Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

With a warlord and bondi I've already done (and just based) that should be a 4 point Viking army. Got some Anglo-Danes on the way, still working on a color palette for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

StashAugustine posted:

With a warlord and bondi I've already done (and just based) that should be a 4 point Viking army. Got some Anglo-Danes on the way, still working on a color palette for them.

these look killer :hellyeah:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I whipped up some of these 2 mm guys:

All 3D printed, including the base - 75 mm square. Took about 1.5 hrs to paint, and I was painting for speed (absolutely don't zoom in lol). The models are Project Wargaming STLs, and the inspiration is going to be based on
Forward March Studios simple but watercolour-painting-like terrain style that I will probably attempt once I'm done the huge amount of hex terrain I'm making for Battletech (pop over to that thread if you want to see my modular terrain efforts):

I still have a fair bit of BT hex terrain I want to get done (plus I have loads to do on my race car and also other cars) so this project is a few months out maybe but I like how this prototype turned out. Thinking about using it to play Blucher.

e: not sure why that FMS pic saved to imgur weird but he has some great pics on his site

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 30, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Someone here recommended Chain of Command. Now I got the rules, but was told there was a sourcebook for running campaigns, and I just can't find it on the website. Anyone here know what it's called?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tias posted:

Someone here recommended Chain of Command. Now I got the rules, but was told there was a sourcebook for running campaigns, and I just can't find it on the website. Anyone here know what it's called?

Chain of command: At the Sharp End

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you're looking explicitly for a scenario generator and a great solo-play / table generator I'd also check out Platoon Forward! which can also be found on their site.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Viking runestones as objective markers

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

alg posted:

Viking runestones as objective markers

Oooh, that's a good idea! If I ever expand into the period (my wallet says 'please god, no!' but my heart is always tempted) I'd have to do something like that, since that's a pretty cool idea.

On the topic of objective markers though, for Bolt Action I have a little sitting German Shepherd model from Warlord - I'm thinking about gluing a leather satchel to him, and making a greenstuff strap over his shoulder or in his mouth, to represent an 'inspector rex' tier good boy, with captured intelligence that both sides need to try and retrieve. Not sure how I should go about making the strap look like anything other than horrible spaghetti, though!

But in addition to this, I've painted up a surrendering tank commander for my Italian force. I originally got him bundled with some other commanders and for a laugh decided I'd paint him up, even though there's no practical use for him. (Other than to represent the inevitable surrender of my army!) :D So yeah, I might use him as like, a captured tanker ace that needs to be rescued in the 'top secret' (not sure why they don't call it 'VIP rescue') mission type, or something.

So yeah, it was a super quick job without much effort (don't shame me! haha) but I painted him up with a ratty beard and tried to make him look pretty ragged/dogged, like he'd fallen on rough times lately. (I mean, prisoners being interrogated or whatever don't normally stay at luxury resorts! :v: ) Although I dunno, after sleeping on it I might also try to drybrush some dirt around the bottoms of his trouser legs and on his knees, or something.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 2, 2022

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm on my phone, someone 'shop the queen on them stones.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Major Isoor posted:

Not sure how I should go about making the strap look like anything other than horrible spaghetti, though!
Roll your putty out into a sheet, cut a wide strip of it that's long enough to go the whole way around, then use a blade to cut away the bits you don't need and leave a nice smooth edge on it all.

Major Isoor posted:

So yeah, it was a super quick job without much effort (don't shame me! haha) but I painted him up with a ratty beard and tried to make him look pretty ragged/dogged, like he'd fallen on rough times lately. (I mean, prisoners being interrogated or whatever don't normally stay at luxury resorts! :v: ) Although I dunno, after sleeping on it I might also try to drybrush some dirt around the bottoms of his trouser legs and on his knees, or something.
He looks great, but his trousers do look a little cleaner than the rest of him. At least give it a sepia wash, smear some brown on there.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Roll your putty out into a sheet, cut a wide strip of it that's long enough to go the whole way around, then use a blade to cut away the bits you don't need and leave a nice smooth edge on it all.

Cool, will do! Not a bad thought at all. Since then with the off-cuts I'll stick them into the hollow bit at the back of the satchel, so that it looks more 'natural'. (Since the satchel is from the Warlord Italian box. So the back of them is hollow, and it'll be real obvious seeing as the dog won't cover the entire back, like the waist of a soldier does)

Arquinsiel posted:

He looks great, but his trousers do look a little cleaner than the rest of him. At least give it a sepia wash, smear some brown on there.

Yeah, his pants just look like smooth grey tubes, which I'm not keen on. I've got a brown wash, so that's a good plan - I'll just slap some of that on at least, so he looks like he's got a few days' grime on him, to match the few days' growth on his face :D

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The strap doesn't even need to be green stuff. A lot of the stowage straps I have made in the past were just strips of thick paper/not quite cardboard. I'm sure you have or will get soon some pieces of junk mail that would be great for that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I may have already posted a couple of these ITT, but regardless here’s some dark age dudes :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Endman posted:

I may have already posted a couple of these ITT, but regardless here’s some dark age dudes :)

So what are you doing for their chain mail, out of curiosity? Priming black, then drybrushing silver over the tops of the rings? Looks great either way!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Major Isoor posted:

So what are you doing for their chain mail, out of curiosity? Priming black, then drybrushing silver over the tops of the rings? Looks great either way!

