Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Maryanne kicked loving rear end at final tribal. Boom boom bada bing. Nobody saw it coming. Go girl.

Happy that the dudebro poo poo that seemed to be forming before the final challenge wilted, and Johnathan screwed up his fire.

Seems like Mike learned the most about the world. He seems like a better guy at the end. Johnathan still has enormous pecs. I hope he’s proud of them.

Yay for Hai’s FEMINIST t.

I wanted to hug Romeo at the end. Hope he goes far in life.

Pretty sure Omar is actually gay, but np if not (I know he’s engaged, but whatever).

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
decent season, great winner

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Spokes posted:

decent season, great winner

Yup.
Congratulations to STONE COLD 64, for winning the SA Tribal Council :golfclap:

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I've been critical of this and last season, but I will give credit where it's due. This season was undoubtedly an improvement, but it's like they took 3 steps back and I'm patting them on the back for 2 steps forward. I really enjoyed the segment where they interviewed the jury about their thoughts before the final tribal. I hope that becomes a staple. Mixed feelings. I still hate the shortened season, it goes by like a whirlwind but we got a nice and full final tribal (with seemingly little edits) full of good questions/explanations. Great cast of survivors. Among the more deserving of winners, especially after setting up the dramatic reveal during the jury interview. Well played. Epic firemaking challenge and bluff.

Can't tell if the cast is just jolly in general or if the game goes by so fast that nobody can hold a grudge.

Am I hearing this right, Romeo gained 2 pounds by the end? The one who was practically licking the rice pot?

Brass fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 26, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maryanne would have been the most surprising winner ever had they cut this off at the merge and picked a winner then, I was like "well maybe she'll learn something for when they bring her back." But drat it turns out she knew what she was doing, she played a great game and at some point before the Omer vote I started to think she might actually win the thing. The fact that she was able to break down her strategy so thoroughly was wonderful, and holding that idol until the speech was a great move, you could tell Mike and Romeo knew they were done then.

I found the first half of the season awful, but I'm pretty sure I say that every season, it takes me a while to warm up to the casts. I enjoyed the second half quite a bit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/1529627348315910144?s=20&t=Jabw4B2_FM7l5XrOr3ScZQ

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
A family member called while the "reunion" was happening. Was it any good?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Propaganda Machine posted:

A family member called while the "reunion" was happening. Was it any good?

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible. After a predictably near-unanimous vote, at one point Jeff asked the jury if any of them were going to vote for Mike (just to twist the knife I guess) and got some half-hearted "eh maybe" responses that Mike got to try to ruminate on while housing cold pizza. It was a mess lol.

Does anybody actually buy the "I don't already have my mind made up" line from the folks who have been hanging out at Ponderosa together for a week+? How many of the last 5 seasons have been unanimous or nearly so? How is the audience supposed to believe that the jury interview matters and doesn't just make for a little drama before they pick the winner?

That said, I'm stoked Maryanne won. The edit made it pretty predictable but she seems like an all around sweet person and she played the modern game post-merge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pandaal posted:

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible. After a predictably near-unanimous vote, at one point Jeff asked the jury if any of them were going to vote for Mike (just to twist the knife I guess) and got some half-hearted "eh maybe" responses that Mike got to try to ruminate on while housing cold pizza. It was a mess lol.

Does anybody actually buy the "I don't already have my mind made up" line from the folks who have been hanging out at Ponderosa together for a week+? How many of the last 5 seasons have been unanimous or nearly so? How is the audience supposed to believe that the jury interview matters and doesn't just make for a little drama before they pick the winner?

That said, I'm stoked Maryanne won. The edit made it pretty predictable but she seems like an all around sweet person and she played the modern game post-merge.

There are definitely some seasons where the jury is pretty locked in, but it seemed like this really was a case where most of the jury was undecided or maybe slightly leaning towards one person but willing to give someone else a chance. The only person who was probably 100% locked in was Jonathan, and Mike's said in exit press that if it was the other way round Jonathan would 100% have his vote.

