Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

namesake posted:

I think we're just at autocracy or oligarchy rather than fascism. National pride is a driving force of fascism, not just a cover for the ruling classes incompetence and crimes.

Fascism wants to do big things, like exterminate underclasses or restore empires, the Tories just want to live out hedonistic individual power fantasies.

Lol, it shows how hosed we are that I found this post genuinely comforting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Some tories want to restore the empire and wipe out the underclass. Other tories just want to erode democratic freedoms and principles to such an extent that the former group could easily do so if they ever gained control (which they definitely will do at some point).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Well they can't easily restore the empire, just deport all the immigrants. Maybe invade Ireland if they're feeling spicy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Grim

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1530331447193739264?s=21&t=LPG1VgTZt_QZGRGuKZQ3xA

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

KEITH! The Novel.

https://twitter.com/Geri_E_L_Scott/status/1530463014939402242

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

She is lowkey one of the biggest monster in the government. Absolute garbage person

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1530215450222657536

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Dad Jeaned Philanthropists

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

OwlFancier posted:

What if the queen was a disco elysium character

New Black Mirror script leaked.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Tory defector Christian Wakeford has been appointed to shadow labour

https://labourlist.org/2022/05/tory-defector-christian-wakeford-joins-labours-shadow-education-team/

It just sickens me that these Tories are welcomed with open arms yet Corbyn a staunch member all his life has the whip removed. And these Tories who have publicly expressed terrible views are considered ok whereas long-standing Labour members who hold left views or may have once pressed 'like" on a green party tweet are suspended or expelled for views that may have expressed in the past.

We have to get rid of the Tories but by golly voting for kieth just doesn't sit right yet in my constituency it's the only realistic way of kicking out the Tory.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

It is claimed the man used the substance on a fellow Conservative MP, who awoke to find his nipples being licked.

The story doesn't specify if this happened at Boris Johnson's b-day party, which means it must have been.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This made me realise I don’t know, when do people usually develop a sexual identity, based on our latest understanding?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you mean gender, some people report feeling a strong affinity with one from a very early age. Given that society considers it a fairly integral part of a person and people will, at least, be exposed to the concept from birth, it seems reasonable that it could manifest as early as the concept can be understood.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if there was a meaningful difference back when infants were infants and we put them all in dresses and gave them wooden horses and such to play with.

Like we know that trans and nonbinary people existed back then, but how did childhood expression differ back when there wasn't a whole industry devoted to making people think their kids will grow up queer if they don't piss in a frog correctly?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Adrian Chiles now identifies as a 🐸

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We should go back to that and also keep doing it until we die.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I guess we found the chemicals that make frogs gay (and also into a very specific kink)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

We should go back to that and also keep doing it until we die.

Wait are you living in a different timeline where we stopped?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Go back to not gendering infants, I mean.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Like we know that trans and nonbinary people existed back then, but how did childhood expression differ back when there wasn't a whole industry devoted to making people think their kids will grow up queer if they don't piss in a frog correctly?
In victorian times baby boys would be allowed to wear dresses, which obviously the victorians were notorious for their flexible and permissive views on gender.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

This made me realise I don’t know, when do people usually develop a sexual identity, based on our latest understanding?

There was a paper a little back on 300+ kids who were allowed to socially transition at line 7-10 years old, and 5 years later 98% had stuck with their new identity and were really happy with it.

So, pretty drat early!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In victorian times baby boys would be allowed to wear dresses, which obviously the victorians were notorious for their flexible and permissive views on gender.
The history of gender and sexuality in society is definitely not one of linear progress though, nor is it one of simplistic GC just-so stories about how we didn't have all this gender back before the gender industry started making genders, so it's worth figuring out how things were even if how they were wasn't all rosy at many times.

Kids up until the ages of 6 or 7 not being socially gendered much seems more of a Georgian thing, and the Victorian era was the start of a move away from that other than for babies, in addition to all the gay panic stuff among the political classes.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Top legal officer to the government doesn't understand the law.

Quelle surprise.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tory defector Christian Wakeford has been appointed to shadow labour

https://labourlist.org/2022/05/tory-defector-christian-wakeford-joins-labours-shadow-education-team/

It just sickens me that these Tories are welcomed with open arms yet Corbyn a staunch member all his life has the whip removed. And these Tories who have publicly expressed terrible views are considered ok whereas long-standing Labour members who hold left views or may have once pressed 'like" on a green party tweet are suspended or expelled for views that may have expressed in the past.

We have to get rid of the Tories but by golly voting for kieth just doesn't sit right yet in my constituency it's the only realistic way of kicking out the Tory.

This a trillion times over. What's to say he wont just continue voting on issues the way he has been, and thus just adding a -1 to Labour? Defections should be automatic by-elections.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 28, 2022

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Article actually undersells braverman attempting to blame schools for the existence of trans kids and clearly telling them they should refuse to acknowledge it. Then it swaps sex and gender every time for we reason.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think it's by the age of 2 that kids will have developed a like-self /not-like-self relationship to gender through the voices around them, and that sets up the foundations they'll build on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

This a trillion times over. What's to say he wont just continue voting on issues the way he has been, and thus just adding a -1 to Labour? Defections should be automatic by-elections.

