Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Today in Adventures in Record Complaining Collecting!

This old lady I came across invited me to her house to look through some records she had to sell me. So I trekked all the way to her house which is about 30 minutes from where I live. As soon as a I get there the first thing she tells me is "I don't know anything about music.". So she leads me into the work shed where the records are and holds up this Chicago box set that she excitedly tells me is worth 95 bucks. She told me she looked up prices for some stuff and I asked her where and she just said "Online.". I asked her if they were sold prices and she just kind of stared vacantly so that was off to a good start. So I get to looking through the poo poo and eventually make my stack. She noticed a Tom Petty album and went "I have to see what this is worth." and disappears into her house and then comes back to tell me "It's 36 bucks." I asked hger where she got that price "I googled sold prices.". So then I explained to her about discogs and different pressings. I took out my phone and showed her the median price and explained how it works and she just stared vacantly. I also showed and explained Popsike. So after all that I asked her what she wants and she said "I don't know.". I lowballed her because I intended to haggle. I was willing to give her much more than my offer but I never give my top number first obviously. So I asked her again what she'd want if ym offer was not agreeable and she continued to say "I don't know I'll have to have my friend look them up.". So I left with nothing. But before I did I offered her 15 bucks for a copy of Harvest and she refused and then said "That's got to be worth a lot of money.". There were a couple green label WB Sabbath albums in there and I would bet money on the fact she's going to look those up and see the Vertigo prices and think they're worth hundreds.

I looked up that Chicago box set on Discogs and you can easily get it for ten bucks (or even less if you don't want the poster).

Yeesh. At least you didn't haul a printer over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

screaden posted:

Bunch of Akiko Yano and a reissue

super cool - I've only seen one Akiko album out in the wild. it was the dolphin one. of course I bought it immediately.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Nihonniboku posted:

So, after nearly 3 weeks in transit, I finally got the new Arcade Fire album, this was a special edition preorder one. Sadly, it's a little banged up, which I'm not surprised by given how long it seemed to be lost in the mail. The vinyl itself seems to be in good shape though.

That said, I emailed customer service last week saying that it seemed to be lost in the mail, and they're apparently sending me a replacement copy, which is due to be delivered this Friday according to the tracking number.

Man you really can't unsee the mouse pointer on the album cover once you know it's there

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

angrygodofjebus posted:

Man you really can't unsee the mouse pointer on the album cover once you know it's there

That has to be on purpose, right? They wouldn’t just take a screen shot of photoshop and send it off to the presses. I’m confused

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I think the cursor is only on the special Spotify edition and not the "normal" vinyl cover. So...I don't know? haha

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think the normal version has no cursor, but each special or limited edition has its own. I'm pretty sure I've seen on reddit people with different kinds of cursors, in different locations depending on the edition.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CutCopy dropped a "the first decade" box set with a previously unprinted to vinyl first EP and really, really went all out on it. I really would have like a master edition of in ghost colors, as there are just as many remixes over every song on the album from that period where everyone remixed everyone and b-sides but this is really well done. Apparently only 1000 boxes worldwide?

Getting this just after seeing them at the millennial nostalgia fest, Just like heaven, is really a 1-2 punch of feels.

https://i.imgur.com/lguyvLT.mp4

https://imgur.com/gallery/Wk4oPfA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Read After Burning posted:

This is exactly what I was gonna say! At least do that poo poo before the potential buyer shows up, if not before even putting the items up for sale.

If I'd know she was going to pull that poo poo I wouldn't have even bothered. She lives a good distance from me and it's not really worth driving back and forth to the rear end end of nowhere when gas is almost five bucks a gallon. It's not like she has collection of early 80s hardcore it was all common classic rock albums.

wa27 posted:

Yeesh. At least you didn't haul a printer over there.

If I'd done that maybe I could have printed out pages and pages of sold listings on popsike to drive home the point that she's not sitting on the Treasure of The Sierra Madre.

