Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
bat flits, cat sits, rat shits

ey oop postin' pals, nae half measures today

Did some checking on plantings from years gone by- this maple was my first

Lots of murderflies around today, only managed a half decent shot of one though- many were high around the trees much like me lol

First main job was tidy out the caravan a bit, got all the foam cushions out and cleaned and aired out a bit and I disinfected them in sunshine and with the jeyes spray

full disclosure I could have folded and taken these boxes home to be recycled but they smelt like rat and ugh so I turned them into ashes and memory

Lunch was a canned chicken curry (hot) with rice and veg, served alfresco with one of my favourite views

Ah, a nice day out with friends

Well this part you saw before

This is new tho. This is my moisture meter. It's not a phaser. I didn't hunt and destroy a jem hadar strike team among the oaks. For real. For O'Brien!

Under 20% moisture is considered legally good for firewood for sale but I want to hit under 15%, and eventually around 10% for the least environmental impact. This particular wood is going into store anyway for a few more months so will be extra awesome by then

Well that's a wood delivery for my sister split and bagged and awaiting the car being brought in

This little gal was sat on a buttercup and I only noticed when she jumped to the underside- seems they were trying to predate on flies landing for a meal, she didn't care for my presence so I left them alone- would have loved to watch more. google lens says it's a goldenrod crab spider/flower spider

Fruit of all kinds is starting to appear- I'm not planning on netting anything again so the deer and birds will get the bulk because I'm lazy/lack time but that's all part of my nefarious plans

I didn't do before pictures of this part of the caravan and that was because the situation brought me shame and brought dishonour upon my house and also there was ratshit, but now I can take a photo and it even looks like somewhere nice to take a few minutes because you can't see the ratshit on the floor

goddamn, that was close to an honest days work! More! Soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Must be rewarding to see the [actual] fruits of your hard work...

... and the man himself!

:five:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lovely stuff!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

so here's just a teaser as I pack my bags with the relevant and necessary supplies for the next mission and assure you there will most certainly be more, soon

spookygonk posted:

Must be rewarding to see the [actual] fruits of your hard work...

The eating is better :)

spookygonk posted:

... and the man himself!

:five:

will do full naked king of shoreditch recreation for enough of a donation to the tree fund, we can call it chubs for shrubs

Dead Goon posted:

Lovely stuff!

Thanks- the whole place really feels like it's coming together :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm inordinately pleased to see you do in fact bear a resemblance to Desperate Dan

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

I'm inordinately pleased to see you do in fact bear a resemblance to Desperate Dan

I certainly didn't when I picked that handle for here so many years back :)

tired rear end farmer, twenty four hours a day

Yo

I'm down here now, shitpostin' live, and I ain't leaving till I have been here for 24 hours. More? right fuckin soon! :colbert:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

in it for the this live stream

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh hell yeah, it's finally time

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AKZ posted:

in it for the this live stream

Welcome aboard!

Maugrim posted:

Oh hell yeah, it's finally time

A dozen times over by now! I gotta do this more often

I keep pissing off the ducks on the pond by existing

It's fukken nice today

MOD ration pack today, the more modern type in a bag (boo)

Been working on a solar panel frame now I'm all unpacked

Now for some hunters chicken which I'm either gonna love or hate cause that's how anything marked "BBQ" goes with me

More. Soon.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

MOD ration pack today, the more modern type in a bag (boo)
Where do you get these rations from? Army surplus stores? Ebay (there's quite a lot on ebay)?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

Where do you get these rations from? Army surplus stores? Ebay (there's quite a lot on ebay)?

