Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BlueBlazer posted:

Could use a mental break.

Power Word: Augmentation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you're wondering about this image it's because I saw your original response before you changed it. I'll remember this one for the next time I hand out probes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

That is a picture of a mathematically perfect rat, not a mathematically perfect picture of a rat.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That is a picture of a mathematically perfect rat, not a mathematically perfect picture of a rat.

A picture of a mathematically perfect rat is de facto a picture of a rat that is mathematically perfect, don't try to go PHI101 on me I know my rats

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Epic High Five posted:

A picture of a mathematically perfect rat is de facto a picture of a rat that is mathematically perfect

slippery slope

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

slippery slope

More like slippery NOPE. Rats are mathematically perfect, deal with it

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Koos Group posted:

Would anyone be interested in making a gun control thread, so we can have deeper discussion and something established to return to when a current even causes interest in it?

Honestly that seems like a perfect invitation for all of the gun-owning/loving crowd to simply invade and once again talk about how nothing gun-related can/should be done because it's society that has to be changed (which is basically a cop out), that guns themselves should not be restricted by sale because most gun ownerships have no culpability in what occurs (besides the fact that there's no ethical consumption in capitalism), that it's only a cop problem, etc.

Sorry if that is too pointed of a response though; I have a 5 year old and a 16 month old, and the 5 year old starts kindergarten this year. And these events just cause more depression and fracturing of my mental state about what could happen to them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Republicans don't have leaders; they have wranglers. They poke and prod their voters from one talking point to the next.

https://twitter.com/LeaderMcConnell/status/1529941346928279594?s=20&t=f2ez8AXJFKmCRfMD850cnw

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Republicans don't have leaders; they have wranglers. They poke and prod their voters from one talking point to the next.

https://twitter.com/LeaderMcConnell/status/1529941346928279594?s=20&t=f2ez8AXJFKmCRfMD850cnw

mitch's right.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.snopes.com/ap/2022/05/26/ceo-pay-rose-17/

CEO Pay Rose 17% in 2021 As Profits Soared; Workers Trailed
The gain towers over the 4.4% increase in wages and benefits netted by private-sector workers through 2021.

quote:

Whatever its composition, the chasm in pay between CEOs and the rank-and-file workers they oversee keeps widening. At half the companies in this year’s pay survey, it would take the worker at the middle of the company’s pay scale at least 186 years to make what their CEO did last year. That’s up from 166 a year earlier.

At Walmart, for example, the company said its median associate made $25,335 in compensation last year. That means half its workers made more, and half made less.

Anger is growing over such an imbalance. Surveys suggest Americans across political parties see CEO pay as too high, and some investors are pushing back.

Workers are trying to organize unions across the country, and the “Great Resignation” has emboldened millions to quit to find better jobs elsewhere. The U.S. government counted more than 4 million quits during April 2021 alone, the first time that happened. The monthly number has since topped 4.5 million twice.

Someone remind me again how nobody wants to work and that wage earners are causing all this inflation by making too much money

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2022/05/26/ceo-pay-rose-17/

CEO Pay Rose 17% in 2021 As Profits Soared; Workers Trailed
The gain towers over the 4.4% increase in wages and benefits netted by private-sector workers through 2021.

Someone remind me again how nobody wants to work and that wage earners are causing all this inflation by making too much money

Joe let Barack play with the gas price and economy levers one last time for funsies but they got stuck in the bad position and nobody knows how to fix them

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

B B posted:

Apparently the police took so long to enter the building because there was a gunman inside and they were worried they might be shot.

https://twitter.com/JREakin/status/1529979115709034496

https://twitter.com/meganmmenchaca/status/1529891557817589761

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

It’d be nice if this were the death knell to the idea that cops are here to protect and serve you for at least some people.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’d be nice if this were the death knell to the idea that cops are here to protect and serve you for at least some people.

Michael Tracy looks like he's starting to come around and if a guy that loving stupid is starting to see the way the wind has been blowing then maybe there's some hope for everyone else.

Or not.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"They never shoot anyone *I* care about!"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

She's lucky she got out of police custody alive.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Maybe we should change all those thin blue line stickers into a thin yellow line, but I googled it and apparently those are for tow truck drivers.
Goddamn do they duplicate cop worship on the janitor too? Is that a thin babyshit green line?

I did not think my opinion of cops could get any lower.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think that instead of any substantial blame assigned to the cops, the narrative is going to be (at least in RWM circles) that they had their budget slashed or some poo poo and, see, this is why we need more police. Or it'll be how the MSM is being real mean to those poor policeman again and, god, why does the left have to politicize these horrible tragedies?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that instead of any substantial blame assigned to the cops, the narrative is going to be (at least in RWM circles) that they had their budget slashed or some poo poo and, see, this is why we need more police. Or it'll be how the MSM is being real mean to those poor policeman again and, god, why does the left have to politicize these horrible tragedies?

They can claim we all eat babies if it loving changes something. I have a personal reason, but 60% of all shootings are committed by perpetrators of domestic violence. Just like my father, and I couldn't do anything to get his guns away when everyone with a brain could see that he was having a psychotic break. That would be easy to pass and like BTFC mentioned, we can stand up every GOP ghoul and have them explain why they think wife beaters should have guns.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

I suspect I'm to the right of most of D&D regarding police defunding, but this is just jaw-dropping incompetence. The fact that it's taken several days to get a fuzzy timeline and basic facts like whether or not the police even engaged the shooter before he entered the school looks like desperate rear end-covering.

I'd like to stress then that this situation is exactly what Defund the police are talking about when they say the police can't and won't protect you. The Department was highly trained, highly funded, and repeatedly trained for school shootings because we've decided that we can't stop them but a swift tactical response is good enough.

