Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
the thing is, its not fun to write here about how the comic is good and then get argued with. i just read it and enjoy it and don't have much to say. there's probably a lot of other people like that, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Silent Mimejority…

Wait hang on I need a name change

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mimesweeper posted:

the thing is, its not fun to write here about how the comic is good and then get argued with. i just read it and enjoy it and don't have much to say. there's probably a lot of other people like that, i guess.

This is true and judging by the reddit and the comic's forums and comment section there are plenty of people who think things are fine.

I'm of the opinion that this is a weird stumble, and hopefully it'll get back on track. The comic still looks great and the characters can be fun, I liked Jerrek in the last chapter despite everything, and I'm interested to see if Annie will actually let her guard down and date somebody, even if it's a villain pretending to be a Frankenstein. If there's just a soft spot in the middle of the comic where for some reason a bunch of plot happens offscreen while the onscreen story stalls out, that won't be a big deal in the long run. If it's just like this forever then I'm very sad about a great comic suddenly becoming bad.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mimesweeper posted:

If you can make actually convincing points about how it is actually still good I'd be more than happy to hear them, especially since I don't have a clue what they would be.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Pretty sure you're beyond convincing.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Is that the full stakes of the court leaving? The ex-robots seem like they’ll be fine on their own. I’m still unclear why I should care about their plan.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bell_ posted:

Pretty sure you're beyond convincing.

No one has even tried.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fecha posted:

Is that the full stakes of the court leaving? The ex-robots seem like they’ll be fine on their own. I’m still unclear why I should care about their plan.

Maybe the alley scene was supposed to convey that they...need a guiding hand? Eww

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mimesweeper posted:

same. I gave up on this thread ages ago. its just a bunch of people bitching about how much they hate it. And even when we tried to have that conversation in the general webcomics thread about GK somehow yes all the same lovely sniping followed us there. Its pointless to talk about it anywhere on this site now. I'm just enjoying it on my own without anyone to talk about it with.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I mean, honestly, I'd love to see posts about it that are people genuinely enjoying it without being sycophants like the GKC comments page always is, because I really struggle to understand what's enjoyable about it right now. It legitimately feels like the plot and characterization is fraying, and I'm curious if folks enjoying the comic disagree, or if they agree but find it doesn't really hinder their enjoyment, maybe they trust Tom enough to pull it together, etc.

I really do mean this in good faith, as I've said several times I've liked this comic for years and I want to like it again. I can't speak for anyone else but I do personally value that perspective, and I'm sorry if I've contributed to making it feel like you can't post.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Rumda posted:

If you can make actually convincing points about how it is actually still good I'd be more than happy to hear them, especially since I don't have a clue what they would be.

no thats cool, if you dont like it you dont like it, im not the boss of your enjoyment of media. im just rambling about why it maybe looks like a hate thread

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I kinda would like to hear from people who still like Gunnerkrigg because I want to like it again. It all just seems to be getting dumber and less interesting, but maybe that's just a skewed perspective? Maybe there's value in how things are going that I'm missing? I won't even argue or anything, promise!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

same. I gave up on this thread ages ago. its just a bunch of people bitching about how much they hate it. And even when we tried to have that conversation in the general webcomics thread about GK somehow yes all the same lovely sniping followed us there. Its pointless to talk about it anywhere on this site now. I'm just enjoying it on my own without anyone to talk about it with.
That was a very funny conversation.
"Why are people saying gunnerkrigg is bad now?"
*brief summary of past few chapters*
"That's not true"
"What parts aren't true?"
*crickets*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

worm girl posted:

This is true and judging by the reddit and the comic's forums and comment section there are plenty of people who think things are fine.

I'm of the opinion that this is a weird stumble, and hopefully it'll get back on track. The comic still looks great and the characters can be fun, I liked Jerrek in the last chapter despite everything, and I'm interested to see if Annie will actually let her guard down and date somebody, even if it's a villain pretending to be a Frankenstein. If there's just a soft spot in the middle of the comic where for some reason a bunch of plot happens offscreen while the onscreen story stalls out, that won't be a big deal in the long run. If it's just like this forever then I'm very sad about a great comic suddenly becoming bad.
It's been stumbling since July 2020.

