Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this says more about her than it does him, unless she’s being ironic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is surprising that they would bother to amend this code thing, who's gonna make people resign? I would have just ignored it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Scikar posted:

So, serious question: "shin fane" is obviously the English approximation and a lot of people saying it that way have no interest in or respect for the pronunciation in Irish. But for people who do, shouldn't it be more like "shin fayun"?

At some point there's a line between Irish English accent (which is weird for an English person to copy) and Irish Gaelic vowel sounds (which as a separate language we would normally at least make some effort, e.g. "En Marche", "Die Linke") and I honestly don't know where that line is here.

watch the reruns of old corrie on itv3 until you can imitate Jim McDonald perfectly imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
UHLUZUBUUUUUUUUUUTH

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
really though who cares so long as you make some effort and don't behave like some americans who insist it should be pronounced warsesstershyare

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's increasingly funny that one of Lindsay Hoyle's first actions as Speaker was to crack down on the dress code in the Commons.

Boris is a criminal, who's lied to the Commons, interfered with an independent inquiry into what he did wrong and had the brother of one of his minions be put in charge of the police investigation into what he did wrong, but by jove he'll be wearing appropriate attire when he and his gakked-up gang of cunts harrumph incoherently about how we should all just move on.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The guy that played Jim Mcdonald is on Twitter, and like his Corrie character he's a big flag shagging gammon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not sure what to think about this new tinfoil jubilee portrait of the queen but Jonathan Jones went out of his way to hate it in someone else's article so I'm going with "good actually, and his house should be wallpapered with it."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Not sure what to think about this new tinfoil jubilee portrait of the queen but Jonathan Jones went out of his way to hate it in someone else's article so I'm going with "good actually, and his house should be wallpapered with it."

What if the queen was a disco elysium character

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

The guy that played Jim Mcdonald is on Twitter, and like his Corrie character he's a big flag shagging gammon.

there is a pub called the prince albert in east belfast and i have never anyone smoking outside it who hasn't been wearing either triple denim or trackies

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
something you don't see anymore is old men wearing suits and trainers

or old ladies with headscarves on

or wearing those little fleecey shoes that zipped up the front, those seemed very practical imo

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

crispix posted:

there is a pub called the prince albert in east belfast and i have never anyone smoking outside it who hasn't been wearing either triple denim or trackies

Conceptually I understand (and wear) double denim. What’s the third accoutrement?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
jeans/shirt/jacket

quadruple denim gets into the metaphysical realm

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guavanaut posted:

jeans/shirt/jacket

quadruple denim gets into the metaphysical realm

Is that where hats live?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hats are very metaphysical. Imagine if Corbyn wore a trilby and Galloway wore a Breton cap :gonk:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1529920153642749958/photo/1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Vote for Paul Bickerdike

crispix posted:

ah nivur tuched them weemin

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
MY NAME IS CRIXPIC AND YOU SHULD VOAT FOR ME AS YOU ARE POLATISHIN I HAVE NEVER:

PUT ANYTHING UP MY BUM

EVER

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wait: it's bad that the Tories defend sex offenders and promote sex for rewards; meanwhile the other parties are worse, but I won't tell you why?

Might I hazard a guess that Paul Bickerdike is either a UKIP candidate or a member of a far-right Christian weirdo party?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Obviously the "doth protest too much" first line about noncing is getting a lot of attention but the fact he seems to think we'll all know who Janet is is definitely a great punchline.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

or a member of a far-right Christian weirdo party?
ding ding ding

Christian Peoples Alliance

Same beliefs as the Taliban except for hating Muslims.

e: ^^^ She's a woman and she has his last name. What more do you need to know? She's obviously not going to be some radical third wave lesbian feminist with a job or something.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 27, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1530232564119502848

:allears:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lol the one thing I like about Boris is his complete abandonment of kayfabe the second he might be in trouble.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Are we allowed to openly say the F word yet, or are the majority still in denial about it? Because I think we've passed a defining point now.

Boris knew he had no defence to the party scandals, so once he manipulated and obstructed the investigations by both the police and Gray, he's now simply just changed the rules so that they don't apply to him. We have a literal manbaby dictator at the helm, and to be honest, what's stopping him holding onto power post 2024, especially if people loyal to him control ... well.... the country? And besides, what is anyone going to do about it? What's that? You'll protest? Oh boy, do I have news for you....

