Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

The Dissolution faction I am highly skeptical of. How many empires even went through that sort of split? Even the Ummayads I don't think actually went down that way.

Meanwhile I'd expect the AI to completely explode every game under that pressure...

Ck3 desperately needs more internal politics and challenge in maintaining a big empire but yeah this seems like the stellaris special of “mechanic trivial to manage for the player but impossible for the AI”

But who knows maybe it’ll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oh nice I was hoping we'd get one more before the DLC! :toot:

Happy to see they are going to keep working on Clan government. The Clan contracts are a nice start but I don't think by itself its enough to make me want to play Clan again.

Very happy to see that you can split from a Christian faith and keep ecumenical if I'm reading that right!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

What I'm most impatient for is new flavor and mechanics for steppe nomads. I really loved the Horse Lords dlc for CK2, and playing as a steppe tribal right now is basically interchangeable with every other landlocked tribal realm.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah they've shown a real distaste for making different types of society play differently than each other, and I don't much care for it.

The fact that playing as Steppe Nomads is exactly the same as playing as the Roman Emperor, which is exactly the same as Normans, which is exactly the same as playing in India is really disheartening.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Neurion posted:

What I'm most impatient for is new flavor and mechanics for steppe nomads. I really loved the Horse Lords dlc for CK2, and playing as a steppe tribal right now is basically interchangeable with every other landlocked tribal realm.

100% agreed. Playing a steppe nomad, and honestly most other tribals, is just a less interesting version of playing as asatru atm. Really need some updates to change that. But they do seem at least motivated to keep working on the game and this flavor pack is coming out much faster than the last update so hopefully we'll see more progress there in the not so far future.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The Dissolution faction I am highly skeptical of. How many empires even went through that sort of split? Even the Ummayads I don't think actually went down that way.

Meanwhile I'd expect the AI to completely explode every game under that pressure...

See, the difference is that I don't really care if it's not very historical, I think it'll be fun to watch empires explode. I prefer playing small anyway, especially as a vassal. Being a toxic vassal that joins a realm just to cause it to fracture into a million pieces sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont care if is not historical either but it seems to me the AI is already has a pretty hard time keeping their realm stable as it is, so Im not sure another way for them to break is a good thing

But maybe this new DLC will bring to some improvments on that front too

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think the reason I wish this game was more historical is just because that's vastly more interesting than the nonsense that happens in 98% of CK3 games.

I do want to see a realm undergoing a series of brutal civil wars and then a bunch of steppe nomads serving as mercenaries and establishing themselves as rulers in the heartland. I do not want to see German Emperors randomly converting to Adamitism and then the Empire just dissolving itself and then staying as a border gore mess for the rest of the game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
But how would you make a game like this "more historical" without also making it completely predictable based on events that took place in the actual history of these lands?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you can’t. there should just be a game rule slider like there is for other poo poo that increases or decreases historical stability

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

But how would you make a game like this "more historical" without also making it completely predictable based on events that took place in the actual history of these lands?

You'd need some equivalent of "Historical AI Focuses" but I feel like Crusader Kings has too many moving parts with the emphasis on ruler traits and succession to make that practical. HoI doesn't have a lot of ways to force a non-player faction down an ahistorical path (The UK isn't going to force Democratic Germany in 1937, for instance) but in CK3 I can save England from falling to the Holy Roman Empire as the King of Ireland by assassinating the claimant the Kaiser is using as a CB on the title so that I still have a chance at grabbing it later (and also so my own war for a Ducal title doesn't turn into a war with the HRE).

