Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Steakandchips posted:

Like what sort of rules?

Laws and policies. Unworkable, vaguely written policies that most other places just sort of shrug at and halfway implement. To do with licencing, conduct, whatever. Y'know, rules.

Can you have $vendors in $place? What sort of vehicles are allowed? What forms of of ID are acceptable for various official purposes? Do you need to register (thing)? How often?
Y'know, rules.

Edit:
Something that might not be clear is, Chinese central-government laws aren't.
They are written in an ambiguous style, in which words are (presumably deliberately) chosen so that they can be interpreted in many ways. Sharp contrast with, say, the laws of a lot of other countries, or even many Chinese local government laws, in which specific terms are explained, definitions are available, etc.

As a result, there is usually room for interpretation of details, unless the central government actually leans forward and says "no, we didn't mean that".

And when Beijing does this, they shoot for Maximum rear end in a top hat.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Steakandchips posted:

Like what sort of rules?

in shanghai subway stations i could get around the backpack security check by just holding open my empty bag towards them so they could peek while I powerwalked through. In beijing they didnt care that it was empty it was going through the xray machine

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doesn’t sound like a fun place to visit.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

LentThem posted:

in shanghai subway stations i could get around the backpack security check by just holding open my empty bag towards them so they could peek while I powerwalked through. In beijing they didnt care that it was empty it was going through the xray machine

I forgot I had a pocket knife in my backpack one time and they wouldn't let me on the subway. So I walked around to another entrance, put it in my pocket, and everything was fine.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
They tried to make me drink olive oil I'd just bought at the grocery store in Wuhan. A random lady even stopped to lecture me about complying with local laws when I tried to explain to security why I wasn't going to do that.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Atopian posted:

Laws and policies. Unworkable, vaguely written policies that most other places just sort of shrug at and halfway implement. To do with licencing, conduct, whatever. Y'know, rules.

Can you have $vendors in $place? What sort of vehicles are allowed? What forms of of ID are acceptable for various official purposes? Do you need to register (thing)? How often?
Y'know, rules.

Edit:
Something that might not be clear is, Chinese central-government laws aren't.
They are written in an ambiguous style, in which words are (presumably deliberately) chosen so that they can be interpreted in many ways. Sharp contrast with, say, the laws of a lot of other countries, or even many Chinese local government laws, in which specific terms are explained, definitions are available, etc.

As a result, there is usually room for interpretation of details, unless the central government actually leans forward and says "no, we didn't mean that".

And when Beijing does this, they shoot for Maximum rear end in a top hat.

I assume the difference with common law is that Chinese courts and judges cannot interpret the laws and set precedent (or decide the law makes no sense and shunt it up to a higher level), they do what they are told. Common law acts also tend to be intentionally riven with vagaries. Collateral prosecutions are a feature.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China's just weird because on a grand scale it's a totalitarian nightmare with laws for everything and a central government that would love to control everyone's life at a micro scale. If you make the mistake of doing anything that attracts Sauron's eye to you, you are profoundly hosed. But in your day to day experience living there it's a ultra-libertarian anarchy where even the most common sense behavior rules like "don't drive through a red light directly in front of a big red dump truck going 150 km/hr" don't exist, everything is random and the only social value is money.

I think part of why the subway security theater is so infuriating, beyond its pointlessness, is it's the most visible way the government fucks with you on a daily basis and interrupts your surf through the chaos.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i fear no man, but big red dump truck, that thing scares me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

China's just weird because on a grand scale it's a totalitarian nightmare with laws for everything and a central government that would love to control everyone's life at a micro scale. If you make the mistake of doing anything that attracts Sauron's eye to you, you are profoundly hosed. But in your day to day experience living there it's a ultra-libertarian anarchy where even the most common sense behavior rules like "don't drive through a red light directly in front of a big red dump truck going 150 km/hr" don't exist, everything is random and the only social value is money.

I think part of why the subway security theater is so infuriating, beyond its pointlessness, is it's the most visible way the government fucks with you on a daily basis and interrupts your surf through the chaos.

I think it feels this way in most totalitarian countries. A few years ago I was visiting some friends in Uzbekistan and as hellish as the regime is, on day to day basis if you don't get in the way, it all feels perfectly fine and you can bribe your way with traffic cops with a few bucks, or wink at a juice vendor to get a black market exchange rate for your USD. And yeah they also have the security theater in subways and railway stations.

America
Apr 26, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

I think it feels this way in most totalitarian countries. A few years ago I was visiting some friends in Uzbekistan and as hellish as the regime is, on day to day basis if you don't get in the way, it all feels perfectly fine and you can bribe your way with traffic cops with a few bucks, or wink at a juice vendor to get a black market exchange rate for your USD. And yeah they also have the security theater in subways and railway stations.

Part of the way tyranny works is that it encourages the imposition of tyranny on smaller and smaller scales, the logical endpoint being that each man becomes tyrant of his territory (women/children/customers/citizens/etc).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

America posted:

Part of the way tyranny works is that it encourages the imposition of tyranny on smaller and smaller scales, the logical endpoint being that each man becomes tyrant of his territory (women/children/customers/citizens/etc).

