Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mldDHI9l1v8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Rotten Red Rod posted:

gently caress just when I thought NFTs couldn't get any uglier, modern era Frank Miller enters the scene. It's not even a finished image, he didn't even erase some sketch guide lines.

Please retire, Frank. Please.

I know incredulity is cliche in this thread but why the gently caress do they think that a doggshit sketch from a semi well known comic book artist is worth 800 grand? do people forget what planet they are on when they get into crypto? I don't think there's a comic artist alive who could create a single artwork worth that if they were actually selling the original, which I just remembered is not what these freaks are even doing hahaha

the dude probably kept the original, or more likely, lit his stove with it as soon as they got the jpg of it because the hundred dollar bills from the real money they gave him were slightly out of reach

do they realize you can get like a loving wassily kandinsky sketch with more time put in it than that for like under ten thousand bucks? (or whatever. don't go research and say actually its more like 15 grand. gently caress you you know what I'm saying)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The thing I've discovered, during discussion with coin freaks, is that while they do have a decent understanding of blockchain tech, they often have almost no understanding of any other tech, and therefore no context for existing solutions to the problems that they believe chains uniquely fix.

Like, they know that chains are unusually resilient to modification, but they have no concept of why that is not a problem that other systems have to worry about, and they don't know that existing, secured append-only databases are far, far more able to both notice and counter attempts to change them.

Their understanding of existing tech appears to extend to "heard about git once, can send an email without help."

Somfin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 28, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I know incredulity is cliche in this thread but why the gently caress do they think that a doggshit sketch from a semi well known comic book artist is worth 800 grand? do people forget what planet they are on when they get into crypto? I don't think there's a comic artist alive who could create a single artwork worth that if they were actually selling the original, which I just remembered is not what these freaks are even doing hahaha

the dude probably kept the original, or more likely, lit his stove with it as soon as they got the jpg of it because the hundred dollar bills from the real money they gave him were slightly out of reach

do they realize you can get like a loving wassily kandinsky sketch with more time put in it than that for like under ten thousand bucks? (or whatever. don't go research and say actually its more like 15 grand. gently caress you you know what I'm saying)

Frank Miller has sold that high before. Probably not modern Miller.

Todd McFarland also has, especially his spider man art

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if I know anything about NFTs, burning the original probably makes it more valuable for reasons

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

CharlestheHammer posted:

Frank Miller has sold that high before. Probably not modern Miller.

Todd McFarland also has, especially his spider man art

look man, I'm not one to cape for the historical fine-art hustler canon or anything, but that's it gently caress life

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Somfin posted:

The thing I've discovered, during discussion with coin freaks, is that while they do have a decent understanding of blockchain tech, they often have almost no understanding of any other tech, and therefore no context for existing solutions to the problems that they believe chains uniquely fix.

Like, they know that chains are unusually resilient to modification, but they have no concept of why that is not a problem that other systems have to worry about, and they don't know that existing, secured append-only databases are far, far more able to both notice and counter attempts to change them.

Their understanding of existing tech appears to extend to "heard about git once, can send an email without help."

Exactly, take the Soulbound NFT Diploma idea.

it's a stupid loving idea because the school in question would be the canonical source of truth regardless, So putting it on a blockchain does nothing.

The only other argument for it is some sort of consolidated diploma registry, but if colleges wanted that, why wouldn't they have done so already? It would be fairly trivial.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

look man, I'm not one to cape for the historical fine-art hustler canon or anything, but that's it gently caress life

I mean frank Frazettas artwork from death dealer #6 sold for 1.8 million

Though he did paintings and comic book art if that changes anything I guess

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 28, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

"Hi how are you in a great mood?"

"In fact I do not have such information"

"Which will be my today's message"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

Exactly, take the Soulbound NFT Diploma idea.

it's a stupid loving idea because the school in question would be the canonical source of truth regardless, So putting it on a blockchain does nothing.

The only other argument for it is some sort of consolidated diploma registry, but if colleges wanted that, why wouldn't they have done so already? It would be fairly trivial.

They start with "we're building a blockchain" and then look around for a noun that can be broken down into data.

And then the coin freaks with no understanding of either the technology or the industry in which that noun is important decide that its existing system must have problems that blockchain solves, because otherwise why would someone rich (and therefore smart) be funding a company that's building a solution?

Games in particular get this a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

See also no understanding of finance, art, or really any other field they confidently proclaim blockchain fixes problems in somehow.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Crypto's main motivation is: do what you do today, but more expensive! It's lucrative because it's stupid and esoteric. It'd be like being a cobol/assembly developer in demand in 2022.

Some folks I know who do dev work in crypto charge $350/hr, for comparison.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 28, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also no understanding of finance, art, or really any other field they confidently proclaim blockchain fixes problems in somehow.

Absolutely, but the thing is they do understand blockchain. Trying to discuss its inherent faults is a losing battle because technological solutionism brain is used to problems being fixed in the next patch.

