Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the NES port of tournament fighters isnt very good but it is good that it exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i shall be getting it for the switch because i have the NES and SNES controllers and they are really good for classic game compilations

This is correct, well done. Too bad that Goof Troop wasn’t actually announced for SNESFlix, that game owns. It’s like an hour of concentrated Link to the Past style dungeons.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Palmtree Panic posted:

All the good first party games are already on it. It’s not like Square-Enix are going to put any of their games on the service.

We'll see, they've collaborated in releasing their titles on just about every legacy content service Nintendo has offered, including the NES/SNES Classic mini-consoles

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
hosed up that the FF pixel remasters aren’t on the switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mini consoles are a slightly different beast. You can buy the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters on your NES Classic. It's not exactly a competing product, certainly not in the way the NSO app on your Switch is.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spellman posted:

We'll see, they've collaborated in releasing their titles on just about every legacy content service Nintendo has offered, including the NES/SNES Classic mini-consoles

its not impossible since bloodlines and hard corps are both in their respective compilations on the switch but also available on NSO but i wouldn't get my hopes up for publishers to put their games on the service when they can just make you buy the games separately

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

hosed up that the FF pixel remasters aren’t on the switch

genuinely

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bug Squash posted:

Triangle Strategy didn't grip me at first, with an hour to get to battle two and a few too many NPC names to remember, but a few hours past that and I'm completely sold. Battles are gripping and I'm somehow compelled by this story about salt and iron. Good recommendation thread.

Hell yeah

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

No, go back to the joke post

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wild posted:

No, go back to the joke post

Real life is the biggest joke of all

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I like NES Pinball :shrug:

The physics are kinda hosed, but whatever.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Would rather they release a game boy app and add Kirby Pinball

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm gonna be traveling a lot in the next few weeks. I want something that is distracting/entertaining on a plane, but not a full story I need to commit to.

Does anyone have strong feelings about : Civilization VI, Ashen, Gorogoa, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just met Riki in Xenoblade...

I take my earlier very enthusiastic praise back!! This is a Bad Videogame

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fawf posted:

it's very strange it wasn't there already, Urban Champion is the last NES game that I'm shocked is missing for how obvious it is, even if the game sucks rear end. Seemed like Nintendo was keen on it for a while, it was even one of the few games that got a 3D Classics release

Also Japan got Umihara Kawase which is good as hell and any subscriber can download any of the system apps from any region so I'd give it a play

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1529993736586813440

Will probably put some time into Congo's Caper and mess around with Pinball. I've enjoyed a lot of these weird games. Mario RPG would still be better but I'm having fun!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I doubt there are any licensing issues with SMRPG and they're likely keeping it in their back pocket for whenever they need a splash announcement like they did with Earthbound.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think there are minor licensing issues with square having to agree to any rereleases because they own all the original characters but its more likely what american mcgee said and they're saving it for a big announcement to drum up interest in the service

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo works in mysterious ways

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'd much rather have obscure stuff I never had a chance to play. I'd be more likely to mess around with that than Pinball.

Give me Satellaview and Virtual Boy games. I want to try the N64DD F-Zero X Expansion Kit and Mario Artist. Give me Super Scope games like Yoshi's Safari somehow. Give me Gyromite with a virtual ROB sitting to the side of the screen spinning gyros. I want Super Mario Advance 4 with all the eReader levels unlocked. I want to play that lovely Nelsonic Legend of Zelda watch game I had as a kid and lost in a house fire.

I'm so tired of getting the same retro garbage every month.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this service is supposed to provide.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo isn't in the business of retro game preservation or emulation. This is throwing a bone to the people who use their $1.15 per month online subscription service.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most of the stuff released on the service lately has been really obscure games no one has heard of lol. they arent going to pull out unfinished games and put them on the service unless they were already completed like star fox 2 and mother 1

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I totally get it, but that doesn't mean I don't still want it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
when's bionic commando?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the days of individually buying the classic games you want like on the wii and PS3/PSP are over and its now about paying for a service that may have the games you want and they may or may not be the PAL versions if its sony lol.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i still think NSO is a decent service despite the sometimes odd and confusing games nintendo chooses to add to it since it has most of the games people want to play with a few major exceptions

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the days of individually buying the classic games you want like on the wii and PS3/PSP are over and its now about paying for a service that may have the games you want and they may or may not be the PAL versions if its sony lol.

This is what getting the SNES Classic a few years ago is good for.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i still think NSO is a decent service despite the sometimes odd and confusing games nintendo chooses to add to it since it has most of the games people want to play with a few major exceptions

It’s fine for what it is. Though I am a bit tired of them drip feeding the games out for the third console in a row.

That said, I fully expect the NSO on the Switch 2 to start over and slowly release all the same games all over again. Because they did something like let us use custom borders. So all the games must be retested one by one to make sure they all work and are 100% compatible.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Marzzle posted:

turn-based strategy fire emblem is the only good stuff and I wish nintendo wouldn't mislead me by cranking out a zillion fire emblem themed bullshit games :smith:

there’s been, like, two

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Astro7x posted:

I want Super Mario Advance 4 with all the eReader levels unlocked.

You can have this right now, on the Wii U.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

This is throwing a bone to the people who use their $1.15 per month online subscription service.

beginning to think Nintendo took that phrase literally with all these caveman games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Just met Riki in Xenoblade...

I take my earlier very enthusiastic praise back!! This is a Bad Videogame

he will sneak into your heart

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
riki sneaky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Heropon is veryCOOL! :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Twelve by Pies posted:

The joke post would have been better than the actual update.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Had a problem with my 2fa where I had to reset my Google authenticator and Nintendo login system did not like that. I had to email customer support to get 2fa taken off and I only managed it because I was able to get my Nintendo ID off of my 3ds. I'm not sure I'll put 2fa back on, as this felt like a close call.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

It's definitely not helpful to hear after the fact, but almost every story I've heard of 2FA trouble has involved Google's effort. I use the built-in iOS one now but Authy is also a reliable cross-platform alternative. Life is too precious to risk using software made by an advertising company.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

It's definitely not helpful to hear after the fact, but almost every story I've heard of 2FA trouble has involved Google's effort. I use the built-in iOS one now but Authy is also a reliable cross-platform alternative. Life is too precious to risk using software made by an advertising company.

No, that is pretty useful. I would like 2FA, but not one that's at risk of locking me out of everything.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

2FA deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bug Squash posted:

Had a problem with my 2fa where I had to reset my Google authenticator and Nintendo login system did not like that. I had to email customer support to get 2fa taken off and I only managed it because I was able to get my Nintendo ID off of my 3ds. I'm not sure I'll put 2fa back on, as this felt like a close call.

Yeah, like others have stated, the problem is the Google Authenticator app. I learned this the hard way, too, and is precisely the reason I use 1Password.