Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Failson posted:

Anyone experience feeling really irritable and angry in the morning, then it just slides into deep sadness by the end of the day?

It's become a consistent thing for me, and I've had no success breaking the pattern.

Have been on an SSRI for ages, and I'm wondering if it's not enough anymore.

Is this associated with intrusive thoughts or is it just a generalized mood thing? Does it still happen no matter what activities you're doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Well, my younger brother (33) is more or less determined to commit suicide. He was hospitalized earlier in Feb this year for massive withdrawls resulting in non-stop seizures and convulsions and had a liver with enzyme count and inflamation higher than anything a doctor had ever seen for someone his age, like wasn't going to make it past 45. he was there for a few weeks on ativan and discharged, and started drinking heavily again immediately and lost his job, dui, and just today was hospitalized again with massive damage. He'll probably drink again and that'll be the end. he had a big phenazepam binge blowout over a decade ago with similar issues (duis, arrests, etc) and I thought that was a wakeup call as he seemed to have been doing fairly well and stable afterwards, but I guess not.

i honestly don't have anything to say than than offering support or if he needs anything. we aren't very close (both geographical or online), and i dont think he has many friends (and maybe there was a blowup with his group recently, i don't know) and probably doesn't see much of a future. He had a fairly stable decent job for many years though. I'm not going to scold him and tell him not to because it wouldn't matter -- poo poo sucks out there. Even though he could have moved out he still lives with the parents (which was/is a very alienating mormon-lite nuclear-family white flight suburb household where rule of the household was never to talk about anything being wrong, especially about yourself, ever) which probably contributed a lot and not a healthy environment. also I guess on some level I get it.

What do you even do with someone who's determined to use a bottle-shaped-bullet? i honestly don't know. in hindsight there were probably lots of things I could have done but I don't know now.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Failson posted:

Well done! Hope it goes well!

Anyone experience feeling really irritable and angry in the morning, then it just slides into deep sadness by the end of the day?

It's become a consistent thing for me, and I've had no success breaking the pattern.

If by consistent you mean like, 365 days a year, I'd take that as a sign that it's time to talk about adjusting your meds. AFAIK SSRIs are not by default a long-term solution, might even just need to be on a different one.

Xaris posted:

Well, my younger brother (33) is more or less determined to commit suicide. He was hospitalized earlier in Feb this year for massive withdrawls resulting in non-stop seizures and convulsions and had a liver with enzyme count and inflamation higher than anything a doctor had ever seen for someone his age, like wasn't going to make it past 45. he was there for a few weeks on ativan and discharged, and started drinking heavily again immediately and lost his job, dui, and just today was hospitalized again with massive damage. He'll probably drink again and that'll be the end. he had a big phenazepam binge blowout over a decade ago with similar issues (duis, arrests, etc) and I thought that was a wakeup call as he seemed to have been doing fairly well and stable afterwards, but I guess not.

i honestly don't have anything to say than than offering support or if he needs anything. we aren't very close (both geographical or online), and i dont think he has many friends (and maybe there was a blowup with his group recently, i don't know) and probably doesn't see much of a future. He had a fairly stable decent job for many years though. I'm not going to scold him and tell him not to because it wouldn't matter -- poo poo sucks out there. Even though he could have moved out he still lives with the parents (which was/is a very alienating mormon-lite nuclear-family white flight suburb household where rule of the household was never to talk about anything being wrong, especially about yourself, ever) which probably contributed a lot and not a healthy environment. also I guess on some level I get it.

What do you even do with someone who's determined to use a bottle-shaped-bullet? i honestly don't know. in hindsight there were probably lots of things I could have done but I don't know now.

I'd appreciate any advice people have on this, since I think my little brother is eerily similar though it's seeming like he's doing OK for the moment.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

probably everyone knows this but don't let alcoholics stop cold turkey

untreated delerium tremens has a 1/3 mortality rate iirc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is a complete shot in the dark armchair diagnosis from a fellow brokebrain but you mentioned your family wasn't very supportive of mental issues (deliberately or no)- do you think that might be a problem and if there's anything you could do about it? I know when I was younger I had a very "stiff upper lip" family and was pretty resistant to going to therapy at first, but thankfully my parents realized something was up and encouraged me to go.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

This is a complete shot in the dark armchair diagnosis from a fellow brokebrain but you mentioned your family wasn't very supportive of mental issues (deliberately or no)- do you think that might be a problem and if there's anything you could do about it? I know when I was younger I had a very "stiff upper lip" family and was pretty resistant to going to therapy at first, but thankfully my parents realized something was up and encouraged me to go.
i don't think anyone in my family or extended family has ever seen a psychiatrist, on either side of the family; it's just not something You Would Do If You Are Normal, and We Are Normal.

anyways, he was put into a hospital room but just now moved back into the icu with dead kidneys, extremely bad liver, and at risk of respiratory failure so well, yeah he's getting a psychiatrist if he lives. they finally acknowledged that. unfortunately now he may not be able to go on any medication.. soo....

