Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Call it Devil Summoner 5: Soul Hackers 2 as it should be and it'd be perfect though.

If only it was also Raidou 3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Atlus, hire Platinum to make Raidou 3. You can send me a check later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Platinum too busy making gaas games with single digit user bases lol

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Probably what I'd say is the worst story in a proper SMT but the gameplay is very good (I'm not sure I'd say its the best ever among SMT but I could accept an argument for it) even though I do think the crit-based Magatsuhi skill is a bit too overpowered.

Some of the Maps are complete horse poo poo too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are definitely some balance issues marring SMT5. Magatsuhi crit is brainless, level scaling is wack, phys block should not have been a skill or at least you should have gotten it way later.

I still really like the game and admire the experimentation, the vibe worked for me almost completely, but I understand ultimately it wasn't what a lot of fans wanted

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The balance didn't kill the game for me nearly as much as the navigating the awful maps, especially the multilevel ones.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

My guess is that for marketing purposes, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers 2 would be too unwieldy.

There's an interview where they semi-jokingly said exactly that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The maps were good

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I loved the maps, excluding that terrible demon king's castle. Just tedious and boring to look at (yes I've turned my monitor on).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I will take SMTV's maps over almost any other SMT games. I would have liked more involved dungeons too but considering that Lucifer's Castle broke people's brains it is probably best they didn't do that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It would've been cool if the temple of eternity didn't have such a strange and ineffectual gimmick.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I haven’t played SMTV yet but I did manage to get back to Nocturne and it had 2 great dungeons with Nihilo and Kabukicho Prison, and then it went right back to RPGdungeon.bmp with the Ikebukuro Tunnel which also commits the grand sin of having a darkness gimmick with light items.

I want to love you Nocturne, why are you doing this to me?

Edit: Oh, and it has ouchy floors as well because of course it does.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 30, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the castle was the best part of the game

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Nocturne gives way more variety with its locations and dungeons than V did.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Neeksy posted:

Nocturne gives way more variety with its locations and dungeons than V did.

I'm not sure what variety even means in this context if Nocturne has more of it. Sure, the locations look more different, but is the game experience notably different between those? Because SMT V is all in various versions of a destroyed city, but the areas all have notably different feels in how you play them. The first is a more wide-open area to accustom you to traversal, while the second steps it up but still stays fairly straightforward before giving you the game's one mostly-wild area after its midpoint. Everyone who beat SMT V can tell you about the third area, Welcome To Verticality, and the fourth area is incredibly memorable for its weird handling of non-linearity. Plus the three (four?) "normal" dungeons, which stand out by virtue of being dungeons, with the second being the only real "gimmick" area with its wind mechanics.

I don't consider purely aesthetic variety all that important or interesting, except insofar as it gives you landmarks within an area. SMT V is fine there, and I enjoy that it leans so whole-heartedly into traversing ruined cities. Would the game have been better if the third region had a volcano and the fourth had snow? Because I've seen way more of those elsewhere.

SMT V just feels great to play outside its fights in a way I haven't gotten from any of the others. I really do hope we get more games like it, even if they're not main-line.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I feel like aesthetic and narrative are both a part of the variety in Nocturne. You're dealing with an upside-down alt-reality prison made out of some old disused shopping center, the amala network itself, the muddy land from which manikin are born, the diet building with all the visual trickery, yoyogi park with the fairy traps, underground subway tunnels, a hospital, and there's an open world map that takes care of the same-y sand and ruins in miniature which gives you a sense of the scale of things on a macro level that I feel V spent a lot more time on rather than creating any interiors worth a drat. I'm not even touching on a lot of the other dungeons in it. Aesthetic variety helps a lot, and you can do that without going to the "volcano or snow level" bag of tricks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a volcano level would have been better than ruined city #3 though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Einander posted:

SMT V just feels great to play outside its fights in a way I haven't gotten from any of the others.

