Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah that's the part i really don't believe about all these stories: "my MIL slept with my husband, punched me in the face, and burned down the motel i was staying in, and then the whole family called me to tell me to lighten up, why can't you take a joke"

like... come ON

Yeah, because terrible people never come in packs, back each other up, and support terrible opinions! :V

Her family's decorum-poisoned and her BIL is a creep who sees something he'd do and is upset someone was mad over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

pentyne posted:

They get so mad when actual French people, from France, look at them strangely and say in English "what the gently caress are you speaking?"

It's apparently a peasant farmer equivalent so it's like having a conversation with someone with a thick rural drawl and acting like they have Received Pronunciation.

No, it's not. This is an old, often repeated talking point taken directly from linguistic assimilation practices of the 19th century. It was meant to discredit Canadians (at the time, only the French were Canadian), since if their French was somehow degenerate then the British could justify their repression. Quebec French is a widely used French variety and, like any other variety, it has a diverse range of registers and accents.

In fact, Quebec French is not anymore different from France French than American English is from British English. In both cases, there are obvious lexical and pronunciation differences (though no orthographic difference between both French varieties). One important thing is that American English is widely heard because of the US's far-reaching political and cultural influence, and so it's not easily discredited and is arguably the dominant variant, despite not being the original. The British can't say poo poo either way.

France, on the other hand, does not seek exposure to the various linguistic varieties it has spawned in America, the Caribbean, and Africa. It doesn't have to, since those varieties have little cultural power. A significant number of French-speaking immigrants live in France, but unsurprisingly their French is not well regarded or respected. Thus France remains (often willfully) untrained to listen to other vanities of French. This even happens within its own natural borders, where "provincial" dialects are discredited in favour of the Parisian ideal (not even mentioning France's longstanding history of crushing the minority languages within its borders).

The fact is, all French speakers understand France people (slang not withstanding), because we are heavily exposed to them in film, literature, and educational material. This is a heavily one-sided relationship, that is outrightly colonial in Africa and the Caribbean. So no, many people don't find it funny when a French person tells them "lol what the gently caress are you speaking?". It seems though like French people are opening themselves up, at least the large and ever increasing number of the them who have been immigrating to Quebec in the last 20 years (virtually no one from Quebec immigrates to France, strangely enough...).

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's apparently not uncommon with provincial dialects. The people who moved there in the first place spoke something resembling the metropolitan language at the time, then out of some misplaced pride refuse to update it even as the language changes. Along the same lines, American Southern English supposedly sounds somewhat similar to British English from the 18th century.

There is no misplaced pride here, and you can't "update" a language at will.

Quebec French's root is Ancien Régime, so pre-French Revolution. Quebec had virtually no contact with France after the British Conquest (1760) and, say, the Second World War. The two variants just evolved separately and in much different contexts. Quebec French was in close contact with English, which heavily influenced its slang and the type of anglicisms most often observed in its speakers. France French was a major language of politics, diplomacy, literature, and scientific dissemination well into the 20th century, and the country still enjoys important cultural capital to this day. Anglicism are very present in France French, but much more recent and much different in nature. It's not possible for Quebec people (or any other Francophone people) to simply adopt the France variety, nor would there be reason, as all variants are perfectly legitimate.

In the end, don't poo poo on people for the language they speak. They literally can't help it (mother tongue and all). (Some) American Southerners are hicks not because of the English they speak, but because they vote for Trump. Language can, and has been, a powerful tool of hegemony, and making GBS threads on specific variants is often a classist, racist or even sexist strategy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I would argue it is misplaced when it results in the aggressive chauvinism you see from American Southerners and Quebecois. Afrikaners come to mind too.

Aggressive chauvinism is the defining characteristic of the French though. Regional dialects exist. It’s kind of a strange thing to get angry about.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This week Quebec passed Bill 96, which among other things forces Cree and Inuit and other indigenous students to learn French.

This is some loving bullshit though. Pretty much all laws that mandate a particular language are.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bloody Mayhem posted:

No, it's not. This is an old, often repeated talking point taken directly from linguistic assimilation practices of the 19th century. It was meant to discredit Canadians (at the time, only the French were Canadian), since if their French was somehow degenerate then the British could justify their repression. Quebec French is a widely used French variety and, like any other variety, it has a diverse range of registers and accents.