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:14 on May 18, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Xaris posted:

i don't think anyone in my family or extended family has ever seen a psychiatrist, on either side of the family; it's just not something You Would Do If You Are Normal, and We Are Normal.

anyways, he was put into a hospital room but just now moved back into the icu with dead kidneys, extremely bad liver, and at risk of respiratory failure so well, yeah he's getting a psychiatrist if he lives. they finally acknowledged that. unfortunately now he may not be able to go on any medication.. soo....

Sorry, that really sucks. I hope he can get the help he needs. I know that admitting you both need and deserve help is a big problem

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
That sucks rear end. Having an addict in the family is really frustrating. It reminds me of the "why can't you just be normal" lady.

The way I dealt with it is to write him off but offer to be there if he ever decided to recover, but this was my cousin, not brother, and after getting used a couple times during earnest attempts to bond while he (disingenuously) said he was sobering up. Now he just avoids me and hits up my mom for money.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Failson posted:

Well done! Hope it goes well!

Are you taking the SSRI in the morning? I have bipolar, and it was diagnosed as depression for years before I got my current diagnosis. I know a lot of other people in the same boat. I'm not trying to diagnose you, but that's what SSRIs do to me.

I've had better luck with Wellbutrin, which works on dopamine instead of serotonin. I've been on a slew of different mood stabilizers, and they all seem to have some lovely side-effect for me. I settled on Lamictal for now.

As usual, I'll include my disclaimer: Your mileage will vary. I don't recommend for or against any medications. This is what works best for me.

Xaris posted:

I'm so sorry. Mental illness very obviously runs in my family, but no one seems to acknowledge it. Holy poo poo does that make it hard to get help.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

Sorry, that really sucks. I hope he can get the help he needs. I know that admitting you both need and deserve help is a big problem
Welp, he's dead so I guess it's moot :smith:

I guess now it's going to be about me getting help instead and helping my parents.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 14:44 on May 18, 2022

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I’m so sorry. my condolences.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Please accept my condolences, Xaris. And yes please get help.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Xaris posted:

I guess now it's going to be about me getting help instead and helping my parents.

gently caress

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Condolences

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Xaris posted:

That's awful, I am sorry

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Tulip posted:

I'd appreciate any advice people have on this, since I think my little brother is eerily similar though it's seeming like he's doing OK for the moment.

Sorry for the recent loss in this thread. I didn't check if there's a spot with resources in the OP. Not sure if something like that would be helpful. I wouldn't be able to plop a ton of poo poo down today, but can definitely do an effort post on what's out there (assuming you're in US anyway). The absolute hardest part is getting people engaged in treatment, which just gets harder the more the person is not willing to help themselves. Also not to mention how addiction treatment can sometimes be loving awful in quality and/or access depending on where you are.

But off the top of my head here are two suggestions:

For family members affected by an addicted loved one there are 12 step meetings specifically for that called Al-Anon. Traditionally their focus is alcoholism (and maybe there's a narcotic version now), but my experience is that they're open to any addiction affecting the family. Also, family can be interpreted loosely here. https://al-anon.org/

And another off the top of my head: over the past 10 years or so now there are now state certified recovery coaches. Yes it sounds kinda hokey. But if you make sure they are state certified (or your states equivalent), and also make sure it specifically says "recovery" coach (not freakin life coach or whatever else tries to imitate), they are hands down the most useful service for people in the addiction stage- I don't give a gently caress or maybe I give a gently caress gently caress if I know. Which is the hardest one as you know.

Let me know if it'd be useful to go into a more in depth resource list for this, and I can try to do it on my free time. Which is *check schedule* well depends on how many ODs and suicides/attempts I'm working through next week. It's loving so rough out there right now for folks, especially who struggle with addiction. I wish I was exaggerating with my in awful taste joke.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I don't see anything about grieving or loss in the OP.