Also Lindsay straight up called Jonathan a misogynist in exit press, so ha.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pandaal posted:

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible.
I agree with this I think. Maybe not terrible but just a snooze. I want to see them in the studio after being back in the real world for months and watching everything on TV.

Pretty ho hum reunion combined with a unanimous f5 vote where the big play was Maryanne NOT making the move she was set up to make brought this finale down a bit for me.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are definitely some seasons where the jury is pretty locked in, but it seemed like this really was a case where most of the jury was undecided or maybe slightly leaning towards one person but willing to give someone else a chance.
It seems like they largely wanted to vote for Maryanne but Mike had a decent chance if he'd come in with a different approach and/or if Maryanne hadn't shined. It's funny that Mike was the "biggest jury threat" since like F6 and made it to the end with an immunity win and fire performance and still got stomped.

The drawback of the new jury clips they introduced is that we instantly knew Mike wasn't delivering what we had just been told he needed to give. We saw in immediate succession:

1) Jury members saying explicitly that Mike needs to own his game and not try to sit on integrity and honor
2) Opening question: Mike was yours a game of integrity and honor
3) Mike: Yes thanks

It was like boom boom boom Game over

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Maryanne explained in exit press was that there was a low-lying vibe that Lindsay had been getting 'lucky' - she was lucky that Tori failed Shot in the Dark, then got lucky at Do or Die. If Maryanne had saved her at F5, then Lindsay's 'cockroach' resume gets stronger and she becomes even harder to beat. So she let her go.

You don't always need a list of big moves, you just need a few good ones and being able to back it up.

I think Lindsay was the largest threat at F6, if she'd scraped past F5 she'd probably be the odds-on favourite to win.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

I agree with this I think. Maybe not terrible but just a snooze. I want to see them in the studio after being back in the real world for months and watching everything on TV.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. As other people have pointed out, once they realized they could do the show cheaper, they weren't ever going to go back to doing it for more money. Plus, the shorter shoots just means that the crew they'll be away from home for less time than they were before.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the one week where I forget it's wednesday I miss the drat finale.

this season felt hella short

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

the one week where I forget it's wednesday I miss the drat finale.

this season felt hella short

Game Changers, 41, and 42 are the shortest seasons with 13 episodes each. Most of the recent seasons have been 14 episodes. A bunch of 15 and 16 episode seasons. The longest were Australian Outback and All Stars with 17 episodes each.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The big circle puzzle looks fun, honestly a lot of the block puzzles would be fun to have at a bar or something next to the giant jenga and whatnot.

Haha Salty Lindsay overlaid the start of spaghetti dinner was fun editing.

oof Mike's ball drop is 100% what I think I would do set before that thing, getting shamed by Jeff, have to stand around watching people play, knowing you're the record loser.

edit: bluuugh the immediate post-game chat is so weird, they haven't had time to decompress or reconnect with real life and get some perspective. Also i feel like pizza and champagne is gnarly combo, plus probably terrible on your bellyworks if you've been munching mostly rice for a month. Oh no, jeff really loves the do or die and they didn't tell him it sucked so it's coming back :-(

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 26, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Khanstant posted:

Also i feel like pizza and champagne is gnarly combo, plus probably terrible on your bellyworks if you've been munching mostly rice for a month.

This thought pops in my head after half of the food rewards, the worst being the gigantic chocolate feast in HvV. I can't imagine how you wouldn't spew all over the beach after that

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Chicken and vegetables, or cake and cookies?
I mean, I know Omar is vegetarian, but still...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
rice AND beans AND spices. they should take the "earn it" mentality even to the post-game. they can buy greasy hearty meals later with their earned prizes.

saw preview for next season, but not much there besides they're doing another one but that's usually how it is these days I suppose.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I thought it was a pretty satisfying ending last night. The progression of Maryanne as the season went on was pretty neat to see. Also massive kudos to her for saving that idol bomb for ftc instead of showing it at final five.

