Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Pogs also taught children about theft and scams, heck, maybe even fighting, but it was the cool kind of learning where you experienced it in real life instead of just saying things on twitter.

Losing all your virtual jpeg pogs by clicking a phishing hyperlink just doesn't teach the same lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Y'all remember the slammer arms race, people had huge ones that were like outlawed at tournaments. poo poo was wild.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just bring a gun to shoot the pogs

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

Y'all remember the slammer arms race, people had huge ones that were like outlawed at tournaments. poo poo was wild.

I had one of those. it would leave big dents in every pog it impacted

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

4k.com/unisocks

I have no idea what any of this means. Do I get socks for my money or not?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Check out the 'More Tweets' after the BIG NFT post.
If its the same as mine, its just a long list of new NFTs coming out.

https://twitter.com/bapesclan/status/1527736720204210181
Nice cringe intro there.

https://twitter.com/hatch15/status/1527892372079534080?t=hhAjBV2joDpFphyez3zFFA&s=19
none of this poo poo makes any sense. They're saying now that these random crude knockoff ape NFTs are guaranteed to generate "passive six figure income" some how? It sounds like you have to pay in a few thousand to get that guarantee.

Edit
nm, it is all very clear and above board. BUY IN NOW BEFORE YOU LOSE OUT!!

https://twitter.com/thekngmoe/status/1527750472546799617?t=bmQBYZ6fB1j3CaHLmC4Jpg&s=19

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 26, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thesaurus posted:

https://twitter.com/hatch15/status/1527892372079534080?t=hhAjBV2joDpFphyez3zFFA&s=19
none of this poo poo makes any sense. They're saying now that these random crude knockoff ape NFTs are guaranteed to generate "passive six figure income" some how? It sounds like you have to pay in a few thousand to get that guarantee

Hey man,. you look like a smart kinda guy. How about this, if you buy this bag here, yeah, and hold onto it, then I promise you loads more bags in the future. Big ones. Sparkly ones. You name it, bud! All your dreams, kid, just hold this bag right here...

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015

Thesaurus posted:

none of this poo poo makes any sense. They're saying now that these random crude knockoff ape NFTs are guaranteed to generate "passive six figure income" some how? It sounds like you have to pay in a few thousand to get that guarantee.

Edit

https://twitter.com/thekngmoe/status/1527750472546799617?t=bmQBYZ6fB1j3CaHLmC4Jpg&s=19

Technically, $0.100001 is a six figure income.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The Terra denial is getting even more bizarre now. They renamed Terra to Terra Classic and created a new Terra now, but holders of the old one think Classic (which is a whopping $0.0001461 at the moment) is going to the moon any day now. People in the coinmarketcap.com comment section for it are absolutely convinced their $1000 purchase is going to be worth millions of dollars in just a few days.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Double Bill posted:

The Terra denial is getting even more bizarre now. They renamed Terra to Terra Classic and created a new Terra now, but holders of the old one think Classic (which is a whopping $0.0001461 at the moment) is going to the moon any day now. People in the coinmarketcap.com comment section for it are absolutely convinced their $1000 purchase is going to be worth millions of dollars in just a few days.

The hilarious thing is that even if they got super loving lucky and something crazy happened to make it pop for a bit, they'd all crow about being paper millionaires and not unload anything until it crashed again because hey my $1k investment turned into $1 million CLEARLY if I just keep holding this bag I'll be a billionaire soon.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Thesaurus posted:

Edit

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

BAPES Clan GEN 2 appears to have upgraded to match the technology from the 1985 “Money for Nothing” music video, splendid

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is this what getting old feels like :saddowns:

I dont understand a single bit of any of that

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Double Bill posted:

People in the coinmarketcap.com comment section for it are absolutely convinced their $1000 purchase is going to be worth millions of dollars in just a few days.

I want those people to explain to me where that money is going to come from. What do they think will happen to make the price go up, especially go up 1000x? Do they think money just bubbles up out of the etherium? Do they think that people are going to rush to throw billions into the coin best known for destroying crypto? I'm sure they haven't thought about it and you can't get through to that; I just want to understand how they've talked themselves into something so disconnected from reality.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

From what I can tell, the important part is that this is all an exciting limited time opportunity so act NOW before you regret it!

https://twitter.com/quixotic_io/status/1528771615139323909?t=QB2d5hE-PyGjFeylolhz6w&s=19

Edit: Here's a crystal clear explanation, if you're still stuck:

https://twitter.com/nowdaoit/status/1526593444033859587?t=ayEYhErmoA-ipcb1hyUF_g&s=19

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 26, 2022

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
i didn't realize there was such a thriving market for all the garbage OCs i drew in math class when i was 13

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I want those people to explain to me where that money is going to come from. What do they think will happen to make the price go up, especially go up 1000x? Do they think money just bubbles up out of the etherium? Do they think that people are going to rush to throw billions into the coin best known for destroying crypto? I'm sure they haven't thought about it and you can't get through to that; I just want to understand how they've talked themselves into something so disconnected from reality.