I'll have to dig around, but I don't think there's anything about dealing with family members/loved ones addiction.

I'd appreciate an effort post if you're up to it. I've been thinking about rebooting the thread with a new OP.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

If by consistent you mean like, 365 days a year, I'd take that as a sign that it's time to talk about adjusting your meds. AFAIK SSRIs are not by default a long-term solution, might even just need to be on a different one.

tcc has an addiction and recovery megathread, they may have more resources for you, either for yourself in coping with a situation like this or with what can be done to help your brother. they are very sincere there and I am quite sure would be happy to help you if they can.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've been analyzing myself and one of the things that consistently brings me down, really badly, is the failure to communicate the context and how long I've been doing this poo poo.

I've believed it gets better multiple times in the past few decades of this poo poo, and often the belief that it gets better has been the very thing making things get a lot worse. And it hasn't gotten better, at all. There's no fundamental change, I just end up stressing myself the hell out trying to improve things only to watch them regress to the mean.

People assume this is just depression and that things will get better if I seek help, but the thing is I've had professional mental health care with no break larger than five years (and no break at all for the last twelve) since I was a preteen and it first became clear there was something horribly wrong with me. This is me with as much physical and mental health care as I can possibly get, and these days the response from the healthcare staff is a very clear "there's nothing anyone can do", in those exact words.

As far as the "it's just depression" thing goes, I missed out on, uh, pretty much everything thus far. I see people posting about their nostalgia only to realize the only nostalgia I have is video games, and even then it's horribly tainted by things that happened to me. I've had five brain surgeries, I've spent more than a decade unable to properly control most of my body, I never had a normal school experience - I got placed into small-group classes for "difficult students" as a teenager, and I can't remember a single other student from those classes. Not that that is surprising, one of my most vivid memories of school is the teacher yelling at an another disruptive student for waking me up during class. No surprise in hindsight, my condition caused extremely severe insomnia - it still means I don't have a sleep cycle - and I got real grumpy as a result. I didn't have a social group, I didn't spend those years doing anything fun, nor was I learning all that much. I was just tired. I'm still tired.

I did have amnesia for a lot of years after getting cyborgized, so I didn't really have the full picture. Now I do, and I'm ever more consistently screaming "WELL IT HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER" (like in this thread), and frankly, just letting myself just be instead of constantly trying to figure out something I haven't tried to solve the pain has been, by itself, the best thing to do.

I mean, yeah, I have really severe nerve pain, all the time. My disability means I'm lopsided in a measurable way, which means moving hurts at all times, and staying still hurts too. I don't have a social life outside the internet, which isn't surprising given I've barely got a reason to leave the apartment. No job, because schedules are impossible. People are horribly depressed because of the pandemic, and when they say why, it's no different than my life has been for as long as I can remember.

I'm just depressing, and a honest description of what I've been through and what I've gone through makes people assume I'm spiraling. Which I'm not, I'm like this all the time. People don't like to spend time around me, and honestly, same, but I have tried everything I can think of. The accusations of me making it all up start coming in well before I've reached the halfway point of awful trash. Also there's a whole loving lot of hostility, especially as I try to be honest about who I am and what hurts me. Because I get hurt over a lot of supposedly normal things, given all the trauma.

I mean, I know the answer is "there's no answer". People either get it before I say a word, or they never will.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I have a lot of sympathy for you, endless monotony, but whoever told you that your mental health can't get any better is full of poo poo. To the point where I'm skeptical of it even being said, and that idea just being what you heard. If talk therapy isn't working, finding a new therapist could help. I know you're not in the US but thehandtruck has a great quote about finding a therapist in the 2nd post of the thread and a lot of the points outside of the specific listing sites should apply.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

I'm so sorry dude.

I lost my younger sister to suicide after a few years of heroin addiction in 2019. I still think about it every day and it's something that will never go away.

Reach out to people around you, that's all that you can do.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

endlessmonotony posted:

I've been analyzing myself and one of the things that consistently brings me down, really badly, is the failure to communicate the context and how long I've been doing this poo poo.

I've believed it gets better multiple times in the past few decades of this poo poo, and often the belief that it gets better has been the very thing making things get a lot worse. And it hasn't gotten better, at all. There's no fundamental change, I just end up stressing myself the hell out trying to improve things only to watch them regress to the mean.

