Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any other youtube channel or website a noob could look into to get better at the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any other youtube channel or website a noob could look into to get better at the game?

This series of articles by Reid Duke is real good

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/level-one/level-one-full-course-2015-10-05

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1529953769697337345?t=o3ENCDHM5e1f18N_F11Jzg&s=19

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Doran the Siege Tower lookin fine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Other players exile creatures with greater power then your chosen creature. And also creatures with equal or lesser that werent chosen by them. Which is honestly just bad design, i think they should have gone with the simpler effect

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Whoever wrote the card needs to be flicked in the forehead for the weird wording, but I get it: Pick a creature you control, everyone else picks a creature they control with equal or lesser power, exile any remaining creatures on battlefield that were not chosen. I don't know why they had to write it the way they did.

Also, has anyone noticed the foils in New Capenna being a bit better than usual? I've had a few common foils laying out on my desk for the past couple weeks and they're still completely flat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is anyone even gonna play that over wrath of god?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Other players exile creatures with greater power then your chosen creature. And also creatures with equal or lesser that werent chosen by them. Which is honestly just bad design, i think they should have gone with the simpler effect
No, they don't exile them. The card does.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

For the exact same cost, I'd run Tragic Arrogance instead. It gets rid of way more (including your own stuff though), but you get to choose what everyone keeps.

That said I never really see anyone run traditional boardwipes in EDH anymore (though it's probably because I play more cEDH than anything)-- so you tend to see more Toxic Deluge, Cyclonic Rift, Fire Covenant, etc.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a wrath that lets you keep a creature and exile the rest of the board, and presumably like all other symmetrical effects you'll be playing it in a deck where you can get the most out of it

you're not playing it if you're not trying to be cheeky and be the only person who keeps something worthwhile

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's written the way it is because you can't use it as a Wrath if you have no creatures (you can still play it). You have no creature to choose if you play it with no creatures on board.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
The weirdness comes from the clause in the second half, but I imagine it's a safety valve.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

No, they don't exile them. The card does.

I hope a bus hits you

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well I hope you have a better day from now on!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I hope a bus hits you

lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What's the most bus-like magic card? Amugaba used to be nicknamed the Magic School Bus, but what else is there?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I feel like one of the common vehicles is a bus or vaguely bus-like at least. Craterhoof Behemoth is kind of like a bus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Not Magic but these immediately came to mind

The one on the left is fine, the one on the right is actually quite good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

all aboard

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Thanks!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Juggernaut is the OG bus

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Only people who want to break the simmetry and make it a 5 mana white Plague Wind.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm going to waste a lot of matches trying to make this work

Tons of fun with Emry.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's power equal to or less than the creature you choose so pick your Esper Sentinel or something and wipe out everyone not hanging onto a 1 power dork.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just saw chat on 1st edition charizard prices and holy poo poo I have some money now.

Thanks magic thread.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Abhorrence posted:

The weirdness comes from the clause in the second half, but I imagine it's a safety valve.

Yeah, if you remove the creature the caster targeted the second clause fizzles, right?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, if you remove the creature the caster targeted the second clause fizzles, right?

The spell doesn't target, you choose the creature on resolution and the opponent can't kill it in response.

The effect of the odd clause is to make it so that if you have no creatures on the board you don't get to wrath.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Only if you don't have any other creature.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy got pretty much shattered twice over, actually

Oh... welp :shobon:

I know they had to ban W6 in Legacy because like.. wasteland + W6 is obviously going to be insanely gross. Didn't realize it happened multiple times!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
essentially the problem with making new cards for extended formats is that you'd want to see them played in those formats, or making the set would be a waste. to get them played in those formats, though, they'll need to be targeted to be at a comparable power level to other cards currently played in those formats, which happen to be the best cards ever released in the span of time those formats covered

so, one of three things happen:
- you overshoot and have printed one of the best cards to have ever existed in mtg
- you undershoot and people forget the card even exists after a few weeks
- you manage to hit it right on target... but some people are still upset b/c they like playing with their old expensive cards and aren't thrilled to even consider buying new expensive cards as the format shifts

some people of course are gonna be happy to play with new cards no matter what, and wizards generally banks on people wanting to play with new toys, but i'd be interested to see what the particular demographics are in that aspect across standard players vs commander players vs modern players

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

If I remember well, there were in the past people advocating for a Modern-only set in order to bring legacy cards in the Modern pool (mainly stuff like wasteland, counterspell, cabal therapy, and force of will).
They were mostly disappointed because the set was full of watered down versions of legacy staples.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 27, 2022

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Yeah you have to remember one of the first cards they previewed for MH1 was cabal therapist so that didn't give a good first impression.
In other news reports of MTGO thefts are on the rose, make sure you are using a unique password https://mobile.twitter.com/cardhoarder/status/1523687921370681345

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

flatluigi posted:

essentially the problem with making new cards for extended formats is that you'd want to see them played in those formats, or making the set would be a waste. to get them played in those formats, though, they'll need to be targeted to be at a comparable power level to other cards currently played in those formats, which happen to be the best cards ever released in the span of time those formats covered

so, one of three things happen:
- you overshoot and have printed one of the best cards to have ever existed in mtg
- you undershoot and people forget the card even exists after a few weeks
- you manage to hit it right on target... but some people are still upset b/c they like playing with their old expensive cards and aren't thrilled to even consider buying new expensive cards as the format shifts

some people of course are gonna be happy to play with new cards no matter what, and wizards generally banks on people wanting to play with new toys, but i'd be interested to see what the particular demographics are in that aspect across standard players vs commander players vs modern players

The error people make is trying to cater to anyone who is a fan of how the game used to be. Make whatever you want and never listen to some old nerd

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nah, those players are invested in the game (in more ways than one!) and completely ignoring them isn't the right answer either

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh... welp :shobon:

I know they had to ban W6 in Legacy because like.. wasteland + W6 is obviously going to be insanely gross. Didn't realize it happened multiple times!

Here's my favorite example. This is the creature base in UR Delver, the most popular Legacy deck, in the last event before MH2:

This is from the first event after MH2:

They just immediately replaced all the non-Delver creatures with new creatures from MH2, and they were right to do so. "Well, that was the first event, surely the meta adjusted later!" Yeah, it did. Within two months, they'd started cutting Delvers, too:

Banning Ragavan got (most of) the decks back up to four Delvers, but even then they're not adding back in any of the other creatures other than usually one Brazen Borrower. They're mostly just playing extra Mishra's Baubles to make it easier to cast an early Murktide.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Murktide is so egregious. I played in a vintage event over the weekend and Murktide won the whole thing. In vintage!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Murko needs to go-go

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Murktide kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also Ledger Shredder kicks rear end and is a great addition to Murktide. I bought a playset from my LGS for $1 each and the next day it went up to like $9. Now they're $20 in paper which is a bit excessive imo