I usually prime in light grey, so the chainmail is just Citadel Leadbelcher, Nuln Oil and then a light overbrush of silver, either Citadel or Vallejo.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got sidetracked from my knights by the Farm Animals set from Warlord Games. Working on some scatter terrain for various historicals:

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zuul the Cat posted:

I got sidetracked from my knights by the Farm Animals set from Warlord Games. Working on some scatter terrain for various historicals:

Omg :3:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zuul the Cat posted:

Hah, what timing! I've had my eye on the those farm animals and actually ordered them (along with a li'l barn) last night. Hey farm buddy! :D

Looks great though! Certainly waaay better than what I'll be doing with them. Well done!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

that Warlord box is perfect. I was able to make enough animal bases for Sharpe Practice and Saga from it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zuul the Cat posted:

Awesome work!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those ducks are awesome! And I love the heraldry on your knights

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Got some Anglo Dane huscarls and warriors done. Should be enough for a 4 point match-up on both sides, plus I've got some levies primed. Thinking:
-Danes: Warlord, 8x HG, 4x heavy HG, 8x warrior, (8x warrior, 12x bow levy)
-Vikings: Warlord, 8x HG, 4x berserker, 8x warriors, (8x warriors, 12x bow levy)
Watched some batreps and played a solo game to get a feel for it, still trying to get a feel for balancing dice between activations and abilities- any general tactics advice is appreciated (especially since I've read a bunch but I'm introducing it to a new player.) Also considering how to flesh out these armies a bit more- probably more Dane axes (a 4 unit feels pretty slim), Viking javelins, but idk what ranges of warriors and hearthguard is normal

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I dug some pre-dissolution Wargames Factory minis out of my stash. Their 15mm sculpts look nice, but they definitely repeat pretty quickly. How do these stack up against other 15mm manufacturers?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really liked their Americans that I got. They seem a little more Heroic than the PSC ones, but less than the old Battlefront metals.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I had them mixed in with some Peter Pig specialty units and they were fine at table distance. Maybe a little wonky up close if you're photographing but for gaming they were an amazing value especially at the time when the Battlefront resin dudes were poo poo and PSC didn't have the stock they do now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Great Escape Games Gunfighters for the upcoming lardy game What a Cowboy. I am not interested in What a Tanker but a cowboy skirmish campaign game is right up my alley.

These are great minis. Gunfighters II is still in the mail, apparently

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wasn't aware these were a thing. I need a cowboy hat head for a stupid conversion I've wanted to do for years. May as well just buy a box.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

alg posted:

Great Escape Games Gunfighters for the upcoming lardy game What a Cowboy. I am not interested in What a Tanker but a cowboy skirmish campaign game is right up my alley.

These are great minis. Gunfighters II is still in the mail, apparently

I already have way too many cowboy minis from building every posse possible in Warhammer Historicals Legends of the Old West, but What A Cowboy intrigues me.

Tell me more!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I already have way too many cowboy minis from building every posse possible in Warhammer Historicals Legends of the Old West, but What A Cowboy intrigues me.

Tell me more!

I don't really know much about it since all I can glean is from their FB group, but it is apparently a Lardy game (in editing currently according to their FB page) that will be like What A Tanker! but for Cowboys. You get a gang of 2-4 Cowboys and play a campaign.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anyone else on this 2 mm tip? still plowing away on battletech terrain but i found a source of free lexan to make my terrain boards so my idea is starting to pull together. printed off some artillery to prototype a concept for blucher. thinking 3 smaller bases on a large base (probably in a recess/slot with magnets, not sitting on top like have here), that way a player can mass his artillery to form units or disperse them to brigades (and these will be used as markers basically)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Tell me more!

In the meantime you can always try Dracula’s America. It’s a Wild West game set in an alternate timeline where Dracula kills Lincoln, crushes the south in the civil war, and rules America with an iron fist. You can play with or without supernatural elements. Gunning down werewolf George Custer with my band of outlaws is one of my fondest gaming moments.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 9, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There are two or three rulesets currently out there, but right now I'd just keep playing LotOW. I still have the books!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Legends of the Old West seems to have been one of the best illustrations of how strong the Lord of the Rings game system actually was when you weren't trying to replicate film action.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

In the meantime you can always try Dracula’s America. It’s a Wild West game set in an alternate timeline where Dracula kills Lincoln, crushes the south in the civil war, and rules America with an iron fist. You can play with or without supernatural elements. Gunning down werewolf George Custer with my band of outlaws is one of my fondest gaming moments.

Rude.

But on a serious note, Dracula's America is a great fun game. Jumping in and out of windows while shooting is very fun.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am very excited for my Zombicide Undead or Alive box to show up so I can use all the minis in it for Dracula's America and never touch the base game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Any advice for what color to paint the fletching for Viking age archers? I don't know what kinds of feathers would usually be used

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Try a pale grey-brown. Solid odds geese haven't changed all that much in the last millennium.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah from poking around it seems at least in premiere England geese were most popular, occasionally swans as well, so mostly gray with some white and light brown. Seems like the Vikings may have used eagles as well but white tailed eagles. Interestingly looks like peacock feathers were a luxury item primarily for hunting but could be a cool flourish on elite units

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I played some Force on Force Vietnam today with a local club that was very welcoming and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That is a beautiful table