They can't deal with being exposed as technologically illiterate and are deeply insecure about that lack of knowledge. "Append-only databases are already immutable" seems to be a new one to them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I looked further into the Frank Miller Presents thing and it's basically Frank cashing in on SpiceDAO being desperate to throw money at artists, with very little effort or investment on Frank's part.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/frank-miller-presents-to-be-financed-by-spice-dao-nft-investment/
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/first-look-frank-miller-the-geek/

FMP was seeking up to one million dollars to finance a five-year plan to publish new and existing IP in print and digital formats. And Spice DAO will advance between $250K-$1M of future NFT sales. The DAO Treasury will recoup the loan by collecting a quarter of a million dollars to one million dollars in sales from the first project. The DAO Treasury will also collect a 20-50% commission on every NFT sale. And they project sales for six million dollars in sales from the first two phases of publication in 2022.

They intend to start selling PFP – Profile Pictures – as NFTs and plan to use the established business model of selling 10,000 NFT PFPs at a mint price of 0.08 ETH or 0.1 ETH. Currently the price of one ETH is around $2,900. Selling all the PFPs would bring in around three million dollars. The images are generated using a proprietary computer algorithm that assembles a set of individual art assets made by Frank Miller and Danilo Beyruth, one of the FMP artists (more on that to come).

They will also give owners of the NFT PFPs the exclusive right to buy a special edition of the physical comic book, and that right can also be sold on, as well as a mass-market version sold to comic book stores through Diamond Comic Distributors.

Buying the NFT will GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO BUY A COMIC BOOK! Wow, sign me up.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I looked further into the Frank Miller Presents thing and it's basically Frank cashing in on SpiceDAO being desperate to throw money at artists, with very little effort or investment on Frank's part.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/frank-miller-presents-to-be-financed-by-spice-dao-nft-investment/
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/first-look-frank-miller-the-geek/

FMP was seeking up to one million dollars to finance a five-year plan to publish new and existing IP in print and digital formats. And Spice DAO will advance between $250K-$1M of future NFT sales. The DAO Treasury will recoup the loan by collecting a quarter of a million dollars to one million dollars in sales from the first project. The DAO Treasury will also collect a 20-50% commission on every NFT sale. And they project sales for six million dollars in sales from the first two phases of publication in 2022.

They intend to start selling PFP – Profile Pictures – as NFTs and plan to use the established business model of selling 10,000 NFT PFPs at a mint price of 0.08 ETH or 0.1 ETH. Currently the price of one ETH is around $2,900. Selling all the PFPs would bring in around three million dollars. The images are generated using a proprietary computer algorithm that assembles a set of individual art assets made by Frank Miller and Danilo Beyruth, one of the FMP artists (more on that to come).

They will also give owners of the NFT PFPs the exclusive right to buy a special edition of the physical comic book, and that right can also be sold on, as well as a mass-market version sold to comic book stores through Diamond Comic Distributors.

Buying the NFT will GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO BUY A COMIC BOOK! Wow, sign me up.
Not only that, but the cost of the NFT will be more than the comic book! Clearly the best math.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I can't help but think of what eripsa would have thought posted about of all this poo poo

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Rotten Red Rod posted:

a 20-50% commission

:pwn:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1530324365199425536

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The concept of a ""home"" was challenging until i thought of a 50 gallon trash bag filled with placenta

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Bitcoin:

Astrochicken posted:

of a 50 gallon trash bag filled with placenta

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is the spice dao the one that bought a book on the abandoned dune movie project and thought they hold all rights to it now

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
lmao that bitcoin is more tracible than cash.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

lmao that bitcoin is more tracible than cash.

This has some interesting :umberto: to it because this will be framed simultaneously as a very good thing and nothing to worry about during the same conversion

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but its not physical, its not fung.

you cant trace digital non fung things.

( turns out they didnt do it behind 11 proxies/ vpns)

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Goblin Mode Activated:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/88gw85/crypto-investors-roleplaying-as-pee-obsessed-goblins-to-cope-with-crash
https://twitter.com/AltcoinPsycho/status/1529663689531412481

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Somebody used 4 slurps on an ape

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 28, 2022

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
They did slurpery on an ape

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vitalik, you slime! Where's the guy who mints the NFTs of Spider-Man?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Harambe died so that we may Slurp (3x a day, in cases you didn't know)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is the spice dao the one that bought a book on the abandoned dune movie project and thought they hold all rights to it now
Yes, it's really that incredibly stupid.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

has it occurred to anyone that vitalik buterin might not actually be a genius visionary, but just a dumb nerd

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Beartaco posted:

I can't get over the fact that they're all just apes. They could be literally anything, they could be scenic views, they could be hung dongs, they could be my little ponys, but they're all still inexplicably apes.

:nsfw: henpai.life :nsfw:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://twitter.com/adamultraberg/status/1530602197116891136?s=21&t=7hdNM44vu8-sMREYqCR4zA

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Finally some good news!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

theres the dip

GO GO GO

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, now it can go down only another 20%, but if it goes up, there's at least 80% potential there. It's basically one of the safest investments right now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1530590681885986818

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
more stuff i bought instead of crypto:

smores stuff (i like to put a little spread of peanut butter on mine, under the chocolate. try it!!!)
whiskey
some oranges
a book about pirates

:cheers:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It's fine, because with Bitcoin you can buy high, sell low, and still make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
God I love this! Let it burn!