Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I would avoid AWKCR / Armorsmith Extended these days and go with Equipment and Crafting Overhaul instead.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/55503

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah AWKCR got feature creeped into bad mod territory and there's newer stuff that does what it does but cleaner and better, like ECO posted above.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
well next time I restart I'll give that a try, thanks :)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Been watching someone's Frost Permadeath videos on YubTub, and it's making me want to try it, but I don't necessarily want the perma/full FallSouls ball-smashing; can it be denatured a bit, to be harder than vanilla but not murderously so?

I'm getting motion-sick just watching the videos, but dude's pretty twitchy and I haven't FPS'd for a bit, so I suspect after a few times playing I'd be OK.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

Been watching someone's Frost Permadeath videos on YubTub, and it's making me want to try it, but I don't necessarily want the perma/full FallSouls ball-smashing; can it be denatured a bit, to be harder than vanilla but not murderously so?

I'm getting motion-sick just watching the videos, but dude's pretty twitchy and I haven't FPS'd for a bit, so I suspect after a few times playing I'd be OK.

I wonder if unlimited survival would work

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26163

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

If it was vanilla/not a total conversion, possibly.

Actually went to Nexus and looked at Frost. Holy poo poo that's a lot of required mods... and a common refrain of "if <something> doesn't work, you hosed up the install".

Still might go for it, as it does look a hell of a lot more interesting than Yet Another Modded But Everything Is Still Where It Always Is run.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

True. I did see this though

Zygster's Frost Mod Startup Stash

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28791

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I would avoid AWKCR / Armorsmith Extended these days and go with Equipment and Crafting Overhaul instead.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/55503

This mod is legit, thanks

I've been putting together a mod loadout for my latest run, and digging through every page of armor and clothing on the Nexus for any hidden gems and I am wildly surprised at a total lack of any really good period fashion. Plenty of modern, out of place styles and sensibilities, but a desert for anything that -fits-

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah clothing mods are pretty much all either tactilol, anime, or mad max. It sucks.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Watch more of those Frost videos and yeah, it's the dude's overcaffeinated squirrel spasming while searching rooms and/or just twitching around while yammering on being the cause of my motion sickness.

Also, it looks like there's a decent (if limited) selection of additional mods to add... and bunch of Modern Tactical/Russian poo poo that I'm going to ignore entirely.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ygolonac posted:

Watch more of those Frost videos and yeah, it's the dude's overcaffeinated squirrel spasming while searching rooms and/or just twitching around while yammering on being the cause of my motion sickness.

Also, it looks like there's a decent (if limited) selection of additional mods to add... and bunch of Modern Tactical/Russian poo poo that I'm going to ignore entirely.

Are you watching Many A True Nerd's playthrough of Frost? Can't say I recall him being spastic; he's usually more of a Perception -1 kinda player

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prolly watching.rycon roleplays

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Prolly watching.rycon roleplays

Came across his Dust playthrough and watched a random bit of one

I like that his reaction to entering a room full of ants was to quietly turn around and go back out as if nothing had happened

But yes, that was a bit much to watch him twitching every which way; I don't really get motion-sick, but I can see how that'd be hard for some to watch (although I do like his voice)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Nah, The Wanderer's Frost+ Permadeath playlist.

This starts right as he goes into Mass Bay Medical Center, and the whole spinning and kinda flailing around looking for enemies and loot just murdered my equilibrium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-H9jPxPXU&t=2499s

I'll look into making some drive space for all this later this weekend.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

I'll look into making some drive space for all this later this weekend.

Be glad you don't have my clothing collecting habit which makes my fallout 4 take up around 400gb.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

cheesetriangles posted:

Be glad you don't have my clothing collecting habit which makes my fallout 4 take up around 400gb.

I was nowhere near that, but I did have a few "loads of clothes" mods like Elianora's "three hundred t-shirts and daisy dukes and so forth".

Some stuff, I'll miss, unless I manage to wedge it in.

Of course, "pretty" doesn't really fit Frost - it looks to put the "post-apocalyptic" into "post-apocalyptic game"; although from some of the questions I saw on Nexus, people are still making it M.A.P.S. (Masturbation Assistance Perversion Simulator).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

I was nowhere near that, but I did have a few "loads of clothes" mods like Elianora's "three hundred t-shirts and daisy dukes and so forth".

Some stuff, I'll miss, unless I manage to wedge it in.

Of course, "pretty" doesn't really fit Frost - it looks to put the "post-apocalyptic" into "post-apocalyptic game"; although from some of the questions I saw on Nexus, people are still making it M.A.P.S. (Masturbation Assistance Perversion Simulator).

