Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i hope so

that's the only game I'm about to break and buy a ps5 for atm

my ps4 pro is fine otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

explosivo posted:

I know and agree that those games have never been about that gameplay but it's lovely to penalize you for not playing the game the way they want you to.

They do that because if they didn't eventually reveal where you are, you could find a hiding spot and literally never be found unless your adversary spent hours combing every inch of the giant levels. And it doesn't matter, because you have your own ways to reveal the invading sniper. There are phones around the levels, and you can call into the enemy HQ, speak german and find out where they've "deployed" the sniper. This will then mark their general location on the map. Each time you call in, it updates the location and gradually gets more accurate.

And even both of these mechanics don't really speed things up too much. I watched some matches last night, and even in cases where 2 players versus 1 adversary basically knew exactly where each other were at all times, they still ended up circling each other around the giant map for an hour. Some levels are so huge and convoluted that you can keep distance between you and the invader indefinitely if you employ even a modicum of stealth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BrianRx posted:

edit: Testicles would be a good name for someone punished in a unique way by the gods in Greek mythology.

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Testikles

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Testikles%27_Nutcracker

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do they throw up some sort of pervert check captcha when you try to buy them outside of glorious Nippon?

Select all squares that contain pantsu

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

PC pirates only pay $40 per game, the scum.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Nothing about that post makes sense.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bamhand posted:

Nothing about that post makes sense.

He's on drugs, man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You're not that kind of sniper in the Sniper Elite games. You're of the shoot and scoot scout variety most of the time. Less assassin, more infiltrator and saboteur. For that role staying in the same spot is death.

As enemy at the gates teaches us, you gotta relocate

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Disposable Scud posted:

Sniper Elite 5 lets you turn invasion stuff off, thankfully.

The invasion mechanic is not super fun imo. Haven’t had time to play the actual campaign but tried the invasions, and it’s quite a bit of wandering around empty maps and then either a very, very short fight or you hear that the person died to AI somewhere across the map. Also has not really involved PvP sniping - running up with the secondary seems way more effective. It just feels a bit shoehorned in.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The invasion mechanic owns imo. As the campaign player it makes a save when the invader appears as well as letting you save while the invasion is ongoing (also autosaves continue) so you will only lose maybe a minute of progress at most. You can rematch from your latest save/checkpoint or just reload and continue with singleplayer.

As the invader its hella fun, it only gets tedious when the player is mostly done with the level so there arent fellow soldiers to help track down the player. When you make the killing blow you get the cool cinematic camera also which makes sniper duels p. rad. Though 90% of my invasion kills have been with SMGs at close range.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pwnstar posted:

As the invader its hella fun, it only gets tedious when the player is mostly done with the level so there arent fellow soldiers to help track down the player. When you make the killing blow you get the cool cinematic camera also which makes sniper duels p. rad. Though 90% of my invasion kills have been with SMGs at close range.

Yeah I think I'd count it as a solid proof of concept for a game mechanic that's still developing across multiple titles, but has a lot of potential. It solves some of the problems with Deathloop's implementation by adding the phones on the map that you can interact with to tag the other player's location, and the ability to booby trap those phones for when the other player uses them adds a really cool Spy VS Spy kind of twist.

Even when it's not done perfectly I really enjoy attempts at implementing the "invasion" mechanic in single-player games, I think all the jankiness surrounding it in the Souls games kind of gets a pass because they were the first to popularize it, but it certainly hasn't been perfected yet and I appreciate seeing devs continue to iterate on it. I do think the bonus XP for having it on in Sniper 5 is a little much though

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonna have to agree that the Sniper Elite invasion mechanic has been kinda poo poo so far on both sides. As the invader, it's mostly a matter of just sort of wandering around in circles until the defender messes up or you just sorta stumble over them. As the defender, the pace of everything just grinds to a halt as pretty much everything about the mechanics discourages you from engaging NPC enemies or going after your objectives while there's an invader around. Last but certainly not least, so far I've seen exactly zero sniper duels resulting from it. The map, third-person perspective, and spotting mechanics tend to push both players into close quarters, and the secondaries are so insanely lethal out to significant ranges that there's really no need to use the rifles.

What the mode really would've benefited from is some sort of shared objective that organically forces both players into conflict or constrains the overall play area. As it is, it just kills the pace and feels awkward and unrewarding.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Pwnstar posted:

The invasion mechanic owns imo. As the campaign player it makes a save when the invader appears as well as letting you save while the invasion is ongoing (also autosaves continue) so you will only lose maybe a minute of progress at most. You can rematch from your latest save/checkpoint or just reload and continue with singleplayer.

So far I’ve enjoyed it more now that I’ve gotten to play the campaign. Getting invaded adds a bit of challenge to the game which I think it kind of needs.

Also have anyone figured out what exactly the kill challenges for unlocking weapons are? I see them referenced but not what they actually are.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

that's the only game I'm about to break and buy a ps5 for atm
It's literally the only game on the PS5 I want to play but, at the same time, really do not want to play on a PS5 without mouse support. So I was essentially never going to play this because I would get too frustrated from the fact it requires precise aiming with a gamepad joystick. No thank you to that but yes thank you to a PC version! Watch them completely gently caress up the mouse smoothing/acceleration/sensitivity somehow and it ends up like Dead Space 1's PC version.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone play the Fabled Lands game yet? Does it contain the long-awaited Books 7-12?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

DaveKap posted:

It's literally the only game on the PS5 I want to play but, at the same time, really do not want to play on a PS5 without mouse support. So I was essentially never going to play this because I would get too frustrated from the fact it requires precise aiming with a gamepad joystick. No thank you to that but yes thank you to a PC version! Watch them completely gently caress up the mouse smoothing/acceleration/sensitivity somehow and it ends up like Dead Space 1's PC version.