It was an army surplus place for that one- they seem to get sold off in batches, so if you see a lot now it probably means the MOD sold off a bunch recently

that two stroke stench

It was alright- not really BBQ more of just a mild smoky flavour

Office shot

Assembled and fueled up to sit in the sun before a test run- it was left outside under a tarp at home all winter and I figure it's better off down here instead- if it works

Forgot the bolts I wanted to mount the panel with, debated going to buy some before just bodging it all together with scrapwood

caravan still points south- alternatively the south faces caravan

I was too low on wood and screws for a professional job here, most important is it's angled properly and secure

Coughed into life on the third pull, little rough at first but after a few minutes idle it settled down a bit- seems a bit late in the day to cut much now though

Unfortunately the screw shortage means I can't add a bit to the shelter roof, but it can wait. Currently catching my breath before I assemble my bedding, take a constitutional and then see what's for tea- more soon!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm not sure it counts as a constitutional when you've been working outdoors all day already. Beating the bounds maybe, if you want to feel like a landowner guillotine fodder

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

I'm not sure it counts as a constitutional when you've been working outdoors all day already. Beating the bounds maybe, if you want to feel like a landowner guillotine fodder

I did take a real good quality piss on my favourite cherry tree

Also I can't walk the bounds cause there's spiky plants there

bats are over the pond

Bed raised and everything packed away for the night

It's pretty drat good with a little extra salt, could have just called it chile con carne tho

Decided to put together the bits for a fire even if I didn't need it, but once the sun was behind the trees the temp dropped and I was quickly glad of my prepwork

Imgur is being a poo poo and images aren't uploading right, more soon hopefully

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

and now with images

Really liked having a fire around, stayed up awhile listening to the nightcrew and watching the flames

as mentioned the "beef burrito" was a chile con carne and it was pretty tasty after a little salt- had a nice level of spice to it

Watched the fire turn to embers as I drifted off, 10/10 would snuggle again

Had a pretty drat good night's sleep- sleeping bag was a little too warm at points but that's easier to sort than being cold- I'm sitting with a coffee, thinking about breakfast and which jobs I will take on before I leave- more soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 14, 2022

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Man it's been a long time since I was camping. Sounds like you've got your setup nearly perfect now. That fire...place? looks fancy.

Guess it's too early in the season to be getting eaten alive, which has to be a bonus

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

Man it's been a long time since I was camping. Sounds like you've got your setup nearly perfect now. That fire...place? looks fancy.

I wanted to call it a firepit but the missus pointed out it's not actually in a pit

I'm fairly happy with the setup but there's a fair bit of refinement to do- another logwall to cut the northern wind for a start

Maugrim posted:

Guess it's too early in the season to be getting eaten alive, which has to be a bonus

Oh there's a fair few mosquitos about but I only got tagged once or twice before I put on the gently caress you strength DEET and then they hosed off

porrage/porridge

I'm not seeing a gusset on this pouch, vestey foods limited

Not seeing a loving fill line on't inside either am I? You think I'm gonna walk 't loving caravan to find a measuring jug?

Tastes how it looks. I'm a regular porrage eating beast at home, and this saddens me. I ate it tho.

Gonna try and sort the solar charge controller out- if I have the right parts. More, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the finale

took a walk round to make sure no one else was taking a constitutional

aye no wonder the solar panels aren't doing great, fuckin state of that connection

I didn't have all the parts I needed to be finished (proper connections for the battery terminals) but the lovely cheap charge controller is now in place and working and I have high expectations of it

Gotta rest before you get tired

Fairly sure these are fresh oak gauls/galls- I don't think I have seen them quite this new and squishy looking

No place I would rather be

And I would have rather stayed right here. More, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the hateful eight

still haven't seen that film, had it pirated for ages but I have such a backlog of poo poo to watch cues up the wire for yet another binge

These and the mora are my friends today

Took out over a dozen oak saplings first

Rescued 8 of the 10 most heavily overgrown fruit bush emplacements- 7 out of those 8 healthy, 1 kiwi presumed dead but being monitored. Had hoped to get more done, but started feeling pretty beat up and the sun was at zenith so bailed out before stupidity got a chance to have a say

Buzzards were real active today-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPvMkqtQDfg

Until the crows came and bullied them away and I uploaded it somewhere that doesn't suck! well... quite as much!