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fuctifino posted:

Are we allowed to openly say the F word yet, or are the majority still in denial about it? Because I think we've passed a defining point now.

Boris knew he had no defence to the party scandals, so once he manipulated and obstructed the investigations by both the police and Gray, he's now simply just changed the rules so that they don't apply to him. We have a literal manbaby dictator at the helm, and to be honest, what's stopping him holding onto power post 2024, especially if people loyal to him control ... well.... the country? And besides, what is anyone going to do about it? What's that? You'll protest? Oh boy, do I have news for you....

Yeah honestly today's news feels really bleak despite it not making that big of a splash. It's just so blatant. He has decided to go full mask off, and from now on he does whatever he wants. Even if we had a real opposition again at some point down the line what the hell are they or anyone else supposed to do in the face of this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

what's stopping him holding onto power post 2024
Other worse people with access to equal power. Or at the best less bad people with access to more power.

Oh poo poo it's going to be

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think we're just at autocracy or oligarchy rather than fascism. National pride is a driving force of fascism, not just a cover for the ruling classes incompetence and crimes.

Fascism wants to do big things, like exterminate underclasses or restore empires, the Tories just want to live out hedonistic individual power fantasies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe this is the 'then as farce' version of that. Big nation building projects by big brain wranglers can as easily be a Trans-Siberian Railway or a Panama Canal as a pogrom, and we're due another crack at "bridge to Ulster (actually not over 50,000 rusting artillery shells this time)"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

*extremely close to mic* Paul Bikerdick

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fascism would require you to believe in something other than self preservation. And while some of the Tories lean that way, I think Johnson is motivated only by clinging to power.

Yes, I am un-ironically invoking The Big Lebowski.

Look at the conversion therapy thing - they promised it for years because it was popular.then they u-turned because they didn't actually care. Then they immediately u-turned back because everyone yelled at them. Its government by press-release.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
bikerdicks from mars, says he

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The river was deep but I swam it (Janet)
The future is ours so let's plan it (Janet)
So please don't tell me to can it (Janet)
I've one thing to say and that's
Dammit, Janet, I love you never touched them kids

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Failed Imagineer posted:

The river was deep but I swam it (Janet)
The future is ours so let's plan it (Janet)
So please don't tell me to can it (Janet)
I've one thing to say and that's
Dammit, Janet, I love you never touched them kids

Oh my God I haven't thought of this song for a year and it just landed fully formed back in my brain. Guess I'll go watch Rocky Horror then!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

namesake posted:

I think we're just at autocracy or oligarchy rather than fascism. National pride is a driving force of fascism, not just a cover for the ruling classes incompetence and crimes.

Fascism wants to do big things, like exterminate underclasses or restore empires, the Tories just want to live out hedonistic individual power fantasies.

Good news about what the Tories are currently doing then. Because as we speak, hundreds of thousands of people are struggling to even get enough food to eat and the big plan is to ship undesirables to Rwanda. Underclasses are being exterminated, empires are being restored.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Good news about what the Tories are currently doing then. Because as we speak, hundreds of thousands of people are struggling to even get enough food to eat and the big plan is to ship undesirables to Rwanda. Underclasses are being exterminated, empires are being restored.

Nah that's just the usual uncaring Tory capitalism.

Maybe Patel is a bit fash though. And a few others, but none of the other big names I think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd argue that we're in a state of volatile proto-fascism. Black was correct in her speech, but that doesn't mean we're in the full grasp of late 1930s Germany or Italy. Closer than we should be, but not yet close to beyond the precipice.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe this is the 'then as farce' version of that. Big nation building projects by big brain wranglers can as easily be a Trans-Siberian Railway or a Panama Canal as a pogrom, and we're due another crack at "bridge to Ulster (actually not over 50,000 rusting artillery shells this time)"

This is the Tories, it'll have to be Cis-Siberian

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm not sure how anyone would be able to look at this loving island for more than five seconds without seeing an underclass being exterminated.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I do not know how close to fascism we are, though I suspect in reality it is less fascism we're moving towards than just your bog standard authoritarian kleptocracy.

I've been watching Al Jazira this morning and they were covering the murder of a schizophrenic man in Brazil by the highway police. Stuck him in the back of their van with some sort of smoke generating device while holding down the door until his legs stopped moving. It's hosed, the whole time they are being filmed & do not give a poo poo. Apparently Rio police killed 1,600 people in 2021. Absolute loving psychos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ql6tGu9aWg

close the country we're done