Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If my memory serves, that ice cream rule was very loosely enforced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Xaranthius posted:

Anyone remember Bonanza? I loved that place as a kid. Now I'm the jort wearer.

Man, I used to love going there with my grandparents.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If my memory serves, that ice cream rule was very loosely enforced

"Who will stop me?" I say as I fill my soup bowl with soft serve

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

People in Halifax are very excited for the upcoming Dennys and I understand IHOP caused quite a stir when it first opened. Just lmao

The only way I can possibly understand why people are pumped for these mediocre international chain joints is that they're so utterly suburban that the idea of going downtown and just walking around to find a good little place is insane. Whereas these American slop factories come with disgustingly large parking lots and easy access to freeways and busy suburban streets.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

People in Halifax are very excited for the upcoming Dennys and I understand IHOP caused quite a stir when it first opened. Just lmao

The only way I can possibly understand why people are pumped for these mediocre international chain joints is that they're so utterly suburban that the idea of going downtown and just walking around to find a good little place is insane. Whereas these American slop factories come with disgustingly large parking lots and easy access to freeways and busy suburban streets.

Downtown and even Bedford had some decent eating options but Sackville is very dire for places to eat for some reason so I can see why people from there would be excited I guess? No idea where those things are though so I dunno.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shofixti posted:

I don’t understand going out to eat steak. It’s pretty much the easiest thing to cook. Just buy a quality cut from a butcher, salt generously and use a food thermometer to get it medium rare or whatever you want. When i go out to eat I would rather pay for something that’s too complicated or annoying to do at home.

Because I've gone blind so it ain't gonna happen.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

infernal machines posted:

I just checked and Mandarin doesn't appear to exist outside of the GTA, so it's quite possible at least half the thread has no idea what this is a reference to.

I can confirm there are two of their restaurants in London, which I don't think is part of the GTA yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Frankly I doubt that London even exists. It's a made up place, like Fanshawe

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Shofixti posted:

I don’t understand going out to eat steak. It’s pretty much the easiest thing to cook. Just buy a quality cut from a butcher, salt generously and use a food thermometer to get it medium rare or whatever you want. When i go out to eat I would rather pay for something that’s too complicated or annoying to do at home.

As somebody who needs both gluten free and latex free foods, the Keg is actually a very good choice for me. As it's hard to find a kitchen without latex gloves in it, additionally, some gluten free buns may contain tapioca, which is a latex food. Soooo... eating steak at the Keg is an easy choice for me if somebody wants to go to a restaurant with me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fidelitious posted:

It's the frustration that somehow The goddamn Keg has successfully wormed the way into the brains of basic white middle-class Canadians as the place to go for a fancy night out, without even considering what top-notch local independents might be available. It's fine if you're in a smaller town that basically just has the one street of chain restaurants as choices, but if you're in a larger city? Come on now.

Food (and restaurant) prices have been jacked up so much in the last few years that trying to save a few bucks by going to a cheaper restaurant is not worth attempting anymore.

Chain restaurants are good because you know what you are going to get. It's not the best out there, but it definitely not the worst.

It's not just a matter of things being bad as things being unfamiliar. Some folks put cinnamon in chilli con carne. If you are from a culture that doesn't, ordering chilli and getting cinnamon is weird as hell. Or when I was like 12 we were shopping and stopped at a restaurant in china town. The prices were good but the food was awful, weird and oily. With adult brain I think now maybe it wasn't awful, maybe it was authentic to the region of China they were from and that is what people in living in china town wanted -- but I was expecting Canadian/Chinese food and didn't like it.

You go to the Keg and you're going to get an okay steak. Not a mind blowing steak, but it will be fine.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The keg is perfectly acceptable food, give your balls a tug.

Also if you want REALLY mediocre food in Burlington, Wendel Clark's is right downtown where the old Coronation was and whoo boy that's mediocre.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Denny's is the ultimate in boomer food. They got that poo poo down to a science. My 70+ year old dad and all his 70+ year old friends are convinced that Denny's makes the best steaks, the best burgers, the best fries etc. He will even tell you so in the traditional boomer phrase of "you can pay 100 dollars for an expensive steak but the best steak in the world is from Denny's". I'm pretty sure in 20 years time Denny's will cease to be a thing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Grille on Queensway had the best steak and eggs, for $7.49 :q:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

MA-Horus posted:

The keg is perfectly acceptable food, give your balls a tug.