Took over a dozen bee shots and had poo poo luck with all of them, best was this blurry boi

Now that's a fightin' voltage

Well that was that and hopefully next time goes better and we clear up some more emplacements, sort the battery terminals and have some conversations with birds. More. Soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I finally got my non shitpostin' twitter account automated to throw out some pictures so if you want some nature pics on your twitter feed twice daily then please follow and share it around

https://twitter.com/TheFiveAcres

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

You take a very nice photo, Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Dead Goon posted:

You take a very nice photo, Dan.

thanks pal, my secret is shooting lots, re-positioning a bit, refocusing and shooting more then repeating so I have lots of chances at everything lining up just right- if I post a dozen images on here I might have shot 40 or 50+ that were crap

camera is loving sweet on the pixel phones too

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bees and the buttercups

Been getting my arse utterly kicked, but figured if I was nearby anyway I could scrape enough energy for an hour or so

Ducks!

Decided to test the battery a bit by using it to charge a usb connected 18650- voltage dropped a lot which may mean the battery got more damaged than I thought, or it might need a better connection as the current clamps and cabling are shoddy- I also want to gently caress with the voltage cutoff settings a bit on both my box and the charge controller but that's for another time

buttercups doing a lot of trade today

I didn't know bumble bees hosed but that's apparently what they are doing on one of my raspberry canes here

Fruit doing good

Even as it gets snacked on

So there weren't 2 bush emplacements lost in here, but 4 (I think, if there's yet another row lost in there then lol)

1 survivor, a kiwi- I don't think it's to blame for the losses, but the plastic fencing on these went incredibly brittle and lovely in comparison with the others (some that are 2 years older and got a lot more UV feel fine) and I burnt a lot of my time picking bits out of the bramble

Dealt with a few dozen more saplings, mainly oaks and mainly on the edge of this hedgerow that now has our new apple tree as pride of place rather than being lost in the oaks

Well that was a little more than I thought I could do today done, so hurrah and hurray! More! Soon!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Even educated fleas do it, Dan :D

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dan's got an actual mf duck pond.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Dead Goon posted:

Even educated fleas do it, Dan :D

I thought it worked like mermaids for those buzzy little bastards not gonna lie

spookygonk posted:

Dan's got an actual mf duck pond.

Not just that, but some nice looking pond plants have re-emerged- either from dormant seeds or dropped ones- still need to source and import some more but first I want to get an idea of what happens with the water levels in summer now that treeline is a lot less restrictive

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

https://twitter.com/TheFiveAcres/status/1528826851203985414?t=i5cR03foyZppig1Y8U83AA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheFiveAcres/status/1528796652273664000?t=67KLN-7SKlG1o-mq-1w1Gw&s=19

been working on the trailcam footage, two episodes qued up on yootoob for tomorrow if the uploads work, but I threw a few shorts on the twitter account just in case and there's others there like a jumpy badger

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

there's others there like a jumpy badger

Magpies are hilarious. I first ran across them in SD Black Hills and remembered thinking "that bird sounds like a malfunctioning modem."

Any badger content A+ too, love those flat critters.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AKZ posted:

Magpies are hilarious. I first ran across them in SD Black Hills and remembered thinking "that bird sounds like a malfunctioning modem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt186G8m7xM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMSXrk7ZpI

There is both excellent badger and magpie action as well as buzzard, green woodpecker and kitties and much much more

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bojack horseman is pretty good but goddamn the gut punches ooof

Life

And death.

The squirrel remains were being pecked over by magpies, then this crow swooped down, picked up the whole thing and dragged it away from them like it didn't even weigh a gram

I know it probably doesn't look like much but I love how this bit of hedgerow is coming along- there's a bunch of stuff I planted in here and the diversity is really high and everything is doin' good

That dead tree that was dead and fell over didn't get the message about being dead and various bits of it are alive, guess I gotta locate and destroy the brain

Battery seemed a bit happier but that's real subjective cause we have very limited data and that's mostly based on my gut feel so we will have to wait and see- there's also some prominent branches that block a fair bit of light and face removal with extreme prejudice care and love

Fruit is still coming along nice

Had a look at a few places I want to put pathways- this bramble is about 2.5 metres at peak

Objectives met

I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a week (hence the car is getting the nice treatment), then we can get back to things with the yearly state of the acres address which is late, so there will be more, soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 26, 2022