E: I enjoyed Jerrick going full :geno:. Prior to the... thing... I really liked all gingerbot's scenes

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 27, 2022

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mimesweeper posted:

no thats cool, if you dont like it you dont like it, im not the boss of your enjoyment of media. im just rambling about why it maybe looks like a hate thread

Then try to reverse that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like reading the comic fine even if I can see flaws and laugh about them. To me it feels like it's building up a rising action even if it's not executing well on it and something big is looming, I'm interested to see where it goes and how the massive number of pieces introduced in the most recent narrative arcs will come together.

I won't lie I feel like Mort passing marked the end of a particular tone to the comic that I miss a lot. So many old friends we just don't see at all anymore, and some who continue to be relevant but get very little time to make room for new characters and their plotlines. I want to see how Basil is doing through all this.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 27, 2022

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Rumda posted:

Then try to reverse that.

this is exactly what i mean about not wanting to get argued with. no. i'm going to read the comic i like and skim this thread for the occasional thing that interests me instead. this place isn't my responsibility, i don't have any desire to change your mind or change the thread and now we're posting about posting instead of the comic. it's all around pointless.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 27, 2022

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mimesweeper posted:

this is exactly what i mean about not wanting to get argued with. no. i'm going to read the comic i like and skim this thread for the occasional thing that interests me instead. this place isn't my responsibility, i don't have any desire to change your mind or change the thread and now we're posting about posting instead of the comic. it's all around pointless.

You're posting about posting I'm trying to bring it back on topic but you all keep refusing to.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It feels like, thanks to the slow burn pacing, the bigger divide isn't "do you enjoy specific elements of the story" and more "do you have faith this is leading somewhere interesting?".

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
it's funny to me that i felt like talking about how it might look like a hate thread but there's probably just plenty of people who quietly like it, for example i like it but don't say anything cause i don't want conflict, and the comic is still pretty okay. and be met with "oh, well id like to see you argue that." "have you tried arguing it?" i mean, c'mon :v

edit:

YaketySass posted:

It feels like, thanks to the slow burn pacing, the bigger divide isn't "do you enjoy specific elements of the story" and more "do you have faith this is leading somewhere interesting?".

thats a good point, and i'd say i haven't lost hope yet for whatever reason.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Does it count as "following" if people read multiple threads and reply to comments in them? Like I'd prefer if this didn't turn into a mockthread because I don't think the comic is bad enough to warrant that. I gave up following the Homestuck thread millennia ago, but I assume it didn't stay positive and constantly buzzed as the Homestuck slid into it's awkward and divisive ending or post-ending nightmare, but also didn't morph into a mock thread or hate thread etc. (Gunnerkrigg isn't on the disappoint/bad level as Homestuck, either, imo but that's the closest equivalent I can think of right now.)

I do think somethings the comments here get a bit weird. Like no, we don't need to speculate or joke on if COVID Brainworms is feeding some decline. We don't need to psychoanalyze an author or infer extreme political commentary based on very uncharitable readings of individual pages. I'm not looking at this thread every day or always feel up to calling out weird poo poo when I see it, but like just speculating on what's happening, being annoyed or disappointed and venting, or trying to look on the bright side but losing optimism seem like normal things to discuss without getting crazy about poo poo.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

very uncharitable readings of individual pages

this better not be referring to the back alley rape thing

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

FWIW I'm in the "quiet but not because I like it" group, I gave up on reading it a few months ago and I haven't seen any reason to come back as I keep an eye on the thread here, especially after the whole sexual assault as a plot point pages.

And the one time I did try and load the comic the webpage didn't load and I feel like I dodged a very boring and dull (at best) bullet there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

this better not be referring to the back alley rape thing

I don't know what you mean by that. But you're welcome to click the ? under my posts to see that I didn't like the whole setup around Lana almost falling into the sexual peril trope if you need any clarification on my feelings there.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know what you mean by that. But you're welcome to click the ? under my posts to see that I didn't like the whole setup around Lana almost falling into the sexual peril trope if you need any clarification on my feelings there.

alright, i'm curious which uncharitable readings you're referring to then.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

alright, i'm curious which uncharitable readings you're referring to then.