There's way too much butterfly effect in CK with all of the moving parts involved.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah I dont want "more historical" if it means more railroaded. I want crazy poo poo to happen

But in my experience so far, the crazy poo poo ends up being a bit repetitive after some games cause its usually the same

And I think the AI needs some help managing its internal politics so they arent constantly in civil war, when for the human player is somewhat trivial to keep a huge continent spanning empire nice and stable

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how much are they limited by forcing the AI to play with player mechanics? could they give Byzantine counts/dukes a loyalty bonus to the emperor for an AI ruler that isn’t there if the user hops in, or heighten the threshold for factions/civil wars?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah I dont want "more historical" if it means more railroaded. I want crazy poo poo to happen

But in my experience so far, the crazy poo poo ends up being a bit repetitive after some games cause its usually the same

And I think the AI needs some help managing its internal politics so they arent constantly in civil war, when for the human player is somewhat trivial to keep a huge continent spanning empire nice and stable

I think this might be more a meta discussion than anything: the crazy poo poo is still confined by the game systems. So even if the Kaiser goes Adamite and starts prancing around naked, he's still Kaiser of the HRE, still has an HRE style court, still presses claims, etc etc.

The interesting wacky things, at least for me, come about in the theater of the mind when I'm looking at a chain of events where ABC happened and imagining what wacky hijinks ensued to get us there. They're also pretty dependent on player interaction to be able to see the chain of events leading to it. It's my "Honourable Third Party" example of assassinating a claimant to save a rival kingdom from assimilation so I can assimilate them later. It's goofy, but you'd never see the AI doing this because it all happens in the background outside of your view unless you discover the murder secret and somehow connect the dots after the fact.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the crazy poo poo is kind of what sells CK for better or worse so I feel like trying to make it more historical would alienate the core to please a pretty small minority

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I have never understood complaints about things being ahistorical based on that they didn’t happen. Our actual history reflects a lot of very low percentage outcomes. I get gripes based on the impossible or the blatantly inaccurate such as names being wrong, but once the stage is set with the starting date things should be focused on the possible, and taking a crown and smashing it would be very possible.

I’ve infiltrated the Romans just to undermine them within plenty times and I would much rather have broke that empire than be stuck with the crown. In fact I have a setup in mind to do just that with after the update!

For those worried about the ai managing it, fair. I recommend playing on higher realm stability to see if you like that better. It really does make a difference in my experience.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SlothBear posted:

For those worried about the ai managing it, fair. I recommend playing on higher realm stability to see if you like that better. It really does make a difference in my experience.

Never tried it. Dont that makes the game easier for the player too?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Never tried it. Dont that makes the game easier for the player too?

It depends who you play as. If you start as a count the presence of large stable ai realms makes things noticeably harder in my experience.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I am having an absolutely blessed Rurik run out of Novgorod. Stayed Norse and Asatru, but formed the Empire of Russia, and reformed Asatru and made it Monogomous, and replaced Blot with Reincarnation. Managed to also Feudalize the entire De Jure Russian Empire while sitting on 2000 gold. I almost feel like I've won the game, but I think I'm going to try to restore Norse Supremacy in Scandinavia from out of the Russian heartlands. I feel very accomplished already though.

I also absolutely love the kinds of characters you find in a Norse Pagan Empire:

This daughter was actually challenged to a duel by my Marshal, who ripped her in half.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 25, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Reading in the thread, they say that empire titles exploding just happens as result of a Struggle, so it will not be happening left and right.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm going back and forth on whether I should 'reorganize' the titles in my realm. I'm thinking about things like moving my capital and personal holdings, revoking and granting titles to "clean up" de jure dutchies, and other such tyranny-producing busywork. I'm pretty sure my character can simply terrify everyone into going along with it (100 dread with no dread decay), but is the effort of limiting everyone to one ducal title and putting everything in the right place "worth it?"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I'm going back and forth on whether I should 'reorganize' the titles in my realm. I'm thinking about things like moving my capital and personal holdings, revoking and granting titles to "clean up" de jure dutchies, and other such tyranny-producing busywork. I'm pretty sure my character can simply terrify everyone into going along with it (100 dread with no dread decay), but is the effort of limiting everyone to one ducal title and putting everything in the right place "worth it?"

