Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Podcasts, a new resin printer, ship breaker and a three day weekend. Hells yeah I'm going to be such a lazy bastard this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just started Hardspace: Shipbreaker after buying it in EA and forgetting about it until release and it's impressing me so far. They clearly paid a lot of attention to the intro and presentation which counts for a hell of a lot with me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Are you playing m+kb or with a controller?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Looks like they simplified the Mackerel cockpits to come apart easier.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, and you should send the outside into the furnance because the glass is worth more than the nano carbon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Are you playing m+kb or with a controller?

Mouse and keyboard. Seems to play well, the controls are like Descent.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, and you should send the outside into the furnance because the glass is worth more than the nano carbon.

It takes like 10 seconds to separate the glass, c'mon son, use the whole buffalo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah that glass is pretty easy. 4 cuts from the inside at moderate distance and the whole glass panel pops out as one piece. I think it's light enough that you don't even need to tether it. Just float out after it, grapple, spit, done.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I still find it amusing that this forum's premier shipbreaker found that game boring lmao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Haven’t seen a build this dumb since a guy showed me a lovely car tube and said it was better than trains.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1528955104463814656?s=21&t=Gk5ih-8nj1ZCkQdViIhjDw

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I still find it amusing that this forum's premier shipbreaker found that game boring lmao

Some of us prefer to play pretend at getting violently electrocuted.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

About six hours into Shipbreaker now, and I can definitely see how you can get seriously into the weeds with this game. Just tried to depressurize a ship for the first time and I accidentally blew the entire thing to bits :feelsgood:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wait until you take four tons of nano carbon to the face :getin:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They seemed to make the timer on those Atlas thrusters more generous.

Now when the casings split it is much more of a crush hazard, though. Got me with that once so far.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

GD_American posted:

They seemed to make the timer on those Atlas thrusters more generous.

Now when the casings split it is much more of a crush hazard, though. Got me with that once so far.

I haven't played it in a while so I just learned about them, and everything was going great until one smashed my face in and I'm really unsure as to how it got me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Been a hot minute since I played so I have zero idea what those thrusters even are. Didn't exist last time I played. Did they ever make javelins not an impossible cluster gently caress even with det charges? Still not sure I'll ever take one, gently caress them things. Also I swear I remember tethers refreshing automatically at the start of every shift like O2. Did that change?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, those thrusters are new to me as well, but I can't remember the last time tethers refreshed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tethers stopped refreshing a while back, around the time they fixed thruster fuel consumption.

The loving Atlas thrusters man. gently caress that poo poo.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

Tethers stopped refreshing a while back, around the time they fixed thruster fuel consumption.

The loving Atlas thrusters man. gently caress that poo poo.

Atlas thrusters are fun. Put a tether on the end of it so it starts moving out as soon as you cut the pipes, use the splitter beam to cut the pipe cut points fast, cancel the tether once the thruster starts moving (this part is optional), and then fling yourself into the nacelle and hit the flush lever. I can get it done before the fire has moved an appreciable distance.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

Atlas thrusters are fun. Put a tether on the end of it so it starts moving out as soon as you cut the pipes, use the splitter beam to cut the pipe cut points fast, cancel the tether once the thruster starts moving (this part is optional), and then fling yourself into the nacelle and hit the flush lever. I can get it done before the fire has moved an appreciable distance.

:catstare:

The gently caress is the deal with those thrusters? I hope there's some kind of introduction or tutorial for them. I've never seen one and now I don't want to.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There is. Your foreman tells you about them. Honestly if you don't freak out it's pretty easy and good cash.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

There’s also cryo canisters right by the cut points for the thruster caps. Crack one, swirl it around the thruster with your grapple and freeze the cut points. Worry eliminated.