Ooo, can you link whatever that is?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Are there any ENBs that match the look and feel that Rudy does for Skyrim?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Arivia posted:

Ooo, can you link whatever that is?

That would be the Evil Detective Mesh Replacer, which I was using on the Evil Detective Synth Arm(or) for the arm. Trawling through the mods back then, spotted that image and said GIVE ME THAT.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah AWKCR got feature creeped into bad mod territory and there's newer stuff that does what it does but cleaner and better, like ECO posted above.

What did they add recently that turned it bad? I haven't played Fallout 4 in a while and I want to know.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MJ12 posted:

What did they add recently that turned it bad? I haven't played Fallout 4 in a while and I want to know.

Probably not recent, but last time I tried it, it gave every enemy these decals or something that you could then put on your armor. While not offensive they were items that went in your inventory and it's just unnecessary item bloat in game with a lot junk items to begin with.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout: London intro

Featuring the voices of Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker as the scientists

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Frost install update - finally got around to getting everything downloaded and installed - hopefully correctly, but the latest install guide is either assuming I know more about where some of the needed bits go, or they don't really matter in the priority/loadorder. <shrug>

But, load in. Get to the terminal for final character creation and modification. Go to change my face a bit more. Camera shows my face, then flips back to first person :wtf:. Oh well, just doing function tests, I can fix stuff later, right?

Pick a start. Wake up in a basement with some shite loot, and an Advanced safe that I can't touch without bobby pins, which are not present. (Also, I'm level 1 with no perks, so LOL. Equip my janky junk and head outside.

KRRRRAAAAK-BOOM! Followed by lots of excited clicking. And about a 10% health loss. Radstorm, of course.

Over the course of a couple tries, I figured out I'm SW of Saugus Ironworks, north-ish from the Super Mutant-infested suburb and right near that bunker you take Danse to in vanilla.

Try 1: wander south, eating rads, until I get to a radio repeater station. See some rad-deer, and decide I need XP so I go to shank 'em with my switchblade. (Told you the loot was shite.) Manage to kill one after a long chase, all the way to that lil' suburb... with no Super Mutants, being a lot earlier than vanilla.

Lots of ghouls, though. Fun Frost Fact: ghouls *require* headshots to kill.

(Also, that have a radiation aura.)

I've got a stick switchblade.

:suicide:

Try #2: nay, gently caress going out in the radstorm. Loiter in the basement until it's almost entirely gone, and head north-ish. Avoid that bunker, especially as I'm still level one with a shank, and I'm pretty sure there's turrets and at least one robot there. (Also, the area is radioactive.) Spot Saugus and stay well away. Get near the Slog and hey, what's the music changOH poo poo ghoulswarmed.

Definitely not vanilla.

Probably going to start adding in some more mods tonight, try to get closer to The Wanderer's setup - at the very least, add more starting locations because his start was down near Bunker Hill, Valenti Station and the entrance to Downtown. (There's also one up on the freeway near Boston proper, and a poo poo-ton of loot on dead bodies, which I kinda think I want because the switch isn't cutting it (as it were) against six ferals at a time.

(There's also a start that requires you to swim through radioactive water to get to the door - not sure where that ends up - and one that drops you in the Glowing Sea.)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

is the OP still accurate in terms of preferred tools (e.g. MO2)?

I haven't modded in like 5 years

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MO2, xEdit, and F4SE are still very much the preferred tools. It is worth checking out Wabbajack for a handy installer that will download and install an entire mod list for you. There's a few for FO4 in various flavors.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
More screwing around with Frost/Frost Plus over the weekend. Managed to get from the starting basement south to the Silver Shamrock mask factory Lucky Charms Containment Zone Irish Pride shipyard, where I managed to sneak-shank a wolf! :black101:

The other three in the area, not so much. :ohdear:

Wandered east until I got to the bridge near the wrecked reactor area, crossed over and ended up badly injured and crippled... but took out the outside guard and attack dog at the Drug Den. Died a bunch inside and decided to let it wait, then died more to a single guy in a buffalo-head gas mask at the next bridge going to the USS Constitution area. Outwaited him finally, checked out the area for loot (and IEDs, more deaths), then crept on over to Bunker Hill, where The Wanderer's playthroughs were starting.

And just like him, I got there to find US Army Remnants murdering all the survivors. Unlike him, there were *two* - combat armor and a rocket launcher, and a full T-60 Power Armor dude with a Fat Man.

And at least six rounds of ammo for it.

OH NO I HAVE ACCIDENTALLY TYPOED AND OPENED THE CONSOLE AND PRESSED TGM AND RETURN.