In fact, Quebec French is not anymore different from France French than American English is from British English. In both cases, there are obvious lexical and pronunciation differences (though no orthographic difference between both French varieties). One important thing is that American English is widely heard because of the US's far-reaching political and cultural influence, and so it's not easily discredited and is arguably the dominant variant, despite not being the original. The British can't say poo poo either way.

France, on the other hand, does not seek exposure to the various linguistic varieties it has spawned in America, the Caribbean, and Africa. It doesn't have to, since those varieties have little cultural power. A significant number of French-speaking immigrants live in France, but unsurprisingly their French is not well regarded or respected. Thus France remains (often willfully) untrained to listen to other vanities of French. This even happens within its own natural borders, where "provincial" dialects are discredited in favour of the Parisian ideal (not even mentioning France's longstanding history of crushing the minority languages within its borders).

The fact is, all French speakers understand France people (slang not withstanding), because we are heavily exposed to them in film, literature, and educational material. This is a heavily one-sided relationship, that is outrightly colonial in Africa and the Caribbean. So no, many people don't find it funny when a French person tells them "lol what the gently caress are you speaking?". It seems though like French people are opening themselves up, at least the large and ever increasing number of the them who have been immigrating to Quebec in the last 20 years (virtually no one from Quebec immigrates to France, strangely enough...).

There is no misplaced pride here, and you can't "update" a language at will.

Quebec French's root is Ancien Régime, so pre-French Revolution. Quebec had virtually no contact with France after the British Conquest (1760) and, say, the Second World War. The two variants just evolved separately and in much different contexts. Quebec French was in close contact with English, which heavily influenced its slang and the type of anglicisms most often observed in its speakers. France French was a major language of politics, diplomacy, literature, and scientific dissemination well into the 20th century, and the country still enjoys important cultural capital to this day. Anglicism are very present in France French, but much more recent and much different in nature. It's not possible for Quebec people (or any other Francophone people) to simply adopt the France variety, nor would there be reason, as all variants are perfectly legitimate.

In the end, don't poo poo on people for the language they speak. They literally can't help it (mother tongue and all). (Some) American Southerners are hicks not because of the English they speak, but because they vote for Trump. Language can, and has been, a powerful tool of hegemony, and making GBS threads on specific variants is often a classist, racist or even sexist strategy.

This is a very good post.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pleads posted:

Rest in peace, baffled yelling chicken

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Evil Willow posted:

Double post, but I couldn't not post this one!

Wanked in the hotel pool, caught, wonder what the consequences are?

Sounds like a DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS in the making!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sounds like a DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS in the making!

That story is one of my favourites just because of the way he used all his political capital in the company to bury it only for it all to come crashing down because whatever he did was so egregious and obvious that hotel security footage was able to drat him.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirSamVimes posted:

That story is one of my favourites just because of the way he used all his political capital in the company to bury it only for it all to come crashing down because whatever he did was so egregious and obvious that hotel security footage was able to drat him.

What story is this? It sounds vaguely familiar.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for being upset with my father for “protecting” the family

quote:

I (23f) am very concerned that I’m having an irrational reaction to an incident involving my family.

While I was running errands, a bat was discovered in our home. My parents were trying to get it out and ultimately decided that the bat was ill and disoriented.

Eventually my mother texted me, asking me to come back home and help as working with wildlife is something I’m very comfortable with and what I got my BA in. I saw this as no problem as I was already heading home, though when I got there, they told me they’d killed it. They had not, instead, they had it under a box, in a net, and doused with Raid. There was a lot of frantic apologies to me but what had been done was done, and I sat rather numbly as they moved it outside into a bush.

For about five minutes I just listened to them explain that they were panicking, that it was already sick, and that they were worried about it biting my brother’s, me, or my dog while it’s clearly so disoriented. When my father asked me to forgive him I just started sobbing. I couldn’t (still can’t honestly) wrap my head around how they got to that “solution” or why they’d called me home to help just in time to see it.

I have a good relationship with my parents, but I’ve been more than icy with them. I know it’s just a bat, but the thought of it suffering from whatever illness it had only to die at the hands of whatever the hell was in that can has me in so much pain. I know they feel guilty, and I’ve told them I’m not angry which is true, just very upset.

I’ll add that later, when I was alone, I found it in the bush and gave it a bath in some dawn dishsoap and warm water (wearing proper ppe of course), as well as the fact that due to a particular cycle, I’m more than a little hormonal as well. Even so, I don’t feel like my reaction is too unjustified. AITA?