Found out the way to survive when you shutoff the valve and the casing cracks; just manually grab onto the wall.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just dismantled my first Atlas, only blew up one of the thrusters :)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got crushed by one of them.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

mlmp08 posted:

Haven’t seen a build this dumb since a guy showed me a lovely car tube and said it was better than trains.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1528955104463814656?s=21&t=Gk5ih-8nj1ZCkQdViIhjDw

I hate giving apartheid emerald mine kid attention but holy poo poo that is a pants on head stupid build. Those aren't even good ashes in his quickslot and no flask in quickslots. And all the points wasted in vit and mind, my dude have you heard of dodging?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I actually didn't have flasks in my item slots throughout my playthrough, I preferred to use the Y + Dpad combo to access them so I wouldn't have to switch through the slots

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

I actually didn't have flasks in my item slots throughout my playthrough, I preferred to use the Y + Dpad combo to access them so I wouldn't have to switch through the slots

if you hold down the up or down button used to cycle through slots rather than just pressing it, it will automatically go back to what you have in slot 1. that's how I have managed it with my main spells and flasks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Maybe I'm living a charmed life (lol) but I just don't have an issue with Atlas thrusters the way you guys are describing them. I threw together a quick video showing what I'm doing, maybe it'll help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-6tZzrRIEY

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nice video! That's pretty much how I went about it as well after reading this thread, though you probably did it twice as fast. As I discovered, you just have to be careful not to graze the quasar thruster with the splitsaw beam because then bad things will happen.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Maybe I'm living a charmed life (lol) but I just don't have an issue with Atlas thrusters the way you guys are describing them. I threw together a quick video showing what I'm doing, maybe it'll help?

No muskets, voted one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I never had a problem with the Atlas thrusters either.

(A spaceship is like a musket in that there are many explosions.)

Biggest problem i've been having is with depressurizing the external hulls. You'd think they'd either always start depressurized, or would allow me to depressurize the whole ship at once, but instead the hull door always self seals and only lets me depressurize the interior. I tried equalizing pressure, then deleting the interior door, but that just leaves the air handlers in an 'unavailable' state with both volumes now pressurized.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

McNally posted:

Yeah, this is basically turbo speed how I do it. I don't even bother with a tether to yank the thing out, I just pull it out and then wander in. There's plenty of time if you don't mess it all up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I never had a problem with the Atlas thrusters either.

(A spaceship is like a musket in that there are many explosions.)

Biggest problem i've been having is with depressurizing the external hulls. You'd think they'd either always start depressurized, or would allow me to depressurize the whole ship at once, but instead the hull door always self seals and only lets me depressurize the interior. I tried equalizing pressure, then deleting the interior door, but that just leaves the air handlers in an 'unavailable' state with both volumes now pressurized.

Really I think the only answer to this is to depressurize what you can, hang onto the wall, and open up the doors.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They seem to have fixed a lot of the "You depressurised so now the reactor is going to explode" and "the entire ship will now achieve escape velocity on to your face" stuff so I'm pretty frequently popping hulls like corks to save myself a few seconds moving panels around.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I take my sweet rear end time and I methodically rip everything off. Lights, handles, posters, I don't care how petty it seems, onto the barge it goes.

The only explosive decompressions I get are little one room farts, however I haven't figured out how to get that center fuel tank out of the Javelin I think it is? That poo poo is a puzzle and a half and one wrong move and it's a good size bang.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got the javelin fuel tank out by concentrating on the front half first and stripping it to absolutely nothing left. Completely gone. Once it's out of the way you can tether the cage around the fuel tank off to the front then in to the processor and work on the fuel tank itself.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Can't you just use the splitsaw beam to cut that surrounding girder superstructure into two large chunks and get it out of the way? I need more practice on Javelins, but that's what I realized I probably should have done after I spent an absurd amount of time coaxing out that giant fuel tank yesterday.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The superstructure around the fuel tank is higher level than the split saw. You can demo charge it if you want but eh, gotta scrap that front half anyway might as well do that and then work on the fuel tank instead of wasting time with demo charges.

....I also generally hate demo charges and don't tend to use them on anything at all except ion rings if another path is possible.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've had no problem with the Javelin centers, but yeah you've gotta pretty much disassemble either the whole fore or aft sections first, then core it like an apple, just slide the entire ring around the tank forward or backwards off of it and toss it in the processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I usually do the entire aft end, then cut my way through the girders and use tethers to send the tank to the back wall.

Or you know, it explodes.