Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nah, it's sound to care enough to ask, and if you don't speak Irish there's literally no way to guess how a thing is gonna sound. Plus there's a whole different bunch of dialects so everyone is simultaneously wrong and offended by each other's pronunciation, it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah, it's sound to care enough to ask, and if you don't speak Irish there's literally no way to guess how a thing is gonna sound. Plus there's a whole different bunch of dialects so everyone is simultaneously wrong and offended by each other's pronunciation, it's fun

That's the spirit I intended to ask and I'm glad it came across that way but even so, I was having a dig at others for not being respectful while inventing some new mispronunciation myself, which is not a good look.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

This has also been my experience of the UK tbf. Scone.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My English partner thinks it's hilarious that I pronounce suede to rhyme with head.

I know its wrong but I'm going to keep doing it anyway dammit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Start pronouncing suit, suite, suet, suede, sweat, and swede the same way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Scone rhymes with done, prove me wrong.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lungboy posted:

AIUI, CBBC and BBC4 are going online only rather than getting fully axed.

gently caress youuuuu, DUP.

This is just going to result in every road sign in the land being replaced so it has English, Irish, Ulster Scots on it.
And you will be able to tell what kind of neighbourhood you are entering by the Irish/Ulster Scots not crossed out by graffiti.

Failed Imagineer posted:

We had Irish teachers that pronounced the same words differently so yeah.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It still breaks my brain some of the ways my american wife pronounces things. Like soldering iron as sawdering iron.

Pronunciation is fun and awesome and I kinda love all the differences.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mebh posted:

It still breaks my brain some of the ways my american wife pronounces things. Like soldering iron as sawdering iron.

Nothing is worse than the American way of saying niche

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

Sawdering or soddering isn't universal among americans even, some of them say soldering.

I say lödning.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mebh posted:

If anyone here is unfamiliar with the hilarity that is the magnificent ancient language of “Ulster Scots” I urge you to Google some examples

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nothing is worse than the American way

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Pablo Bluth posted:

Plus his legacy was abused by his sister and the Nazis after he died

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ah yes but have you considered "clique" :fuckoff:

The worst part is thanks to American missus I now have a combination US and Irish accent+vocab, the most cursed of all possibilities

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

Plus his legacy was abused by his sister and the Nazis after he died
Instead of killing babby hitler I'd go back in time and give Nietzsche some LSD for his migraines.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No one ever considers whether Baby Hitler would in fact be too powerful to kill

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah yes but have you considered "clique" :fuckoff:

The worst part is thanks to American missus I now have a combination US and Irish accent+vocab, the most cursed of all possibilities

Buoys are buoyant because they have buoyancy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I pronounce all 3 the same, I know many don't but they're wrong

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

boyo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pablo Bluth posted:

counterpoint, an American trying to say "twat"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Scikar posted:

So, serious question: "shin fane" is obviously the English approximation and a lot of people saying it that way have no interest in or respect for the pronunciation in Irish. But for people who do, shouldn't it be more like "shin fayun"?

At some point there's a line between Irish English accent (which is weird for an English person to copy) and Irish Gaelic vowel sounds (which as a separate language we would normally at least make some effort, e.g. "En Marche", "Die Linke") and I honestly don't know where that line is here.

:actually: It's pronounced "keen-wah".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Isn't "shin fayun" best standard English transliteration of how Gerry Adams says it? (Though his 'shin' would be half way between shin and shun). I can definitely 'hear' it in his voice.
Did look on YouTube for a few seconds to see if I could get one with him saying it but couldnt be arsed to keep looking.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

counterpoint, an American trying to say "twat"

I can accept that different accents have different pronunciations of the same word, "twat" and "swat" rhyming sounds awful to my ears, but whatever, I can deal. Rhyming Glasgow with cow, on the other hand, is a bridge too loving far, but I'm always pleasantly surprised to hear it pronounced correctly.