In other news, I was browsing Savers today:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

incoherent posted:

CutCopy dropped a "the first decade" box set with a previously unprinted to vinyl first EP and really, really went all out on it. I really would have like a master edition of in ghost colors, as there are just as many remixes over every song on the album from that period where everyone remixed everyone and b-sides but this is really well done. Apparently only 1000 boxes worldwide?

wtf i had no idea this was coming out. their website just has a waitlist for a release date two months ago and i don't see this in stock anywhere (i can only even find like two listings for it at all), so i assume i missed my chance, that sucks and i hope they put out rereleases again

every time i think about getting back into buying vinyl something like this happens and i double down on my belief that i'll probably get rid of my collection by the end of the year, the vinyl that is available at a reasonable price in the world just generally doesn't line up with the stuff i want to own. maybe i'll make some rule like i only own vinyl for albums that actually came out before the cd era or something, since that stuff like... actually got pressings that can still be gotten used, usually, instead of having to wait for some dumb limited rerelease that will get delayed for months and then arrive with a defect and no ability to replace because of how limited it was (looking at you hot chip!)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I was blessed to go back and swoop up the credit card cancels a few days later by hitting the link directly. Deffo a second run is coming but that's apparently it. I'm sure there are stil bands that are unaware just like how desirable their poo poo is (to want and keep, not for speculation. Box Sets really do get loving unruly) even after the clearly sound bell of the vinyl boom.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Today in Adventures in Record Complaining Collecting!

This old lady I came across invited me to her house to look through some records she had to sell me. So I trekked all the way to her house which is about 30 minutes from where I live. As soon as a I get there the first thing she tells me is "I don't know anything about music.". So she leads me into the work shed where the records are and holds up this Chicago box set that she excitedly tells me is worth 95 bucks. She told me she looked up prices for some stuff and I asked her where and she just said "Online.". I asked her if they were sold prices and she just kind of stared vacantly so that was off to a good start. So I get to looking through the poo poo and eventually make my stack. She noticed a Tom Petty album and went "I have to see what this is worth." and disappears into her house and then comes back to tell me "It's 36 bucks." I asked hger where she got that price "I googled sold prices.". So then I explained to her about discogs and different pressings. I took out my phone and showed her the median price and explained how it works and she just stared vacantly. I also showed and explained Popsike. So after all that I asked her what she wants and she said "I don't know.". I lowballed her because I intended to haggle. I was willing to give her much more than my offer but I never give my top number first obviously. So I asked her again what she'd want if ym offer was not agreeable and she continued to say "I don't know I'll have to have my friend look them up.". So I left with nothing. But before I did I offered her 15 bucks for a copy of Harvest and she refused and then said "That's got to be worth a lot of money.". There were a couple green label WB Sabbath albums in there and I would bet money on the fact she's going to look those up and see the Vertigo prices and think they're worth hundreds.

I looked up that Chicago box set on Discogs and you can easily get it for ten bucks (or even less if you don't want the poster).

Have fun selling those individual records lady, especially if your friend has to look them up. You were saving her the hassle of looking them up, pricing them out, and shipping. These people are so afraid of getting ripped off or something, but the reality is they have stuff they aren't using taking up space for no reason that is earning them zero dollars. Were they even her personal collection?

Lol at paying more than a dollar for any Chicago records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Have fun selling those individual records lady, especially if your friend has to look them up. You were saving her the hassle of looking them up, pricing them out, and shipping. These people are so afraid of getting ripped off or something, but the reality is they have stuff they aren't using taking up space for no reason that is earning them zero dollars. Were they even her personal collection?

Lol at paying more than a dollar for any Chicago records.

