Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I walked out of TLJ kinda ambivalent... I didn't hate it; I liked it a lot more than Awakens; and it's better than Rise... but in the weeks after seeing it I just kinda started feeling down about Star Wars in general, and sold all of the Star Wars merchandise I'd accumulated over the years. Other than Rise (had to see how it ended?) I've had no interest in any of the franchise since then either.

Despite my general distaste at Awakens, it still has the best scene in the sequels with the Kylo/Rey/Finn snow fight at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Insane to me that Disney sold ad and sponsor spots for this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do we get any tangible news today or is it all just cosplay contests and poo poo?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

Kylo Ren, a child murdering genocidal nazi, foreclosed the possibility of redemption forever by killing Han Solo, from Star Wars

Except he was then redeemed in the following movie. But the Disney movies are so ludicrously disparate that we can’t even pretend they’re supposed to relate to each other at all.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

TLJ has huge problems with actively refusing to establish overall stakes and goals even implicitly, even worse than TFA did. And TRoS, lol, lmao.

The goal was for everyone to not die, and the stakes were that everyone might die. It’s a pretty big part of the movie!

quote:

That's basically what Luke "learns" in the film. He's sulking at the island because he's got remorse for failing as a teacher and pushing Kylo over the edge. Then he just accepts that poo poo happens and that Kylo cannot be redeemed which "rejuvenates" him (he chooses to appear younger to Kylo and the others - weird choice since it could alert Kylo that he's not really there) and just goes to gently caress with Kylo.

Luke learns that his failure to save Kylo doesn’t mean that he should give up on the Jedi, which can still be a force for good if people who can fight, do. It has nothing to do with Kyle being irredeemable, and the film explicitly shows that Kyle is in fact not irredeemable (see his hesitation to blow up Leia)

quote:

The premise is that Luke Skywalker is a messianic figure, an agent of God, who Leia predicts will inevitably arrive and singlehandedly fix everything. Luke himself even comments on how stupid that premise is - but that’s what they call a “lampshade”. And then the entire basic reversal is that this stupid belief ends up being ‘true’.

Luke doesn’t actually single-handedly fix anything. He exploits Kyle’s inability to let go of the past to buy time for the heroes to escape. They escape because they don’t give up hope and keep trying to save lives instead of making a pointless last stand.

quote:

Take the line “let the past die”, and mush it up with the salt-fox imagery, and you can claim that - by following the foxes into the cave away from Luke - the resistance is “letting the past die”, and this is some kind of ‘deep’ statement on something or other (failure versus hope?). You can also conclude the opposite, because all it’s so thoroughly decontextualized. Maybe the foxes represent the past, since it’s good that they don’t die?

Letting the past die is the villains thesis and the movie takes pains to reject it in basically every way it can. TLJ is in fact an extremely nostalgic film - probably to its own detriment, in the end. I am so loving confused by the number of people who think TLJ has any interest in letting the past die. The climax hinges on Kylo Ren not being able to let the past die!

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 27, 2022

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Robot Style posted:

Hayden Christensen is the same age now as Vader is in A New Hope. I wonder if Disney would ever sneakily update his ghost in ROTJ now that they have him around...

lol that would require effort.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grendels Dad posted:

lol that would require effort.

...more than the effort of producing five movies, five seasons of live action TV and four seasons of animated TV?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TheLoquid posted:

Luke learns that his failure to save Kylo doesn’t mean that he should give up on the Jedi, which can still be a force for good if people who can fight, do. It has nothing to do with Kyle being irredeemable, and the film explicitly shows that Kyle is in fact not irredeemable (see his hesitation to blow up Leia)

I agree with this for what it's worth, I think the kylo is irredeemable reading gets reduced to absurdity for a variety of reasons. But that just brings us back full circle to what started this whole conversation: in this movie about learning from your failures, what was rey's failure and what did she learn?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

stev posted:

...more than the effort of producing five movies, five seasons of live action TV and four seasons of animated TV?

I made that comment because... have you looked at some of that poo poo?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheLoquid posted:

Letting the past die is the villains thesis and the movie takes pains to reject it in basically every way it can. TLJ is in fact an extremely nostalgic film - probably to its own detriment, in the end. I am so loving confused by the number of people who think TLJ has any interest in letting the past die. The climax hinges on Kylo Ren not being able to let the past die!

Rey and Luke are both stuck in the past and the resolution of their respective conflicts (such as one exists at all for Rey) is moving on from their past (lost parents/wanting to murder nephew for thoughtcrime). You might say that they let their past die, though this is only necessary so that they can become better soldiers for Leia’s unpopular bid to restore the republic.

And, of course, the movie ends with the embodied avatar of the past dying to save the future of the resistance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

"some people can't be saved" is a wild take about a series specifically about redeeming darth vader.

Yes and that’s why Rey failed. The goal of Kylo, I thought was they weren’t doing someone who was being pushed to the light but to the dark. A full on evil maniac.