Also if you want REALLY mediocre food in Burlington, Wendel Clark's is right downtown where the old Coronation was and whoo boy that's mediocre.

their montreal smoked meat sandwich there consists of 2 pieces of stale rye bread and a meager amount of montreal smoked meat no mustard or anything else

Development
Jun 2, 2016

lol, poo poo. Caryma S'ad got arrested at doug ford's rally in hamilton.

https://twitter.com/ConsumerSOS/status/1529964028923109389

plot thickens: this thread

https://twitter.com/anthonymarco/status/1529989559009923072

Development fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 27, 2022

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Frankly I doubt that London even exists. It's a made up place, like Fanshawe

To some it is known as "Fake London"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Development posted:

lol, poo poo. Caryma S'ad got arrested at doug ford's rally in hamilton.

https://twitter.com/ConsumerSOS/status/1529964028923109389

plot thickens: this thread

https://twitter.com/anthonymarco/status/1529989559009923072

Did she invite Chris Sky again?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carima sucks but the trespass order to stop a protest beside a political rally is not great.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

:canada::wtc:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
LOL Jesus Christ if the liberals go for that they're even stupider than I ever thought they could be. Maybe wait until Russia stops attacking?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's funny that the idea is being attributed to Chrystia "Hardcore Ukranian Nationalist" Freeland

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

We should really shut the gently caress up about other countries until we can go 1 year without another mass grave

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

evilpicard posted:

We should really shut the gently caress up about other countries until we can go 1 year without another mass grave
Nah dude, I'd like to stop another mass grave from getting filled today if at all possible. That "clean your room" attitude is what authoritarian hellholes love to make their foreign ministries spit out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mass graves for some, miniature Canadian flags for others.

I'm not even sure this is a joke, I've just literally described Canadian domestic policy

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah it's been super fun since Truck Nutz to question whether everyone I see flying / accessorizing the flag is a Q-pilled dumbass.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah it's been super fun since Truck Nutz to question whether everyone I see flying / accessorizing the flag is a Q-pilled dumbass.
My neighbour had a new front door installed today and the work truck had two huge Canadian flags attached to the rear bumper. He told me later that the installers kept trying to talk to him about Q stuff the whole time they were there.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EoRaptor posted:

Even if you see 'famous restaurant burger sauce' or something in your grocery, it won't be the same product used by the restaurant at all.

Olive Garden salad dressing being a rare exception to this rule

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Assuming eating out for one meal per day, that's 39.55$/day if we assume 365 meals.

Opinions on the Keg aside, (It's ok?), that "meal allowance" is on par with with a 20 hour/week job.

Kinda pales in comparison to Andrew Scheer "accidentally" "embezzling" almost 700,000$ to send his kids to private school in Ontario (while running in Regina), but Del Duca's just a guy at this point. A guy trying convince a boatload of Ontario CHUDS that he's definitely not Kathleen Wynne (and failing). The guy is estimated to be worth 1.5 million. Maybe grab a sub out of pocket, my guy.

(Losing an election to Doug Ford should be grounds for expulsion from politics, but I digress.)

TL;DR Not a great look. Keg's a 6.5/10.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I just like to think he's got some assistant who's weirdly obsessed with the keg and tries to have meetings there all the time with anyone

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

NutShellBill posted:

Kinda pales in comparison to Andrew Scheer "accidentally" "embezzling" almost 700,000$ to send his kids to private school in Ontario (while running in Regina), but Del Duca's just a guy at this point. A guy trying convince a boatload of Ontario CHUDS that he's definitely not Kathleen Wynne (and failing). The guy is estimated to be worth 1.5 million. Maybe grab a sub out of pocket, my guy.

The Sheer thing was Conservative internal propaganda. Nothing approaching "embezzlement", nothing remotely accidental.