After watching Mike get ripped apart I'm really interested what it would have been like if Jonathan was there instead. Not that I think he had any shot of beating Maryanne but just interested in what the jury would do to him.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Lindsay exit press:

You and Maryanne both made comments about the way Jonathan was talking to and treating women on the beach. What was the issue there?

To put it in a quick sentence, Jonathan's a misogynist. Or at least it felt that way on the island. I'm not someone who's going to be talked to that way in real life. In real life, I would never have accepted being spoken to that way for myself or anybody else that I would've seen that happen [to], but it's a social game so you really can't say that. In my mind, that was very infuriating internally for me. So I figure, "How else can I do this? You know what? I'm going to beat you at the one thing that you're good at, and I'll just beat you in challenges instead. So that was my little way to get back at you considering I can't voice myself in a social game that way."

The edit made it seem like at first you guys were close and then started to drift apart. Is that the case?

I would say up [until] day five we were close. And then me and Jonathan had a kind of bout together where I started noticing more of his true colors. At that point, I started noticing [things], but I was thinking, "Oh, maybe he is under fed. Maybe it's just because I'm a very outspoken person. He's very alpha. Maybe it's because I'm kind of alpha too."

And then as time went on, I started being able to gather like, "Okay, this is a trend that I notice." So no, that was under my skin for a while. He was part of my four of Taku, but he wasn't somebody I was really going back and forth with on strategy at all. I noticed that I couldn't tell Jonathan a strategy, Omar had to do it. So when Omar would pitch it, Jonathan would listen. If I pitched it, [it] would get neglected.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-lindsay-dolashewich-finale-interview/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Now I'm extra interested in seeing what the Jury would have done to him lol

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

I started season 2, and was like, nah, this is enough Survivor for me.

For what it's worth Aus S2 is one of the best Survivor seasons of all time. I would say top 5 easily.

On this season, satisfying winner. I was rooting for Maryanne since day one. I was way into her positivity and crazy energy levels. And I love a non bitter jury. Good times.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I absolutely buy that Maryann won that in tribal. It wasn’t just that perfectly timed and described idol reveal and strategy lay out, it was Mike just completely missing what the jury wanted him to say. If Mike owns his poo poo and gives them what they want and/or Maryann doesn’t have that bomb then that felt like it was going the other way.

Look, I agree generally that people have thought about it for a long time and know what they’re doing. But it’s silly to just assume everyone was lying especially when Maryann’s entire game resume rested on something none of them knew. It also seemed like they really weren’t giving her the full weight of the Omar move. So like even if most of the time the jury knows what they’re doing that doesn’t mean it never happens.

And it’s good Romeo was able to come out of that with some dignity. Early in that episode I was thinking he had just become pure comedy relief. The fake idol storyline really had legacy written all over it before he went and won immunity.

And I don’t care what anyone says. Rocks amuses me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, final tribal is like getting grilled in a school presentation or something. You have to listen to the question and identify what they're trying to get from you as a result of it. Maryann absolutely crushed final tribal and earned that win.

Two women of color winning back to back, both Toronto-area residents, pretty great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Maryanne holding onto her hidden idol so she could pull it out as supplementary evidence for playing a smart game was awesome, especially as everyone had seen Mike play his hidden idol for her which would confirm she hadn't told anyone. Very cool to see her basically come out of nowhere in the last stages of the game with some incredibly big moves and be able to back it up at final.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Credit to the edit too. When she didn't use the idol at F5 and no one brought it up I was like "wait,. didn't Maryann have an idol? Did I mess that up? Did it expire last round or something?" The show not bringing it up so she could surprise us too with the big mic drop moment was very well done.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I wanted Omar to win so bad lmao. He was such an ultimate puppet master for a bit there!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm at a place where I openly root for the puppet master to be taken down. Its way more fun. The second they get cocky I'm watching the clock.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Very happy with the winner and overall season

Warts and all

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

Yup.
Congratulations to STONE COLD 64, for winning the SA Tribal Council :golfclap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOsqdghHcIk

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Lindsay exit press:

You and Maryanne both made comments about the way Jonathan was talking to and treating women on the beach. What was the issue there?