From what I can see, the plan is to burn all the "excess" tokens that were generated by the death spiral, and then when there's less supply the value is going to go up 1000x somehow? So apparently they believe thousands of new buyers (or possibly just Elon Musk) are suddenly going to appear to buy their still worthless crap.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What does "WL" mean?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Edit

You want to believe that people weren't actually influenced by anything in wolf of wallstreet, but here it is...they're literally aping the movie.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does "WL" mean?

whitelist, it means you were able to "mint" an NFT and get one when it came out

some of these work on basically raffles like shoes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

A lot of y'all still don't get it! Permissioned shares & treasury rights, Minority member protections (via Ragequit), Execution of all actions via proposals, Ability to interact with smart contracts (via Minions) x 3/day!!!!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

'Johnny. Go explain crypto to your Grandad Skarsnik again'

'Muuuuuum! I just did that last week!'

'Use small words, he get's confused.'

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

holy poo poo is that scott seiver.. the poker player? lol

edit: i guess i'd trade being dumb about crypto consider how rich he is.

edit 2: does he own part of that video game nft he keeps promoting? makes no sense otherwise.
edit 3: this is not scott seiver the poker player...

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 26, 2022

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

That's the point. The confusing jargon and learning needed to understand how everything works weeds out people who wouldn't be willing to sink their money into it, and creates an us-vs-them culture, further incentivizing investment of money.

You don't need to understand all of it to mock it. Just enough to know how stupid it is.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Coin scarcity = value bois. Don't think too hard about what money is though

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

There Bias Two posted:

There's an entire American mythology structured around the idea of accessible upward mobility if you just work hard enough. Bad things will happen only if you aren't working hard enough, so you probably deserve them when misfortune strikes.

It’s called the Just World fallacy and it powers a lot of social and religious beliefs. The idea that virtue is rewarded and vice is punished so people who have succeeded in life must be good and people who get poo poo on must be bad.

The world is random and uncaring and there’s no guarantee of reward or punishment. You have to accept this or you’ll get scammed by bad actors looking to take advantage of you.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't think that's 200 individual voters.

I strongly suspect that this is one of those systems where voting is done by shares. So if you own 1 token you get 1 vote, and if you own 1 million tokens you get 1 million votes. Same way most companies do stockholder votes.
So, given the price of $Luna, with :10bux: I could have a controlling share of the votes?

Dang, I missed out :(

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

How many slurp juices did you need to use on your pog to create that monster?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LifeSunDeath posted:

The holographic Pure Poison pogs kicked rear end

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

In a normal grift there’s frequently an enticement like a watch to encourage you to hand over a big wad of cash, as a sort of assurance that this is a legitimate investment and this first show of good faith - a watch costing a small fraction of what’s been handed over - will only lead to good things. This is frequently bullshit and the person giving the money is lucky to even have that when the scam is over. But this is attempting to entice people not with a watch, but with a unique hyperlink to a JPEG of a render of a watch. The desperation is surreal.

And the rendered watch, along with all the other art, just looks cheap and bad. Actually reminds me of star citizen, with scammers needing to insist that selling their jpegs is definitely a “REAL business creating REAL value”, lol

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's the point. The confusing jargon and learning needed to understand how everything works weeds out people who wouldn't be willing to sink their money into it, and creates an us-vs-them culture, further incentivizing investment of money.

You don't need to understand all of it to mock it. Just enough to know how stupid it is.

Yeah, it's not an age thing. It's just a bunch of utter smokescreen bullshit to try and mask a techno-ponzi scheme.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's like how scam emails are intentionally incomprehensible in order to single out the most gullible people imaginable

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

As I saw eloquently put recently: if you can't identify the source of the yield, its coming from future bag holders

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I wonder if Twitter will see declining user engagement alongside crypto cratering. It seems like it's the top of the funnel for all these grifts, and they need the nuance-free false certainty of the tweet format to keep suckers from asking too many questions.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

piss chain is real

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

istewart posted:

I wonder if Twitter will see declining user engagement alongside crypto cratering. It seems like it's the top of the funnel for all these grifts, and they need the nuance-free false certainty of the tweet format to keep suckers from asking too many questions.

Inshallah Elon goes ahead with buying it and drives it into the loving ground.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I can't get over the fact that they're all just apes. They could be literally anything, they could be scenic views, they could be hung dongs, they could be my little ponys, but they're all still inexplicably apes.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Beartaco posted:

I can't get over the fact that they're all just apes. They could be literally anything, they could be scenic views, they could be hung dongs, they could be my little ponys, but they're all still inexplicably apes.

Well you can't use multiple slurp juices on a single scenic view, now.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Beartaco posted:

It is a lame and pathetic bandwagoning of a popular thing. Crypto bros are devoid of creativity or originality. Ape projects are the Asylum movies of crypto. They are hoping you will only see Ape! and be tricked into buying thier off brand chimps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

sporklift posted:

It is a lame and pathetic bandwagoning of a popular thing. Crypto bros are devoid of creativity or originality. Ape projects are the Asylum movies of crypto. They are hoping you will only see Ape! and be tricked into buying thier off brand chimps.

well duh, not all apes are chimps.

but all chimps are apes... hmm.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 27, 2022