Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

coconono posted:

I wonder if any of the TV set tops could do PS2 emulation. I'd be down for something like that.
The Shield can do an okay job since the release of Aether SX2, but even then the most taxing games will be slow and choppy and some games will not work (and no upscaling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CesxTuvBe0

With further work done on Aether SX2 more games will be within reach of the fastest android chipsets but for now you still want an X86 box for PS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcAopwcE1j4&t=485s

Notice the difference in how Rachet & Clank and God of War run on PCSX2 compared to the Shield and Aether SX2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWZr0AsBjE&t=986s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Anyone having issues with the RP2+ and getting the analog sticks to work on Playstation games?

I think I've configured it properly but it's entirely possible I've screwed it up.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

madmatt112 posted:

Somehow the amberELEC 351V I got managed to sidestep that perpetual paralysis and I just dove in to a random game on my want-to-play list. Haven’t looked back. You can do it.

I jumped into a lot of stuff that I played all the way to the end before it hit.
Also if I think about it too much I just load up crazy taxi.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
My go to is Pokémon Pinball. Always easy to hop in and out of that.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

CFox posted:

My go to is Pokémon Pinball. Always easy to hop in and out of that.

:hai:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So for more demanding emulation like the PS2, is the Odin Pro or Odin Lite better to go with?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vakal posted:

So for more demanding emulation like the PS2, is the Odin Pro or Odin Lite better to go with?

The pro

Here’s a community list of the games so far

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zATLq_UshE1Nw6HhHuJvrv6f6xFyK8nHrUdDd6bO7KM/htmlview

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The Shield can do an okay job since the release of Aether SX2, but even then the most taxing games will be slow and choppy and some games will not work (and no upscaling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CesxTuvBe0

With further work done on Aether SX2 more games will be within reach of the fastest android chipsets but for now you still want an X86 box for PS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcAopwcE1j4&t=485s

Notice the difference in how Rachet & Clank and God of War run on PCSX2 compared to the Shield and Aether SX2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWZr0AsBjE&t=986s

I might check out Nvidia Shield dealie.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly though, none of these things can hold a candle to a high end smartphone. If you're one of those people who gets a new samsung galaxy every two years, just plug your old one into a usb-c to hdmi connector and it will run shadow of the colossus at 1080p no problem

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly we’re probably getting to the point of mid range phones being able to run PS2 at this point.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

people just give me phones. Its weird as poo poo. None of them are good enough to run a PS2 emulator.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hah, and I was this close to ordering one of these things, too.

https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1530393613200289792

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK but consider.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

So my rg552 is enroute.
I was playing a few videos while at work today. It’s going to be my first purpose built emu device with swappable roms to show up. Is it best typically to build out an sd card with a structure like /roms/x where x = console name/ ?

Any practical limits to directories? Better recommend structure?

I don’t even know how much sense this all makes because I drank a giant iced coffee expecting to stay up all night watching the whole season of stranger things and my wife fell asleep half way through the first episode and I’m not allowed to keep watching. I’m way too awake but gaaah. Too hyper.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Stuff like amberelec (and actually the crap OS install it'll come with) divides systems up into folders yeah. It's just a good practice in general. In the case of amberelec you can build your library in advance with the metadata using launchbox, export it and import it on the system and it'll shove everything where it should be.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I know a few people here swear by launchbox but don't sleep on Pegasus if you're running an android device. It's a little more work to get set up, but the results are so fine I feel it was totally worth it.

https://twitter.com/DocHospital/status/1530422833284784129?s=20&t=SBzPWDfykS2BLxtaeRosxg

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

otter posted:

So my rg552 is enroute.
I was playing a few videos while at work today. It’s going to be my first purpose built emu device with swappable roms to show up. Is it best typically to build out an sd card with a structure like /roms/x where x = console name/ ?

Any practical limits to directories? Better recommend structure?