Nope.
In the UK we vote for politicians, not parties. So voters who have chosen Rapey McCrackhead to represent them in their constituency have done so because he's Rapey McCrackhead. The fact that he is a member of Labour/the SNP/the Tories is more or less inconsequential as far as the way Parliament is set up, so if McCrackhead decides that the Tories are doing badly enough that he might not get elected next time, he's free to join any other party that he wants. It's then up to the voters to decide at the next General Election whether they still want to vote for him - he could face re-selection, after all (lol if you think Labour would put up a candidate against someone they persuaded to defect, though).

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can they switch seats within another Party or do they have to remain in that seat regardless of which side they sit? I guess this is the crux of why I would want to have a say, if they were elected in a completely different constituency then plopped into another.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Diet Crack posted:

Top legal officer to the government doesn't understand the law.

Quelle surprise.

Why would the way he's been voting be any different to the way current Labour would want him to vote

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are elected to a seat and can not be removed from that seat other than via recall ballot or if you take specific offices that are "under the pay of the crown" or something like that. Working directly for the monarch or something.

Recall ballots can be triggered if an MP can not attend parliament for a specific length of time, I think a year, usually as a result of being imprisoned or severely ill.

There is, in fact, no actual method for an MP to resign either, so they have some ancient defunct offices that exist purely so that MPs can take them and then be technically unfit to serve as an MP and this is how resignation is handled.

You can change your party affiliation however you like and you can do different ministerial jobs or jobs within your party (or actual other jobs) while you are an MP. Also technically you don't have to be an MP to hold office in government or in a political party though most parties have rules that say you do have to be an MP to hold most of the top jobs in their organization, though of course those are waived whenever they are convenient for the leadership because who's going to stop them?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 28, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can also be impeached by Parliament and lose anything from your office to your head, but Parliament has agreed that they're no longer going to do that, but theoretically they could undo that by simple majority.

In a battle between Johnson and decorum poisoned melts that isn't going to happen though, it's more likely that Johnson rewrites the rulebook to give himself unilateral authority to do that and then it passes by a margin of 5 votes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

There is, in fact, no actual method for an MP to resign either, so they have some ancient defunct offices that exist purely so that MPs can take them and then be technically unfit to serve as an MP and this is how resignation is handled.

I think you will recall that a MP last year tendered a six-inch steel resignation with immediate effect.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

I think you will recall that a MP last year tendered a six-inch steel resignation with immediate effect.

I'm being Mrs Dim. To whom do you refer?

kingturnip posted:

Nope.
In the UK we vote for politicians, not parties. So voters who have chosen Rapey McCrackhead to represent them in their constituency have done so because he's Rapey McCrackhead. The fact that he is a member of Labour/the SNP/the Tories is more or less inconsequential as far as the way Parliament is set up, so if McCrackhead decides that the Tories are doing badly enough that he might not get elected next time, he's free to join any other party that he wants. It's then up to the voters to decide at the next General Election whether they still want to vote for him - he could face re-selection, after all (lol if you think Labour would put up a candidate against someone they persuaded to defect, though).

While we technically vote for a person not a party, I'm sure the evidence is that actually many people vote for the badge not the person? Note how MPs who were formerly elected under a party badge generally fare very badly if they stand as an independent in their constituency against the new person with the badge?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 28, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evidence is thus far inconclusive as to whether being dead stops you from being an MP or whether you are merely transferred to one of the other, secret legislative chambers.

You could call it "joining the shadow cabinet" if we didn't already use that for something else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm guessing they mean David Amess being murdered. Or Jo Cox I guess.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Amess

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh right, thanks. For some reason I misremembered that he was shot not stabbed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i look forward to comparing keith book in amazon rankings to the CUKTIG book and rik waller's autobiography and whatnot

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

While we technically vote for a person not a party, I'm sure the evidence is that actually many people vote for the badge not the person? Note how MPs who were formerly elected under a party badge generally fare very badly if they stand as an independent in their constituency against the new person with the badge?

I was going to say the same thing as well; I guess that's evidence of how broken this country is electorally that no-one is engaged enough to understand the difference or even care.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's part of the reason why defecting is fairly uncommon; it almost always puts a hard deadline on your parliamentary career. I guess if you were an MP who was really well-liked and got plenty of publicity and enough money to run a very aggressive campaign, you could probably make it work if your constituency was pretty centrist.

But yeah, my original point was fairly tongue-in-cheek. The system is set up so that we vote for MPs, but in reality, most people vote for a party.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Because he would then be breaking the Labour whip and would be kicked back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

forkboy84 posted:

She is lowkey one of the biggest monster in the government. Absolute garbage person
yeah, gently caress me this is repulsive

'they're probably just doing it for attention or something, smack some sense into them'