Some years ago when I was at work, my boss called me and said they had a small emergency and he needed me to come back to base...when I could. So it wasn't much of an emergency? He explained there was a bird who had flown into the window by his office, and it was dead, and he didn't know what to do with it.

I mean, it was a small bird, if it's dead, you...dispose of the body?

So I got back a few hours later and my boss told me, oops, the bird was alive still. But it had a broken neck. They had LEFT the poor thing in the alley by the door, where people drove back and forth, where any cat could have tortured it. The poor thing couldn't even move, but it was alive, and they left it in the loving sun, half under a car to die.

I put on my work gloves and took care of poo poo. When I went back inside, several assholes asked me what I had done, did I snap its neck, did I break its head clear off, did I crush it? loving ghouls.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Oh yeah the Langfocus channel also has a video on the differences between Québec French and Metropolitan French!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

CommissarMega posted:

What story is this? It sounds vaguely familiar.

Several threads worth of text so I won't copy and paste, but you can get most of it here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that poor bat :(

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

just a bat? gently caress you

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hm, I have a net and a box. Let's catch it in the net/box. Now it is unable to harm me.

Oh, also let's DOUSE IT IN POISON, what the poo poo?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If the bat was suspected to be ill, the best protocol would have been to capture the bat and hand it over for rabies testing. This kills the bat. Humanely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

If the bat was suspected to be ill, the best protocol would have been to capture the bat and hand it over for rabies testing. This kills the bat. Humanely.

Hi, Im Doctor Dante and this is about to get... smokin <begins airjuggling the bat with blood sample needles>

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Several threads worth of text so I won't copy and paste, but you can get most of it here.

quote:

I’m the director of operations at my company. Moments ago, I was told by my boss, in confidence, to prepare to be officially accused and made aware of a sexual harassment investigation on me. This is from an incident that occurred in June.

I need to know what steps I need to take to protect myself.

Here's what happened:

In June, the company was attending a conference and bought hotel rooms for everyone. At the hotel pool I chatted up with a female guest. I was getting pretty drunk and she brought up her husband. I asked "oh you're married?" And she said yes and that she has three kids. I told her that with a body like hers, I'm surprised she doesn't have 10 because I sure would give her 10 and I laughed. She smiled and sometime later she got out of the pool and I said "my oh my, your husband is a lucky man."

I didn't see her again and I got the vibe that she felt uncomfortable. I was a little drunk and would not have said any of that while being sober.

Apparently she found out the name of my company and complained to the hotel who then joined her in complaining to my company. We are also banned from the hotel for life.

I would like to know how I can get out of this with no blood on my hands. I make $125, 000 a year and cannot afford to lose my job and career. It was everything for me to get this position. I also have a family. My wife cannot know about this.

My boss (VP of operations) is a bit paranoid because I notified him 2 days after the incident and because I'm the best director he has ever had and I perform exceptionally well, he decided to sweep this under the rug and pretty much ignore it. I would never throw him under the bus so I will not mention that I told him.

quote:

I've been completely numb the past couple of days. I got fired.

They loving got surveillance of me. The investigator refused to show me the video and I denied the allegations vehemently. HR manager and VP said they interviewed "several people" and suspended me indefinitely. My boss told me afterwards to prepare for the termination notice.

I told my wife I was laid off. She can never know the truth. I don't know how long I'm going to spend jobless. I worked hard to move up in the world and finally got the job of a lifetime with a great salary. This is devastating.

Someone dug into this post history and found this gem

quote:

Recruiter hit me up on LinkedIn. She said there is a position she believes I would be a good fit for. This is a corporate position. I work as the same position right now but would get more pay which is nice.

I told her that I greatly appreciate the offer but i do not work with recruiters. If someone, particularly a Senior VP (who I would report to as I do now in my current role) believes I'd be a great fit, they can contact me and set up an interview.

This, apparently, was the world's worst thing in the world to say to her because she sort of went off on me. "Oh are you trying to say you are better than me? Who do you think you are?" Blah blah. She carried on but I didn't finish reading her message.

