Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

American McGay posted:

Nintendo Fans: ughh NSO is such a ripoff! The game crashes if you stand in this exact spot and press two buttons! And don't even get me started on the water textures!

Sony Fans: Our games look like this now.

works on my machine OP (Xbox series x)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Theyll never put the cool PS1 games on PS5 like Einhander or Digimon World what's even the point

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
They should have just had Hamster work on that Pac-Man collection, considering they do a very good job of porting arcade games and they've already done a collection for Konami and Taito. Plus Hamster already put out Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man and Pac-Land on Arcade Archives

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the head of playstation doesnt understand why people would want to play old games and seems to make it a priority to make them as lovely as possible for the service you spend 18 dollars a month on lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the head of playstation doesnt understand why people would want to play old games and seems to make it a priority to make them as lovely as possible for the service you spend 18 dollars a month on lol

It's honestly cool lol. Big ups to all the people that went out and bought $700 of PSNow cards so they could stack up 9 years of the highest tier of the service at a small discount.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

Nintendo Fans: ughh NSO is such a ripoff! The game crashes if you stand in this exact spot and press two buttons! And don't even get me started on the water textures!

paper mario 64 used to crash on nso and delete your save data if you died at all while using one of the best party members and kirby currently has a possible soft lock if you take damage at any moment underwater but okay american mcgay

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 28, 2022

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

How is the switch port of disco Elysium

Good, but fast travel seems to only work in handheld mode. Dunno why

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

paper mario 64 used to crash on nso and delete your save data if you died at all while using one of the best party members and kirby currently has a possible soft lock if you take damage at any moment underwater but okay american mcgay

Sounds like something someone who dies and takes damage would complain about.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Either way, those bugs are fixed.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
So I won a $500 dollar Best Buy gift card a while ago and tonight I'm spending it on a Switch and some games. Tell me which games I should buy. I'm leaning towards Kirby, Zelda, Paper Mario or Monster Hunter cause it's not out on PC yet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Monster Hunter Rise is out on PC now. Kirby, Zelda, Odyssey are must haves. Then it gets murky depending on your interests. Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Maker, Dread.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

American McGay posted:

It's honestly cool lol. Big ups to all the people that went out and bought $700 of PSNow cards so they could stack up 9 years of the highest tier of the service at a small discount.

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dread is a must buy if you like metroid

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Good, but fast travel seems to only work in handheld mode. Dunno why

is that just a switch bug or is it a whole game thing? cause fast travel is already really loving weird on pc too but there seems to be certain things you need to do to make it work.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 28, 2022

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I am planning to sell my Switch and some games and accessories. Will I get the most by listing separately on eBay, selling locally on Facebook Marketplace (shudder), or what?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Large Testicles posted:

is that just a switch bug or is it a whole game thing? cause fast travel is already really loving weird on pc too but there seems to be certain things you need to do to make it work.

It's that. I played it docked and could fast travel as long as I was stood in the small area where you're allowed to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dread is a must buy if you like metroid

I'm such a garbage human. I need to go back and play this, I bought it and played an area or two and honestly had a great time. I'm a huge metroidvania nut!

Got distracted. Haven't touched it since, but I could tell it's a great game just from the hour or two I put in. I really really need to finish it

But I've also really really needed to finish like 20 3DS games for over 10 years now. Actually Xenoblade 1 has been in the backlog since the Wii days, totally worth making time for it and enjoying it instead of just trying to cram it in between releases back then

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I am planning to sell my Switch and some games and accessories. Will I get the most by listing separately on eBay, selling locally on Facebook Marketplace (shudder), or what?

Try SA-Mart. In general, selling things individually works best. That way, potential buyers aren’t trying to figure out if the bundle is worth it. Depends on just how many games and how desirable they are of course.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've had good luck on SAMart saying something like, "here are games, the prices include US shipping. If you want multiple games, make me an offer and knock a few bucks off for shipping the extras."

Usually someone will buy three $20s for $55 and I end up with $45-50 in my pocket once it's shipped and PayPal gets its cut.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Large Testicles posted:

So I won a $500 dollar Best Buy gift card a while ago and tonight I'm spending it on a Switch and some games. Tell me which games I should buy. I'm leaning towards Kirby, Zelda, Paper Mario or Monster Hunter cause it's not out on PC yet.

All of the picross games and mario.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Large Testicles posted:

Mario Odyssey. You will see.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

Welcome aboard! The switch has too many games. I'm afraid you have just generated an enormous backlog for yourself.

The games mentioned already are all great picks. If you like tactics/strategy, may I recommend Into the Breach. Very addictive game full of "aha!" moments as you work with limited moves/resources.

Another must-buy strategy game is Mario + Rabbids, which is Mario Xcom. Way better than you're probably thinking it is. While it is easily worth full price, I would advise putting it on your wish list. It goes on deep sale fairly frequently. On that note, dekudeals.com is the go-to site for tracking deals.

I hear Triangle Strategy is a good strategy game too but I haven't played it. It has a demo so I'll check it out sooner or later...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Sony Fans: Our games look like this now.

Sony gaslighting old gamers into thinking they need glasses

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Welcome aboard! The switch has too many games. I'm afraid you have just generated an enormous backlog for yourself.

The games mentioned already are all great picks. If you like tactics/strategy, may I recommend Into the Breach. Very addictive game full of "aha!" moments as you work with limited moves/resources.