I explained all that to her incidentally. I hate to be a dick but if I'm being brutally honest she didn't seem terribly bright in general. I was very obviously giving her the lowest possible price I found reasonable because I wanted to haggle. I was very willing to give her more but anyone knows you never start with your top price. She wouldn't even consider giving me a number to counter. Plus she was mystified by all these "weird" albums which I think she thought were bizarre esoteric bands because somehow in her 70+ years on Earth she's never heard of ZZ Top, The Cars, and Neil Young. What doesn't make sense to me is why she didn't just tell me to come by when her friend who apparently sells the poo poo for her was available. I also happened to come across her because I was going to yard sales the other day and she said she had records to sell. I figured maybe they were in like some part of her house stacked on a big shelf which is why she told me to come back today. But nope, we're talking about maybe 3 milk crates worth of stuff in her shed. I have no idea why she couldn't have just showed me the records there that day. So on the off chance she doesn't want some absurd price for the poo poo I'd have to go waaaaay out to where she lives a third time. So gently caress it. I think part of the problem is that older people hear that "the kids are into vinyls again" and then they see a bunch of click bait articles about some ultra rare Beatles record that sold for tens of thousands of dollars so they just assume every single record out there (especially if it's a Beatles album) is a priceless artifact. I'm hoping she calls me back because I'm dying to know the number she's going to give me.

Oh and I just remembered the reason she made a point of looking up that Tom Petty album is because she heard Petty's widow was selling sealed copies of his albums for a thousand dollars a piece.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I think part of the problem is that older people hear that "the kids are into vinyls again" and then they see a bunch of click bait articles about some ultra rare Beatles record that sold for tens of thousands of dollars so they just assume every single record out there (especially if it's a Beatles album) is a priceless artifact. I'm hoping she calls me back because I'm dying to know the number she's going to give me.

Yeah. Same poo poo happened with comics. They hear someone found Action Comics #1 in the attic and sold it for a million bux. Now all comics are worth money. :rolleyes: Now its rare records... like Fleetwood Mac or Herb Albert that will make them rich. She is sitting on a goldmine but just needs to find someone who realizes the true value! Or she will pass away and they will be thrown in a dumpster or sold at the estate sale for a buck a pop.

Oh well. Sounds like you aren't missing much unless you are into boomer rock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Same poo poo happened with comics. They hear someone found Action Comics #1 in the attic and sold it for a million bux. Now all comics are worth money. :rolleyes: Now its rare records... like Fleetwood Mac or Herb Albert that will make them rich. She is sitting on a goldmine but just needs to find someone who realizes the true value! Or she will pass away and they will be thrown in a dumpster or sold at the estate sale for a buck a pop.

Oh well. Sounds like you aren't missing much unless you are into boomer rock.

There were some good titles in there but nothing I can't live without and a lot of the stuff she had which I would have been interested in is stuff I already have. I'm mostly just annoyed at her wasting my time and generally being a moron. Totally makes more sense to have a second person sell the records for you and take half the money instead of cutting out the middle man and having someone give you 100% of the money.

Relatedly, the day I met this lady I got a VG+ copy of There's a Riot Goin' On by Sly and the Family Stone from a different yard sale for two dollars.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 25, 2022

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I got back from the UK and Ireland yesterday. Ouch... I spent a lot of money on records. Crossed three major albums of my list - one from Felt, Sisters of Mercy, and Fatboy Slim. Safely packed 20-something records in two hardshell suitcases that were in checked bags for the trans-Atlantic journey. Next time will definitely be buying a dedicated case for transporting vinyl despite that.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

HK5000 posted:

I got back from the UK and Ireland yesterday. Ouch... I spent a lot of money on records. Crossed three major albums of my list - one from Felt, Sisters of Mercy, and Fatboy Slim. Safely packed 20-something records in two hardshell suitcases that were in checked bags for the trans-Atlantic journey. Next time will definitely be buying a dedicated case for transporting vinyl despite that.

Oooh, which Felt?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

last time I traveled with purpose of buying records I packed a bunch of mailers and fillers with me and repacked them into my suitcase like that and then did a full carry-on in a tote bag I carried all the way back. most expensive in the luggage, least expensive with me.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Read After Burning posted:

Oooh, which Felt?

The Splendour of Fear. I don't like how the spine has nothing on it but a white-on-red "E" on it. For being one of my favorite instrumental albums I feel like that's going to get lost in the shuffle soon.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

dorium posted:

last time I traveled with purpose of buying records I packed a bunch of mailers and fillers with me and repacked them into my suitcase like that and then did a full carry-on in a tote bag I carried all the way back. most expensive in the luggage, least expensive with me.