People assume this is just depression and that things will get better if I seek help, but the thing is I've had professional mental health care with no break larger than five years (and no break at all for the last twelve) since I was a preteen and it first became clear there was something horribly wrong with me. This is me with as much physical and mental health care as I can possibly get, and these days the response from the healthcare staff is a very clear "there's nothing anyone can do", in those exact words.

As far as the "it's just depression" thing goes, I missed out on, uh, pretty much everything thus far. I see people posting about their nostalgia only to realize the only nostalgia I have is video games, and even then it's horribly tainted by things that happened to me. I've had five brain surgeries, I've spent more than a decade unable to properly control most of my body, I never had a normal school experience - I got placed into small-group classes for "difficult students" as a teenager, and I can't remember a single other student from those classes. Not that that is surprising, one of my most vivid memories of school is the teacher yelling at an another disruptive student for waking me up during class. No surprise in hindsight, my condition caused extremely severe insomnia - it still means I don't have a sleep cycle - and I got real grumpy as a result. I didn't have a social group, I didn't spend those years doing anything fun, nor was I learning all that much. I was just tired. I'm still tired.

I did have amnesia for a lot of years after getting cyborgized, so I didn't really have the full picture. Now I do, and I'm ever more consistently screaming "WELL IT HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER" (like in this thread), and frankly, just letting myself just be instead of constantly trying to figure out something I haven't tried to solve the pain has been, by itself, the best thing to do.

I mean, yeah, I have really severe nerve pain, all the time. My disability means I'm lopsided in a measurable way, which means moving hurts at all times, and staying still hurts too. I don't have a social life outside the internet, which isn't surprising given I've barely got a reason to leave the apartment. No job, because schedules are impossible. People are horribly depressed because of the pandemic, and when they say why, it's no different than my life has been for as long as I can remember.

I'm just depressing, and a honest description of what I've been through and what I've gone through makes people assume I'm spiraling. Which I'm not, I'm like this all the time. People don't like to spend time around me, and honestly, same, but I have tried everything I can think of. The accusations of me making it all up start coming in well before I've reached the halfway point of awful trash. Also there's a whole loving lot of hostility, especially as I try to be honest about who I am and what hurts me. Because I get hurt over a lot of supposedly normal things, given all the trauma.

I mean, I know the answer is "there's no answer". People either get it before I say a word, or they never will.

Hey you loving rock. If nobody reminded you today in spite of it all. I hope this post reminds you of this, and that you have value and are a cool dude to talk to.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I have to go to my grandmother's funeral virtually tomorrow, and I don't know what I'll say if they ask me to speak about her at it. Not because I didn't love her, I absolutely did, but I only found two days ago and apparently she died at the start of the month. That combined with the stuff on the news just has me just incredibly numb. I've had a hard time processing things this year, even enjoyable things. My alma mater won a championship, and something upsetting had happen earlier in the day that made me so torn up that I couldn't even float along with ebb and flow of the game without melting down. I'm finding it harder and harder to sustain enjoyment in things I know I should enjoy, though I still get enjoyment from small quiet moments at times, a particularly nice walk through the neighborhood or listening to the right classical music while writing. But the ability to call up emotions on demand, positive ones anyway, has proven very difficult. Reminiscing about the dead requires a certain nostalgia, a certain wistfulness that usually I can evince easily, tap into all the time for my work, but right now, I feel very dead inside. I hope the people at the funeral understand I'm just processing. Who knows.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
How the gently caress do you actually get a talk therapist? I tried looking up therapists through my insurance and finally ended up with a psychologist that I'd been seeing for 4 weeks only for her to finally tell me "hey I'm not actually qualified to handle this degree of talk therapy I mostly do medications, you need to find someone else to provide that." Okay lady no hard feelings I understand but your profile said you provided therapy. Nearly all of them do, but I guess that's a big asterisk because then it turns out they do not. I thought I used to understand the distinction between clinical psychologists and clinical psychiatrists but now that I'm shopping around again the distinctions seem really blurry and nobody actually lists their practices like this. My current psych suggested calling my companies HR and asking them about services they provide and said it was common that they will offer up to 5 free therapy sessions but how accurate is this advice really? Excuse me sounding paranoid as a commie but the idea of even speaking a word to HR about any kind of mental health related issue sends a giant red flag signal up my spine that they're not going to give a poo poo or help me out or do anything but refer me to my insurance, who so far just tell me to use their lovely online search tool to look up a practice. Just getting a PCP through my insurance (United Healthcare) was a goddamned disaster and they have all literally lied about where their practice is actually located so I had absolutely no luck getting anyone local and ended up with a PCP in another whole fuckin city the last 3 times I've tried. I gave up on that part and just accepted my current PCP as is because at least they will just write a referral for me over the phone so whatever. I don't give a poo poo about medication and now I have that covered anyway, but I really want is a good old fashioned sit down and talk it out psych and so far nobodies advice within my own insurance or my doctor has actually gotten me closer to this. Video conferencing would be fine, preferable even. But my current psych said she did talk therapy at the interview stage and has coly come around to suggesting that isn't the case after a few sessions. Is talking to my HR a good idea? I live in Phoenix and have actual insurance through my work for whatever that matters.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

