Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

HKR posted:

I'm also current on Bahamut after swearing off Asura. Monday morning /sea all shows 1392 people. Saw around 1700 on tuesday last week. Server seems active without having the extreme toxicness Asura seems to have attracted.

Granted how many of those are jp only/bots/actually capable of helping you in endgame etc are unknown, but so far I haven't had trouble with the market board like others constantly bring up.

Server transfers are $10 and if Asura's toxicness is too much for you come be chill over on bahamut.

Bahamut4Life :black101::hf::black101:

Yeah I've been back for about 18 months now and play with the same 2-5 people, depending on who's currently subbed and who's off playing another game at any given time. Bahamut is not busy but not a ghost town, the AH is usually fine (although I had to wait a while for some random crafted stuff like Su3) and there are enough PUGs for ambu/odyssey/dynamis RP farming that you can get stuff done. Very much the speed I'm looking for these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol im not sure if its this exp ring but just randomly running around doing the 1-2 quest for sandoria im already level 18, im just flying through levels at the moment,.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Leveling is extremely smoothed out in this game now, and that combined with the exp ring and the fact that we're in like a double exp week or something I forget, you'll level real fast right now.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Remember to dismiss/resummon your Trusts when leveling otherwise they will be stuck at the level you first summoned them, and it can happen in starter zones that you will be like 5 or 6 levels ahead of them before the timer resets.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And also to heal them and their mp

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why can't I find a coffer at any of the spots in Eldieme Necropolis

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

why can't I find a coffer at any of the spots in Eldieme Necropolis

Someone probably opened one recently and they haven't respawned yet.

Back in the day I think if someone opened a coffer for quest items (AF or whatever) then they would respawn immediately, but if someone opened one just for the random loot it would take a while to respawn. Knowing FFXI it's probably like 30 minutes or an hour, LOL.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Had a bit of a shock yesterday. Stepped into Abyssea to pick up some blue magic spells, thought to myself "this place used to give good exp right", and proceeded to never see the exp go past 500. The running campaign for non-abyssea areas is just that good, huh.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
They basically backloaded the exp grind into job points and now master levels.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ohhh bonus exp that'd do it, at least i can just mainline the city missions. i quit before at like level 22 and now im there already in like a couple hours lol. need to get my subjob and mount.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Even outside of campaigns Abyssea exp isn't very good anymore

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m so glad someone thought to add a note to the lv60 limit break quest page on the wiki saying “hey this is the same places as the magicite mission so you should do them together”

If I had to come back to all three places twice I would have quit

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Vitamean posted:

Had a bit of a shock yesterday. Stepped into Abyssea to pick up some blue magic spells, thought to myself "this place used to give good exp right", and proceeded to never see the exp go past 500. The running campaign for non-abyssea areas is just that good, huh.

Abyssea doesn't give exp like other zones do, it's some weird other system where killing the same named enemy gradually increases your exp per kill until it caps out. That's why almost every RoE objective where you have to kill exp yielding enemies it says "outside of Abyssea".

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Now to spend four or five hours getting Windower back up to speed and finding all the gear I used to swap and getting the lua running again, assuming I still even have those scripts...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Can anyone tell me if there are windower plugins that do the following:
-make the map not terrible
-show me what square on the map I’m in (H-8, for ex) in a toolbar without me having to open the map
-flying combat text

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Can anyone tell me if there are windower plugins that do the following:
-make the map not terrible
-show me what square on the map I’m in (H-8, for ex) in a toolbar without me having to open the map
-flying combat text

If the regular map is a struggle a minimap plug-in will probably help a lot more. There should already be the coordinates next to the compass and flying combat text is in one of the misc configs, it’s an option that has both as a choice I can’t remember what it’s called off the top of my head.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Even outside of campaigns Abyssea exp isn't very good anymore

To elaborate on this: the game gives you a TON of key items and other effects that PERMANENTLY boost your exp gain at various points, and they all stack. However, all of these do NOT apply to abyssea. So abyssea exp is exactly the same as it's always been afaik, but now all non-abyssea zones just give so much more exp thanks to these boosts. I believe these boosts excluded abyssea because it was a huge hotspot for grinding at one point due to the huge groups of enemies, and so they made the boosts not apply there to make other zones more attractive / give people a reason to level outside of abyssea.

I wasn't playing during this time so I may be wrong? But this is the impression that I've been given.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Abyssea experience was so good at launch that it had the remaining old guard swearing up and down it was going to be what killed FFXI as a game.

Sure that didn't actually happen but each grinding group could have one or two players dedicated specifically for opening chests to get exp and party buffs and it didn't matter what level those players were: so long as they were alive and had keys to open chests they were getting exp and could grind alt jobs from nothing to level cap within a day.

But hey if there's better outside of Abyssea now roll with it to endure less of a grindfest.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Now to spend four or five hours getting Windower back up to speed and finding all the gear I used to swap and getting the lua running again, assuming I still even have those scripts...

This wasn't a joke. It took about this long to get my DRK choochin' the way it used to, even with mote's include handling most of the tricky bits. Still only have Scythe going and need to futz with GS set to get my 5-hit back.

I miss my lockstyle script already. It would equip my swag fashion and then lockstyle automatically.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I miss my lockstyle script already. It would equip my swag fashion and then lockstyle automatically.