That makes sense. The last time I did this (from Amsterdam) I carried-on my vinyl. It felt like a huge risk doing the checked-in thing this time but I guess it works.

Sorry for the double post

I'm thinking next time I'll purchase something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AKOZLIN-Record-Carrying-Records-Durable/dp/B095M2BTMV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 25, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
A lot of the time, the warehouse workers from amazon wont seal the mailers completely so I can pop them open and they're basically like new. I've been saving a bunch of these for the purpose of flying with vinyl. Going to Canada this summer and I already bought 5 records from a friend there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

HK5000 posted:

The Splendour of Fear. I don't like how the spine has nothing on it but a white-on-red "E" on it. For being one of my favorite instrumental albums I feel like that's going to get lost in the shuffle soon.

:doh: I'm an idiot, thought you meant these guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felt_(hip_hop_group)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dorium posted:

Yeah I'm going back home to the UK for the first time in years and need to pick up some of my records. Might do something similar, possibly even bringing a 2nd case back with me as I have an upgraded seat on the return.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

Not an idiot, it's simply the matter of a... simple name I guess

Here is some of the music from the album mentioned though which sounds like a simple tune whispered on the wind...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHCjynXbCJo

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 26, 2022

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Record travel talk is interesting. I just got a turntable and have about five records to my name. However I’m thinking about bringing a bunch of my dads small collection back with me from the US to Korea this summer. I was thinking of throwing them in my carryon. I guess I will have to buy some mailers of some sort from Amazon or that special case that was posted.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I'm going back home to the UK for the first time in years and need to pick up some of my records. Might do something similar, possibly even bringing a 2nd case back with me as I have an upgraded seat on the return.

what I always wanted to do, and this is purely fantasy because the dude I knew who did this was a private hunter for like millionaires who would fly him to different world regions to buy records for them (because they were busy being millionaires, whatever it is that do) was to get an extra first class seat just for one of those DJ crates. He would lug that back and forth around the world seeking out rare records for collectors paying top dollar. Dunno what happened to him, covid probably killed a lot of that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

dorium posted:

what I always wanted to do, and this is purely fantasy because the dude I knew who did this was a private hunter for like millionaires who would fly him to different world regions to buy records for them (because they were busy being millionaires, whatever it is that do) was to get an extra first class seat just for one of those DJ crates. He would lug that back and forth around the world seeking out rare records for collectors paying top dollar. Dunno what happened to him, covid probably killed a lot of that.

Oh man what a dope gig. Probably get to score a lot for yourself too.

New wax Wednesday!

Pre ordered Project Gemini a while back. Throwback psych/fuzz/funky/library stuff.
Mr. Bongo Record Club V.1 is one I have been wanting for a while so I grabbed it too.

https://us.mrbongo.com/ Good poo poo.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
just managed to pick up a copy of black moth super rainbow's dandelion gum (club edition) relatively locally on eBay for *extremely* cheap. the inconvenience of living in Australia does have its upsides when Americans can't find the Australia-based listings :cheers:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

Record travel talk is interesting. I just got a turntable and have about five records to my name. However I’m thinking about bringing a bunch of my dads small collection back with me from the US to Korea this summer. I was thinking of throwing them in my carryon. I guess I will have to buy some mailers of some sort from Amazon or that special case that was posted.

If you want LP mailers specifically try Bags Unlimited. I don't know what they cost but they have them as well as every kind of box, case, or sleeve for any type of media or collectable imaginable.

strap on revenge posted:

just managed to pick up a copy of black moth super rainbow's dandelion gum (club edition) relatively locally on eBay for *extremely* cheap. the inconvenience of living in Australia does have its upsides when Americans can't find the Australia-based listings :cheers:

I bought a couple things from Australia when your currency poo poo the bed at the start of the pandemic.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 26, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nihonniboku posted:

Speaking of discogs. I ordered Metals by Feist from a seller in Germany. Took a few weeks to get delivered. This is what I pulled out.

