Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Typical Pubbie posted:

The cops would want to check if they had hit any kids because they had to open fire on a gunman inside a room full of kids. Maybe they're lying but it's not an incriminating statement.

Why say so instead of "this is an ongoing investigation"?

Not directed at you particularly, but since cops have proven themselves to murder citizens without impunity, get away with rape of suspects, not save people or have any culpability or requirement to provide safety for citizens--something they have gone to the Supreme Court to protect--maybe we don't give them a benefit of the doubt.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

The cops would want to check if they had hit any kids because they had to open fire on a gunman inside a room full of kids. Maybe they're lying but it's not an incriminating statement.

Again, who cares? Why defend them? It’s easier and better to believe they are lying. Otherwise you are wasting parts of your brain/energy to defend state sponsored violence. Truth does not matter here when it comes to negative statements about the police.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm no forensic expert so I might totally wrong about this but isn't it a bit early to say so matter of factly that no policemen's bullets hit these kids? Like I don't know how fast autopsies can be done but it's barely been 48 hours since the shooting so I would think that with the amount of victims that autopsies would still be taking place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regardless of how much of a clusterfuck this was, and how much the cops are covering their asses for loving up, you just know that the only response from anyone with actual power is going to be "we need to give these cops more money."

:sigh:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Again, who cares? Why defend them? It’s easier and better to believe they are lying. Otherwise you are wasting parts of your brain/energy to defend state sponsored violence. Truth does not matter here when it comes to negative statements about the police.

I don't see the point of lying about the cops. Unless the story changes again it looks like the shooter just walked into the class and started shooting without anyone being there to stop him. The cops could have breached the room 5 minutes later and those kids would still be dead. Maybe the cops loving up will shake the public's faith in them which is good, but that doesn't address the underlying cause. It's beyond depressing to live in a society where cops doing a Rainbow Six breach and clear on a classroom in under 10 minutes is an actual legitimate standard that exists.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

Ray Liotta died at age 67

Is that a current event?

If this was the biggest news of the day it would make me much happier.

Not meaning that we need to sacrifice celebs Lottery-style, but you know what I mean.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Apparently the police took so long to enter the building because there was a gunman inside and they were worried they might be shot.

https://twitter.com/JREakin/status/1529979115709034496

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Sean posted:

People who are in power pre-emptively explain that they didn't do a thing before being accused of a thing? And this also holds for normal people?

That's not what happened though. You're making things up. A reporter literally asked if the kids were caught up in gunfire or if all the children were shot by the gunman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcSr6DU83yk time is 36:17 and you need to crank the volume to hear the question.

I'd like you to take a moment to consider how reliable your opinions are on anything if you don't even take a moment to learn what was actually being said.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

The cops could have breached the room 5 minutes later and those kids would still be dead

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1529901022918889485

There's at least one kid who might not have been

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't see the point of lying about the cops. Unless the story changes again it looks like the shooter just walked into the class and started shooting without anyone being there to stop him. The cops could have breached the room 5 minutes later and those kids would still be dead. Maybe the cops loving up will shake the public's faith in them which is good, but that doesn't address the underlying cause. It's beyond depressing to live in a society where cops doing a Rainbow Six breach and clear on a classroom in under 10 minutes is an actual legitimate standard that exists.

You are utterly wrong. Getting in under 10 minutes may well have saved the lives of several people. It has now been reported he shot outside the school and stayed outside in his crashed truck for 12 minutes before hand and shot at 2 people going in.

The cops have been wrong or lied about multiple facts in less than 48 hours and have 0 credibility.

Much like you.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wasn't the whole point of outfitting cops with AR15s and MRAPS because criminals are so well armed these days? I mean I know that's not the real reason, but I'm sure it was the "official" reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Typical Pubbie posted:

....no this isn't how bleeding out works, which they waiting 40+ minutes to breach the room, effectively ensuring that there'd be little to no survivors. Critical care for gunshot wounds has to happen fast.