It is when you have a succession that will pass it on in that same clean state. If you know you're just going to have to do it all over again for the next four generations I usually don't bother at that point other than making sure the best areas are going to my heir. Moving the capital for instance if you have a place that's clearly head and shoulders above your current area is usually a good idea.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Warmachine posted:

IMO in my recent empire runs, I have put extra emphasis on de jure titles and making sure that Dukes hold their de jure lands, either as a vassal or directly. If there's a rebellion I make sure that I grant rightful lieges before handing out the revoked titles, and in my experience this has greatly contributed to the overall stability of the Empire. Revoking for tyranny is a mixed bag, it can sometimes set a faction over the edge or tip a strong vassal into it. Then again, it's useful for triggering factions to rebel prematurely and thus making it easier to do the thing, but then you still have the tyranny looming over you.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

What's a good fun vassal start where you can/should remain a vassal? I am a bit tired of becoming the top dog of a huge empire, I want to struggle and having to raise my 300 levies and 50 men at arms to try and beat my yokel neighbors down for their stuff

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it ONLY Norse that have the option to dismantle the Papacy? I took over Rome with my reformed witch coven Christian faith and now I have a homeless Pope in hiding somewhere throwing Crusades at me on cooldown.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Per the wiki it is Norse, Islamic, Greco-Roman, Slavic or Baltic. https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Decisions#Dismantle_the_Papacy

Warmachine posted:

In practical terms you don't get a lot out of it (though you would want to make sure the Dukes own all the counties in their territory to maximize what they're passing along to you). But Pretty Borders are always always worth it

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 26, 2022

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Ah poo poo, I should have adopted Greco-Roman BEFORE I spent most of one ruler's lifetime to create a new Christian faith.

Edit: jesus, converting to this would cost me 600,000 piety so yeah that's not gonna happen.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 26, 2022

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ah poo poo, I should have adopted Greco-Roman BEFORE I spent most of one ruler's lifetime to create a new Christian faith.

Edit: jesus, converting to this would cost me 600,000 piety so yeah that's not gonna happen.

Do you know its really easy to convert faiths this patch? apostate + two other character modifiers is enough to convert to any faith

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm going to be honest, I thought this might end up being a short reign. But no. Not only did she reorganize the realm and establish an empire, consecrate her bloodline, and install two crusader-kingdoms, she also has a grandchild in line for the throne who will be able to take the strengthen bloodline decision.

She was also evil as gently caress. Which I suppose is a must if you're going to brute-force reorganize Brittania via tyranny.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I just managed to get 76 counties in Britain, but before I could save the money to declare myself Emperor, I died. :colbert:

I just do not get succession at all anymore. Is this working as designed or is it bugged? Long time CK2 vet and it just doesn't look right.

I had a ton of sons, confederate partition and my chosen heir (Anglo-Saxon Elective) got nearly everything. He was elected King of England of course, the game created the Kingdom of Ireland and gave it to him, along with all of my duchies and counties. Does the game not count elective titles when doing this? Why didn't they give Ireland to another son? The game also created the Kingdom of Wales and gave it to my oldest son, an insane peg leg Plobian (is this a proto Polish culture?) duke. Why didn't any of my other sons get titles?

I'm actually allied with the new King of Wales, and I'm young enough, that if I war hard enough in Alba and Ireland and pick the right skills, I should be able to establish the Empire and vassalize him peacefully.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

scaterry posted:

Do you know its really easy to convert faiths this patch? apostate + two other character modifiers is enough to convert to any faith

I think converting from a reformed faith to an unreformed faith is still difficult, no?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

TorakFade posted:

What's a good fun vassal start where you can/should remain a vassal? I am a bit tired of becoming the top dog of a huge empire, I want to struggle and having to raise my 300 levies and 50 men at arms to try and beat my yokel neighbors down for their stuff

Sardinia, swear fealty to Byzantium. You've got a lot of places to mess around in. Italy, North Africa, Spain, France... It's very defensible, being on a large hilly island and it's got a gold mine so you can easily punch above your weight. It's a great place to play tall.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

scaterry posted:

That arithmetic is bugged and/or wrong. If you just take the bonuses alone it only drops the cost to 201 piety using multiplicative stacking, which I can't see any way the penalties fail to push that above 250. If the bonuses are stacking additively that's -214%, which still makes me ask what's happening with the +500% penalty.