GoLambo posted:

How the gently caress do you actually get a talk therapist? I tried looking up therapists through my insurance and finally ended up with a psychologist that I'd been seeing for 4 weeks only for her to finally tell me "hey I'm not actually qualified to handle this degree of talk therapy I mostly do medications, you need to find someone else to provide that." Okay lady no hard feelings I understand but your profile said you provided therapy. Nearly all of them do, but I guess that's a big asterisk because then it turns out they do not. I thought I used to understand the distinction between clinical psychologists and clinical psychiatrists but now that I'm shopping around again the distinctions seem really blurry and nobody actually lists their practices like this. My current psych suggested calling my companies HR and asking them about services they provide and said it was common that they will offer up to 5 free therapy sessions but how accurate is this advice really? Excuse me sounding paranoid as a commie but the idea of even speaking a word to HR about any kind of mental health related issue sends a giant red flag signal up my spine that they're not going to give a poo poo or help me out or do anything but refer me to my insurance, who so far just tell me to use their lovely online search tool to look up a practice. Just getting a PCP through my insurance (United Healthcare) was a goddamned disaster and they have all literally lied about where their practice is actually located so I had absolutely no luck getting anyone local and ended up with a PCP in another whole fuckin city the last 3 times I've tried. I gave up on that part and just accepted my current PCP as is because at least they will just write a referral for me over the phone so whatever. I don't give a poo poo about medication and now I have that covered anyway, but I really want is a good old fashioned sit down and talk it out psych and so far nobodies advice within my own insurance or my doctor has actually gotten me closer to this. Video conferencing would be fine, preferable even. But my current psych said she did talk therapy at the interview stage and has coly come around to suggesting that isn't the case after a few sessions. Is talking to my HR a good idea? I live in Phoenix and have actual insurance through my work for whatever that matters.

never talk to HR unless you have to or you're actually friends with one of them.

psychology today is probably going to be better than your insurance company's lovely enterprise system. i suggest writing out a succinct summary of what you're dealing with and messaging 5 - 10 therapists through the psychology today search interface, after filtering based on your insurance company and whatever you may have been diagnosed with. (or filter based on "borderline personality disorder" which is famously impossible to medicate and also difficult to treat with talk therapy)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Probably Magic posted:

I have to go to my grandmother's funeral virtually tomorrow, and I don't know what I'll say if they ask me to speak about her at it. Not because I didn't love her, I absolutely did, but I only found two days ago and apparently she died at the start of the month. That combined with the stuff on the news just has me just incredibly numb. I've had a hard time processing things this year, even enjoyable things. My alma mater won a championship, and something upsetting had happen earlier in the day that made me so torn up that I couldn't even float along with ebb and flow of the game without melting down. I'm finding it harder and harder to sustain enjoyment in things I know I should enjoy, though I still get enjoyment from small quiet moments at times, a particularly nice walk through the neighborhood or listening to the right classical music while writing. But the ability to call up emotions on demand, positive ones anyway, has proven very difficult. Reminiscing about the dead requires a certain nostalgia, a certain wistfulness that usually I can evince easily, tap into all the time for my work, but right now, I feel very dead inside. I hope the people at the funeral understand I'm just processing. Who knows.

i'm sorry, that sounds horrible. maybe find a way to express some of the things you said in this post? you haven't had much processing time yet and it's pretty normal for memory to be affected by strong emotions. depressive symptoms like you're experiencing are a normal part of a sadness that's justified by the situation you're in. and there's no need to come up with a perfect eulogy. you can articulate more nuanced thoughts in writing later