She was very bothered by me and eventually said that she has thousands of connects and that I shouldn't talk to a recruiter "like that" and she could "make a couple of calls" and ensure I "never get anywhere." Now, I'll admit I got a bit unprofessional because I don't appreciate threats. I told her the only power she has is the vagina she used to get such a position. She ended the conversation by calling me a sexist rear end in a top hat. I apologized for my comment and said I don't appreciate her threatening to take food off my table and that she should not have such an ego.

Anyways I need to know how hosed I am. Admittedly, she has gotten into my head. I'll be damned if a 22 year old college chick tries to ruin my career. I mean I also have thousands of connects as well anyways. I'll contact that Senior VP in the morning and see if we can set up an interview.

His wife ends up finding out

quote:

My husband did great on the phone screen & interview, but he never passed the reference check. He didn't work there. He'd never worked there. They would never have hired him after what his last company said about him: he'd been fired for sexually harassing a woman at a work conference.

He lied about why he was fired. He lied about finding a job. He lied about where the money he's been using to pay for thins has come from, he's been using our savings. He's been lying to me from the start. He probably lied about the girl on the volleyball team. I've been loving & supporting & enabling this monster for sixteen years.

I'm talking to a divorce lawyer soon, but it's so shocking. I feel so stupid. How did I not know? & how am I going to explain this to our son? This is going to rock his world & I mean like an earthquake, not a concert. He's 9 yrs old, what the hell do I tell him?

TL;DR: my high school sweetheart has a history of being weird about women, got fired for sexual harassment, lied about it, lied about getting a new job, & has been burning through our savings. I'm going to divorce him, but I don't know if or what I should tell our son about what's really happening

So, uh volleyball girl?

quote:

My husband & I were highschool sweethearts, got married in college. Senior year, there were accusations that my husband had been inappropriate with one of the girls on the jv volleyball team his uncle coached. It was kept really quiet, I only knew because my husband told me what was happening. He swore up & down it wasn't true, he'd never hurt a girl or woman, he'd never laid a finger on any of them, & he'd never said any of the things the girl was saying he had. It was just a dumb teenager with a crush being a dumb teenager with a crush, lashing out because he'd never even noticed her.

A couple years out of college, he got really, really drunk one night at a neighborhood bbq. He was falling all over the place & slurring,. I was trying to get him home & he fell into a couple of women who had been chatting, and he said some really inappropriate things.

A few years later there was another incident with with a woman when he was drunk at a work NYE party. I wasn't there for that one because I had a hospital shift & he told me she came onto him

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for being fed up with my wife not speaking French?

NGL, I said aloud YTA after reading the third word. Then got more and more pissed off as I went along.

I can guarantee this man does not actually speak Georgian anywhere near as well as he thinks he does.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 28, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my cousin she couldn't have her wedding at my parents house?

quote:

My parents have owned a farm with a vintage house and barn since the 80s. Since the property is large, they have hosted a number of family events. I was married there in 2011. My cousin (23F) has always been close with my parents. Her mother was killed in an accident when she was small, and my mother had been something of a surrogate mother to her.

When she got engaged to her girlfriend, my parents hosted the engagement party. During the party, my cousin approached my mother about having the wedding at their house. My mother told her they'd consider it, but it wasn't likely. My father had a stroke five years ago, ​so the property isn't maintained as well anymore. My cousin got upset. My brother took her outside to calm her down. She confided to my brother that having her wedding there has been a dream of hers since she attended mine. My brother tried to explain to her about the shape of the property. She couldn't understand why my parents, myself and my brother couldn't just "fix everything".

Two months later, my mother calls me in tears. My cousin had been texting my mother, wanting to know why she couldn't have her wedding at the farm. ​My cousin said they wanted around 200 people, with dancing and a dinner reception. My mother said absolutely not. At that point my cousin called and started screaming at her. My mother tried to explain there was no way to accommodate that many people on the property. My mother asked if she would be willing to scale down the wedding and my cousin said she wasn't going to compromise on her dream wedding. There is no parking for 200, the only bathrooms are in the house, and my mother isn't comfortable having that many strangers in the house. My cousin called her homophobic and hung up on her.

I called my cousin and told her she had no right to treat my mother that way. My cousin called me selfish and said I wanted to be the only one who had a wedding at my parents farm. I reminded her there were only 30 people total at my wedding. Also that it was 10 years ago, and both my parents and the property were in much better shape then. She said she doesn't understand why we can't just fix it all and make it her wedding present. To fix everything would cost around 8k. I told her it couldn't be done and she needs to be more understanding. She wasn't having the wedding at my parents house.

