophy behind Final Jeopardy questions to strike a balance between a binary “you either plainly know this fact or you won’t ever get it correct” and something you can try and puzzle out right?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I assume there must be some kind of guiding philosophy behind Final Jeopardy questions to strike a balance between a binary “you either plainly know this fact or you won’t ever get it correct” and something you can try and puzzle out right?

Yeah. The ideal FJ question should be, difficulty, wise, along the lines of a $1600 to $2000 clue, but should generally be the sort of thing that you can puzzle out in the 30 seconds if you have any sort of knowledge about the topic.

In regular J! rounds, EYKIOYD is fine, because you have 5 seconds to answer. But when you have thirty, the questions should be more difficult but also allow a little bit more lateral thinking to help players get to the answer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
For example, I went to j-archive to find a random final:

Places on the map, from 2016:

Thanks to John Cabot, 16th century French documents included this island designated as "Terre Neuve"

It's Newfoundland

So, you can straight up know it if you're Canadian, or if you're fluent in French (it literally translates to New Land).

But there are other clues!

John Cabot was an explorer, so we're thinking New World somewhere. If you're extra good at this you'd know John Cabot did a lot of exploring in places that are now Canada. You can also get there by assuming that because the documents were in French, it was a part of the New World that belonged to the French, and Upper and Lower Canada were very famous holdings for quite some time.

Terre = terra = earth = land, you can get that half of it via knowing enough latin-derived words for earth.

Neuve = neu = neo = Greek for "new", you can get that half of it through the etymology as well.

Now you have "new land". What's an island in North America (French documents should be a clue to stay out of South America even if you don't know who John Cabot is) that sounds like "new land"? Newfoundland!

That is an excellent FJ question, IMO.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm going to do one more because this is fun.

Category: US Airports

Question: In terms of cargo this city's airport was the world's busiest in 1994, handling 1.65 million metric tons

This question is from 1995.

It's Memphis

Now, the first thing you need to narrow down is the country, but the category does this for us. That way, we don't have to worry about it being an airport in China; we know it's American.

The next thing to hone in on the clue is cargo. We're not talking passengers. Think about cargo. Where would that come from? Freight companies. What are the big freight companies in the US? UPS and FedEx. So that narrows it down to two options: Louisville and Memphis, which are the two major hubs of each of those companies.

Now, we have to remember that this is from 1995. FedEx was founded in the 70s sometime, but UPS wasn't founded until the late 80s. At this point in time, it's a reasonable assumption that FedEx is the bigger company.

Therefore, the answer should be Memphis.

And so it is.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Highly recommend bob Harris’s “Prisoner of Trebekistan” for a really good description of puzzling out FJ (as well as a billion other reasons, it’s my favorite book and a must-read for anybody who might want to play jeopardy some day)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Dave posted:

Yeah the Omaha thing is really not obscure if you have crossed paths with anything related to Manning.

It's by far more obscure than the post-polio clue, even if you're a sports fan. I hadn't encountered it and I would like to think I'm fairly knowledgeble about pro football. (The first Manning audio clip that immediately comes to my mind is him cussing Donald Brown for missing a block.)

Answering Ric Flair was as good as any I was coming up with and with a category labeled "sports and entertainment," wasn't the most off-the-wall suggestion to exist if you're not a sports person, which it looks like Aaron wasn't.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got it immediately because I am very handsome and not at all depressed

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zesty posted:

What app?

Yeah, what app?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Not much, what app with you?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CPColin posted:

Not much, what app with you?

Been going through J-Archive trying to find games I haven't played. I took a sabbatical when Trebek died so I've got a nice little backlog.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Mike Duncan or Patrick Wyman? Because Wyman is also a big muscly buff guy, I believe

Speaking of Patrick:
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6123

I remember watching the episode and hearing Johnny say "professor" instead of "podcaster." It took me far too long for me to recognize it was him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Speaking of Patrick:
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6123

I remember watching the episode and hearing Johnny say "professor" instead of "podcaster." It took me far too long for me to recognize it was him.

Holy poo poo, this is literally less that two weeks before my air date lol.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ryan with another! I don't remember Sidney Poitier dying this year, otherwise that would have been an easy Final Jeopardy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm mad that Ryan, apparently known for his Arnold impersonation, said "cybernetic organism" without the accent.

Also how was "penguin" not accepted on that daily double?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

wa27 posted:

I'm mad that Ryan, apparently known for his Arnold impersonation, said "cybernetic organism" without the accent.

Also how was "penguin" not accepted on that daily double?

"Pocket Books" is an actual brand from Simon & Schuester which has a kangaroo logo. Since they named the publisher as "Pocket Books" it's right since the other one is called "Penguin Pockets" which has the penguin logo.

I know this because I googled it immediately thinking it was bullshit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m behind so this isn’t new but catching up on the last couple of weeks there have been multiple instances where someone has given an answer that should have been prompted and Mayim has just told them they’re wrong and moved on.

Why is she so bad at this?????? (I know why)

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

what was with today's jeopardy round clues? I and the contestants blanked on so many of them. they just either didn't make sense or were just obscure whit

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

HookShot posted:

I’m behind so this isn’t new but catching up on the last couple of weeks there have been multiple instances where someone has given an answer that should have been prompted and Mayim has just told them they’re wrong and moved on.

Why is she so bad at this?????? (I know why)

Or today where she straight up accepted an incorrect answer that had to be corrected later.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MokBa posted:

Or today where she straight up accepted an incorrect answer that had to be corrected later.

"Privateers."

"Piracy, yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was surprised that for today's FJ, they asked for the name of the narrator rather than the name of the work. Even a contestant who can identify the book and remember the narrator still has a dozen ways to gently caress it up on the spelling. "Holden Caufield, I'm sorry, that's incorrect" -- mobs in the streets