Uh, what do I do? Do we think I can remove the label? Or do I need to insist on a refund from the seller?

It feels like this ordeal has been going on for months, but looking at this post, it was actually only 2 weeks.

Well, I got my refund. The seller never replied to my messages on discogs, and never participated in my claim for a refund through paypal, so just a few minutes ago my refund was automatically granted.

A couple of you were asking for a link to the sellers store to know to stay away from them. Here you go.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/Rafkastore/profile

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What are the chances it’s a reissue?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Toe Rag posted:

What are the chances it’s a reissue?

What do you mean?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

What do you mean?

Records, especially punk records, are identified by their pressing, eg “first press,” “second press,” and so on. When people stop buying them, or possibly other reasons, the label stops pressing them. If there is a new demand, a new pressing may be ran, which is called a “reissue.” For “reasons,” first pressing or original issues are far preferred to reissues. There may or may not be small differences between pressing or issues (eg address changes, logo changes, inserts, etc).

I am under the impression the Fugazi stuff never went out of print, and you’d have to exam the record and sleeve to determine whether you’re buying a original pressing or not. You could be paying nearly $200 for a record you could buy from the label for $15. Given the seller obviously isn’t looking at their stuff, I was making a very funny joke.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Toe Rag posted:

Given the seller obviously isn’t looking at their stuff, I was making a very funny joke.

Ah, yeah, I was wondering if you were asking if you could possible experience the same thing I went through. I'm not very familiar with Fugazi (which is criminal since I live in DC), so I wasn't sure if that was a normal price for that record.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I bought a basic-bitch turntable and have been happy with it since. This thing looks neat, but I just compared the price of a non-gimmick Orbit Plus and...lol

https://shopatlus.com/collections/persona-25th-anniversary/products/p25th-turntable

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Toe Rag posted:

For “reasons,” first pressing or original issues are far preferred to reissues.

The reasons are "I was into this band first. Everyone else is posers." Yeah. I knew rear end in a top hat punks back in the day and they were hardcore (no pun intended) gatekeepers. I also knew some cool ones that were just happy to share the music. I thought Fugazi records never went out of print and were cheap as well, but it looks like Repeater is going for $30ish on the normal market and is out of stock on the Discord website. All my Fugazi records have the price printed on the cover.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

sporklift posted:

All my Fugazi records have the price printed on the cover.

which also serves to identify which pressing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friend was in town the last week, and he told me he put his head into a market stall that was overloaded with records from different places. Some in racks, some just idly stacked on top of them in 'the bad way'. I went with him on the weekend to see if there was anything I fancied and holy poo poo, the pricing was absolutely insane. Talking like $40-60 on regular new releases I could get in down the road for probably $25-30 tops, which is still crazy but that's the marketplace these days. I expect that guy has been there years and years and it boggles my mind why he gets new releases cos nobody is paying those rates for them from what we saw.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Virgil Vox posted:

which also serves to identify which pressing

Yeah. Mine are from the late 90's early 2000's I think. Older ones were $6? My copy of Instrument was a whopping nine dollars.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah re dischord, I recently (actually, this was probably a few years ago now) ran across a copy of the embrace s/t lp at a bookstore being sold for 40 bucks and I could kinda see it if it was a first pressing, I guess

but then I flip it over and it's got the website information on the back cover

that record was first pressed in like 85

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

My friend was in town the last week, and he told me he put his head into a market stall that was overloaded with records from different places. Some in racks, some just idly stacked on top of them in 'the bad way'. I went with him on the weekend to see if there was anything I fancied and holy poo poo, the pricing was absolutely insane. Talking like $40-60 on regular new releases I could get in down the road for probably $25-30 tops, which is still crazy but that's the marketplace these days. I expect that guy has been there years and years and it boggles my mind why he gets new releases cos nobody is paying those rates for them from what we saw.

A lot of dealers would rather keep a death grip on their poo poo and wait for the one sucker than ever sell something for a reasonable price. This also applies to boomers who have poo poo just collecting dust.