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tungsten posted:

i'm sorry, that sounds horrible. maybe find a way to express some of the things you said in this post? you haven't had much processing time yet and it's pretty normal for memory to be affected by strong emotions. depressive symptoms like you're experiencing are a normal part of a sadness that's justified by the situation you're in. and there's no need to come up with a perfect eulogy. you can articulate more nuanced thoughts in writing later

It ended up being somewhat irrelevant since no one other than the pastor really spoke at the service. It was a short thing, less than thirty minutes, which struck me as odd, but then, it's in Texas, and people just might not be in a huge rush to mill around for awhile. So I'll be back to coping things at my own pace, hopefully with some nature walks and the like. Thank you for the advice, though.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

GoLambo posted:

How the gently caress do you actually get a talk therapist?

thehandtruck has a quote in the second post of this thread that might help. Additional info/tldr is that insurance either won't cover it or will mandate cognitive behavioral therapy, the most (and I'm using this term pejoratively) "billable" form of therapy. Use the listings on Psychology Today and go with your gut as far as who to contact. Expect to pay $100-$200 per session, but rates will vary and a sliding scale might be in place for whoever you talk with. You can get a free 30min consultation from any and every one of the therapists listed if they're accepting new clients to feel them out and ask about billing, method, whatever.

The annoying part will be getting in touch with them and hearing "sorry I'm not accepting new clients at the moment" a dozen+ times.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also try searching for them and see if they have a website, which can tell you more and also usually if they're accepting clients

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Jorge Bell posted:

The annoying part will be getting in touch with them and hearing "sorry I'm not accepting new clients at the moment" a dozen+ times.

and this is why you mass-text a 500 word form letter

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
The terms for professionals in the mental health is kind of disaray right now. It won't change in the next 50 years at least. Each state has different requirements and words and it's all pretty much made up and it's all really annoying and for the most part it doesn't matter except to stratify and bother people, the professionals included. For example in California, Counselor is a protected term but it also isn't lol. There are LPCCs, MSWs, LMFTs, Psychologists, PhD's, and Psychiatrists. Then there are charlatans, who are evil liberals are they call themselves Life Coaches. I've learned 1000x more from someone who describes themselves as a weirdo Reiki healer than a loving Life Coach. Inside their heads is just mayor pete's high hopes on repeat.

Anyway there are some differences though, might be helpful for this to go in the op. Also people reading the op lol.

Psychiatrist: PROBABLY NOT WHAT YOU NEED. This is a "higher" or more intense level of care. If someone has tried therapy for years, with different therapists and different modalities and still isn't feeling better, sometimes a psychiatrist can help adjust some of the neurochemicals floating around. Psychiatrics is one step below the level of care of hospitalization or partial hospitalization The general public has been duped and has no idea whatsoever how mental health works and they are by and large stupid. Most go to a psychiatrist FIRST instead of trying to work through things, the doc dopes them up, removes their super lows but also their super highs, and there they stay for years, zombified and tired. Luckily this is changing a tiny bit and there are more psych's out there who are under a different philosophy than that of the APA, which has nazi and hypercapitalist origins and expectations. Again, this is A HIGHER level of care. A psychiatrist is USUALLY NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF PROVIDING PSYCHOTHERAPY. Seriously, and if they do it's often dogshit, CBT neoliberal brain garbage. And Medication is NOT there to help you process and work through things, to heal or grow. It is there to STABILIZE and it can take years to get that stabilization right, so truly I do not think as many people need medication as are prescribed in america.

Psychologists: PROBABLY NOT WHAT YOU NEED. These people *can* provide psychotherapy, but their specialty is in ASSESSMENTS. They run a battery of tests to aim to pin down a very specific disorder for very specific reasons. Like Amber Heard saw psychologists in order to receive a diagnosis. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT NEED THIS BECAUSE AN LPCC OR LICENSED THERAPIST CAN DIAGNOSE. therapists are required to diagnose for a variety of reasons including billing for insurance. Psychologists are very expensive. They often research psychology and are linked to academia whereas the average Licensed Therapist usually isn't. I think you need a PhD to have the term psychologist.