Since then, my cousin has blown up social media and has talked to several members of my family, calling myself and my parents homophobic and that we're terrible people. My parents and I have been fielding calls and texts from family asking why we can't be more caring and accommodating, since we've had family events there before. We've tried to explain that it's more about the scale of what my cousin wants (the engagement party was family only). This has caused a big rift in my family, and I feel I'm partially to blame because of my phone call. AITA?

Give me your house! (So I can invite 200 strangers over for a party!)

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

pentyne posted:

Someone dug into this post history and found this gem

His wife ends up finding out

So, uh volleyball girl?

Apparently the ex-wife is still around on Reddit, as the best-of group found out, and she was pregnant while all of this was going down. Unfortunately it looks like she didn’t get sole custody.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

darkwasthenight posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, what the gently caress. As satisfying as this is to read, it's one heck of a ride.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for emailing videos of people bullying me at school to their college admissions departments?

quote:

I am in my sophomore year of high school and these three people in their senior year were bullying me? Like for what, they don't even know me?

But I guess they had issues with me because I'm only one of two openly queer people at my high school and the other is a big guy who does judo. So I guess I'm the one people go to make fun of if they're cowards? Cause I'm a short chick who's outta shape. Idk

Anyway I started taking videos of them, I'd just put my phone in my pocket with the camera facing out and stand facing them when they said whatever poo poo they were gonna say. Which was usually slurs tbh

And after a bit, I thought of emailing the principal but my mom used to work in the school I'm at now and I found out the principal is a bigot and sexually harassed her when she worked there so there's no way I was going to see him about anything.

So I sent emails to all the schools the three people bullying me were accepted into. It was easy to find which because they put it all on insta like bragging?

So I basically wrote brief emails saying that I understood they had admitted this person, however in the months before starting college they had been behaving in a very bigoted way. I found each college's code of conduct and also pointed out which specific things went against their student code of conduct and said that in my opinion this behavior was likely to continue, and they should be informed before admitting them to classes or residences.

I didn't hear much back for weeks, except one email saying they can't discuss another students admissions, and one saying that they have received it and take this kind of behavior seriously but cannot disclose further.

Then at school I was called into the principals office and he'd found out that I sent those emails somehow. I still don't know how unless one of the college's told him or a parent or something?

I didn't tell him much because I was still pissed off at how he treated my mom when she worked there. And I told him that I didn't care to talk to him after hearing what kinda man he is..

But my mom is upset with me, both for confronting the principal after she tried to leave the job quietly and not burn bridges. She is worried it will impact her new job even though it's at a different school.

And she is also upset with me for sending those videos to colleges before going to her or to my teachers. I told her I didn't wanna trouble her and I wanted to handle my own issues myself and she said what I did was inappropriate and disproportionate. I said I didn't do anything but pass along someone else's words, and she said I was being obtuse...

I feel like on one hand she's right I did something extreme. But on the other they've all stayed the gently caress away from me and I know drat well that wouldn't of happened if I went crying to the teacher

AITA for having handled being bullied how I did?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mx. posted:

AITA for emailing videos of people bullying me at school to their college admissions departments?

Hell yeah kid, keep loving em up. To hell with your decorum poisoned mothee

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Biplane posted:

Hell yeah kid, keep loving em up. To hell with your decorum poisoned mothee

I'm not sure it's so much decorum as it is the mother not wanting to lose her job from any fallout. Since the post doesn't mention a father, I'm guessing the mother's trying to raise OP by herself. I don't fault the OP for what she did mind you, and it's a great lesson to teach her bullies, but I can certainly see where mom's coming from.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Whorelord posted:

I can guarantee this man does not actually speak Georgian anywhere near as well as he thinks he does.

I think that's a good guess and furthermore, learning new languages is hard and even knowing multiple languages is no guarantee on the next being easy. My partner speaks multiple languages including Wolof, Korean and Greek as well as several of their native dialects and is struggling with French. A number of workmates speak a number of languages and have given up trying to learn French even as they successfully learn Spanish or other new language to go on holidays in Argentina/whatever.

Our local workers live in a French official language country and a lot don't know French (or sometimes even Wolof - a dominant local language, in the early days we would have multiple translators to go from English to French/Wolof than another that didn't know English to go from French/Wolof a non-English/French/Wolof speaking Malinki native tongue - most locals (whichever native tongue) taught themselves English in about 18 months). The French speaking locals use their self taught English to communicate with the Québequise because they can't understand each other in French.