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AKZ posted:

I think you've seen Lapwings, did it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt83JPcWcHg

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

AceClown posted:

I think you've seen Lapwings, did it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt83JPcWcHg

Nah definitely magpies. We could see the pair hanging out a bit from our camp site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxovFbvolkI&t=50s

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AKZ posted:

Nah definitely magpies. We could see the pair hanging out a bit from our camp site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxovFbvolkI&t=50s

ahh apologies, I was assuming UK magpies (ours don't make that noise)

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

There is both excellent badger and magpie action as well as buzzard, green woodpecker and kitties and much much more

Ah, oh yea you would have European badgers given where you're at. Awesome trail videos.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AKZ posted:

Ah, oh yea you would have European badgers given where you're at. Awesome trail videos.

Generally on UK magpie sounds- the vast majority is rather harsh and aggressive calls or a little move i call the chak, which is a sound like "chak" (see I'm so drat smart) and they kinda puff the wings out a bit at the same time. However, they do have a really quiet but far more dulcet/calm tone they use with each other up close, just sometimes

lowestoft revisited

Good place to be if you don't want to do much

:colbert: :hai: :hmmyes:

Bit of an invasion of these brown tail moth caterpillars and also a lot of societal decay, unhinged street preachers and vape shops like any seaside town in the uk, but I'm sticking to nature this time round

Bonus dog

A few good books down and a lot of fine food eaten, and I'm ready to strap my boots and knife back on again- more, soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 2, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

A few good books down and a lot of fine food eaten, and I'm ready to strap my boots and knife back on again- more, soon!
That looks good down time.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

good book, too!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

That looks good down time.

It was just what I needed :)

AKZ posted:

good book, too!

Its loving formidable, unlike anything else I have read

well this trip was easy, easy like

hello there

Lots of rain over the last day or so, everything was very wet

My legs got soaked pretty good, which soaked the top of my socks, which wicked down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjZfpOBc6M

Here's a video of the walk in from the edge of the acres- need to do it again on a better day and with the camera on 4K but gently caress it posting it anyway

The bench has stayed dry, still going to extend the rain edge bit thing where the rain falls off the edge of the roof thing to be sure though

So I thought it might be wind that hosed this tarp up over this wood cage

fuckin foxes again I think

After gaining experience on my previous batches of firelighters (I made them too big, cottonwool burns good but smells unpleasant, pouring wax is messy and wasteful), I made some new ones to test out, specifically made to be easy to make and fit the tinderbox nicely

Had hoped for five minutes of flame (plenty of time to get some kindling going with it), got just under 14- will make them about half that height on the next batch and fit a double stack in

Cut a big branch out of the way of the solar panel/onion station

Just a quick trip today, next up we shall have the yearly state of the acres address and general update, there will be more, soon.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 5, 2022

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Four Years, Five Acres

Its been a long and tough year, but productive, and the whole place feels ready for the next stage- as do I.

The next part I have frankly avoided thinking much about due to the circumstances behind it- the efforts on the acres have previously been a really low budget high effort affair due to my own low incomes and many expenditures. To put things plain, my dad is dying of cancer, and one day in the near future I will inherit a sum that could/should/can/will significantly change things over on the acres. I would rather this wasn't the case given the circumstances but it is what it is, he wants me to follow my dreams with it, and I have every intention of doing him proud.

My aims for the next year are to improve access, equipment and infrastructure and to get me down on the acres with greater frequency and duration. There's a lot of things to consider carefully- I have a lot of study ahead, many diplomatic and legal questions to be solved, but the goal is a smallholding farm where I will live and raise chickens and pet cattes and grow vegetables badly for the rest of my days. That goal always felt like a pipedream, but now it's drifting into a bittersweet reality. The next year is to let me develop the plan that will carry things for the next five years after that- it won't go to plan of course, but the process will prove invaluable as always.

And I'm gonna do a lot of shitposting about it, and I hope you, dear and constant reader, are around to see it.

MORE. SOON.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sorry about your dad. :(

Looking forward to great things for the Acres. You definitely seem to have the mindset and skillset for successful smallholding!