To put it in a quick sentence, Jonathan's a misogynist. Or at least it felt that way on the island. I'm not someone who's going to be talked to that way in real life. In real life, I would never have accepted being spoken to that way for myself or anybody else that I would've seen that happen [to], but it's a social game so you really can't say that. In my mind, that was very infuriating internally for me. So I figure, "How else can I do this? You know what? I'm going to beat you at the one thing that you're good at, and I'll just beat you in challenges instead. So that was my little way to get back at you considering I can't voice myself in a social game that way."

I loved that about her, being the other challenge beast, but knowing she did it as a way to channel her tactically-buried irritation with him being a lovely dude makes it all the better. Go lindsay.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I thought it was a pretty satisfying ending last night. The progression of Maryanne as the season went on was pretty neat to see. Also massive kudos to her for saving that idol bomb for ftc instead of showing it at final five.

After watching Mike get ripped apart I'm really interested what it would have been like if Jonathan was there instead. Not that I think he had any shot of beating Maryanne but just interested in what the jury would do to him.

yeah I really wanted Jonathan in the final 3, it would've been funny. interesting that he was the only vote for Mike when Maryanne killed it pretty cleanly. Def agree with Jeff's take on Maryanne

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Maryanne :canada:

I almost didn't expect her win because F5/F4 didn't exactly go her way but then she dropped the mic at the final tribal. A part of me started rooting for Romeo after he won immunity just based on how nonsensical that win would be but he also did much better than I thought he would at tribal.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i went to wrestling last night and saw multiple people wearing omar's emu shirt

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Shneak posted:

A part of me started rooting for Romeo after he won immunity just based on how nonsensical that win would be but he also did much better than I thought he would at tribal.

Yeah I thought he acquitted himself pretty well considering what he had to work with. He didn't come off as delusional or just give up like Troyzan or someone. I wasn't the biggest Maryanne fan, but I think her final tribal performance might be an all-timer. It reminded me of a good dissertation defense, and combined with how badly Mike misread the jury, I can believe that she really did change some votes there.

I really dug Hai all season, but I think 'gaslight' is a bit strong to describe lying on Survivor. From the exit press I read, it sounds like he was irritated because Romeo kept invoking his religion when lying, and Hai is an atheist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. I think gaslighting is kind of what happens a lot on Survivor. It’s part of the game so you’re inclined to feel like that word is too serious for it but then it’s also people living 24/7 and in getting pushed to the brink and some people definitely do manipulate more and hit more personal buttons. So like it’s messy.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Yeah it’s hard to say where the line is when lying becomes gaslighting. Some combination of intent, persistence and completely disregarding obvious facts. From the edit I didn’t get that, but it’s easy to see how Hai could have felt that way when we see such little social interaction any more.

I always hate learning that the cast is jerks. Like Johnathon went from a cool dudebro to misogynist pretty quick.

Hopefully Maryanne is as sweet and innocent, if slightly obnoxious, as she seems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

These kind of casts always give me a messier vibe than the more dysfunctional ones. Like there’s a certain comfort level in knowing where you stand with someone. Having your “friend” lie and betray you can gently caress with you. So like this whole cast had a very positive “good game” vibe but they’re only human so people are gonna have hurt feelings and resentments. If you don’t like someone and they screwed you you can just roll your eyes at them, but if you like them and they’re making excuses or being weasely about it that can drive you insane.

It’s a tough game.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
My opinion on it is that if you get hurt by a complete stranger in a game where the first word of the tagline is "Outwit" then you're out of your depth and deserved to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SweetJahasus posted:

My opinion on it is that if you get hurt by a complete stranger in a game where the first word of the tagline is "Outwit" then you're out of your depth and deserved to lose.

A huge part of Survivor is that they're not total strangers by the end of the game, or even early vote outs, and many of the players end up staying friends post-game. Emotions are good, bring 'em on!!!