I'm not going to pull up specific posts from months or weeks ago to start poo poo over them, but I found a couple around Annie and Jerrick/Loup as a couple being a bit extreme. Not the flippant ones about him being a blushing tsundere, the ones inferring Tom's feelings on relationship dynamics out of the possibility of Annie ending up with a technically-millennia-old godling. Around the elf boys and Lana, it felt a bit much to say Tom was deliberately doing a David Cage-style racist plot beat. I think reading into Tom's mental state from the comic is an unhealthy practice.

I don't know, there's probably some others if I think about it but I'm not keeping a list of every remark I find pushing it a bit far so that they can be reposted and rated at an unstated future date.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think reading into Tom's mental state from the comic is an unhealthy practice.

you're not wrong, but i would like to point out, he does a recap of every chapter and talks about it, and a lot of that comes directly from the words that he's actually said.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not going to pull up specific posts from months or weeks ago to start poo poo over them, but I found a couple around Annie and Jerrick/Loup as a couple being a bit extreme. Not the flippant ones about him being a blushing tsundere, the ones inferring Tom's feelings on relationship dynamics out of the possibility of Annie ending up with a technically-millennia-old godling. Around the elf boys and Lana, it felt a bit much to say Tom was deliberately doing a David Cage-style racist plot beat. I think reading into Tom's mental state from the comic is an unhealthy practice.

I don't know, there's probably some others if I think about it but I'm not keeping a list of every remark I find pushing it a bit far so that they can be reposted and rated at an unstated future date.

The whole thing about hate threads is that they attract the weirdest losers and encourage the worst possible goon behaviour, like classic early 2010s style stuff. It's just kinda gross.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

That was a very funny conversation.
"Why are people saying gunnerkrigg is bad now?"
*brief summary of past few chapters*
"That's not true"
"What parts aren't true?"
*crickets*

My favorite part was the accusations that people came to that thread to dunk on the comic like they were outsiders and not that people just read both threads.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’ll make inferences on the author’s view of relationships:

Basically every hetero relationship in Gunnerkrigg involves an emotionally/romantically active woman and an emotionally inert/passive like a loving rock man.

In this regard, Annie and Jerrek would be an exciting deviation :shepface:

Potsticker posted:

My favorite part was the accusations that people came to that thread to dunk on the comic like they were outsiders and not that people just read both threads.

Lack of object permanence, you hate to see it.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 27, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

you're not wrong, but i would like to point out, he does a recap of every chapter and talks about it, and a lot of that comes directly from the words that he's actually said.

I get that, and I don't see an issue with going "I remember he said on his commentary/twitter" etc. I'd accept that and not challenge it. I know that's a delicate balance too, because I wouldn't want people to go digging through all that for "dirt" or similar crap, either.

tired gay and dead posted:

The whole thing about hate threads is that they attract the weirdest losers and encourage the worst possible goon behaviour, like classic early 2010s style stuff. It's just kinda gross.

In a case like this, I want to believe most of it is people who are/were genuine fans processing the fact that the comic isn't hitting them the way it used to. Maybe some is over-correction because it felt like any non-positive comments were hard to make for a while? I'd just like to find a normal middle ground. This comic isn't so heinously bad that it deserves intense vitriol, and if a webcomic is getting you that worked up then it probably would be better to step back and not read it for a while or relax with some good comics, games, books, TV shows, or anything else since we live in an era of endlessly accessible entertainment options.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hot Take: Making fun of bad things being bad is fun. Some people gonna take it too far but then, that's little different than the toxic positivity that used to infest this thread where even the mildest critique invoked extreme umbrage.

Right now GKC inspires the same lol lmao energy as Blizzard. While in no way comparable to the degree of garbage that Blizzard is, GKC likewise continues to surprise with baffling directions and abortive story threads. And I do love bad surprises in 2022.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hot Take: Making fun of bad things being bad is fun. Some people gonna take it too far but then, that's little different than the toxic positivity that used to infest this thread where even the mildest critique invoked extreme umbrage.