Oh that's easy, in the main body of your job's GS:

code:
function set_lockstyle()
    send_command('wait 2; input /lockstyleset ' .. lockstyleset)
end
in function job_setup,

code:
lockstyleset = 9
where 9 is whatever gear macro you want to use for it

then in function user_setup,

code:
set_lockstyle()

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dryzen posted:

If the regular map is a struggle a minimap plug-in will probably help a lot more.
ffxidb is the one everyone likes, I believe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/uzerle/update_remapster_map_pack_1/

:bignews:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

[lockstyle stuff]

Back to classic, thanks! :getin:

Edit, just casually killing apex mobs with trusts:

:vince:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 29, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hell yeah got my rhapsody in white. im also level 22 and havent even started my 2-1 quests for sandoria lol, the exp right now is bonkers. gonna unlock dancer as a subjob, that a decent idea for backup on my thief?

edit: also im broke as hell, whats a good way to make money?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

queeb posted:

hell yeah got my rhapsody in white. im also level 22 and havent even started my 2-1 quests for sandoria lol, the exp right now is bonkers. gonna unlock dancer as a subjob, that a decent idea for backup on my thief?

Can confirm that THF/DNC is good. DNC lets you be invisible and silent when going around places and with how quick you generate TP as THF, you can liberally use the dances to help buff damage and survivability when both soloing and grouping, too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The only downside of subbing dnc is that you may find you just want to play dnc on its own

Dnc rules

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

queeb posted:

Back when I played (THF/DNC) I would mostly sell poo poo I bought with sparks, and I think I sold AMAN orbs too. At a certain point you can buy Ambuscade clears and sell some of the drops from that to fund more clears.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Easiest way to make money as a new player imo is to sell crystal clusters and acheron shields.

Keep all crystals you get, and trade them to any Ephemeral Moogle to store them - you can find one at any of the crafting guilds in the three major cities, and the guilds will be marked on the map. When you eventually have 144 of any one type of crystal saved up in moogle storage, ask the moogle to give you 144 of them. He'll return the crystals as clusters - and 144 crystals makes a full stack of 12 clusters. How much this stack of clusters sells for depends on the type of cluster and your server, but these are always in high demand by crafters so the price is always decent for a new player and will sell very quickly on the auction house.

For the shields, you can buy them with Sparks of Eminence by heading to a sparks npc and selecting Equipment (Lv.71 - 98) and then scrolling to the third page. The shields cost 2,755 sparks each, and can sell to an NPC vendor for up to 28k gil (depending on your Fame in the nation you sell them in). You can spend a maximum of 100,000 sparks each week, resetting on Sundays - this will earn you in total roughly 1,000,000 gil for basically no effort! I recommend waiting until near the end of the week (either Friday or Saturday) before doing this, just in case you need to spend Sparks of Eminence on other items. Similarly easy to Sparks & Shields is using Unity Accolades to purchase Prize Powders, which can also be sold for a free 1m per week. Same limitations as sparks though - can only spend 100k per week, resetting on Sundays.

Selling poo poo from enemy drops is also a good way to make money, as it does add up. I recommend speeding up the process by using the windower add-on Sell NPC, which you can use to make a whitelist of items and then trigger it when you're talking to a vendor to instantly sell everything in your inventory that's on the whitelist.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 31, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

God, when I first played, the game would freeze you out for 5 minutes if you accidentally alt-tabbed out (which was very easy to do in the heat of combat) and now... that. :roflolmao:

Lionet
Apr 5, 2007

Eyyyy looking to get into the goon shell on Asura, in the game again as Regalion bc this is 2004. Who can I hunt for a pearl from?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

CodfishCartographer posted:

The only downside of subbing dnc is that you may find you just want to play dnc on its own

Dnc rules

Dnc is by far the most fun job in the game hell yeah. So active and so many tools.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a plugin that tracks buffs and debuffs on party members as well as targets? I've got one that shows a list of some debuffs applied to the enemy - Debuffed shows what's on the current target, but I was hoping for something that tracks party members as well.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Resubbed after like 2 years, left off with Red mage at 33, bard at 34, and dancer at 22. I have no idea what I'm doing, let's gooooooooooo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sounds like you should start over as you can redo all of that in a day

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

jokes posted:

Sounds like you should start over as you can redo all of that in a day

Yeah, I kinda want to go taru instead of catgirl anyway.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
There’s a windower addon you can use to change your appearance at any time. It’s just client side but that’s all that matters. My main is an elflady and I changed her to look like hume. You could even change it job by job.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was causing a microstutter every 5 or so seconds in game. Tried it with WIndower, ashita and vanilla client and still had the same issue. Turns out it was because I had left "enable gamepad" on in the FFXI config utility when I didn't have a gamepad plugged in, and that microstutter was the game trying to find one every five or so seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4s8ZXrUrDs

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I just spent like 2 hours grinding the wrong mob for drops because I can read good. Let this be a lesson.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

If it helps it won't be the last time you do that. Especially with FFXIs fragmented dual wiki nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone know a good resource or an alternative for Battlemod? Because I was out grinding capacity points with some folks and I really wanted to filter out combat text from the several people nearby and I can either
1: Use the normal in game text chat which is impossible to parse if I'm trying to say, magic burst with someone but does actually filter other players or

2: Use Battlemod which has much better text logs but is fuckin arcane to configure and if you Google it it's basically like people asking "wait how do you set these text filters" and like stack overflow it's just a bunch of people being really lovely about "why don't you try reading the documentation"