And combined with the cops now saying they refused to engage because "They were afraid of being shot" basically counters the idea that the cops couldn't save anyone. They could have done something. Instead they did nothing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If true, accept, and when you’re on camera with the governor shout that they need stronger laws until they drag you away

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

If true, accept, and when you’re on camera with the governor shout that they need stronger laws until they drag you away

Yeah I'm gonna take the L and say the account is likely trash.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's not what happened though. You're making things up. A reporter literally asked if the kids were caught up in gunfire or if all the children were shot by the gunman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcSr6DU83yk time is 36:17 and you need to crank the volume to hear the question.

I'd like you to take a moment to consider how reliable your opinions are on anything if you don't even take a moment to learn what was actually being said.

What you quoted, a quote from police, said "believe." Beliefs are not facts.

If you're going to lecture me on how "reliable opinions are" then don't source "beliefs" to back up your rhetoric

Pretty loving simple logic to that.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I don't think Gregg Abbott would do such a thing, nor would any of the people that surround him. Say what you will, I don't agree with all of his politics, hell most of his politics, but he's a fine family man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Calibanibal posted:

I don't think Gregg Abbott would do such a thing, nor would any of the people that surround him. Say what you will, I don't agree with all of his politics, hell most of his politics, but he's a fine family man.

He's a member of the GOP. Fine family man, indeed.

He's a hatemongering racist and bigot

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 27, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I'm gonna take the L and say the account is likely trash.

The casual public threat against their lives makes it seem pretty fake, although I guess I don't know how republicans behave when they have total control of a place.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Fine family man, the same Abbott having trans children forcibly removed from their families? I'll say what I will, the man is a sack of dog poo poo with no redeeming traits.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

All resistance that is fighting uphill for more rights of any kind results in fatalities. The labor wars were a brutal grind from not long after the civil war ended to WW2 starting. Many died and were maimed to earn the rights we are losing right now. It was not a direct path either. A lot of you should know this.

God almighty the extent of "people might get hurt so why try to do anything" on this particular thread is repulsive. What's the point of believing in anything if there is nothing in your life that would compel you defend firmly held rights with force and anger.

I can't tell what any of y'all have done so I can't really judge but I get a real heavy stink of "I've only ever donated money or done nothing" from some of y'all and it's really irritating.

Also when it comes to guns vs. the gov't if one 18 year old with an AR can freeze an entire county and federal districts worth of law enforcement while a moral nightmare states them in the face with people and cameras everywhere maybe small arms are actually influential at some scales. Protests left and right wing tend to not have cops nearby when the protest is open carry. Weird how that is.

Guns are far from the main issues staring us in the face and nowadays the conversation only exists to fundraise. DNC wants money and to disarm as many people likely to actually hurt them or their patrons and the RNC wants as many of their drooling syncophants yahoos to be armed as possible when overstretched police departments begin large scale deputization of overtly fascist districts. The gun argument is going nowhere. Dehumanize yourself, learn first aid and how to shoot. Then do more productive poo poo with your life and try to get by once you concrete those skills.

Also yeah it's fellow citizens that are more likely to murder folks than cops in the near term of things going tits up so yeah it's not wasted energy. Some folks are more fearful of certain types of randos and it's telling nearly 100% of my trans friends have learned to shoot or gotten back to shooting in the last two years. Fear is real and ya know what a little preparedness placebo helps some of us cope.

Any law that involves taking rights away will just be weaponized against undesirables. Cops still are the force that enforces the law. It should be obvious what powers they obey.

I'm sick of this loving argument. It never goes anywhere.

Why are we probing people for making a completely verifiable observation, just because that observation makes people uncomfortable? He wasn't advocating for mass shootings.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Sean posted:

What you quoted, a quote from police, said "believe." Beliefs are not facts.

If you're going to lecture me on how "reliable opinions are" then don't source "beliefs" to back up your rhetoric

Pretty loving simple logic to that.

You don't even know what you're arguing about. I didn't quote the police. I quoted the reporter, which provided a fact which refuted your lie ("People who are in power pre-emptively explain that they didn't do a thing before being accused of a thing?")