Social Worker/MSW: PROBABLY NOT WHAT YOU NEED (well maybe). Most social workers that you think of work for agencies like department of mental health or department of child and family services doing case management and resource helping. In *those settings* they do not provide therapy. In general a social worker is there to help someone work through the democrat means testing phone tree hell that is america. That's right, it's so loving awful and complicated there is an entire profession designated for that job. In California MSW's CAN provide psychotherapy though and their training, much like LPCC's is almost identical to LMFT's. MSW's focus slightly more on resources but LPCC's MSW's and LMFT's overlap so much that if your loving dog dies or something their therapy is not really going to be different due to their training, only because they are different people.

LMFT/Therapist, Licensed Marital and Family Therapist: PROBABLY WHAT YOU NEED. They provide TALK THERAPY aka PSYCHOTHERAPY. In an ultra general sense they attempt to help you work through issues by creating a space where you feel comfortable talking about things. YOU DO THE WORK. Their job is not to lead you, convince you, or give you advice. By VERY WEARY of advice-giving therapists (within reason). I can talk more about this if people are interested/curious. Note: LPCC's and LMFT's are basically identitcal, it's stupid that there is a deliniation imo.

There is some overlap and nuance here, but hopefully this gives people a decent idea of what to look for.

When looking for talk therapy / psychotherapy (WHAT MOST PEOPLE NEED) imo the most straightforward solution is use psychologytoday. I think more info on that is in the op or something near it

also some nurses can prescribe brain pills for some reason, and there is another designation called PsyD which are doctors but not Doctor doctors but not psychologist doctors or brain doctors but they are doctors more than LMFT's and also do the same thing but not always sometimes they have less training than LMFT's lol its all made up.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 20:15 on May 28, 2022

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Boy those sure are some words on the subject, but I'm sort of finally putting things together. At least the general advice for hunting on psychology today is really appreciated and I appreciate ya people taking the time to inform my lazy rear end who is not reading the OP. Absolutely everybody in my network has just passed the buck on where to even look for resources, insurance tells me to ask my doctor, doctor tells me to ask my insurance, etc. Maddening poo poo.

LMFT / LPCC and expect to take some time and work finding any availability. I can work with that for now, thank you.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Thanks for the detailed writeup! I'm saving stuff like that in case I get around to rebooting the thread. I don't plan on messing around with the current OP.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Mess with it to update/add info, there are no sacred cows

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

That makes sense. I can add effortposts to the second post, and maybe put links at the top of the first post.

I usually find it more work to tweak someone else's writing than to start from scratch. I want something that's more inviting and navigable. I don't know if it's possible to make a table of contents with hyperlinks to stuff in vbulletin. I know I'm unlikely to read an OP even at my best, so I want it to be easy to get into.

Someone mentioned that there is a whole lot of sensitive stuff posted in this thread, and rebooting it might be a good idea to deal with that. That's a separate issue from the OP, though.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i’m havin a bad day week month time

i finally talked with a therapist yesterday. the amount of work i’ll have to put in to reach any of my goals is overwhelming. considering i haven’t enjoyed anything in years… <snip> like why fuckin bother, everything is boring and i’m not interested

mod edit: removed some personal information

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Jun 5, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

802.11weed posted:

i’m havin a bad day week month time

i finally talked with a therapist yesterday. the amount of work i’ll have to put in to reach any of my goals is overwhelming. considering i haven’t enjoyed anything in years… <snip> like why fuckin bother, everything is boring and i’m not interested

Hey at least you've gotten a start on some help, gotta give it at least some time to get working

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Jun 5, 2022

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Yeah I should be more patient. I feel like i’ve been patient my whole life, waiting for school to be over, waiting for my brain to mature and stop being weird (it didnt), waiting to heal from this and that, waiting for god knows what. this year i finally decided to get my driver’s license, and i managed to get it. didn’t make me any happier. succeeding at my goals doesnt make me feel good. now people expect me to buy a car, and i don’t really care to navigate the market and get scammed. that’s kinda how i feel about everything, it’s too fuckin complicated, too easy to gently caress up.

the only 'dream' i’ve had was to be somebody else, to not be me. <snip>

everything is boring, i dont like or enjoy alcohol or weed anymore, dont enjoy music, games, movies, books, creating art, exercise, food. im always in some kind of pain. always uncomfortable. my limited experience with sex was awful and i didn’t enjoy it at all. i’m so bored. <snip>

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Jun 5, 2022

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Have you seen a psychiatrist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've heard this line before from people who did, in fact, try being somebody else and eventually found a new "self" that worked pretty good for them

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Jun 5, 2022