Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You just know there's someone at Disney who said "well Luke called him Ben Kenobi when he met Leia at her prison cell and she knew who Luke meant so maybe she met Obi Wan going by Ben at some point?" It's the kind of flimsy technicality that suddenly gets treated as gospel so they can justify the story they want to tell without trampling the canon. So instead of Leia calling him in ANH because he's the last contact Bail had from the Jedi Order she instead is using her previous experience with Obi Wan as the reason why the Tantive IV made a break for Tatooine running from Scarif. And she brings up the whole "you helped my dad in the Clone Wars" line to amplify her plea for assistance. Their fleet just got wrecked, they have nowhere to go and Vader is on their rear end, so she decides to detour to Tatooine in a hail mary chance for aid.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ewan rules in this role and I'm glad to get more of him.

I really like this so far. They're also doing a good job of building up to Obi Wan turning on the lightsaber again and going full Jedi.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So my silly question is, was Ben stealing meat from his job each day, or was that just a small bene? Given the foreman was shown apparently cheating them on their wages, I expected the repeated shots of Obi-wan tucking away a small slice to come up at some point, but it didn't.

I keep going back and forth on that. I was waiting for it to have some significance, but I suppose two things. Either it is being saved for later as a conflict point with the foreman or its a job perk that they show as party of the routine banality of his life. Work, get your meat slice, punch out, take the bus to the park and ride, get home after dark, repeat.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Having a hard time suspending my disbelief that a bunch of grown rear end adults can’t catch a little girl. The prolonged Dutch angle cutscenes they’re using to drag it out for the sake of added dramatization and/or to fill time make me wanna barf. And what the gently caress is up with the conclusion of the roof scene? Obi Wan is pinned down and surrounded on multiple sides by two bounty hunters and the implication of both an inquisitor and Kumail Nanjiani, but he somehow teleports to street level instantly after gently placing Leia down on the pavement. And then, similarly to IG-11, 4-LOM is immediately discarded just moments after being introduced again for the first time in decades. (Ignore that I’m using IG-11 as a stand-in for IG-88.)

Also why is Disney insistent on 1.) so many terrible parkour scenes, and 2.) slotting black actors into the role of the deviant baddie who turns on their own side after having had some kind of change of heart? I get the feeling Reva as a character is going to be just as wasted as Finn was. The entire Star Wars IP has a very cookie cutter / paint by numbers / design by committee feel to it now, and I’m left scratching my head at some literally all of the repeated and predictable stumblings since TLJ TPM. Who wants to bet :10bux: nobody explained to the Leia actor what became of Jake Lloyd?

Criticisms aside, I love the inclusion of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers as both the main antagonists as well as the primary score composers, though. Actually, that’s a lie. I get the feeling that Star Wars is turning into the antithesis of Marvel, in that Marvel films seem to be getting bigger name actors for small bit roles all the time, who are very good at what they do, whereas Star Wars is getting big names as well, but they’re all people who aren’t generally actors or otherwise have no business or skill at acting (musicians, comedians, etc.) or are outright objectively bad actors (Danny Trejo) and whose sole involvement is for name recognition alone. And in no way do I mean to imply that every small role in this show is filled by someone who isn’t a professional actor, but every goddamn scene in this show so far, and BoBF, seemingly goes miles out of its own way to feel like that.

I’m only in this for the Vader / Obi-Wan reckoning though, and my bar has been set incredibly low after repeated disappointments since 2015. It already feels way too hamfisted by trying to force this Leia subplot, considering at no point in the original trilogy was it ever alluded to her and Obi-Wan having known each other, but if that’s the low bar that’s been set, fine, it could be a lot worse, I’ll live with it.

And now with all of that out of the way, which of you nerds wants to throw down with me and admit that Masters of Teras Kasi is the best Star Wars game ever made? No? Nobody? See, we don’t have to agree on everything. And I think that’s loving beautiful, man. I love you all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the matter, McFly Kenobi? Chicken?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

haakman posted:

Where's the loving music? There were 2 scenes in the second episode especially crying out for some of the familiar leitmotifs.