This is extremely relevant to my point that no, denying having done something doesn't mean you did it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/JeremyStahl/status/1529894416751919104

in case you were confused by the wording, the children of the cops did not die, they simply are unable to return home to them tonight because they are investigating a mass murder of children.

pigs ALWAYS have to make everything about them

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyStahl/status/1529894416751919104

in case you were confused by the wording, the children of the cops did not die, they simply are unable to return home to them tonight because they are investigating a mass murder of children.

pigs ALWAYS have to make everything about them

For once I'm seeing conservative MAGA types equally disgusted with the cops in this case. I'm sure in the next few days they'll rally around some talking point about the pussification of America and how cops these days are afraid to use deadly force etc. etc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t they throw the pig at Parkland in jail for running and hiding?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

For once I'm seeing conservative MAGA types equally disgusted with the cops in this case. I'm sure in the next few days they'll rally around some talking point about the pussification of America and how cops these days are afraid to use deadly force etc. etc.

They've done this before. They are 100% content to call these cops bad apples then memory hole the entire event.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Fart Amplifier posted:

You don't even know what you're arguing about. I didn't quote the police. I quoted the reporter, which provided a fact which refuted your lie ("People who are in power pre-emptively explain that they didn't do a thing before being accused of a thing?")

This is extremely relevant to my point that no, denying having done something doesn't mean you did it.

What you quoted was this

You can't refute that.

My point was that the police said "belief." You can't refutetm that.

You can't refute anything I wrote

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Sean posted:

What you quoted was this

You can't refute that.

My point was that the police said "belief." You can't refutetm that.

You can't refute anything I wrote

No, I did not quote that. What?

Also, are you dril?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1529920321465327616?s=21&t=lXmLgVCp8IunI6mXS8WI6A

The police are useless. 12 minutes he was shooting outside of the school and nothing happened. It keeps getting worse

I suspect I'm to the right of most of D&D regarding police defunding, but this is just jaw-dropping incompetence. The fact that it's taken several days to get a fuzzy timeline and basic facts like whether or not the police even engaged the shooter before he entered the school looks like desperate rear end-covering.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mischievous Mink posted:

Fine family man, the same Abbott having trans children forcibly removed from their families? I'll say what I will, the man is a sack of dog poo poo with no redeeming traits.

Regardless of what form of excrement Governor Abbot is (and I would have said horse), the guy making the claim makes a bunch of claims on his Twitter account that, if they're all true, this guy has a very usual biography. He's not that reliable a source.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Regardless of what form of excrement Governor Abbot is (and I would have said horse), the guy making the claim makes a bunch of claims on his Twitter account that, if they're all true, this guy has a very usual biography. He's not that reliable a source.

Oh agreed. From what I saw he has a history of nephews being murdered by police in very different parts of the country and it looks extremely questionable. I'm not generally on the side of police and certainly not here, but the evidence is against this particular guy imo. Just whether true or not I would never go so far as to say something positive about Abbott.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Epicurius posted:

excuse me?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I'm just praising your rich gift to farmers everywhere, Fritz.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/status/1530031006064984075?s=20&t=ofLVdhAR-2k9tJP43aLKcA
New information about the Buffalo shooting. What scares me is that we all know that law enforcement agencies are lousy with white nationalists, but even though it is a known fact, we still have calls from even Democratic politicians that the police must be funded and that they deserve our support.

quote:

aw enforcement officers are investigating whether a retired federal agent had about 30 minutes advance notice of a white supremacist's plans to murder Black people at a Buffalo supermarket, two law enforcement officials told The Buffalo News.

Authorities believe the former agent – believed to be from Texas – was one of at least six individuals who regularly communicated with accused gunman Payton Gendron in an online chat room where racist hatred was discussed, the two officials said.

The two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation stated these individuals were invited by Gendron to read about his mass shooting plans and the target location about 30 minutes before Gendron killed 10 people at Tops Markets on Jefferson Avenue on May 14.

The News could not determine if the retired agent accepted the invitation.