You’re taking about mods, right?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No mods no masters

(USER WAS BANNED FROM USING INTERFORUM RAIL FOR THIS POST)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

America posted:

Part of me went 'Aaaah, Confucianism' and I'm not sure why.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The Chinese are beginning to unleash the power of Chaos TikTok

We are not prepared

https://twitter.com/wills_account/s...ingawful.com%2F

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

We are not prepared

Uh.... What's actually happening here with deep-fried horn man?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

it's pretty self-explanatory

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

frytechnician posted:

Uh.... What's actually happening here with deep-fried horn man?

If you're asking why the horns stick to him, it's the exact same method used for cupping. Because the air inside is heated, it expands. The volume of the horn is fixed, though, so it pushes air out of the horn due to increased pressure. From the moment the flame is removed, the air inside is cooling. As it cools, the pressure drops and a vacuum is created.

Pressure, temperature, and volume are all fixed in ratio to each other. See the ideal gas law for more information. If PV=nRT. R is a constant, and n is the amount of substance, so the ratio that is important is PV to T. If temp rises, either pressure or volume must rise as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Why did he deep fry them first? Is it to seal up any pores or something?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

For the crunch.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's not the same if you don't deep fry them first

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Seth Pecksniff posted:

We are not prepared

Oni, but made in China

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm wondering what they would normally use a basket of horns for when not making silly tiktoks

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

therobit posted:

Why did he deep fry them first? Is it to seal up any pores or something?

I don't know if this is specifically why, but horns smell really bad.

Really bad.

Can you imagine what rotting fingernail smells like? It's that.

I'd assume frying them kills off any lingering scent and acts to sterilise them.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm wondering what they would normally use a basket of horns for when not making silly tiktoks

Clears scourge, diffuses toxins, removes excess damp in the body, discharges heat, etc. tbh what can't horns do?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

bones 4 beginners posted:

Clears scourge, diffuses toxins, removes excess damp in the body, discharges heat, etc. tbh what can't horns do?

If they're so awesome, how does anyone ever kill anything with horns so they can take them?
Imagining a cow rippling with power, unleashing Godzilla-style energy rays with every moo.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you imagine what rotting fingernail smells like? It's that.

Gotta be honest Megillah Gorilla I cannot. I've experienced a lot of things in my life but rotting fingernails is not one of them.

Where do you even get enough fingernails for that?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
This is not the Robocop we were promised 😒

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Naomi Wu is quite fascinatingly crazy, isn't she?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Naomi Wu is quite fascinatingly crazy, isn't she?

She seems fun.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

does this dude have a lisp? he sounds like the stranger things kid with baby teeth or something but obviously speaking mandarin

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

snergle posted:

does this dude have a lisp? he sounds like the stranger things kid with baby teeth or something but obviously speaking mandarin

What the gently caress?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So lockdowns in Shanghai are being lifted tomorrow.

How long until the city closes down again?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre not being lifted if they never technically started!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Forceholy posted:

How long until the city closes down again?

About 5 seconds after JIang says so?

e: to crosspost from another thread

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Me hacking a Gibson

I flew on a Qatar Airways flight last year and they had Hackers on the entertainment server so I watched it. It was a very hacked (heh) version of the film that surprised me so much I made notes on what it had removed. poo poo like Cereal Killer trying to flog his 'greatest zooks' album featuring singers that died by asphyxiating on their own vomit, all reference to god EXCEPT the one at the end when Cereal gives his worldwide broadcast, Joey's rear end in the scene he gets busted by the feds in the shower...

Oh and the line "look at that pooper, man. Spandex. It's a privilege, not a right"

水军

url fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 31, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snergle posted:

That’s just the way Mandarin sounds. For a comparison check out Cantonese from a 1980s/1990s Hong Kong film. Night and day.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Cantonese sounds really odd to me after spending most of my life with mandarin or hokkien speakers. Not bad, just strange. At least it has its upsides like winding up the missus really stressing the last syllables like when you say yat wun tong a it becomes yat wun tOOONG la, really cranking it so you get some nasal action going and it comes out a bit like a goose honking.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I noticed that in the last Hong Kong film I watched and it was oddly charming.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
pu kai yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

So, my little Shanghai suburb got locked down along with the big city a while back, went through various phases of reopening, and finally gave the green light to 'normal life*' last week.
(that is, shops/restaurants/bars yes, but also mandatory contact tracing and at-least-weekly whole-population NAT)

Nothing has exploded... yet. Not inclined to call it until a couple of weeks after Shanghai's partial reopening today, but... extremely cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Atopian posted:

So, my little Shanghai suburb got locked down along with the big city a while back, went through various phases of reopening, and finally gave the green light to 'normal life*' last week.
(that is, shops/restaurants/bars yes, but also mandatory contact tracing and at-least-weekly whole-population NAT)

Nothing has exploded... yet. Not inclined to call it until a couple of weeks after Shanghai's partial reopening today, but... extremely cautiously optimistic.

Beijing is still threading the line. Nat tests every other day, bars and restaurants are still closed, takeout only. Online education for the foreseeable future.

I think we're down to 20 or so cases.