Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Also TFS dove headfirst into the Cell ham and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think TFS Cell has exactly the same issues with his forms as the actual story weirdly enough. Imperfect Cell is great as a nasty little teenage sicko who should have been the only iteration of the character, Semi-Perfect is barely there and Perfect Cell has exactly one personality trait and joke, which is that he's a gay fancy man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No Dignity posted:

I think TFS Cell has exactly the same issues with his forms as the actual story weirdly enough. Imperfect Cell is great as a nasty little teenage sicko who should have been the only iteration of the character, Semi-Perfect is barely there and Perfect Cell has exactly one personality trait and joke, which is that he's a gay fancy man

Hey

Hes a gay fancy sicko man

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cell as ‘Xenomorph who is completely aware they’re a walking dick joke and LOVES it’ is a pretty funny concept

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Gero did a way more interesting job at being "villain who's weaker than a Super Saiyan but still legitimately threatening" than Cell did

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ironic that the no nonsense Androids are the ones that eat poo poo and die first while the ones that just mess around survive to the end.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's funny that all the earlier numbered Androids were expressly more powerful than Gero and 19.

Like 16 utterly manhandles Imperfect Cell.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Funky Valentine posted:

It's funny that all the earlier numbered Androids were expressly more powerful than Gero and 19.

Like 16 utterly manhandles Imperfect Cell.

he was still working out the power vs control formula

see, 19 did whatever he asked, but 19 sucked

16, 17, and 18 were waaay stronger but wouldn't follow orders, and, well

the real question is, "why didn't Gero just wait until he had his poo poo sorted to start blowing things up," if he'd rolled up day one with the full squad under his boot dude woulda won

well I guess the other question is, "what if Gero had made himself that powerful, would he have just gone crazy or what"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He got it right when his wife got involved, but she took too long in the oven to be viable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

16 seemed like he would've been a perfectly usable servant, beyond the fact that he's not too gung-ho about killing people that aren't Goku.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gero: My God, I'm making a robot duplicate of my dead son to get revenge on a small child who doesn't even know I exist! What have I become? *puts 16 in storage, kidnaps two teenagers to put robot parts in them*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

16 seemed like he would've been a perfectly usable servant, beyond the fact that he's not too gung-ho about killing people that aren't Goku.

I thought that was an TFS invention? Isn't he just straightforwardedly a pacifist outside of Cell extermination in the manga/anime?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

maybe 16 kept somehow mistaking Gero for Goku

brilliant roboticist and inventor of unlimited power, absolute garbage at coding (and design, assuming he didn't just kidnap a clown to make 19)

e: also yeah I think canon 16 was just a straight up pacifist until his android friends were in danger, the mirror to Gohan was kinda there even if it didn't get elaborated on very well

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If he's such a great scientist why didn't he write a program that interfaces with 16's visual sensors to photoshop Goku's face onto whoever Gero wanted?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I thought that was an TFS invention? Isn't he just straightforwardedly a pacifist outside of Cell extermination in the manga/anime?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

e: also yeah I think canon 16 was just a straight up pacifist until his android friends were in danger, the mirror to Gohan was kinda there even if it didn't get elaborated on very well

He still wanted to kill Goku, but he had no interest in fighting anyone else.

Then again, considering how he behaves towards Cell, maybe he would've become combative towards 19 and 20 if they started destroying a lot of things.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i want to kill goku

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its very normal to want to

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
he's so nice, the ladies call him Sweet 16

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If he's such a great scientist why didn't he write a program that interfaces with 16's visual sensors to photoshop Goku's face onto whoever Gero wanted?

because he'd have to pay a licensing fee to adobe

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Babe Magnet posted:

because he'd have to pay a licensing fee to adobe

and that poo poo's on a subscription service now

mountain bases with secret underground labs aren't cheap, there's gotta be some compromises in the budget

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That really is it

16 was made in the image of his son and Gero, either on purpose or accident, put too much humanity into him. Wouldn't be the first time either, considering Eighter.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think that Gero basically stopped working on 16 after implementing the KILL SON GOKU code and never programmed him for much else.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

he stopped working on 16 when 16 suddenly grew red hair.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its very normal to want to

No it's not. Goku is cool.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No it's not. Goku is cool.

Listen, even Goku tried to kill Goku. And he succeeded! Killing Goku and trying to kill Goku is a healthy part of life.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
murdering goku is only a misdemeanor

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Most of Goku's friends have wanted to kill Goku at some point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And they learned the error of their ways.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Goku just wants to fight and if he happens die, well so be it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they got it out of their systems by killing goku except for tien who never got to kill goku

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Goku even went so far as to hire a hitman to kill Goku

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Lunatic Sledge posted:

he was still working out the power vs control formula

see, 19 did whatever he asked, but 19 sucked

16, 17, and 18 were waaay stronger but wouldn't follow orders, and, well

the real question is, "why didn't Gero just wait until he had his poo poo sorted to start blowing things up," if he'd rolled up day one with the full squad under his boot dude woulda won

well I guess the other question is, "what if Gero had made himself that powerful, would he have just gone crazy or what"

Based on his observations of Goku, he felt that even if Goku trained nonstop for the next few years, 19 and 20 would be more than strong enough to beat him.

In fairness, it's hard to blame him for not realizing Goku was going to fulfill an ancient alien prophecy and become one of the strongest people in the entire universe. The power creep got wild like ten seconds after Gero turned off his camera drone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

Based on his observations of Goku, he felt that even if Goku trained nonstop for the next few years, 19 and 20 would be more than strong enough to beat him.

In fairness, it's hard to blame him for not realizing Goku was going to fulfill an ancient alien prophecy and become one of the strongest people in the entire universe. The power creep got wild like ten seconds after Gero turned off his camera drone.

even then he's atleast in the same league as goku & frieza

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
android 19 and 20 had the potential to get stronger over time from absorbing energy which is a good idea until vegeta tears your arms off and blows you up

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah if his drone followed Goku to Namek, the Android Saga probably would have been delayed a good deal as he jacked all the robots up to SSj2+ levels of deathkill

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

TFS inserted it into the show, but IIRC it came from the same Toriyama interview as 17 and 18's birth names being "Lapis" and "Lasuli," and then FighterZ implied it a bunch too.

So, like, Semi-Canon Android 16.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I have to respect TFS for at least trying to make the Android Saga more smoothed and comprehensible

Really did fall apart when Cell went Perfect, there’s so much you could have gotten out of an actual deathstakes tournament

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even though Android 16 was kind of just there, I do kind of like the retroactive lore added to Android 16 because

1. Android 16 is based on Gero's son, with the possible implication that he might have been shelved because Gero feared possibly losing his son again, which does add a small bit of humanity to an otherwise callous individual.

2. The final battle is sort of kickstarted through Android 16 vs. Cell, which is kind of neat showing these two aspects of Gero (the loving father vs. the deranged scientist) coming into conflict.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And they learned the error of their ways.

Piccolo murdered Goku and didn't learn poo poo except that it brought him family and happiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He learned that he and Goku work well together and should be friends.