I don’t even know how much sense this all makes because I drank a giant iced coffee expecting to stay up all night watching the whole season of stranger things and my wife fell asleep half way through the first episode and I’m not allowed to keep watching. I’m way too awake but gaaah. Too hyper.

From the SD card I expect it'll come with, grab the bios folder because that'll save you some time down the road. Once you have AmberElec installed your SD card will be split into two with an AmberElec partition and a Games partition, the Games part will have folders ready named by system (gb, gbc, gba, psx etc) so you don't have to worry about creating the structure yourself. You can spend some hype time getting all the games you think you'll want on there sorted into folders ready for transfer to the SD card, I have those folders on my Mac in a 351P folder so I can just keep track of what I have on there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Someone's finally reselling the Retroid Pocket 2+ on Amazon for $150

https://www.amazon.com/Retroid-Pocket-Handheld-Multiple-Emulators/dp/B09Z2FWNBL/

At that price that's roughly a $25-30 Amazon tax depending on how much DHL shipping costs for you, but given what the seller says, that would explain why the reseller prices on Amazon are so hiked up (15% would be $22.50)

Nam Taf posted:

I haven't experienced this. I have briefly had it stop responding to touch inputs and a reboot fixed that, and occasionally the n64 emulator will stop playing sound if I pause emulation and do some other yet-to-be-determined stuff, but otherwise I've had no issues with it personally.
I wonder if it is related to how big his rom collection was, or if specific roms or specific characters used in the names can cause it to crash. If force stopping it and clearing it's cache fixes it (but resets all the rom collections) that does seem to indicate it would be a problem with the data it is storing. It's weird, but I posted it because I've not seen anyone else mention that problem with the RP2+.

flavor.flv posted:

Honestly though, none of these things can hold a candle to a high end smartphone. If you're one of those people who gets a new samsung galaxy every two years, just plug your old one into a usb-c to hdmi connector and it will run shadow of the colossus at 1080p no problem
Yeah phones have well outpaced set top boxes for a while now, to the point that there still isn't anything that is more powerful overall than the 7 year old NVIDIA Shield TV. Maybe once Nintendo finally releases a Switch 2 we'll get a Shield 2 to go along with it.

coconono posted:

people just give me phones. Its weird as poo poo. None of them are good enough to run a PS2 emulator.
That's why they give them to you.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 28, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Game Corps AYN Odin Starter Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTElJSb23uk

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress finally. He said he was planning this ages ago.

The Odin is fantastic but for me at least getting everything set up has been a royal pain in the rear end. Especially when looking at the community ps2 document and like none of the games I tried on the list run anything like they said.

Also man wtf this is even more temping now even though I have a deck lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Onion OS is a game changer, if you're using the miyoo stock firmware you need to take the time to install it just for the quick shutdown and resume ability alone

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Going back to the past, we continue our journey with the GP2X F200 and Wiz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Q55XUUi_U

Yep they replaced the bad mini slide pad with... four separate buttons (it's not a single unified d-pad underneath like Sony)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG658NiE-Zs

Finally a real d-pad... and check out that packaging

njsykora posted:

OK but consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yROF6hGEVa8

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2022

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Anyone know if the Miyoo mini comes with any Ps1 roms loaded? I have a V2 arriving tomorrow and don't want to muck around too much dl'ing stuff if I don't need to.

(Ps. If it does, what games)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mine came with

symphony of the night
megaman x6
strider 2
final fantasy 9
final fantasy origins
chrono cross
vagrant story
valkyrie profile
vandal hearts
resident evil 3
bloody roar 2
darkstalkers 3
mortal kombat 4
street fighter ex 2
tekken 3
rival schools
fifa
umihara kawase
total eclipse
trickshot
twisted metal 2
and every single crash bandicoot game including the spinoffs

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Anyone know if the Miyoo mini comes with any Ps1 roms loaded? I have a V2 arriving tomorrow and don't want to muck around too much dl'ing stuff if I don't need to.

