Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it only means good things for mental health stigma, silence your objections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
interested in seeing the exceptions for law enforcement and military

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just make every guns trigger mechanism into a finger guillotine so u can only shoot them a few times and it really better count and you need to bring a cooler with ice probably

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just remembered that the Senate voted to abolish DST earlier this year and decided to check on it and found this really cool quote

"NBC Chicago posted:

House leaders on both sides of the aisle have made it clear they aren't in a rush to act on the legislation, according to a March 21 report from The Hill. Some have cited the Russian invasion of Ukraine, as well as the proposal's need for further review.

if they screw us on maybe the only policy I've ever seen that might actually improve my life, a policy that would be wildly popular with basically everyone except contrarian op-ed columnists, I will spend the rest of my life making sure the democrats get destroyed every year - forever

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

MLSM posted:

The funniest part about republicans losing demographics is that free markets — the very economic model they’ve been jerking off to for decades — are responsible for it

No the funniest thing is it's obvious to apolitical and conservative people that "the great replacement" is synonymous with "demographics are destiny," but leftists/liberals can't admit that simply because it's a phrase that the other side uses, even if it's to describe the same phenomenon, which neatly summarizes how the culture war works.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

I just remembered that the Senate voted to abolish DST earlier this year and decided to check on it and found this really cool quote

if they screw us on maybe the only policy I've ever seen that might actually improve my life, a policy that would be wildly popular with basically everyone except contrarian op-ed columnists, I will spend the rest of my life making sure the democrats get destroyed every year - forever

They don't want to set a precedent that the government can do good things, people might expect them to do other good things after that.

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

as a group they are catholic as all hell

and if anyone thinks that's a good thing, please keep in mind that louisiana and texas are some of the most catholic areas in the country

So is Nicaragua.

Masculine Thrust
Apr 23, 2022

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

the seductive thing about identity politics, and where it differs from class politics, is that people can be allowed to feel empowered by them without threatening capital. capital can let people grapple with their alienation from production in a way that feels meaningful to them but that will ultimately not address that alienation, and thus not challenge capitalist rule. "is M4A going to solve racism, sweaty?" and so on

otoh if you're doing class politics and succeeding then you are actually challenging capital and you are actually addressing material issues. (note: no one is doing this)

More specifically, identity politics is the class politics of the middle class and their upper class patrons. All politics is "class reductionist" we just not allowed to reduce them to working class interests.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Masculine Thrust posted:

More specifically, identity politics is the class politics of the middle class and their upper class patrons. All politics is "class reductionist" we just not allowed to reduce them to working class interests.
that only works if the middle class form an "identity" based around their relation to the means of production, which they largely do not

if you mean they swap identity politics for class politics then I agree but that's also exactly what I was saying in the post you quoted :shrug:

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

that only works if the middle class form an "identity" based around their relation to the means of production, which they largely do not

if you mean they swap identity politics for class politics then I agree but that's also exactly what I was saying in the post you quoted :shrug:

I think a better way of expressing it is that identity politics is a way of creating a form of class structure in professional managerial roles. Assessed as a part of society they are the bourgeoisie but self actualising as part of the cause of the harm perpetrated on the masses causes psychic harm. By producing a structure that gives them a reason to think actually I'm disadvantaged too they can create their own reality where it's some structure that impacts them as much as the homeless person their taxes paid to have chased away by a robot.

Obviously the rich never interact with or be impacted by reality as it is lived by the other 99% of people and that estrangement warps their reasoning to the point that babies starving isn't actually all that bad anyway.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Masculine Thrust posted:

No the funniest thing is it's obvious to apolitical and conservative people that "the great replacement" is synonymous with "demographics are destiny," but leftists/liberals can't admit that simply because it's a phrase that the other side uses, even if it's to describe the same phenomenon, which neatly summarizes how the culture war works.

the main difference is that the great replacement is a sinister conspiracy against the proud white race, while demographic replacement is simply a rational development. similar effects, but definitely different causes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah the people in charge of everything need you: random white dude in dumbfuck, nowhere; to make sure that mysterious not-white saboteurs aren't disproportionately influencing local/national politics

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
everyone who disagrees with me is so dumb

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

sorry, only those who have more intersectional oppression points than me (queer, Latinx) may tell me that my culture is machx and responsible for roe being overturned because the Cheeto man stole the election with Russian help alongside demographics not being destiny in 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Lol

https://twitter.com/PabloReports/st...ingawful.com%2F

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

yas kween

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

excited to vote for various dems at this time.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

bi crimes posted:

sorry, only those who have more intersectional oppression points than me (queer, Latinx) may tell me that my culture is machx and responsible for roe being overturned because the Cheeto man stole the election with Russian help alongside demographics not being destiny in 2016

My culture is macha
*spoons lovely tea into a cup*

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Agean90 posted:

https://twitter.com/politicongress/status/1529561571734827008?t=MFOjgsJ_tGBV7o8MwUxTpA&s=19

sowwy we are all tuckered out from failing to do anything please wait 2 weeks before we address this national tragedy uwu

oh cool, a bill that if passed would just cause people to never seek help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

oh cool, a bill that if passed would just cause people to never seek help.

its really pathetic and funny that every major response to this shooting is to go hey what about these tired old ideas!?? when they wouldn't have affected this shooting in any way whatsoever. background checks, waiting periods, all sorts of stuff that is completely irrelevant to uvalde

meanwhile trump just went 'the guy used bump stocks? they're banned now'

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
165 days to go

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

its really pathetic and funny that every major response to this shooting is to go hey what about these tired old ideas!?? when they wouldn't have affected this shooting in any way whatsoever. background checks, waiting periods, all sorts of stuff that is completely irrelevant to uvalde

meanwhile trump just went 'the guy used bump stocks? they're banned now'

Feel like poo poo, just want him back (on twitter)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's pretty nuts that trump implemented the biggest (only?) federal gun control measure in like 20 years

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Shear Modulus posted:

it's pretty nuts that trump implemented the biggest (only?) federal gun control measure in like 20 years

president bump, er trump

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yes that's the problem neera

https://mobile.twitter.com/neeratan...ingawful.com%2F

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

i had completely forgotten about neera tanden gently caress you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

what a poo poo for brains

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

THS2 posted:

i had completely forgotten about neera tanden gently caress you

this reminded me of the enormous meltdown over neera tanden getting denied another title on her CV

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1529963028052992000

they have guns they are just too chickenshit too use them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That's the first time I've seen a succdem post and thought "oh, they're openly fascist now"

I should remember this moment.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I don't know how giving the police more guns would have changed their response in uvalde from getting shot at for 12 minutes outside then herding the shooter into the school and locking the door behind him.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the initial police report made it sound like they were fighting juggernaut with colossus armor so i can see how neera could be easily beguiled while slack jawed tacticool cops in swat helmets fat waddled over to taze an anguished mom

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The original body armor story was great

We didn't get him because he was wearing body armor! Except catching a bullet or 3 is still gonna knock the wind out of you so what that meant was they missed every shot

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol at Neera trying to steer towards Hillary's failed assault weapons ban

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1529842782214447105?cxt=HHwWgoCzwfX5i7sqAAAA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Better think and pray harder!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

For context, this would make "Dems got destroyed" look like a polite description of what actually occurred

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Heavily armed and highly compensated police who don't do anything is the perfect political compromise situation.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Agean90 posted:

The original body armor story was great

We didn't get him because he was wearing body armor! Except catching a bullet or 3 is still gonna knock the wind out of you so what that meant was they missed every shot

they didn't miss, they hit a few of the kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Republicans are also going to immediately abolish the legislative filibuster once they retake the senate as well