I could speak colloquial Egyptian Arabic in a year, can understand a lot of Wolof (has a simple structure and some key Arabic loanwords, which mixed with work jargon English loanwords meant I could muddle through) from the get go and multiple years of French lessons and 50k Duolingo points still has me struggling to say "good morning, I would like some water and a coffee with milk, please" and be understood.

yes, I am frustrated with my own lack of progress - a number of others have learnt excellent French from scratch in the same timeframe to the point that it's easier to for their work conversations with locals to be in French. It is very possible but not guaranteed.

E) that DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS story is wild, just worse and worse to read the follow up detail on Reddit. Of course ending up with the DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS (Retired) going weirdo anti-vax.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 28, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

Im not a lawyer, but I feel like a huge loving stink should be raised that this complaint as leaked to the principal in order to damage the student, and if not they should raise hell with that schools higher staff and donors.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is the most Quebec post possible lmao

I dunno 'if you live in a country for years it is at least polite to learn the language' isn't an unreasonable take, imo. If I moved to France and had French in laws I would expect to try to learn French.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Barudak posted:

Im not a lawyer, but I feel like a huge loving stink should be raised that this complaint as leaked to the principal in order to damage the student, and if not they should raise hell with that schools higher staff and donors.

I mean it could be as simple as when one of them got rejected for "conduct at your current HS in conflict with our code" that they could figure it out. Especially if they're really only focused on one kid, and doubly so if the college hinted at homophobia in any way. Then the student/parents complain to the principal who they might know is a piece of poo poo already.

If they're really only being awful to one person, it would actually be hard for the college to not give it away if they give any reason at all.

OP should go scorched earth and post the videos online and make sure the kids names are searchable to find it. Keep them out of any decent college.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sorry about your cock

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some years ago when I was at work, my boss called me and said they had a small emergency and he needed me to come back to base...when I could. So it wasn't much of an emergency? He explained there was a bird who had flown into the window by his office, and it was dead, and he didn't know what to do with it.

I mean, it was a small bird, if it's dead, you...dispose of the body?

So I got back a few hours later and my boss told me, oops, the bird was alive still. But it had a broken neck. They had LEFT the poor thing in the alley by the door, where people drove back and forth, where any cat could have tortured it. The poor thing couldn't even move, but it was alive, and they left it in the loving sun, half under a car to die.

I put on my work gloves and took care of poo poo. When I went back inside, several assholes asked me what I had done, did I snap its neck, did I break its head clear off, did I crush it? loving ghouls.

"I did the one thing you pussies were too scared to do, I had mercy"

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Thanks for the animal torture stories, CW. Always nice with my morning coffee.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Could you not post animal cruelty? Thank you. (This actually is already a rule)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You guys got a point about the bat post, I'm sorry.

AITA for calling in from work?

quote:

I’ve worked for [insert large grocery chain here] for three years, which obviously includes through the pandemic. Long story short, I’m a pretty good employee, so I’ve accrued a lot of hours in sick pay. I’m leaving soon, and was told explicitly that this company will not pay out even a single hour of sick pay to me once I quit. So…. Myself, my coworkers, and even my direct manager agreed that I should try to take as much of it as I can before I leave the company.

Except, this morning when I called in (genuinely sick the last few days), my direct manager gave me a mini-lecture about how I’ve been calling in a lot and screwing them over. He tried to double check that I definitely couldn’t make it in today. I told him no, I couldn’t, and that I was sorry for doing that to them, and he just said “okay.” And hung up on me.

It just left me with a sour feeling. AITA? Should I stop trying to use up my sick pay & just accept that I’m going to lose most of it? This job has sucked the life out of me & I’m ready to be done, but I’m not necessarily trying to burn the bridge either.

Do most places pay out sick pay? I know some do vacation but others don't.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cowslips Warren posted:

You guys got a point about the bat post, I'm sorry.

AITA for calling in from work?