The only way I can think of making those figures work is if bonuses stack additively and penalties are multiplicative, which is stupid beyond belief so now as I type that I realize of course it's gonna be the way it's implemented...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Any of the special counties are great places if you want to remain count/duke sized. Göttingen in Saxony is a really good one if you want to play in western Europe. You start as a count of a copper mine province (the mine is only built in 1066 though), your liege is a mega duke who can crush you if he ever felt like it, you have claims to some of your fellow vassals, and if you do decide to expand to duke size your duchy is only 5 counties.

In Africa, either Manding is a good place with the gold mines, or another one I like is Benin. The Walls of Benin give a very nice boost to development, along with a +2 fort level, a slowed hostile raid time, a large levy boost, and some extra cash, and is a 2 province duchy if you want to stay small.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

scaterry posted:

What happens to my feudal empire if I convert to an unreformed faith?

I don’t have access to a bunch of stuff in your screenshot but apostate gets it down to “only” 116,000 piety required…

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Like, this is what I'm looking at. It's a far cry from the example you posted.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

I just managed to get 76 counties in Britain, but before I could save the money to declare myself Emperor, I died. :colbert:

I just do not get succession at all anymore. Is this working as designed or is it bugged? Long time CK2 vet and it just doesn't look right.

I had a ton of sons, confederate partition and my chosen heir (Anglo-Saxon Elective) got nearly everything. He was elected King of England of course, the game created the Kingdom of Ireland and gave it to him, along with all of my duchies and counties. Does the game not count elective titles when doing this? Why didn't they give Ireland to another son? The game also created the Kingdom of Wales and gave it to my oldest son, an insane peg leg Plobian (is this a proto Polish culture?) duke. Why didn't any of my other sons get titles?

I'm actually allied with the new King of Wales, and I'm young enough, that if I war hard enough in Alba and Ireland and pick the right skills, I should be able to establish the Empire and vassalize him peacefully.

Elective successions make confederate partition screwy, because it doesn't count the elective title. So, probably:

Game ignores the England title. It creates and gives Kingdom titles based on when you made them, or if they're not made and it's confederate, based on when you got enough titles to make them. Assuming you went England-Wales-Ireland, it made Wales first, and gave it (plus any titles below it) to your oldest son. I'm assuming your chosen heir is the second son? Because if so, that would make sense why it gave Ireland and everything in it to him. Then the elective stuff happens, resulting in your giant king of England and Ireland. I'm not sure how titles within your elective title work, but assuming they just give everything to the winner, that would explain why your other sons get nothing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Elective successions make confederate partition screwy, because it doesn't count the elective title. So, probably:

Game ignores the England title. It creates and gives Kingdom titles based on when you made them, or if they're not made and it's confederate, based on when you got enough titles to make them. Assuming you went England-Wales-Ireland, it made Wales first, and gave it (plus any titles below it) to your oldest son. I'm assuming your chosen heir is the second son? Because if so, that would make sense why it gave Ireland and everything in it to him. Then the elective stuff happens, resulting in your giant king of England and Ireland. I'm not sure how titles within your elective title work, but assuming they just give everything to the winner, that would explain why your other sons get nothing.

Yeah, my second son was the heir. Because I didn't think I could get a one legged, lunatic foreigner elected. Also, I didn't want to deal with a duchy in eastern Germany.

My two duchies and four counties were inside England, so I guess they went with the elected title?

The game created both the Ireland and Wales titles.

I did make sure that even my youngest sons all had a county (one in Brittany, one in Alba), so that might have helped.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Like, this is what I'm looking at. It's a far cry from the example you posted.

Let me explain—
the modifiers above apostate are called scripted modifiers. They stack multiplicatively.
the modifiers including apostate and below are called character modifiers. They stack additively.
In other words, if you stack enough character modifiers to hit -100%, every faith (including reformed to unreformed!) becomes 250 piety to convert to.
Hence why I said you needed apostate + two character modifiers. For example, try apostate + cynical + malleable invaders (norse), and check the costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that sounds dumb as heck, I stand by my opinion.