When Sheer became the opposition leader, the Conservative party explicitly agreed to pay all of those "suspect" expenses. Basically private school and ancillary expenses so his kids wouldn't be (de)brainwashed by liberal Ottawa public Catholic schools. This was almost certainly a trap for Scheer from the outset. He was foolish enough to step into it. Western conservatives voters loathe politicians living large on someone else's dollar. When conservative insiders decided it was time for Sheer to go, all they had to do was start spreading rumours about spending. Everything was above board, and they knew it, but that wasn't the point. The audit they launched led to the publication of the spending. That sunk him politically because the spending totaled to a big number (4 kids, all school age, for four years - it adds up quickly) so that even without anything extravagant, it looks really bad in a media report

The same phenomenon has led to 22 Sussex being an unlivable hellhole. For decades every prime minister has considered fixing it a trap, politically speaking. And they may well be right. Canadians are so cheap about public spending, and the Canadian media is so pleased to publish numbers without context, that it's politically ruinous to spend money that's actually needed because it was inevitably total to a big figure over the years.

Tying all of that back to Del Duca, the spending at his office issue is not remarkable. It's over six years, and on a per year basis it is not even high for an environment where people are regularly working late. The point with Del Duca is his party has, in this election, been playing to that Canadian "cheap to a fault" sentiment, pointing out supposed scandals on the PCPO side. And it has been absolute rubbish. This thing with the Keg is right leaning folks smearing Del Duca with the same nonsense he has been trying to spread and to the extent it works it is not because of the spending itself but because it makes him look disingenuous and hypocritical.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Did you not read the thread title?

LMM, like the Keg, is cringe, genius, and disrespected.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seems like we could be headed to a Fed 2019 style "nothing changes" outcome with this Ontario election, where voters shrug and mostly vote the same as they did last time. Seems likely there will be a regression to the mean with the Liberals doing better and the NDP worse.

Surely, surely Horwath will quit if she doesn't win a minority right?

Is there an outcome where Del Duca quits? Given that he's a new leader and third place, in almost any situation he's going to be able to show some improvement over the last election, even if it's simply taking back a handful of traditionally Lib seats from the NDP and Conservatives. Perhaps if the showing is that meagre, if the party remains in third do folks see him quitting? Does he need to come in second to stay on?

Noted on the Strategists podcast that if people really, really don't care about this election, it'll be interesting to look at turn out to see if it is historically low. Low turn out could induce interesting outcomes as get out the vote efforts become more powerful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Did you hear about Trudeau being divisive by condemning racism and hatred among Alberta separatists instead of recognizing their economic anxiety?

I hope they don't start a convoy about it.

This metric system thing sounds interesting though, I hope it catches on.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please rename me to "the Olds-Didsbury byelection" and change my title to:

the magnificently disoriented ineptitude at deducing the real and obvious significance of

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Femtosecond posted:

She'll go but she'll keep her seat (no way a landlord gives up a sweet sinecure like that) and quietly control the leadership contest to succeed her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm sure I've told this story before, but Olds-Didsbury is one of the airports we use for training flights, and it so happened that one of my students was from Olds. I said, "oh, cool, at some point we'll probably fly there, but it'll just be a quick touch-and-go [a training exercise where you transition straight from landing into takeoff, resulting in maybe 5-10 seconds on the ground], we don't really have time to stop."

He looked at me and said, "that still seems like a bit much, could we spend even less time there?"

I take it it's not a great place to grow up in general, but especially if you're gay.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Femtosecond posted:

https://twitter.com/AndreaHorwath/status/1529897736363028481

"Grateful no one was harmed."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I honestly wonder if the NDP isn't dodging a bullet with their imminent loss. Horwath with actual power might curse the ONDP for another generation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The part of my brain that reasons and has empathy for people says this is a ridiculous overuse of force by police, given what we know so far, and this guy didn't deserve to die. My lizard brain says any person so loving stupid that they'd carry around a BB gun near a school after what happened in Texas probably wasn't destined to be anything but a burden to all of humanity, because goddamn is that loving stupid.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Don't worry guys; on Monday the government is going to table the corpse of their incredibly stupid bill from late last session to capitalize on a US mass shooting. Now gun crime can go from being 60% this thing to 80% this thing:

https://twitter.com/TPSGunsSeized/status/1505901065723650050?cxt=HHwWhIC5lc3ChOYpAAAA

That magazine is already illegal in Canada, and the little block on the back is illegal throughout the entire continent, but surely we can ban our way out of a generation of underprivileged kids seeing organized crime as their best path to upward mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not really sure I understand your argument? Can you elaborate?