All that training and money went out the window the second the actual school shooting happened and the cops turned into scared animals. Absolute loving waste of time and money that could of gone to intervening into people's lives and getting them help before they start shooting.

Civil Lies
Sep 3, 2008
The obvious solution is to increase police budgets so they can afford better crisis training.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'd like to stress then that this situation is exactly what Defund the police are talking about when they say the police can't and won't protect you. The Department was highly trained, highly funded, and repeatedly trained for school shootings because we've decided that we can't stop them but a swift tactical response is good enough.

All that training and money went out the window the second the actual school shooting happened and the cops turned into scared animals. Absolute loving waste of time and money that could of gone to intervening into people's lives and getting them help before they start shooting.

They didn't have the sack to join the military but they still want to shoot people.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Farking Bastage posted:

They didn't have the sack to join the military but they still want to shoot people who don't shoot back.

Fixed. It's a very important distinction.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Fixed. It's a very important distinction.

I stand corrected.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

mitch's right.

I mean, yeah, in the sense that he's pointing out problems he and his party have an extremely huge hand in creating and have zero interest in actually solving. Yes, yes, Dems too, if that helps.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I mean, it would be nice to see Democrats step up to the plate & use such easily distilled talking points, because the ones they're using now certainly don't hit the spot quite the same way.

The two most recent tweets from his Senate counterpart:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1529848914395922432

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1529553806194794496

Schumer's using talking points, too (domestic terrorism, maga republicans) but they don't hit the same way, and Schumer's also making it about himself.

"Domestic terrorism" is also kind of abstract compared to "their lax gun laws are killing our kids," much less McConnell's "they're making your lives harder."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Now that I think of it, I bet Schumer's leaning on "domestic terrorism" to the exclusion of everything else because the Dems, in their elite & removed-from-most-voters wisdom, are hanging their hats on the upcoming televised congressional hearings on America's Darkest Day 1/6 Never Forget, which are scheduled to begin when they get back from their current vacation.

They're even holding some of the hearings in prime time because they're convinced that voters would rather watch doddering members of congress trip over their staffs' prepared statements than watch the new season of Big Brother.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

They're even holding some of the hearings in prime time because they're convinced that voters would rather watch doddering members of congress trip over their staffs' prepared statements than watch the new season of Big Brother.

I didn't know that was still on the air

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The CBS primetime lineup never changes, from 60 Minutes to Survivor to Big Bro. :corsair:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Farking Bastage posted:

Maybe we should change all those thin blue line stickers into a thin yellow line, but I googled it and apparently those are for tow truck drivers.
Goddamn do they duplicate cop worship on the janitor too? Is that a thin babyshit green line?

Not that I particularly like the "thin X line" flags in concept, but it's worth noting that being a tow truck driver is both more of a public service, and significantly more dangerous, than being a cop.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hey if your profession could be venerated to the point where you can kill a person on camera and usually get away with it, then you should expect others to copy the PR moves that got you there.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

mitch's right.

It's not "the Democrats' inflation" so he is actually wrong.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Farking Bastage posted:

I had this same thought the other day.

The #2 pencil line

Quick someone Photoshop an American flag with a number two pencil replacing one of the stripes.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Dietrich posted:

Hey if your profession could be venerated to the point where you can kill a person on camera and usually get away with it, then you should expect others to copy the PR moves that got you there.

I can't wait for this to be my life:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The #2 pencil line

Quick someone Photoshop an American flag with a number two pencil replacing one of the stripes.

Calvin peeing on a Thin Blue Line flag/Punisher Skull with Thin Blue Line flag.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Meaty Ore posted:

Or take the punisher skull and make it into an Apple or something.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

It's not "the Democrats' inflation" so he is actually wrong.

You don't think voters correlate the inflation of the last year with Democrats & Biden?

Because even if you're :actually: correct, the GOP campaign to blame it on Biden & the Dems seems to be taking hold among voters, according to the polling.

Speaking of which, Biden's approval gap is at an all-time low high in the RCP tracker:

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 27, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Right? And what gets me even more is that we had all these trained, heavily armed cops and border patrol agents right there who didn't do poo poo but, sure, lets arm a bunch of elementary school teachers, give them 2 hours of training and maybe that will work.

Next step/idea: arming the students probably. Didn't Sasha Cohen do a skit riffing on that poo poo and some congressman or mayor was actually for the idea? Kinderguardians?

Meaty Ore posted:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The #2 pencil line

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Or take the punisher skull and make it into an Apple or something.

Might make for a decent photoshop thread

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 27, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Right? And what gets me even more is that we had all these trained, heavily armed cops and border patrol agents right there who didn't do poo poo but, sure, lets arm a bunch of elementary school teachers, give them 2 hours of training and maybe that will work.

Next step/idea: arming the students probably. Didn't Sasha Cohen do a skit riffing on that poo poo and some congressman or mayor was actually for the idea? Kinderguardians?

Might make for a decent photoshop thread

As long as people have the holy freedom to buy a gun, walk into a school, and start shooting, we're just going to get stupider and stupider trying to find solutions that won't interfere with that freedom.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is a tough read, but here's an account of what went on from one of the students in there.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html

A kid having to smear herself with a dead students blood to play dead and then lay there for an hour, knowing there are police outside and wondering why they aren't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

You don't think voters correlate the inflation of the last year with Democrats & Biden?

Because even if you're :actually: correct, the GOP campaign to blame it on Biden & the Dems seems to be taking hold among voters, according to the polling.

Speaking of which, Biden's approval gap is at an all-time low in the RCP tracker:

It's also worth noting that Biden's approval ratings are now worse than Trump's at the same point in their presidencies. In fact, at this point in his president, Biden's the least liked of all the presidents for which we have data (going back to 1945):

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/