As someone who has 50 hours in the game on PS5 the auto aim is very generous and can be even more so. But I do avoid the 2 sniper weapons more Often than not so those would definitely benefit from mouse aim.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone play the Fabled Lands game yet? Does it contain the long-awaited Books 7-12?

According to the forums The full release has books 1,2,4 & 5, with 3,6 & 7 as planned DLC.

They do state that They are working on book 8 as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zathril posted:

According to the forums The full release has books 1,2,4 & 5, with 3,6 & 7 as planned DLC.

They do state that They are working on book 8 as well.

:syoon: Welp, there's something to look forward to! That said, I'll probably wait for 7 and 8 at least; I played the first six to literal pieces, haha!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

tildes posted:

So far I’ve enjoyed it more now that I’ve gotten to play the campaign. Getting invaded adds a bit of challenge to the game which I think it kind of needs.

Also have anyone figured out what exactly the kill challenges for unlocking weapons are? I see them referenced but not what they actually are.

When you look at your Objectives on the map (you have to open the pane, not just hover over the map icon I think) click on "Kill Shitlord" and underneath it will say "Kill with Welrod to unlock MP42" or w/e.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CommissarMega posted:

Despite being really into the books, I'm holding back, as one of the authors went into a full "no way is my friend who literally worked for a Holocaust denying journal and published a neo-Nazi novel somehow a Nazi!" meltdown.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CommissarMega posted:

I’ve never read the books before but there’s only manual saving and only a limited number of slots which is way less elegant compared to what tin man games did with the FF classics and having unlimited book marks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, all the Bioshocks are in this week's Epic giveaway. I never played them at the time because I honestly had a pretty lousy computer when they were popular. I understand Infinite has been panned from a gameplay/narrative perspective, so I am probably giving it a skip, but how are the remasters of 1 & 2 to play in the YOOL 2022?

I am a huge fan of System Shock and nuPrey for what's worth.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The remasters add a little polish to games that were already strong in terms of art design, pretty well done IMO.

They are both real good but don't go in expecting interactivity or mechanics on par with System Shock or Prey. They are well packaged fps games with environmental storytelling, some fun mechanics and a strong narrative that is conveyed through the crappy medium of audio logs.

E: I would say that the audio log format has aged poorly but games are still doing it so eh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bioshock 1 is the only game I have ever played with a story that impressed me.

I seem to recall 2 having better gameplay but weaker in the story department

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not played the remasters but I'm under the impression that they didn't do anything proactively bad, unlike a lot of remaster lemons out there. Bioshock 1 is fully worth playing if you enjoy SS2, but the game's tone shifts rapidly away from 'spooky survival' that it seemed to start with, so just be aware of that and don't be trigger shy after the first few minutes. Bioshock2 is more of the same with a non-story and some QoL improvements, its worthiness is totally dependent on if you enjoyed the first and have a hankering for more. Infinite had neither good gunplay, magic powers, nor story (past the first hour) and so there's not much to see there other than the pretty setting.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What's the deal with Infinite's reception? I never got around to playing it, but I remember there were glowing reviews on release.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Infinite's glowing previews sparked a lot of discussion on its release iirc, I think it was a noteworthy start to the modern trend of laughing at 'games journalism' as anything credible or respectable. But that might just be me projecting!

There certainly was a strong disconnect from what the big sites said and what word of mouth was. Despite B:I having glowing steam reviews, I definitely went into the game 2 years after its release (last played: 2015) with eyes wide open about its flaws.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fruits of the sea posted:

What's the deal with Infinite's reception? I never got around to playing it, but I remember there were glowing reviews on release.

It makes a strong first impression and is fun enough as a game, but the writing/setting/mechanics all fall apart upon closer inspection. At the time I think reviewers were just super impressed by the visuals and enjoyed the frantic arena combat so they gave all the other aspects a big pass. IIRC it wasn't long after release that the backlash started to set in though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
All I remember about Infinite is the back and forth on the Giant bombcast about the story being bad, and the story making complete sense if you just listened to a specific audio log.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The plot of Bioshock Infinite revolves around zero people who worked on it knowing what the word "Infinite" means

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

RBA Starblade posted:

The plot of Bioshock Infinite revolves around zero people who worked on it knowing what the word "Infinite" means

Is the answer 6? Wait, don't answer. It's 6. Has to be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Infinite's main issue was that it had like three separate story threads that it tried to juggle at the same time, and in the end none of them got enough focus to really work. It makes for a strong introduction cause it throws seemingly interesting things at you in rapid succession, but then nothing really lives up to that promise. Plus of course some really ill-advised story moments.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I played Iron Lung after hearing much good about it, and while I liked the conceit and atmosphere and would totally play a longer game around that it's also just one of those maze games that lulls you in and then drops a jump scare at the end. Which, admittedly, is funny.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"game gets great reviews; proves to be poo poo from a butt" could sum up many many games from the last decade.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DaveKap posted:

it does not even remotely require precise aiming

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

People love to dunk on 10 year old games they played once (and probably loved at the time) op

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People dunked on infinite pretty quickly after release. It might be the fastest aging game I’ve ever seen

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People love to dunk on 10 year old games they played once (and probably loved at the time) op

ah yeah that probably explains the majority opinion on it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

People dunked on infinite pretty quickly after release. It might be the fastest aging game I’ve ever seen

Yea I seem to recall a decent number of people doing a bit of a 180º before long.

Steam says I only have 7.4 hours logged, IIRC I gave up just before the final boss? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I played it and enjoyed it and while the ending was silly the story never struck me as particularly bad along the way, but my friends tell me I have a heroic ability to suspend my disbelief and go along with bullshit too