“These were like-minded people who used this chat group to talk about their shared interests in racial hatred, replacement theory and hatred of anyone who is Jewish, a person of color or not of European ancestry,” said one of the two law enforcement officials with close knowledge of the investigation. “What is especially upsetting is that these six people received advanced notice of the Buffalo shooting, about 30 minutes before it happened.

“The FBI has verified that none of these people called law enforcement to warn them about the shooting. The FBI database shows no advance tips from anyone that this shooting was about to happen.”

Agents from the FBI are in the process of tracking down and interviewing the six people, including the retired agent, and attempting to determine if any of them should be charged as accomplices, the two sources with close knowledge of the probe told The Buffalo News.

The two sources did not identify the agent by name and could not confirm what federal agency he worked for.

The Buffalo FBI Office declined to comment on the investigation. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Buffalo declined through a spokeswoman to comment.

Buffalo civil rights attorney John V. Elmore said it will be outrageous if it turns out that a former law enforcement officer had advance notice of the shooting and did nothing to prevent it.

“If he had advance notice, he had a moral obligation to get on the phone and try to notify someone about it,” said Elmore, who represents the family of Andre Mackniel, who was shot dead when he went to Tops to buy a birthday cake for his 3-year-old son.

Attorney Terrence M. Connors, who is representing several families who lost loved ones in the shooting, said: “As outrageous as this may sound, based upon what we are finding in our investigation, it is not surprising.” He declined to reveal the evidence his law firm has collected.

The New York Times reported May 17 that Gendron invited a small group of people into a private chat room on the messaging platform Discord to review his plan about 30 minutes before the massacre at Tops. The Washington Post reported two days later that 15 people accepted Gendron's invitation into the Discord chat room and were able to review his plan and watch his live stream video as he committed the killings.

Federal authorities are investigating if the retired agent provided information to Gendron before he went on his shooting spree, the two law enforcement officials told The News.

In addition to law enforcement sources, two other individuals with knowledge of the mass shooting investigation have also confirmed that federal authorities are looking into the former agent’s relationship to the shooter.

The Sandman

FBI agents are also trying to determine the identity of an individual Gendron calls “Sandman,” and “Saint Sandman” in his lengthy social media diary that appeared on Discord 30 minutes before the attack, the sources said.

In the diary, Gendron indicates Sandman counseled him on manufacturers of AR-15 semi-automatic rifles and their quality. The shooter purchased and allegedly used that type of assault rifle in the rampage, which local authorities have said was fueled by his racial hatred.

In the document Gendron posted on Discord just prior to the shooting, he references Sandman three times.

In a passage dated May 2, he quoted Saint Sandman as saying: "When the time finally comes to deal decisively with a whole host of society's problems, and not go to prison for it, you'll know. Just be ready. You have spent your entire life, from the day you were born, right up to this very moment, reading this sentence, coming to where you are right now. Look around you. Are you content with where you are right now? Are you where you want to be? If so, continue to march. If not, what are you going to do? What's your plan? Get and keep your mind, body, and spirit right. Pray. Lift. Run. Read. Shoot. And teach your kids to do those things.”

A third law enforcement source told The News they are aware of Gendron’s writings involving the quality of different rifles. The shooter ended up using a Bushmaster X-15, a version of the AR-15 rifle, police have reported.

Staff reporter Caitlin Dewey contributed to this report.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Epicurius posted:

The excrement of ruminants is far, far more useful than anything a Republican governor has ever provided in this country

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've come across a mathematically perfect picture of a rat, who wants an 18 hour probe with it as the reason? First come first serve

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I've come across a mathematically perfect picture of a rat, who wants an 18 hour probe with it as the reason? First come first serve

In

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I also want ratte

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I also want ratte

Many want many things. Speak to me a word of power and I shall use it to divine an image to catjail you with. Beware though that depending on the power levels of said image it may vary between 6 and 24 hours

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Many want many things. Speak to me a word of power and I shall use it to divine an image to catjail you with. Beware though that depending on the power levels of said image it may vary between 6 and 24 hours

Russell Wilson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Could use a mental break.

Power Word: Rat me

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 27, 2022