Another must-buy strategy game is Mario + Rabbids, which is Mario Xcom. Way better than you're probably thinking it is. While it is easily worth full price, I would advise putting it on your wish list. It goes on deep sale fairly frequently. On that note, dekudeals.com is the go-to site for tracking deals.

I hear Triangle Strategy is a good strategy game too but I haven't played it. It has a demo so I'll check it out sooner or later...

Triangle strategy takes a while to get going but it's worth getting past the opening hours. Best strategy game on the switch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
so I just beat Metroid Prime. Can someone go to https://www.bccls.org and recommend a game they have available so I can get it for free from the public library?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
What system, Gamecube?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What system, Gamecube?

Nintendo Switch tia

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Can't go wrong with Metroid Dread. Or if you want something more 3d platformery there's a number of Mario games, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, and the Mario 3D collection is also there. Breath of the Wild is also a must play. Not sure if this is helpful, haha, but really any Nintendo games are worth playing if you're looking for a place to start.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

so I just beat Metroid Prime. Can someone go to https://www.bccls.org and recommend a game they have available so I can get it for free from the public library?

Your library has an amazing collection. Try Hollow Knight if you haven’t already. Tons of good ones though, and here are a few highlights if you ask me: DOOM, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and Bayonetta 2.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Can't go wrong with Metroid Dread. Or if you want something more 3d platformery there's a number of Mario games, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, and the Mario 3D collection is also there. Breath of the Wild is also a must play. Not sure if this is helpful, haha, but really any Nintendo games are worth playing if you're looking for a place to start.

Sorry I meant Metroid Dread. I own New SMB, BOTW and Kirby Allstars, for my kids but I need a game to play for a few minutes each day. Dread was perfect. I beat it in three weeks, only took 8-9 hours. Maybe I'll pick up super Mario 3d world + Bowser's fury. I just want a free game to fiddle with a bit each night before I sleep. I hate paying $60 for a game that I may get 10-15 hours from, so the library is perfect.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't think I'd be into Mario Strikers but the demo is super fun. Wintendo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Congo Caper was a weird little game

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Congo Caper was a weird little game

Fun fact: in Japan the game was titled Fighting Caveman 2: The Adventure of Rikki, indicating it as a sequel to Joe & Mac: Fighting Caveman . When they released what we call Joe & Mac 2 in Japan, they called it "Fighting Caveman 3: The Protagonists are Joe & Mac Again"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_%26_Mac_2:_Lost_in_the_Tropics#cite_note-3

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
where the gently caress is caveman games

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Bonk's Revenge is the best caveman game.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 29, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about the Flintstones treasure of the Sierra madrock

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

KingSlime posted:

Just met Riki in Xenoblade...

I take my earlier very enthusiastic praise back!! This is a Bad Videogame

Riki makes the game way better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why did they have to voice riki like that

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Riki is hero-pon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bug Squash posted:

Had a problem with my 2fa where I had to reset my Google authenticator and Nintendo login system did not like that. I had to email customer support to get 2fa taken off and I only managed it because I was able to get my Nintendo ID off of my 3ds. I'm not sure I'll put 2fa back on, as this felt like a close call.

jackhunter64 posted:

It's definitely not helpful to hear after the fact, but almost every story I've heard of 2FA trouble has involved Google's effort. I use the built-in iOS one now but Authy is also a reliable cross-platform alternative. Life is too precious to risk using software made by an advertising company.

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, like others have stated, the problem is the Google Authenticator app. I learned this the hard way, too, and is precisely the reason I use 1Password.

Twelve by Pies posted:

If I get my Nintendo account back, assuming the Switch/dock has the serial number in a readable state, the absolute first loving thing I'm going to do after changing my email on it is turn off 2FA. I wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't had it on.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't know that there's anything inherently wrong with Google Authenticator. It basically turns your phone into an RSA token and yeah, if you lose your phone you're screwed. The problem with is probably more fundamental in that people nowadays expect cloud backups to protect them against lost (or upgraded) phones. I'm sure Authy is also great, but cloud backups of your TOTP seeds (even if encrypted) is strictly a weaker security model.

Personally I think any service that takes your money should support SMS-based 2FA since if you lose your phone you can recover your SMS service with an appropriate level of effort.
The Problem is that for every loving other thing Google does or makes it's all "hey don't worry it's in the cloud so you'll never lose it" and then with Google Authenticator they go "oh whoops haha you're hosed there's no cloud no backups and actually no way to backup or transfer your tokens at all". It's a problem 100% created by it being a Google product and the expectations that come with it. Imagine if you lost all your Google Docs or GMails every time you switched phones.

Here's a 9 month old fairly exhaustive video that covers 2 Factor (2FA) and TOTP security very much in depth and why various authenticators work (or don't work) the way they do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXSyxm9jmmo

IIRC regarding the authenticators his main points are (these may be outdated now)

-Google Authenticator is bad because no way to transfer tokens (or no way that actually works?) so they're stuck on your old phone forever

-Authy is bad because they only offer transfer to other Authy products and basically they keep all your tokens secret and once you get them into the Authy ecosystem you can't get them out

-Microsoft Authenticator is strangely the most generous one because it offers free transfer and backup of your tokens? This might have been from another video I'll try to find it.

He also talks about SMS 2FA and IIRC the big thing that has made it so strongly discouraged in recent years is that bad actors have gotten really good at breaking it including SMS spoofing and such so it's just incredibly insecure now.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 29, 2022