Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Those are all good shirts but I bet they'd all look better when complimented with a nice leather jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The one in the final scene is honestly pretty cool. I also like that half black and half white one, he's wearing when he is sitting at the table in the back of Satriale's.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxqxby/what-makes-tony-sopranos-clothes-and-outfits-so-good You guys saw this article right?

I tried to replicate Tony's look when I first started watching the show, in high school, if I am being honest. My dad was thoroughly amused.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

escape artist posted:

The one in the final scene is honestly pretty cool. I also like that half black and half white one, he's wearing when he is sitting at the table in the back of Satriale's.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxqxby/what-makes-tony-sopranos-clothes-and-outfits-so-good You guys saw this article right?

I tried to replicate Tony's look when I first started watching the show, in high school, if I am being honest. My dad was thoroughly amused.

Man that shot of Tony with the string of sausages round his neck. A long stretch of raw sausage meat rubbing up on your clothes and skin. Ew.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Those are all good shirts but I bet they'd all look better when complimented with a nice leather jacket.

It's the jaaaack..etttt!

this guy Rocko Demeo, toughest guy on the block...

I ever tell ya this story?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It always cracks me up when the jacket reappears on Chris' heroin buddy in season 5.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Loss is somewhere in this shirt...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:agreed:

That one is definitely in my top 5 Tony shirts

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm not sure what this picture of Robert Evans has to do with this thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was always partial to this one

Also, Furio rocked the coolest shirts

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

No it's a joke. Her name is Livia but in the show she dies. Just goes to show what a master of his craft David Chase was

they call him tony because he's always driving to new york

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

maaaan University is a really upsetting episode. maybe the most upsetting thing in an episode of TV I've ever seen? I didn't catch on my first watch that they were drawing similarities between Tracee and Kaitlin.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Ainsley McTree posted:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thread title

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

maaaan University is a really upsetting episode. maybe the most upsetting thing in an episode of TV I've ever seen? I didn't catch on my first watch that they were drawing similarities between Tracee and Kaitlin.

I dunno the episode with Melfi being attacked is worse imo, it just seems gratuitous.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's definitely hard to watch (i admit that i skip that scene on every rewatch) but I don't know if i'd call it gratuitous. I think maybe it was Jerusalem who mentioned it in his recap, or maybe someone else in the discussion, but it's depicted as an act of brutal violence with no eroticism or anything at all; and then afterward it does a good job of showing how the system does very little to actually support survivors or seek justice.

It's a good scene, it's just one that i refuse to watch ever again, once was enough for me

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TheKingslayer posted:

Loss is somewhere in this shirt...

From the dropped storyline where they bust out Jack Flash

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
For as rough of a watch as it is, "Employee of the Month" is an important episode for the development of Melfi as a character. It's a necessary exploration of her continued involvement with Tony and his world, and the ending serves as a pretty definitive statement to the viewer that there are lines she will never cross.

Part of what makes "University" feel especially cruel is that Tracee is not a character we know or have any familiarity with beforehand; she's introduced, repeatedly brutalized and finally murdered in the span of 50 minutes. It's not unusual for the show to bust out a new character and kill them off unceremoniously, but the way that she is subjected to a level of abuse at the Bing that has gone unaddressed or simply been glossed over to this point is especially jarring. (Plus it seems like her death is just there to advance Tony's story and his conflict with Ralphie.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

For as rough of a watch as it is, "Employee of the Month" is an important episode for the development of Melfi as a character. It's a necessary exploration of her continued involvement with Tony and his world, and the ending serves as a pretty definitive statement to the viewer that there are lines she will never cross.

that too, yeah; one wonders if the same arc could have been accomplished with something other than rape, but I think they did it well, it didn't come off as a cheap thrill or anything to me (even if i refuse to watch it ever again)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's definitely hard to watch (i admit that i skip that scene on every rewatch) but I don't know if i'd call it gratuitous. I think maybe it was Jerusalem who mentioned it in his recap, or maybe someone else in the discussion, but it's depicted as an act of brutal violence with no eroticism or anything at all; and then afterward it does a good job of showing how the system does very little to actually support survivors or seek justice.

It's a good scene, it's just one that i refuse to watch ever again, once was enough for me

Agreed.

It also sets up Melfi's decision (or not) to turn to the Dark Side/Seek Revenge, gave her agency and a line in the sand to draw to make a moral choice that strongly defined her character. It was kind of collateral damage from treating Tony but told in a different way. He didn't LEAD to it, of course, but Melfi struggled with the idea of embracing the power she could exploit by knowing him.

ANY rape scene or story is going to be tough to watch and pushing the boundaries of good taste. There's really no two ways about it or a host methods to handle filming it "tastefully". Same can be said of things like lynchings, torture, war crimes, child abuse, prison executions, cross burning, swindling old people, homophobia, spousal abuse, concentration camps, pedophilia and I could go on and on and on.

