Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, considering the Taiwanese strait is 180km, you can why later systems are such a big concerned for Taipei and the West. China could continually bombard Taiwan without having to sail ship or fly a plane over, and there is no way for a Patriot or other ABM system to handle that type of volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rutibex posted:

trump gave the american people $2000. thats more than any president i can think of in my lifetime

George Bush invaded Iraq, but otoh he bought me an Xbox so on balance…

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, considering the Taiwanese strait is 180km, you can why later systems are such a big concerned for Taipei and the West. China could continually bombard Taiwan without having to sail ship or fly a plane over, and there is no way for a Patriot or other ABM system to handle that type of volume.

I thought the farthest artillery could hit was like 160km

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
rocket artillery has a much longer range since the ammunition is still propelled after it leaves the tube

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

Only because we live in the dark timeline where Gerald Bull was assassinated.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

rocket artillery has a much longer range since the ammunition is still propelled after it leaves the tube

that’s cheating imo. that’s just a rocket

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon

we should have let him do it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

in Blue Remembered Earth there’s a railgun in Kenya that runs up Kilimanjaro that shoots mirrored payloads into orbit using laser assists. that seems cool

in On the Steel Breeze they use it to launch people into space to escape… something I forget but one gets shot down because it threatens to impact one of the super tall towers the ocean civilization has built

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

indigi posted:

that’s cheating imo. that’s just a rocket

cope

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

Yeah, the newest Chinese MRLS systems can go up to 220-360km depending on the configuration, obviously, the rockets are going to have to be a lot larger but at the same time China has easily the ability to mass-produce them.

Also, China has a bunch of SRBM systems like Russia.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark is letting the U.S. drop off some HIMARS on the island of Bornholm for an exercise. We're good boys, yes we are.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The new XM5 rifle apparently weighs 5kg fully loaded and is supposed to replace the in service m16/m4 rifles while being incompatible with the current service round (5.56mm). Someone at SIG won a contract for the history books dang.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Danann posted:

The new XM5 rifle apparently weighs 5kg fully loaded and is supposed to replace the in service m16/m4 rifles while being incompatible with the current service round (5.56mm). Someone at SIG won a contract for the history books dang.

5kg is heavier than the mass of a mosin according to wiki. MBRs are back bb

also, ive read through this whole thread and noone has pointed out that the US & allied militaries have the most decisive weapon - the javelin. its all over commies, go back to quacking in your cope cage!!! its unfortunate they cost more than the tanks tho

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
An AKM with wooden furniture is a pound lighter.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

SAAMI, the organization that standardizes cartridges, recommends that no cartridge goes above 65,000 PSI — even big boys like .338 Lapua Magnum only run about 60k.

So for .277 SIG FURY to be an 80k PSI round… this is very different.

In order to meet those pressures, the case for .277 SIG FURY is a multi-piece construction made from brass and steel.

The case body is made from brass, although thicker brass than is commonly used in cartridges. But the base is made from stainless steel, this is where the magic is.

its f22 - the rifle

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, supposedly it also has a massive kick and it is hard to keep on target, a lot of the weight is just probably a heavy receiver to absorb recoil.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the rounds currently cost $4 a piece as well

someone at SIG is getting a hell of a bonus this year

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Wheeee posted:

so that's what, $0.5 million for each brown people killed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Palladium posted:

so that's what, $0.5 million for each brown people killed

is that too rich for your blood? you gotta spend money to make money.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Wheeee posted:

i tried to find this number with a brief search, that is hilarious. forget the f22, this feels more like a navy fuckup: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a23738/uss-zumwalt-ammo-too-expensive/

peaceniks in the defense industry making war too expensive to bother fighting

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wheeee posted:

What the hell are you doing soldier? That clip had $120 worth of ammo in it! What do you think this is a shooting gallery?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i have to assume the goal is to build some prototypes, make a small production run, and then get the whole thing killed while it was still profitable before anyone really needs it for something

like WW3, shortly.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Wheeee posted:

you can mail order the new fancy ammo for $1.50/round (5.56 is 45 cents)
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/277-fury

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Griz posted:

factor of 3 in pricing seems reasonable compared to a more ubiquitous round. thats still plenty to pick away at the budget

i just found out about their replacement rifle efforts tonight, and this is hilarious. maybe it doesn't look as silly from the militaries point of view? maybe they'll force 6.8 to be as common as 223/556 moving forward. id be willing to guess they'll start finding all the fun corner failure cases with their insane case pressures when they start ramping up volumes and trying to drive costs down :capitalism:

Griz
May 21, 2001

it'll suck and get rejected after a decade of failed trials, just like every other attempt to make a new supergun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
no one is making a better mechanical watch, or a better shovel. I think we already made the best possible guns 80 years ago

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rutibex posted:

no one is making a better mechanical watch, or a better shovel. I think we already made the best possible guns 80 years ago

I’m not a watch guy and a good watch is one that can tell to me but these are really nice looking imo. it’s the most complicated watch of all time and it came out in 2015. I had to write about it in a listicle at the time.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2015/09/ex...plications.html

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Griz posted:

that's the basic all-brass cartridge stuff with considerably lower muzzle energy

the real poo poo is considerably more

actual military ammo isn't available to consumers at this time either so who knows how much that costs; the rifle itself is $8k for civilian purchase right now

Rutibex posted:

mechanical watches have gotten better over time, and there's crazy poo poo like Seiko's spring drive

modern guns are lighter, more reliable, more accurate, have higher capacities, better ballistics, etc

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 09:46 on May 27, 2022

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

give peace expensive war a chance

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Delta-Wye posted:

somebody needs to slap this guy around some more

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

Lol the US military is trying to invent Boltguns

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the us army realized they need a more powerful general use round for their future proxy wars with russia and china where their targets have actual body armor

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Wheeee posted:

the us army realized they need a more powerful general use round for their future proxy wars with russia and china where their targets have actual body armor

I don't think that kind of course correction is going to help in the short or long term.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Delta-Wye posted:

we're at the point where people shoot anti tank missiles at bunkers to kill the one or two guys inside it in every war now

i don't think expense is that much of a hindrance sadly

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
they're gonna drop that new gun because of the weight like the M14 and L85 before it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheeee posted:

the real poo poo is considerably more

I've never heard of ammo casing that has steel, copper and aluminum parts together before

sounds like it'd be insanely expensive to produce

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Filthy Hans posted:

I've never heard of ammo casing that has steel, copper and aluminum parts together before

will those metals react and rust if the ammo gets wet in the field?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

will those metals react and rust if the ammo gets wet in the field?

I’ve never studied chemistry. what happens if you dump vinegar on all that?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Filthy Hans posted:

:thejoke:

The point is to make the price higher so there's more room to skim off the top. American corruption is about making things as expensive as possible so that the correct people can all wet their beaks. Constant this with Russian corruption where lower level people just take poo poo and sell it. Also has a bonus of making sure only the elite class gets to skim and cuts out any rank and file with their mickey mouse pilfering schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

they're gonna drop that new gun because of the weight like the M14 and L85 before it

mmm? The L85 is only used by the British army and is still in service with no plans to replace it. Or is this some other L85?