I agree. Every scene with Flea needs to be re-edited with a funky Seinfeld-esque RHCP bass solo.

Edit: California!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 28, 2022

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Handen posted:

outright objectively bad actors (Danny Trejo)

What in the everloving gently caress??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Obi-Wan real good. I love bringing back investigator Obi-Wan.

Also the thing they were cutting meat from may have been one of those space whales from Rebels. Tiyanki i think?

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

twistedmentat posted:

Obi-Wan real good. I love bringing back investigator Obi-Wan.

Also the thing they were cutting meat from may have been one of those space whales from Rebels. Tiyanki i think?

Tiyanki are definitely from Stellaris, I'm not sure we even got the name of the Star Wars space whales.

There are some https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Whale Might be the purrgil? See below.

Plotac 75 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 28, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Plotac 75 posted:

Tiyanki are definitely from Stellaris, I'm not sure we even got the name of the Star Wars space whales.

Purrgil

Of which the creature in Kenobi is not. Looked mighty familiar though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i thought the leia actor was fine. the inquisitors are all terrible!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

exmarx posted:

i thought the leia actor was fine. the inquisitors are all terrible!

I like the head inquisitor's voice, at least. It's very crisp and sardonic.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of which, I was surprised Bonnie Piesse (Beru in the prequels) was credited in the first episode. You see a brief glimpse of Beru when Obi-Wan is watching the homestead, but you don't even see her face and I assumed they had just gotten a stand-in. Guessing she and Owen will be back at the end of the series.

The closed captioning picked up dialogue from her even though I don't think I could actually hear much of it so she did have a speaking role.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Show's fine. I can't wait for more.

Starting out with a literal school shooting scene was.. unfortunate.

Ewan is great.

I'm conflicted on Reva. Her actress really sells "ambitious and unhinged," but not so much "scary." And yeah, her Batmanning all over the Blade Runner planet did not result in nearly a big enough payoff based on how much time they showed her ping-ponging around.

I am confused about Head Quizzy for timeline reasons others have mentioned.

Can't wait for Fallen Order 2. I had trouble getting used to the dodge-block-parry-control style, but once I did I had a blast.

Kumail as a grifter jedi was really fun. His delivery on

was absolutely hysterical. Also, in the background, you can see "HARPER" written on the wall, and I wonder who that is.

nine-gear crow posted:

He gets better though. Also doesn't 4-LOM always get his rear end kicked in like the books and comics and poo poo? He's just some jobber who's there to make Boba Fett, Bosk, and IG-88 look good by comparison.

You're thinking of Dengar.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't think so, her bacta tank is in a completely overgrown room so I imagine she's been in there for a long-rear end time. Possibly a Jedi who went under before Order 66 went down and she survived just by being forgotten

Uhhh that's a dude.

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of cameos, remember the mother and son that the fraud Jedi sends to Corellia? The kid is credited as “Corran”.

lmao

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

A couple other random thoughts:

The whole “why doesn’t Leia mention this adventure in her message to Obi Wan in ANH” plot hole isn’t really a plot hole yet. She doesn’t know what this mysterious man’s name is other than Ben. It’s very possible she never finds out his name aside from Ben.

To go along with that, we haven’t actually heard him say his name is “Ben Kenobi” to anyone yet, only “Ben”. Given what a premium he’s putting on secrecy, it’s very likely he’s not actually going by “Ben Kenobi”. As to how/why Luke calls him that, maybe we’ll find out.

