Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I mean, Daredevil doesn't drive a fancy car, because, you know...

"Man Without Fear" my rear end :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Skwirl posted:

I mean, Daredevil doesn't drive a fancy car, because, you know...

Excuse me?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
We did get a couple of Batman/Daredevil crossovers, at least. They aren't bad, really. I kind of like the one with Two-Face because Murdock and Dent went to law school together.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heavy Metal posted:

Gotta love toku. I know people enjoyed the nutty Godzilla Marvel comic back in the day. Speaking of licensed stuff, other than Star Wars (also Disney), I wonder if they'll do any unexpected great licensed runs at Marvel again. Though IDW seems to have the niche of licensed stuff mainly covered.

The Warhammer minis have been really solid. It's a shame Marvel hasn't made them much of a priority. I really hope they do some ongoing series and some non-Imperium stuff. Lelith Hesperax and Lucius the Eternal were made to star in comic books!

It's also a bit odd that they haven't done an Age of Sigmar comic yet.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Joe Fisto posted:

Excuse me?

even better than Daredevil driving a car...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Joe Fisto posted:

Excuse me?

This came to Mark Waid in a dream, and he woke up understanding how DD could use his radar senses to drive.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If a Tesla can drive so can Daredevil. Just don't circle him in salt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was also the time he drove a truck into Ultron.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

If a Tesla can drive
Well,

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

I always thought of Daredevil as the Batman of Marvel. With them both having Frank Miller redefining runs in the 80s, very hard boiled noir influenced avengers since then. And that particular style of noble gravitas, peas in a pod those guys.

In fact apparently his editor would often tell Miller "this is a Batman thing not a Daredevil thing."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Related to the Hulk discussion a few pages back, I've been using Unlimited to dip back into various bits of Hulk history and I think I'm a Hulk guy now.

I read basically all of Tales of Suspense (which had the side effect of exposing me to a lot of Namor, who rules) but felt myself burning out on the stories which were fairly one note, especially once they lost the bonkers "we have no idea what we're doing with this character" energy of the first few issues. I've instead jumped forward to Peter David's run which I've really enjoyed alongside dips into more contained stories like Planet Hulk and Future Imperfect / Maestro.

I would kind of like to join up the dots between issues 100 and 330 but it's a lot of comics and all of the write ups about the history of the character kind of skip over that period - it usually goes original run, hey did you know this was the first appearance of Wolverine, Peter David - which makes me think it might be pretty thin on good issues. On the other hand part of my delving into Hulk's past was a desire to find out more about how characters like Doc Samson and Sasquatch were introduced so I feel like I'm going to do it one way or another. Anyone feel like this is a terrible idea?

Oh and here's a Todd McFarlane panel that made me giggle at Leader's seven foot long legs and teeny pointy feet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You really need to read Defenders if you're doing a deep Hulk dive.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah that might be where I look next.

This issue (345) rules by the way, Leader spends the whole issue in that chair ticking items off a to do list and right after he reassures his henchmen that they won't be caught in the bomb he's set for Banner he ticks off "lie to henchmen". It ends on a huge cliffhanger as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Party Boat posted:

Related to the Hulk discussion a few pages back, I've been using Unlimited to dip back into various bits of Hulk history and I think I'm a Hulk guy now.

I read basically all of Tales of Suspense (which had the side effect of exposing me to a lot of Namor, who rules) but felt myself burning out on the stories which were fairly one note, especially once they lost the bonkers "we have no idea what we're doing with this character" energy of the first few issues. I've instead jumped forward to Peter David's run which I've really enjoyed alongside dips into more contained stories like Planet Hulk and Future Imperfect / Maestro.

I would kind of like to join up the dots between issues 100 and 330 but it's a lot of comics and all of the write ups about the history of the character kind of skip over that period - it usually goes original run, hey did you know this was the first appearance of Wolverine, Peter David - which makes me think it might be pretty thin on good issues. On the other hand part of my delving into Hulk's past was a desire to find out more about how characters like Doc Samson and Sasquatch were introduced so I feel like I'm going to do it one way or another. Anyone feel like this is a terrible idea?