Side note, I am campaigning to label the act of updating your bio to include (she/her) or (they/them) or similar "pronounciation".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reveilled posted:

I am campaigning to label the act of updating your bio to include (she/her) or (they/them) or similar "pronounciation".

Actions speak louder than words. What are your proverbs?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

Actions speak louder than words. What are your proverbs?

They're coming right up, after these adverbs!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

Try living in the Highlands where half the places are impenetrable to a native English speaker. loving bh and dh melt my tiny brain. For example, Bhatarsaigh is the Gaelic for an island in the Outer Hebridies. How do you think you'd pronounce that?

(If you know, don't spoil it for the Sassenachs)

And yes, Glascow is a war crime

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Behold:

https://twitter.com/_goldengod69/status/1529873504673447938

From here: https://stiffupperquip.substack.com/p/reflections-on-being-called-bald

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't "shin fayun" best standard English transliteration of how Gerry Adams says it? (Though his 'shin' would be half way between shin and shun). I can definitely 'hear' it in his voice.
Did look on YouTube for a few seconds to see if I could get one with him saying it but couldnt be arsed to keep looking.

Here you go…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UhXivPyw4

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think many of those commentariats could benefit from finasteride even if they're not balding in the material sense.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

forkboy84 posted:

Try living in the Highlands where half the places are impenetrable to a native English speaker. loving bh and dh melt my tiny brain. For example, Bhatarsaigh is the Gaelic for an island in the Outer Hebridies. How do you think you'd pronounce that?

(If you know, don't spoil it for the Sassenachs)

And yes, Glascow is a war crime

My favourite is watching anyone who doesn't already know pronounce "Milngavie".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

LOL

I do remember the days when BBC weren't allowed to let him use his own voice and used voice-over actors instead.
I think GA said it made him sound much better than his own speaking voice.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

They pronounce it the same way they pronounce Nietzsche, which they also pronounce wrong

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Mankind does not strive for happiness; only the English do" may have been the wrongest thing that Nietzsche said.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LOL

I do remember the days when BBC weren't allowed to let him use his own voice and used voice-over actors instead.

It was probably not knowing how he sounded like ended up how my uncle in law was once mistaken for Gerry Adams at an IRA funeral.
He sorta looked like Gerry back then if you squinted.
He was getting random handshakes from all around, and didn't twig until it was too late. He got the gently caress out of there quick.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LOL

What was the actual logic behind that. Did they think he had some kind of neurolinguistic superpowers?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What was the actual logic behind that. Did they think he had some kind of neurolinguistic superpowers?

On 19 October 1988, the Home Secretary, Douglas Hurd, issued a notice under clause 13(4) of the BBC Licence and Agreement to the BBC and under section 29(3) of the Broadcasting Act 1981 to the Independent Broadcasting Authority prohibiting the broadcast of direct statements by representatives or supporters of eleven Irish political and military organisations.[7][8] The ban prevented the UK news media from broadcasting the voices, though not the words, of ten Irish republican and Ulster loyalist paramilitary groups, as well as Sinn Féin.[2][4] Among the other groups affected were the Provisional IRA, Irish National Liberation Army, Ulster Defence Association and the Ulster Volunteer Force, although the ban was targeted primarily at Sinn Féin.[2][3] Addressing the House of Commons on the ban, Hurd said, "the terrorists themselves draw support and sustenance from access to radio and television ... the time has come to deny this easy platform to those who use it to propagate terrorism",[3][9] while the Conservative Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, said it would "deny terrorists the oxygen of publicity".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lord of the Llamas posted:

So you only heard the government's view on whats happening.
Simple as.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

"deny terrorists the oxygen of publicity".

Deny terrorists the oxygen to speak, but replace it with sulfur hexafluoride

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's how you get Barry White supremacists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
bh and dh at least show up in personal names you might come across and you can just stress the nearest English phoneme for people to take it over see ob han or tad huh gu

Milngavie is bullshit and wikis origin of the name sounds like a multi century game of telephone played through google translate, featuring at least one bh/dh switch