Didn’t happen but that’s what I thought it was setting up

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Disney has only one idea and one idea only:

Baby character that our main character has to protect

holy poo poo. You're right. That's "Bad Batch" as well.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Give me ALL the STAR WARS. WILL WATCH EVERYTHING DISNEY+ THEATRICAL SPECIAL EDITION SPECIAL SPECIAL EDITION SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL gently caress YOU THIS ISN'T THE SAME MOVIE ANYMORE EDITION-- GIVE IT ALL TO ME. 100 YEARS STAR WARS STAR WARS TO MY loving EYEBALLS A FEATURE LENGTH MOVIE OF WATTO TAKING A poo poo. GIVE. ME. HONDO WHITE WALLING A STORAGE CRATE WITH SPACE CUM AND GOING ON AN ADVENTURE TO FIND A SUFFICIENTLY USEFUL CLEANING AGENT. GREENLIGHT IT NOW. THE KAMINOAN STARRING ANYA TAYLOR JOY AS A GALACTIC POP SUPERSTAR RIPPING OFF BJORK SONGS IN AN ALIEN LANGUAGE [AS IF ICELANDIC ISN'T ALIEN ENOUGH]. THE METHUSELIAN FEATURING GROGU TAKING ON SITH ETERNAL ISIS LEADING DIRECTLY TO EPISODES X, XI, AND XII ABOUT WATTO'S GREAT GRANDSON'S EPIC QUEST TO FIND A DECENT PLACE TO TAKE A poo poo BC IT'S LIKE POETRY IT RHYMES.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

holy poo poo. You're right. That's "Bad Batch" as well.

Disney is run by every marketing department I've been a part of. Lone Wolf and Cub worked with Mandelorian, what else can we do this with?!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

Disney is run by every marketing department I've been a part of. Lone Wolf and Cub worked with Mandelorian, what else can we do this with?!

Bad Batch even has the 'one of the good guys has turned bad, can they get him to be good again?'

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Bad Batch child was annoying at first but did get better. So there’s hope here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

The Bad Batch child was annoying at first but did get better. So there’s hope here.

Really? That's good to hear because I'm five episodes in and she's just awful so far. Not the character itself so much but the acting and animation are both bizarrely bad when every other character feels so smooth.

These Star Wars animated shows have never gotten the hang of kids. They're all creepy little dolls right from the start of Clone Wars.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I agree with this for what it's worth, I think the kylo is irredeemable reading gets reduced to absurdity for a variety of reasons. But that just brings us back full circle to what started this whole conversation: in this movie about learning from your failures, what was rey's failure and what did she learn?

I don’t really think her arc is best understood as learning from failure as much as it is her being repeatedly disillusioned but not giving up on her core beliefs. Her arc is really more of a test of faith.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheLoquid posted:

You can interpret it that way. You can also interpret it the exact other way, with a key point in the film being Yoda killing the past with lightning bolts, freeing Luke from his guilt.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

stev posted:

Really? That's good to hear because I'm five episodes in and she's just awful so far. Not the character itself so much but the acting and animation are both bizarrely bad when every other character feels so smooth.

These Star Wars animated shows have never gotten the hang of kids. They're all creepy little dolls right from the start of Clone Wars.

I liked kid Boba Fett.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I was dumb to think The Book Of Boba would've been about Omega finding her brother, realizing he's an evil crimelord, and taking him down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah that's quite the imagination you've got

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lol i had hope for the kenobi series but of course it has to have a precocious leia in it

fool me once......

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

lol i had hope for the kenobi series but of course it has to have a precocious leia in it

fool me once......

How many does that make now...

Obi-Wan and Luke
Qui-Gon and Anakin
Anakin and Ahsoka
Kanan and Ezra
Han and Rey
Yeager and Kaz
Cere and Cal
Bad Batch and Omega
Din and Grogu

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheLoquid posted:

Luke doesn’t actually single-handedly fix anything. He exploits Kyle’s inability to let go of the past to buy time for the heroes to escape. They escape because they don’t give up hope and keep trying to save lives instead of making a pointless last stand.

Well, you know what a messiah is, right?

Luke sacrifices himself to save everyone, and then his ‘holy spirit’ is passed on to his followers, who emerge from a cave reborn with ‘everything they need’ - a belief in the Nice Force and a drawer full of bibles.

Luke himself literally calls it a spiritual rebirth, and it was more-or-less what Leia and Holdo had expected from the beginning. The whole thing where Leia sent Rey out to the Ireland planet was retconned into a desperate attempt at contacting Luke before they are all obliterated.

But this is not just a ‘rational’ means of reducing casualties, because that ignores why there are casualties at all.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Vinylshadow posted:

How many does that make now...