Yeah the poo poo frame rate and input lag combined with platforming really makes for a great experience

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah the poo poo frame rate and input lag combined with platforming really makes for a great experience

I totally grant that's the experience most people have, but if you emulate the game it's completely possible to have it run flawlessly. And if you do it does feel pretty slick

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think that excuses it, personally

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn’t even notice any input lag or frame rate inconsistency though I might just be used to that as it’s what the switch does

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn’t even notice any input lag or frame rate inconsistency though I might just be used to that as it’s what the switch does

I almost never play games on the switch for this exact reason nowadays, and I still didn't really notice any significant framerate issues. I'm sure they occurred, but I sure didn't notice them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was fine in handheld and that’s how I play 90% of the time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it must suck to be someone who can see frames because I can't remember the last time a major game released without people complaining about the framerate

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The framerate in the overworld was really rear end. Really the whole open world thing was a neat idea but it needed more work because it was overall just kinda boring.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I played all of SMTV in handheld mode because I am a sicko

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYq-1XcCt4I

Summoner's Guide Volume 4, about Ringo and Figue. There's a bit about shops, but the only real new mechanic revealed is a character affinity/affection/relationship system called Soul Level. It seems to display how responses the player makes will effect the relationship values before you select them.

It doesn't mention what the specific purpose is, but does mention there are perks associated with raising relationship points.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It's not like you ever need to do any actual *tight* platforming, if you ever feel you need to make a very precise jump to reach a ledge that's usually an unintended jump and there's an easier route you missed.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I played all of SMTV in handheld mode because I am a sicko

same

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Atlus is apparently going to show something during Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest 2022 event (which I'm pretty positive will be an English Soul Hackers 2 trailer).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just got hit with some peak SMT :negative:

Finally got to the top of the obelisk in Nocturne, easily defeated the Moirae sisters then got hit with an instakill from a Pazuzu on the way to a terminal to save. It was right outside the terminal room too, it was unbelievably perfect timing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Soul Hackers 2 North American Collector's Edition: Guess how much it costs, the answer may surprise you.

Also lol @ character art cards instead of the artbook from the Japanese CE.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TurnipFritter posted:

Soul Hackers 2 North American Collector's Edition: Guess how much it costs, the answer may surprise you.

Also lol @ character art cards instead of the artbook from the Japanese CE.

More than $100, less than $200. I'm gonna say $175.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

More than $100, less than $200. I'm gonna say $175.

$199.99 is technically less than $200, so I guess you got it.

Other Soul Hackers 2 news:
Also there's a stream in about 9 hours, I think it's just gonna be them playing the same demo from the event a few days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfKhfZO9A4

SteamDB apparently leaked that there's swimsuit DLC, so it seems like the Clothing equipment slot is like Persona's where it's just DLC outfits.

The game apparently lets you save anywhere and has an autosave.

New Kuzunoha

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I love smt + spin-offs but I’m a lot less excited for this one for whatever reason

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eMs0-Wmw9s

New preview movie, it's subtitled but I also imagine this'll be released with English voice acting as the Summer Games Fest trailer

They also announced some DLC

Costume packs and BGM (six total, only the Soul Hackers 1 costumes have been officially revealed but I assume the P5 costumes and the swimsuit stuff are two of the other ones)

DLC demons, though Masakado and Mara are the only ones officially revealed as of yet.

There's also standard grinding DLC and, perhaps most interestingly, "New Scenarios with New Characters"

Edit:

Oh, looks like the image they used for the demon DLC showed the silhouettes of the other demons. Look like we've got Zaou Gongen, Anahita, Nemissa, Armaiti, and Tzitzmitl.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 8, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does P5 Strikers have a proper post-game like Warriors titles or is it just over at the credits like P5?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Does P5 Strikers have a proper post-game like Warriors titles or is it just over at the credits like P5?

There's a bunch of post-game quests which get unlocked after beating the final boss, a lot of them are exciting stuff like beating the major bosses for the 3rd time. Defeating the last boss of the postgame quests unlocks a new difficulty level for replays of the main game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I love smt + spin-offs but I’m a lot less excited for this one for whatever reason

What has you apprehensive? Is it the visuals? The characters? The gameplay shown off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of you guys paying attention to the drops wanna let me know if Wicker Man is confirmed?