Since I'm mainly loving around getting used to the FO4 control scheme, I'm cool with it. Just have to get my Fallout skills back, because I keep trying to do Red Dead things. (I also need to fix other things, like not being able to fill empty bottles with filthy water to boil, Travis running his mouth over the radio, and other references to "the great green jewel of the Commonwealth".)

Oh, and sneaking over to yoink that power armor along the waterfront that I saw in the video? Looks like a nice suit, complete.

Probably not stripped for parts because of the Master terminal locking it up, so LOL more serious protection (damage and radiation), more carry weight, and a *light*.

What's really needed is a bolt-throwing distraction like in STALKER... edit: Tactical Distraction System, and it was even made for Frost originally! More downloading!

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 6, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MJ12 posted:

"Recent" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here because it was years ago, but it just got feature creeped into instability. A lot of random little things like the aforementioned decal system made compatibility a giant hassle for other modders, which kinda killed the project since the whole point of it was to act as a massive compatibility plugin for weapon and armor mods. It was also coded in the early days of FO4 before anyone had a real good handle on the engine so its full of bad practices that make it way more resource intensive and crash prone than it should be.

In retrospect I'd hesitate to say it got Bad or whatever, it just aged out and got superseded as Bethgames mods tend to do.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

So does this mod need others mods to work? It seems like this is telling me two different things.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yaws posted:

So does this mod need others mods to work? It seems like this is telling me two different things.

The first line tells you that that mod does not need a prerequisite to work. The second line and after are telling you mods that need the one you are currently LOOKING AT in order to work themselves, in turn.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Saw this today

RIFLES: ReBIRTH by Skibadaa
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/61325?tab=files

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Hello Thread, after years I wanted to replay FO4 with the Horizon mod.

I used mod organizer, downloaded Horizon and the texture pack and tried to set up the load order as suggested on the nexus page. The mod comes with an UI modifier thats supposed to give everything Icons.
However, this does not work for me. I already tried reinstalling the mod, enabling the fallout4.ini stuff for "loose files" etc.

Nothing I do works and its frustrating me. Anyone have an idea what is going wrong here? I have all dlcs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What are some good modded companions to take to the dlc areas?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heather now has Nuka World quests (she reacts extremely poorly to you palling around with raiders) and I think she also has Far Harbor stuff as well. She's one of the best modded companions in general, so take her everywhere.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

and I think she also has Far Harbor stuff as well.

She absolutely does. Provided her affinity is high enough, you can give her your dead spouse's ring and get married, then spend your honeymoon at various Far Harbor locales.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

Hello Thread, after years I wanted to replay FO4 with the Horizon mod.

I used mod organizer, downloaded Horizon and the texture pack and tried to set up the load order as suggested on the nexus page. The mod comes with an UI modifier thats supposed to give everything Icons.
However, this does not work for me. I already tried reinstalling the mod, enabling the fallout4.ini stuff for "loose files" etc.

Nothing I do works and its frustrating me. Anyone have an idea what is going wrong here? I have all dlcs.

There is a bunch of really confusing information out there about proper load order for Horizon, but the guide on the wiki is pretty solid. If you can't get it working based on that, you should ask on the Horizon discord. The community there is pretty responsive in the support channel.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any advice for getting this to run in widescreen? I've had an itch to play FO4 for a while now, but I can never seem to get it to work right with my widescreen monitor. All of the mods fixing this issue seem out of date and broken, and I never could seem to get the ini stuff working properly.

Edit: Well, nevermind, messing with the ini seems to be... good enough. Scopes are busted and don't look right, and the UI is a little weird in certain areas, but at least the window is the size of the screen.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 23, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

Any advice for getting this to run in widescreen? I've had an itch to play FO4 for a while now, but I can never seem to get it to work right with my widescreen monitor. All of the mods fixing this issue seem out of date and broken, and I never could seem to get the ini stuff working properly.

Edit: Well, nevermind, messing with the ini seems to be... good enough. Scopes are busted and don't look right, and the UI is a little weird in certain areas, but at least the window is the size of the screen.
It ran fine in 16:9 last time I played, with no fiddling required? :confused:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I believe they mean ultrawide. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24630 This mod will give you what you want. Can be combined with the excellent Fall UI series as well.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Speaking of Fall UI.
I just picked up FO4VR and went through a reddit minimalistic modding page on all the best VR mods, which Fall was on there.
But I have spent hours trying to get it to work only for any pip boy interactions to either ctd the game or simply not show me any inventory.
Reinstall after reinstall of the mods and checking and double checking that I edited the ini right.
Is there any other UI mod that would work well in VR instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Trying Enhanced Edition now that I'm done with Magnum Opus.

What's the best mod to let you save whenever in Survival mode? I like the other stuff Survival adds but I will never tolerate save restrictions in a Bethesda game.

edit:nvm found one

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 25, 2022