Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

The Grumbles posted:

Although a couple of them - the 'steam streaming speakers' for example - I probably still need active for remote pley. There's no way to hide them from the devices picker without disabling them from your system I take it?

Right. If you need to use it and have it active, it's going to show up as an option in the drop-down. No way around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There are third party tools like audioswitch or whatever. There was a need for this before the native widget could do it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Eartrumpet seems to be the go to sound tray icon replacement.

I just fresh installed win 11 and it seems much better than my in place upgrade of a 3 year windows 10 install!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I am honestly pretty amazed by how well my in-place upgrade is running compared to the version of 10 it replaced.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

There are third party tools like audioswitch or whatever. There was a need for this before the native widget could do it.

Honestly audioswitch is a lifesaver for me. Just being able to swap audio stuff with a hotkey is REALLY useful if you have headphones or anything.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unsinkabear posted:

I am honestly pretty amazed by how well my in-place upgrade is running compared to the version of 10 it replaced.

Same. It's wild how well it runs versus how dumb some of the UI is.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I'm mostly enjoying Win11 - the control panel overhaul is much nicer than previous iterations, and a lot of the other problems just don't affect my use of Windows (I don't open the start menu with the mouse basically ever, etc). Having Microsoft Terminal as the default terminal is also REALLY nice.

However, boy howdy I loving hate the widgets bar. Not because it's a terrible idea; I mean widgets are a little mid-2000s era Android but still, there's some cool things you can do with them.

The problem? You can't disable the loving news. And guess what? The cost of possibly finding out about another terrible loving thing going on right now and ruining my day is not worth the upside of seeing a quick shortcut to the weather. So basically until they can offer the option to remove it, I'm just gonna ignore it. I submitted feedback too, hopefully it eventually stacks up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

The problem? You can't disable the loving news. And guess what? The cost of possibly finding out about another terrible loving thing going on right now and ruining my day is not worth the upside of seeing a quick shortcut to the weather.

:hmmyes:

But also I don't think I've seen the widget bar in action yet. Thankfully.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You mean like you can't disable them or you want widgets (lol they are terrible) but can't get rid of the news?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Vic posted:

You mean like you can't disable them or you want widgets (lol they are terrible) but can't get rid of the news?

You can't keep the widgets without the news. I'm willing to at least gently caress around with widgets to see if they could be useful or interesting, but not at the expense of having to look at the goddamn news. You can totally disable the whole feature, but y'know, figured I'd give it a shot.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Did 11 make the date and time on the taskbar super small for anyone else?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Eartrumpet seems to be the go to sound tray icon replacement.

I just fresh installed win 11 and it seems much better than my in place upgrade of a 3 year windows 10 install!

Eartrumpet is great!

SoundSwitch is another lightweight app for this…I swap from “speakers” to “headset w/mic” and back with a user-defined “CTRL+NUMPAD 0” hotkey, and it works no matter what programs/processes I happen to have running…Eartrumpet would very rarely fail to switch audio when some audio-intensive process was in use (iTunes from 2020 Win10; maybe Win11 doesn’t IDK).

Either will work fine these days, I’m sure!

Edit: re-Widgets

A weather-only Widget option would be glorious, or some way to really customize what pops up…I have 8Gadget running NetworkMonitorII always-on-top but would love to have it and weather as popups-on-mouseover without it looking for loving eSports or global news or stocks-I-don’t-follow. My internet is 4G LTE-based, and sometimes it’s nice to see when it’s “doin something” in the background when I’m reading a static journal or not actively online, so any replacement apps/gadgets/program suggestions would also be appreciated!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 28, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
E

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 29, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wrong thread?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe the launchers are running win11 and that's why they're hysterical

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i am once again asking for the renaissance of Windows shell replacements. i need to customize

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The new start menu sucks, but I'm staying vanilla after my fresh install, because power toys alt+space to launch things works for me.

They even messed up my windows key, up, enter enter to shut down thing.

I suppose I can learn another way, like alt-f4 when no windows are active.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Win+x, u, u

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

When I try this, the Us do nothing

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Unsinkabear posted:

When I try this, the Us do nothing

Stop holding the win key after win+x

or if you're using windows in a language other than english just look at the underscored letters:

Vic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 30, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks. The first time I tried there were no underlined letters, I checked. But now they're there and responding correctly? I guess I'll try to screenshot if it does that again

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Is there any reason why I should not turn off Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling in 11's graphics settings?