Also, I liked seeing Reva use the dark side trick of pulling the information she needs straight out of Kumail’s head. I don’t think we’ve seen any other dark side users do that aside from Kylo Ren? Of course, that opens up a bit of a plot hole in that why didn’t Vader do that to Leia in ANH to find the secret rebel base….but we’ll let that slide

It's generally been shown that either a strong will or strength in the force you can resist a mind probe. Cad Bane resists interrogation through considerable strength of will and (while I hate the sequel trilogy it's worth pointing out) Rey manages to push Kylo Ren out and reach into his mind instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUHQDQZ6E4 Cad surrendering implies he couldn't repeat that but he still manages to resist three extremely powerful jedi all the same.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it shoulda just been a generic force sensitive girl, who was the key to all of this. then you get the added benefit of a new character you could work into your other shows set way down the line. coulda been leia's pal on alderaan or something if they were really concerned about shoving her and bail in.

now we're just stuck with dead ol' leia

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's generally been shown that either a strong will or strength in the force you can resist a mind probe. Cad Bane resists interrogation through considerable strength of will and (while I hate the sequel trilogy it's worth pointing out) Rey manages to push Kylo Ren out and reach into his mind instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUHQDQZ6E4 Cad surrendering implies he couldn't repeat that but he still manages to resist three extremely powerful jedi all the same.

I love how Cad mocks them about torturing him as if its something they'd never do, but they do something that is functionally identical.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm on board so far though it definitely betrays TV show budget and production values in places. I'm almost relieved the grand inquisitor got got because his head was so distractingly round.

It was weird that the inquisitors just flat out knew the Anikan connection like No Big Deal. My take on those guys is that scary as they are to the average moisture farmer they're more than a few rungs below Vader and he doesn't seem the type to open up to subordinates about poo poo like that, I thought it was a bit of a galactic secret tbh.

I guess it set up a good dynamic where Obi has to grapple with it after leaving him for dead tho.

I like how the time clock at the Meat Factory is a robot for no reason. Real Flintstones vibes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I got a chuckle out of Obi-Wan reacting to his hands hurting after connecting on (probably) the first closed fist punches he ever threw in his life.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was a great 2 episode season opener.

Loved the Previously On Star Wars intro at the start, that helped my girlfriend catch up a tonne.

Really surprised me when Reva punked the Grand Inquisitor I wonder how long that'll take him out for? The entire rest of the show?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazo posted:

I'm conflicted on Reva. Her actress really sells "ambitious and unhinged," but not so much "scary." And yeah, her Batmanning all over the Blade Runner planet did not result in nearly a big enough payoff based on how much time they showed her ping-ponging around.

I honestly think that's intentional, the "not scary" part, anyway. Her being unhinged is the main selling point to her character, as is whatever trauma that she blames Obi-Wan for and wants revenge over that drives her actions. By the time this is over, she's either going to get a tragic redemption arc through catharsis and revelation, or she is going down swinging in a glorious fit of rage... or they could pull a Star Trek Picard Season 2 and go for the most batshit stupefyingly unexpected and unsatisfying option no one ever possibly even considered. We'll see.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Reva will heroic sacrifice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Reva will heroic sacrifice.

Yeah, she is not making it out of this season alive most likely. The question is going to be will she die a hero or a villain?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Show's good. I really enjoy the TV Star Wars vibes. The camp is great and true to form. The sets feel just like, 3 or 4 steps better than cheap, the compositing is quaint. The 5 mile long roof parkour I could've done without, and while I'm pretty much done with the Skywalkers, I like kid Leia. She's doing really great with such a huge, huge role. I think Carrie Fisher would've loved it. Obi-Wan is instantly recognizable and familiar, and where he's at feels very believable and appropriate. I appreciate that he hasn't been swashbuckling his way through the rise of the Empire and he has a real weight to him that helps ground the rest of the goofiness. It's a good balanced show so far.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Spermando posted:

Apparently the tweaker is Ewan McGregor's daughter. :aaa:
That means three generations of his family have been in Star Wars!

ghostwritingduck posted:

That girl gave Obi Wan an unbelievable amount of free drugs.
That's how you get them hooked.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gonz posted:

I got a chuckle out of Obi-Wan reacting to his hands hurting after connecting on (probably) the first closed fist punches he ever threw in his life.