Do most places pay out sick pay? I know some do vacation but others don't.
I don't know about the US but here if you're salaried sick pay isn't usually a thing you accumulate. There's a cap after which they'll usually start dropping you down half/no pay but you don't have a quota that gets banked or whatever. Which makes sense? You don't want people coming in to work sick so they can "save" their sick pay.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Unless the OP has some sort of mixed PTO/sick day bank then yeah I wouldn't expect to get it paid out either. The company owes you holiday pay, sick pay is a contingency thing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Unless the OP has some sort of mixed PTO/sick day bank then yeah I wouldn't expect to get it paid out either. The company owes you holiday pay, sick pay is a contingency thing.

Whether companies need to pay out accrued leave varies by state, there's no federal regulation on it I think. Many companies do anyway it to avoid the scenario the OP is creating, if someone gives notice and just goes on vacation there's not going to be a useful transition period.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Quick double feature...

AITA for NOT telling a guy what I do for work and letting him pay for my drinks during the whole evening?

quote:

My friend "Grace" invited me to a board game bar to play and have drinks with her, her boyfriend and one of their friend's "Nick".

We went to get drinks in pairs, Grace going with her boyfriend, meanwhile Nick and I stayed at the table and vice versa. So Nick and I had plenty of time to talk just the two of us.

Nick started the night by telling about his recent career change, he decided to quit his previous job, go to a coding bootcamp and he got a job as a developer one or two months ago. He was very proud of himself and his new salary and told me this multiple times.

He never asked me what I do for work, but talked about his new job quite a lot, occasionally saying "sorry, you don't understand that, haha". During the entire evening, I never told him I has been working as a software engineer for the past 4 years, because he never asked and honestly, I found it a bit entertaining.

When it came to the drinks, he invited me to every single one. "Don't worry about it, it's not a problem with my devoper salary." I told him multiple times he doesn't have to pay for me, but he insisted.

At the end of the night, when we were saying our goodbyes, he took out his phone to send me a friend request on Facebook. My job is listed in my profile, so that was when he realized that I'm software engineer.

He asked me if it's true that I'm a software engineer and I answered yes. He asked me why I haven't told him, why did I let him believe I was a cashier like Grace used to be (?? I never implied that), and why did I let him pay for everything when I probably earn more than him.

I told him that he never once asked and it was his fault he assumed. He could have simply asked me about my job, but he only wanted to brag about his. But if he wants me to, I can pay him back for the drinks.

He was a angry and said I made a fool out of him. I think he did that, not me. But now Grace and her boyfriend are on his side too, saying that it would've cost me nothing to tell him early in the evening and I only kept it for myself for my own entertainment.

Well, I did find it entertaining, but I don't really feel like I did anything wrong. AITA?

Man, newbie at being a developer and negging...

AITA for calling the cops on my friend.

quote:

I (26F) had a friend (25F) , we'll call her Ella , Ella lost her job about 1yr ago and since then she has been borrowing a lot of money from me and the rest of the group of our friend circle , she lives at her mother's house rent free , and for a jobless adult she spends a lot .

She goes out partying every Friday and Saturday , and does weekly shopping for clothes , dinner out each Tuesday , have constant dates with different men all week long . to do all of the above she takes money from me , promising that it's for good use , and she will pay me back once she lands a job.

Yesterday was my last straw , Ella came to my house asking for 500$ and I refused to give her the money , stating that she never pays it back and she have zero responsibility when it comes to money , she throw a fit and left.

Later at the afternoon , she came by to "apologize" , when she asked to go to the bathroom , and I left for the kitchen , 3 mins later I hear my front door shut and run outside to see her running away , I run upstairs to find my purse on my bed , and my empty wallet next to it , I had 1000$ in my wallet at that time. without hesitation I picked up my phone called 911 and reported a robbery.

At the evening , the cops gave back my money , and Ella was arrested for robbery , now I'm receiving backlash from her family and friends , telling me that It was so uncalled for , and I could have called them instead , and they would have taken care of it.

I'm pressing charges , but I can't help but feel that Ella just wasn't taught manners , and I went too far on her by calling the police.

"Sure she committed felony robbery, but have you considered :decorum:?"

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I work for a local govt and we accumulate sick days forever at the same rate but don't get cashed out in the end, which leads to senior employees in my office calling in sick every other Monday

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Whether companies need to pay out accrued leave varies by state, there's no federal regulation on it I think. Many companies do anyway it to avoid the scenario the OP is creating, if someone gives notice and just goes on vacation there's not going to be a useful transition period.
Vacation leave paying out yes, sick leave is a bit weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NTA but why did you have a grand in cash in your wallet