If you're making a movie or a show about bad people doing bad things that happen in real life and throughout history, I don't know if setting up something terrible, heavily implying it and then fading to black or having a character describe it on screen later is that much more of an effective runaround for the problem as it relates to good taste versus good film making, story telling and getting the horror across. It's a fine line and good directors straddle it well but you can't tell a story in a visual medium conveying horrible things without showing them being horrible.

Janet Leigh's tits and rear end being shown in the Psycho shower scene would be gratuitous. Or Leatherface cutting up bodies in Texas Chainsaw Massacre and, interestingly enough, millions of people will swear they saw both. There were a couple of scenes in Jaws that were cut out because Speilberg thought they went too far but you still have to show the 8 year old Kettner boy being eaten and make the shark terrifying. Taxi Driver wouldn't have been as powerful without the creepy interactions between Iris and Sport. Nor would a movie like Sleepers have worked as well, along similar lines, even though it required seeing young kids being abused.

The Exorcist, etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/timeimmemorial_/status/1522257047860957189

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

You can tell that's an expensive shirt by how complicated the pattern is.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm0MoY5uI5s

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Absolutely incredible

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, Ray Liotta died at 67

Wasn't he considered for the role of Tony early on and turned it down because he didn't want to be stereotyped?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't he considered for the role of Tony early on and turned it down because he didn't want to be stereotyped?

Don't know if that's true or not but either way I'm kinda glad it didn't happen, as much as I like Ray Liotta. The pilot had a little too much "goodfellas: the show" going on already and that would not have helped

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

He was indeed considered, and I believe they offered him the part, if I recall correctly! He wanted to do movies and didn't want to lock himself into what he thought at the time would be a two-year commitment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maybe he didn't really die and his screen just went black

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrMojok posted:

He was indeed considered, and I believe they offered him the part, if I recall correctly! He wanted to do movies and didn't want to lock himself into what he thought at the time would be a two-year commitment.

That would have been really weird if Bracco got Carm's part like was also apparently originally offered.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thank god we still have Ray's twin brother.

God why'd that movie have to be so bad

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I liked his performance as the twin in prison but Hollywood Dick was like an SNL impression of a Ray Liotta character.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still amazed he did Vice City. An actor of his caliber had no obligation to do that but he did it for us (and i assume a big briefcase of cash) anyway

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

Thank god we still have Ray's twin brother.

God why'd that movie have to be so bad

Lotta twins in NJ apparently find their way into the mob

I tried to watch Saints again last night in honor of Liotta after noping out the first time and I had to stop. It's astonishingly bad. Poor writing, bad acting, cheap cinematography and bad directing. It's like everything the Sporanos is not and seems like it was made by someone else.

I made it about 1/4 of the way this time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm still amazed he did Vice City. An actor of his caliber had no obligation to do that but he did it for us (and i assume a big briefcase of cash) anyway

He was a nightmare to work with apparently, he thought he was a lot better than being in a video game and didn't realize how much dialogue he'd actually have to record

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I haven't watched the film and I won't watch the film because it sounds like a film-length version of that scene with vito's kid in the shower

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Watching Many Saints of Newark, FINALLY.

"This war wasn't my idea!" :lol:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

crispix posted:

I haven't watched the film and I won't watch the film because it sounds like a film-length version of that scene with vito's kid in the shower

Nah, not really. Not at all actually.

I don't know how to describe it. Oh, wait, yeah I do.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's astonishingly bad. Poor writing, bad acting, cheap cinematography and bad directing. It's like everything the Sporanos is not and seems like it was made by someone else.

It's just...a movie that kinda tries to render some fan service here and there but does none of things that fans of the show actually like or would care about. It's next to impossible to care about any of the characters, the plot is all over the place and the only good acting I saw was Gandolfini's kid who's almost an afterthought. Granted, I didn't finish it so maybe it picks up in the second half.

I very rarely quit on a book or a film once I'm into it but this one got me to break my rule.

Godfather 3 was a better sequel.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m afraid I agree. I expect some “hey, remember on Sopranos when we talked about a thing that happened in 1966? Well now you get to *see* it happen!” moments, as well as a lot of “hey, it’s young Silvio!” type moments.

But when the movie is literally nothing but that strung together by an insipid plot, some poor acting, and the whole film even just looks ugly… ooof, madonn’.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought it was fine. I liked getting a little more backstory and a nice twist about who really killed Chris's father. It was not offensive or boring at any points.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 28, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One little "twist" I really, really liked was finding out that Dickie Moltisanti's reputation for being a drug addict was based almost entirely off Livia finding out he had prescription drugs on him when he died, not knowing Tony had asked him to get them so he could slip them to her in an effort to medicate her, and immediately starting the rumor that he was a pill-popper.

Also the scene where Livia meets the guidance counselor and they talk about her reading bedtime stories to Tony while Johnny Boy was in prison was like the best scene of the entire movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
oh my god that young silvio guy was like a madtv sketch

not even an snl level impression