That was because he slapped a Zabrak in the head. The horns cut his hand, which is why Flea says he didn't know Jedi could bleed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Handen posted:

or are outright objectively bad actors (Danny Trejo)

:mad:

Anyways, this show is loving awesome so far!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Robot Style posted:

That was because he slapped a Zabrak in the head. The horns cut his hand, which is why Flea says he didn't know Jedi could bleed.

Oh poo poo, you're right.

Larry, don't be punching spiky headed dudes in their domes!

Now I wonder if the Jedi Academy had CQC classes. Obi-Wan was out of his element but held his own fairly decent in a fistfist against two other people, without using the Force as far as I can tell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think it would be pretty hilarious if Obi-wan and Reva have their lightsaber fight and Obi-wan utterly schools her because he's literally one of the best fighters the Jedi had and she's just, well, we don't know what she actually is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I think it would be pretty hilarious if Obi-wan and Reva have their lightsaber fight and Obi-wan utterly schools her because he's literally one of the best fighters the Jedi had and she's just, well, we don't know what she actually is.

I think some variation on this is what could happen. Obi-Wan sat on the Council as a Jedi Master and has 40+ years of Force training and top tier lightsaber combat to his name, whereas she just seems like a Force sensitive who fell in with the Galactic Schutzstaffel and is very undisciplined in her techniques and her overall skills.

I doubt, however, we'll see Obi-Wan ignite his lightsaber until Vader shows up. He seems like he wanted to use it several times in the second episode but held himself back. That could be a running theme until the final act, i'd imagine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In general, there's stuff to nitpick after two episodes, but i'm just thrilled we've got Ewan playing this character again after almost 20 years, and we could also be treated to Christensen having a Star Wars renaissance after being forced to read George Lucas dialogue of questionable quality on screen for two whole movies.

Hayden seems like a nice enough dude who got the short end of the stick in Episodes II and III through no fault of his own. He's not the greatest actor but people are overreacting bags of poo poo for ragging on him as hard as they did back in the day. I hope he shows up as Vader and is such a rad, beastly motherfucker that it makes everybody take back their blind hatred of him. Whatever anybody's feelings about the prequels, seeing how they're going to explain Vader and Larry Obi-Wan having a duel prior to A New Hope is going to be fascinating.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

twistedmentat posted:

Ahsoka absolutely wrecks the inquisitors in Rebels without breaking a sweat and she got kicked out of the order as a padawan. I have no doubt that Obi could clown all of the inquisitors.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m just confused/curious how Hayden is going to actually fit into the show. I’m guessing/expecting to see him in a flashback of some kind, but what about when he’s in full Vader mode?

Is he actually in the suit when we inevitably get scenes with Vader? Does he talk, or did they wheel James Earl Jones into the booth to record more dialogue? I imagine we’ll also get some scenes of him all scarred up in his little meditation pod like we did at the end of episode 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty sure he's gonna be in the Vader suit.

And we'll also likely see him battle Obi-Wan.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maybe we even get some flash backs involving Anakin during his time in the Jedi Order.

Maybe we even see more of the Jedi Temple attack and more scenes with Hayden butchering Padawans?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up or expect too much, but drat. The possibilities are endless.

Also Qui-Gon force ghost when?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I demand Qui-Gon call Vader and threaten him over the phone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Obi-Wan know how to force commune yet with Qui-Gon? It seemed like he was so traumatized that he doesnt know yet or cant. Hope we see it happen at the end.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Liam Neeson likes money. He’ll be here

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That DICK! posted:

Liam Neeson likes money. He’ll be here

They brought up Yoda teaching Obi-Wan how to summon Force Ghost Qui-Gon in the big recap reel. I'm betting we'll see Liam in the lovely Jesus wig again before the show's finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

They brought up Yoda teaching Obi-Wan how to summon Force Ghost Qui-Gon in the big recap reel. I'm betting we'll see Liam in the lovely Jesus wig again before the show's finished.

I just need this, and a fight with Vader and Obi-Wan, and the show will be perfect. Embracing the fan service, I dont care.