(Ps. If it does, what games)

I didn't test any of these, but I backed them up before doing CFW shenanigans on mine:

Bloody Roar II
Castlevania SotN
Raystorm
Resident Evil 3
Rockman X6 (My file name shows Rockman, not Mega Man, so it may technically be Japanese)
Street Fighter EX 2
Strider 2
Tekken 3
Vagrant Story

Edit: I got ripped off in my free games!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My miyoo mini is arriving today and I’m pumped! :woop:

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

flavor.flv posted:

Mine came with

symphony of the night
megaman x6
strider 2
final fantasy 9
final fantasy origins
chrono cross
vagrant story
valkyrie profile
vandal hearts
resident evil 3
bloody roar 2
darkstalkers 3
mortal kombat 4
street fighter ex 2
tekken 3
rival schools
fifa
umihara kawase
total eclipse
trickshot
twisted metal 2
and every single crash bandicoot game including the spinoffs

Bonanza! Not bad- a few in there i didnt already have.

I am totally pumped- really crossing my fingers shadow tower/kings field work well.

Does the sleep function work now with the cfw- i watched a review that said the sleep button just muted the console and turned the screen off (with the game still running) which seems a bit bogus

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Science_enthusiast posted:

Does the sleep function work now with the cfw- i watched a review that said the sleep button just muted the console and turned the screen off (with the game still running) which seems a bit bogus

With OnionOS and the Onion launcher enabled it's great - pressing the power button will save your state and power off the device completely. Then powering on again will boot back into the last game and auto-load the save state. It takes about 8 seconds to do a full boot and be back exactly where you left off - by far the fastest of these handhelds I've used.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Loki preorders are opening later and it's taking some effort to not slap down the reservation fee for the 6600U version since my Steam Deck at this point isn't expected to ship until March.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New Evercade model announced, replacing the old one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOZhBngnE0

-Actual good quality screen now (IPS)
-New sleek design
-TATE mode
-WiFi (why?)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I assume the wifi is so they can add netplay to stuff, though the Evercade in general is one of those things where I'm not entirely sure who it's for except people who really need the feeling of putting in a cartridge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That looks nice. The last model had a Fisher Price to it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Valve Steam Deck posted:

New Evercade model announced, replacing the old one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOZhBngnE0

-Actual good quality screen now (IPS)
-New sleek design
-TATE mode
-WiFi (why?)

Neat but suffers the problem the original has of being way too expensive for what it brings to the table compared to other retro handhelds, if anything they should have tried to figure out how to make it and it's cartridges cheaper instead

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Ayn just released Odin Base/Pro Linux Kernels for the devs to start their work, we're going to see what that unit is really capable of in a few months I think

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

Ayn just released Odin Base/Pro Linux Kernels for the devs to start their work, we're going to see what that unit is really capable of in a few months I think

Just saw that.

Also curious about the low end AMD chip they are using in the windows handheld.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Just saw that.

Also curious about the low end AMD chip they are using in the windows handheld.

any move to use AMD is less about windows and more about SteamOS, I just don't think there is an easy way to license SteamOS currently, Valve probably should get on that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

any move to use AMD is less about windows and more about SteamOS, I just don't think there is an easy way to license SteamOS currently, Valve probably should get on that

AFAIK windows is free to license on computers with displays under 7 inches.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK windows is free to license on computers with displays under 7 inches.

ah I actually didn't know that, MAK licenses are pennies too even if they weren't free.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t wait to see how the $299 intel and AMD parts do with emulation.

I’m only afraid that they are going to murder the battery where as the Odin pro is pretty amazing tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

drrockso20 posted:

Neat but suffers the problem the original has of being way too expensive for what it brings to the table compared to other retro handhelds, if anything they should have tried to figure out how to make it and it's cartridges cheaper instead
The new portable is $150, the console is $100, and the carts are $20-30. It's in line with the last generation of mini consoles like the snes mini, genesis mini, tubrographix mini, playstation classic, etc. but it's also extensible.