I'm not in a position to disagree as far as making fun of bad things, but the parts of Gunnerkrigg I'm not liking are either parts I'd say are boring-not-bad and not really good riffing material, or poo poo I would rather not "make fun of" like the handling of parental abuse and neglect. I guess that line between boring/bad is something everyone draws in different places though.

e- actually correction the tracksuit cult thing is funny to me but I can't really process why

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 27, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not in a position to disagree as far as making fun of bad things, but the parts of Gunnerkrigg I'm not liking are either parts I'd say are boring-not-bad and not really good riffing material, or poo poo I would rather not "make fun of" like the handling of parental abuse and neglect. I guess that line between boring/bad is something everyone draws in different places though.

Pretty much yeah. I know some people enjoy making fun of Questionable Content but it is the amazing teflon comic for me as far as forming opinions goes. It's definitely bad but yeah.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I think my jokes come from an earnest frustration that I was getting very tired of the plodding pacing of the comic, and when it finally seemed like it was going to get a shot in the arm (with Loup going mad and attacking the Court) it sputtered back into the status quo of a lot of conversations and speculations shortly after, after undoing and minimizing all of the consequences. It kinda kills my confidence that there's a payoff to the setups, especially when years-long mysterious are casually explained to Annie offscreen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

One of my frustrations with how this comic has going is that Annie has become less and less the viewpoint character. We don't get a lot of insight into how she's experiencing these events or her thought process. And when we do, it's her staring at the reader to state things about her relationship with her father that seems artificial at best. We used to see the world through her eyes and now it's detached so much that this thread is full of wild speculation about what she's really up to and guessing that she's got some sort of scheme or she really knows that Jerrik is Loup, guys. But no, she's just as clueless as she seems. The comic is so into putting us in the middle of things and having characters learning and planning things off panel that it's like we were let out of the car a while ago and while we can still watch it drive around, we're no longer on the trip.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
the Dominic Deegan thread is actually a lot more pleasant than this one. I can't tell if that's because nobody there ever liked that comic or if YA attracts a special sort of hate.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

After chapters 79 and 80, in which, in rapid succession, Annie recombined with herself and then delivered a seven-page monologue about forgiving her father, made me consider the possibility that the story I thought I was reading was not the story that Tom was telling. A very enjoyable scenario came to an abrupt and understated end, and the only insight we gained into the interiority of the character involved is that she synthesized a new perspective on her trauma; the two events felt sudden individually, and the connection between them was tenuous as well. Subsequently I became more critical of the comic, reassessing it as how it is currently rather than letting its excellent past bring up the average. From then, I still liked it, though not as much as before, and more importantly I didn't really trust it any more.

Then there came a plot arc in which the villain's softer and more sympathetic side was to be revealed. The problem was that it began with a scene in which a naïve woman was placed in sexual peril by poor- and ethnically-coded assailants, all in service of characterizing a man. I really disliked that. At that time I decided I'd put the comic on hold for a bit, and wait for a chapter or three, or until I heard that there had been some credible attempt to walk that back a bit. I'm still waiting.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Potsticker posted:

The comic is so into putting us in the middle of things and having characters learning and planning things off panel that it's like we were let out of the car a while ago and while we can still watch it drive around, we're no longer on the trip.

This is a really good way of putting it. It feels like the comic has really lost its footing since it pulled further away from Annie's perspective.

Mimesweeper posted:

it's funny to me that i felt like talking about how it might look like a hate thread but there's probably just plenty of people who quietly like it, for example i like it but don't say anything cause i don't want conflict, and the comic is still pretty okay. and be met with "oh, well id like to see you argue that." "have you tried arguing it?" i mean, c'mon :v

I can't speak for anyone else but when I say that I'd like to hear people who like the comic talk about it, I'm not asking anyone to argue or debate. I'm just saying that I'd be happy to hear people say whatever they like about the page. If they feel like it, maybe they could share their perspective on why they're okay with whatever puzzling new development, but that's certainly not an obligation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think part of the reason it feels bad posting positive stuff in a less than happy thread is that due to the nature of threads sometimes things can be taken as replies or as in response to other, unrelated posts.

Like if someone posts "I liked the bit with Jerrick :geno:ing" and then someone else immediately posts "The Jerrick/Annie thing is gross" then the latter can seem like a direct "no gently caress you comic's gross" reply. Similarly if it's posted the other way around then it can seem like the positive poster is trying to refute the other poster with a complete non-sequitor, which is going to net a nasty response. So the thread can end up reading (or being) a lot more hostile than the people in it actually feel towards each other.