Having it on means that Twitch videos on my side monitor freeze whenever I play FFXIV on the main monitor. Having it off seems to make everything work together smoothly and I haven't noticed any performance loss.

E: if anyone else runs into this, the response from the GPU thread was "I've never seen that setting tangibly improve anything. I've only ever seen it break random poo poo instead. Just leave it off."

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 31, 2022

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

The new start menu sucks, but I'm staying vanilla after my fresh install, because power toys alt+space to launch things works for me.

you can enter "shutdown" from powertoys as well

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

qsvui posted:

you can enter "shutdown" from powertoys as well

Can also press the big button on case. It initiates the proper Shutdown procedure.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A nice change with 11 22H2 is the replacement of the old Disk Cleanup screen. It's redesigned and much faster than it used to be.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A nice change with 11 22H2 is the replacement of the old Disk Cleanup screen. It's redesigned and much faster than it used to be.

Does it show you colorful blocks as it defragments your drive

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jesus, remember having to do that?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus, remember having to do that?

Yes :corsair:

It was a pretty satisfying feelig, knowing that all your bits and bytes are neatly laid oud in contiguous blocks. I miss it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
https://defrag.shiplift.dev/ Re-experience it for yourself right now!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Poetry in motion :dance:

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Wow, this ui sucks rear end. I am honestly considering rolling back to win 10 even though I'll have objectively worse CPU performance on it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Wow, this ui sucks rear end. I am honestly considering rolling back to win 10 even though I'll have objectively worse CPU performance on it

Anything in particular grinding your gears?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The forced grouping on the taskbar which is beyond bad. The right click menu changes. The customization limitations of the start menu.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

... How much time you got?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just use 11 on my tablet. One of the most baffling choices is the context menu on the taskbar. There's just "Taskbar properties" or whatever, while everything else, including the Task Manager is in the Start button context menu. Whyyyyyyyy. What possible reason is there to hide all useful items there and limit the taskbar's menu to just one menu item.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sickening posted:

The right click menu changes.

That's the only visual thing about 11 I like

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

... How much time you got?

Broke my leg so out of work at the moment.

So I have oodles

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Everything. It's shittier at every corner where there is a difference. All of this seems like change for the sake of change, and without any recourse to set things back to the way they were for the last 25+ years it's just aggravating. Plus all the wasted space! Why would you not allow for compact options? I'm not using a loving touchscreen, I do not need big readable icons, jesus christ did you assholes learn nothing from windows 8

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

But hey, at least rollback works correctly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I wonder if they're targeting high-dpi screens, because on my 4k monitor the icons/etc. are all pretty dang small without any modifications (at 100% DPI scale at least.)

For my part and personal opinion: I've been pretty happy with Win11 for the most part - see my widget rant on this page or last page. I don't think there's any killer reason to upgrade yet if you're not looking for the stuff that WSL2/etc gets you, but I think a lot of people would be fine, (or would be fine after StartAllBack).

Things I like at least:

The settings app is a big step up from the Win8+ version they've failed to integrate for years.

Windows Terminal being able to set as default is a big win for sure.

The Linux GUI stuff is really cool. I don't have a good use for it yet, but it's super cool. When they can get proper window snapping working I'll probably upgrade at work to fix up some dumb filesystem sync issues between Linux/windows.

The general UI changes for windows/etc all feel fine to me. I kind of like the new coat of paint, and it hasn't broken anything major for me.

The right click menu stuff is actually a plus for me at least; over time in Win10 I had a bunch of stuff just add itself to the right click menu that I never used, and 99% of the time I'm doing one of the things that's on the right-click menu natively. I wish it was a flyout instead of a click, though.

Things I don't really like:

I don't like the start menu changes - although notably I didn't like it in Win10 either; I just hit winkey to search for something to launch. I have noticed that searching kind of sucks; I might switch to Everything. One positive here is that it's not doing web searches anymore at least - I had disabled this in Win10 but I assume it would have re-enabled itself in Win11, but maybe I'm wrong.

They removed the media Now Playing thingy from Win8 when you change the volume, which is a bit of a bummer - it's in the Winkey+A menu now, and it was nice to just go 'oh what song is this' and hit the volume button to find it.

They also changed the volume control so you can't just click it and start scrolling the mouse, you have to mouseover the volume slider first. I have an autohotkey script that does this for me anyway so it's not...common? But yeah I find myself going 'goddamnit' when I'm trying to change the volume with just the mouse.

The whole widgets bar is a failure; but at least that's not a change of something I was using, just a new feature I'm not going to touch.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 3, 2022