Oh and here's a Todd McFarlane panel that made me giggle at Leader's seven foot long legs and teeny pointy feet

That highlights one of the reasons even though it's such an enormous task I like the whole "read Marvel from the beginning" project I've been doing off and on, since I'm jumping between multiple series in each lump of issues I do it means I don't have to deal with any flaws a given series has in too large of a dosage at once, like if I had had to read the original 6 issue Hulk run(which as my reviews point out is mostly pretty bad after the first issue) in one sitting like if I had done a "Hulk only" thing I probably would have given up then and there

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

That highlights one of the reasons even though it's such an enormous task I like the whole "read Marvel from the beginning" project I've been doing off and on, since I'm jumping between multiple series in each lump of issues I do it means I don't have to deal with any flaws a given series has in too large of a dosage at once, like if I had had to read the original 6 issue Hulk run(which as my reviews point out is mostly pretty bad after the first issue) in one sitting like if I had done a "Hulk only" thing I probably would have given up then and there

I once thought to read all Fantastic Four from the beginning but noped out pretty hard like 5 issues after Kirby left. It wasn't even that the art changed much JRSR is a great artist, but it became very clear very quickly how much writing Kirby was doing on the book also.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Party Boat posted:

I love this version of leader.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

I once thought to read all Fantastic Four from the beginning but noped out pretty hard like 5 issues after Kirby left. It wasn't even that the art changed much JRSR is a great artist, but it became very clear very quickly how much writing Kirby was doing on the book also.

Another example where jumping around books will be helpful

Rick posted:

I love this version of leader.

Lot of nostalgia for that version since its what the 90's cartoon used from my recollection

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Party Boat posted:

One thing I do if I want to get into a character with a lot of backstory is find a wiki page on them and get a quick overview of their history. Then I can just pick out the bits that sound important and/or interesting to actually read and let the wiki fill in the rest.

Like, look up Doc Samson appearances and jump around.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah that seems like a good approach.

I've just got to Joe Fixit in Las Vegas in the Peter David run, it's great.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Party Boat posted:

:allears:

one of my favorite covers and a great run, to boot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm confused, it says that's a Wolverine comic, but clearly shows Patch on the cover. Where's Wolverine?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

I'm confused, it says that's a Wolverine comic, but clearly shows Patch on the cover. Where's Wolverine?

Top left corner

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm like a year late to this news but I only today found out that Zdarsky wrote an encore issue of Spider-man: Life Story, about what Jonah was doing all that time. Am still midway, but so far it's great, of course.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Party Boat posted:

It’s one of my favorite runs but that Jeff Purves art can be a bit…. off at times. His first issue is full of people that look like mannequins and some bizarre faces. He did some awesome action sequences but otherwise it was a real crapshoot. I know it’s “stylized” but even as a kid, seeing that after McFarlane and then seeing Keown right after was jarring.

It was so weird that he came out of animation to do one of marvels biggest characters after NEVER having worked in comics before, did 18 of 19 issues, then NEVER worked in comics again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Apparently there was either a massive gently caress up or ASM #2 is a pretty insane clickbait

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Apparently there was either a massive gently caress up or ASM #2 is a pretty insane clickbait

Spoilers?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

Spoilers?

The cover and the solicits?

None of that poo poo happens or anything even close to it happens in the issue.

Covers and solcits can be misleading but they at least have the characters mentioned appear in them and MJ isn’t in it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like the solicits say are the best couple in comics breaking up?

And that literally is never even brought up. It’s weird

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Why would they mention Batman and Alfred in a Spider-man solicit?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Isn’t Alfred dead.

Can’t break them up if one is dead

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like the solicits say are the best couple in comics breaking up?

And that literally is never even brought up. It’s weird

If you're referring to Pete and MJ that already happened in issue 1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

If you're referring to Pete and MJ that already happened in issue 1.

I know it happened but they haven’t explained why and I just quoted the solicit for issue two which kind of implies it’s gonna be the issue that explains it.

Which not only does it not do that…it doesn’t even do like a bait and switch. It just ignores it.

From what I’ve seen a lot of people online are very confused

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Misleading covers (and solicits) aren't exactly new...in this case, the cover doesn't represent the contents of this specific issue, but seems to reflect their current status.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Misleading covers and solicits aren’t new but they are usually about the issue in a way even if it turns out not exactly in the way it implies.

Which is not the case here, rationalize it how you want I guess.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know it happened but they haven’t explained why and I just quoted the solicit for issue two which kind of implies it’s gonna be the issue that explains it.

Which not only does it not do that…it doesn’t even do like a bait and switch. It just ignores it.

From what I’ve seen a lot of people online are very confused

Many people are saying this

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The “everything is crazy” time jump has to be one of my least favorite tropes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/1531669411467120640?t=BqI5co0yxHaCSxQ58E89Ow&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How long til the NFT drop?