Obi-Wan and Luke
Qui-Gon and Anakin
Anakin and Ahsoka
Kanan and Ezra
Han and Rey
Yeager and Kaz
Cere and Cal
Bad Batch and Omega
Din and Grogu

i feel like that article about how they reshot the series to be less dark and depressing was meaning to add in the leia stuff.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In an act of caprice, I've decided that I will watch the Obi-wan show and I'll write up each episode. I've already done 1 and 2 and I can only assume my petulent whining for George Lucas to come back will increase over the four remaining episodes. Also wow that's not many episodes.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

josh04 posted:

In an act of caprice, I've decided that I will watch the Obi-wan show and I'll write up each episode. I've already done 1 and 2 and I can only assume my petulent whining for George Lucas to come back will increase over the four remaining episodes. Also wow that's not many episodes.

I enjoyed your Invincible review so looking forward to it!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

i feel like that article about how they reshot the series to be less dark and depressing was meaning to add in the leia stuff.

In my experience, reshoots to make things "less dark" just mean changing nighttime scenes to take place during the day because studio executives are incredibly dumb. The Leia stuff is a big enough aspect of the show that it seems unlikely they'd do such a complete overhaul.

Though the number of credited writers on each episode does make me wonder what was leftover from earlier versions of the story. Apparently the first three episodes and the last episode contain elements from Stuart Beattie and Hossein Amini's versions of the story, while Joby Harold, Hannah Friedman, and Andrew Stanton came up with the stuff in episodes 4 and 5.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

stev posted:

The Luke we see in TLJ exists in the context of the prequels. He set out to restore and rebuild an abusive political warrior cult - and the only guidance he really had was the from supporters of that cult and Youngling Killer 3000. The dude learned the wrong lessons, got in over his head and hosed up in a big way. He then regretted and tried to atone.

I don't see how any of that is bad or out of line with the Luke of the OT.

Agree 100%. Luke's whole thing in the OT is walking right up the edge of the Dark side but then using his connections with friends, family, etc to resist doing something unforgivable like his father did. Those relationships are what center him in the positive side of the Force, despite the erroneous belief of the Jedi that they are the slippery slope to corruption. So when he faces a similar dilemma with increasingly corrupted Ben Solo (and we have no reason to doubt Luke's perception of this, especially since Ren doesn't deny being tempted by Snoke during his time at Luke's school), it makes sense that he would freak the gently caress out and nearly drat himself by attempting to preemptively avert the galaxy being plunged into darkness yet again.

Except in this case his (rightful) hesitation causes the turmoil and conflict he wanted to prevent, his nascent revitalization of the Jedi gets cratered, and oh by the way good luck telling your sister and best friend it's your fault that their kid ran off to become the new holy terror figurehead of the fascist remnant. Of course Luke would go on a wild goose chase to try and find some ancient knowledge to save the day, and then become despondent that the teachings of a moribund religious order can't tell him anything useful.

It's very unfortunate that Hamill (and the powers that be at Disney) has basically disowned TLJ at every turn, given that his performance in it was great from start to finish. It was pretty much the only thing I was interested in seeing develop in the third one, but of course they dumpstered it and are now doing everything possible to memoryhole it. Give it another 10 years of shows and I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned TLJ Luke to be a clone or a projection of the dark side cave or whatever.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
He was also responsible for the other kids/young adults under his tutelage and he didn’t tell their parents poo poo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

josh04 posted:

I liked these, please post them when you do them!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The WWII analogy from this video does a good job of demonstrating just how nuts the conflict became in the sequels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgbt9UDvmXw&t=341s

This was really interesting, thank you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That video is broadly correct about how insane this all is, but misses the fact that the First Order ultimately wins everything.

They soundly defeat the New Republic partway through Episode 7, and then crush a mysterious third faction (what we might call the Neo-Empire) at the end of Episode 9.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Leia kidnapping was rumored all the way back when it was going to be a movie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If Obi-wan and Leia are directly interacting in this show, doesn't it make her message in A New Hope even weirder? It already didn't quite fit the prequels since he didn't directly serve Bail but now it should be like "Hey Obi-wan, poo poo's hosed, could you help a girl out again?"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shiroc posted:

If Obi-wan and Leia are directly interacting in this show, doesn't it make her message in A New Hope even weirder? It already didn't quite fit the prequels since he didn't directly serve Bail but now it should be like "Hey Obi-wan, poo poo's hosed, could you help a girl out again?"
She doesn't remember that Obi helped her out, just some guy named Larry

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shiroc posted:

It does the same trick the PT did with anything anyone in the OT said about it. When Leia is rescued Luke says "Ben Kenobi" is with them, and Leia immediately perks up "Ben Kenobi, where is he?!" - OFC she doesn't remember a general obi-wan kenobi, but she remembers a Ben who saved her rear end once :)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hot drat, this Obiwan show is terrible. Just bland cinematography, expository score, and leaden pacing.

The initial kid Leia scenes sometimes approach Ewok-movie kitsch quality, but the bulk is straight amateur hour. Avoid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Despite my general distaste at Awakens, it still has the best scene in the sequels with the Kylo/Rey/Finn snow fight at the end.
The lightsaber fight scene at the end of TFA was the best thing to come out of the Disney trilogy imo. I still remember the audience going crazy when Rey grabbed the lightsaber with the Force. And the part where Kylo burns Finn's shoulder with his lightsaber still gives me chills.