Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just think it's funny that Warbucks was all "I have solved the energy crisis, the solution was to drill for more oil and trust that someone will come up with alternative energy sources before we run out." It's literally the opposite of a solution, the problem still exists and he's just delaying it and hoping someone else does the hard work of solving the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I'm looking at that new assistant and hoping this isn't a "ethnics sabotaging capitalism" storyline. Or maybe I'm reading too much into "you're in charge of hiring but... I hope he went through the usual security clearance" and Warbucks would have been just as guarded about any new guy and I should stop trying to figure out if that hair and pointy nose are supposed to suggest something.

Eh, I'm definitely overthinking this, regardless of whether it turns out to be right.

In a 1979 comic it's completely possible that Warbucks is suspicious of the new hire solely because he has facial hair.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Old Mandrake, because it amused me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stultus Maximus posted:

I teach high schoolers. I'm a fairly laid-back and personable teacher; I get along well with most of my students.
That said, I don't think any of them would imagine inviting me to a graduation party and I wouldn't imagine accepting. The issues of professionalism and just general "adulting" don't seem to matter to Les though.

The punchline is literally the two adults gawking at highschooler bodies; professionalism is absolutely not a consideration.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

The punchline is literally the two adults gawking at highschooler bodies; professionalism is absolutely not a consideration.

It seemed like a swipe at like-- fashion and gender trends in general. Like they have to see the highschoolers in swimsuits to tell what gender they are. It's a gross joke.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 10/25-27/48

Love this panel.

Outbursts of Everett True May 30, 1919

And He Did! June 10, 1919

Cat Tales May 12, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 7, 1936

Mopsy January 17, 1938

Up Front May 10, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 29, 1952

Those Were the Days October 27, 1960

Wee Pals August 1, 1966

Dogbert May 8, 1967

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just think it's funny that Warbucks was all "I have solved the energy crisis, the solution was to drill for more oil and trust that someone will come up with alternative energy sources before we run out." It's literally the opposite of a solution, the problem still exists and he's just delaying it and hoping someone else does the hard work of solving the problem.
No, he bought dry oil wells and used the power of fracking science loving magic to turn them into extremely productive oil wells again, somehow. Using water and sand.

EDIT: wait doesn't he employ some middle eastern dude with actual magic powers

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Potsticker posted:

It seemed like a swipe at like-- fashion and gender trends in general. Like they have to see the highschoolers in swimsuits to tell what gender they are. It's a gross joke.

At its most basic, it’s a Kids These Days And Their Skimpy Shameless Swimsuits Showing their Bodies, which is still really loving awful considering it’s coming from their teachers who should conceivably only be at this party if it’s being put up and paid for by the school (and even then it’s fuckin weird).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "240 - Jucika Calls A Doctor"

"241 - Jucika's Leak"

"(Házkezelőség roughly means Management Company)"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (February 16-18, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (May 5-7, 1919)

Skipping over our Duck sauce tonight because Little Lefty has given us a lot to unpack. Just not in the strip itself. (September 21-23, 1936)

The front page of the Saturday Worker had a small, inconspicuous announcement, something that seemed to apply only to distribution.

The Monday Worker had bigger differences than morning delivery. Following the lead of the Sunday edition, The Daily Worker now included most of the departments you'd expect from a "normal" newspaper--just with a pronounced leftist editorial tilt. This seems to fall in line with probably the most successful Depression-era Communist project, sponsoring (but (let's be clear about this) not controlling) the Popular Front movement which played a part in shaping American Depression era mass culture through aesthetics.

And while we're thinking about aesthetics, see if you can spot the difference between the previous week's masthead and what met the faithful on Monday morning.

In the same spirit, the new-era Worker published our buddy Lefty on a freshly expanded sports page, one whose editor would develop into a key figure in breaking down the color barrier in major league baseball. That's a hell of a trick for a paper that, a few years before, would be just as likely to tell its readership American professional sports were a bougie waste of time.

Blondie From Zero (March 14-16, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 28, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Garfield, go back to bed

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 20, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Not much to joke about here..., or Hope those soldiers like long hikes in nature, or There have been worse road trips, but I'm at a loss to think of them

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (May 5-6, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 26, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 15-16, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 24, 1951)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that a major colorist fuckup on Val?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Val's two buddies went by land, Val and Arf went by sea.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Is this the same as yesterday's? Is there a new one?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/27/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 10/28-30/48

That's kind of a weak conclusion to "most of Brenda's boyfriends in one room at the same time."

Smokey Stover 2/29/48

Everyday Movies 3/16/35

"The Browns want us to go to one of their confounded parties -- shall we give them another chance?"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

No, he bought dry oil wells and used the power of fracking science loving magic to turn them into extremely productive oil wells again, somehow. Using water and sand.

EDIT: wait doesn't he employ some middle eastern dude with actual magic powers

Magic, is it? One of "Daddy"'s best friends is the Great AM, who is literally God Almighty.

Anyway, here's some Mandrake to cool off with.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doomykins posted:

Val's two buddies went by land, Val and Arf went by sea.

Oh you right

Not sure what I was thinking there

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I think these two are a match made in heaven.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (Mary Mary edition)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Is this the same as yesterday's? Is there a new one?

My bad! Here's the right one:

Blind Alley

Uhhhhh... Hrm.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Friendship with kangaroos (38/1937)

okay where did you say they're stranded again

Austria, obviously.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

I know that Comput-toon is incomprehensible now. I know that. But this one...just really stands out in how incomprehensible it is.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bad speech balloon placement like this once I could get, but then MacGruder went and did it again. The strip's been lazy for awhile at this point but yeesh. That's just plain sloppy.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...So If The Animals Go To War Is It Okay To Eat Dead Enemy Soldiers Or What, Now I Have Questions More Important Than The Current Plot Arc.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Goodness gracious the late seventies must have been a pretty wild time politically.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 31, 1975)

The punchline in today's Funky Winkerbean: Teenage weight obsession!

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 28, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 12-14, 1938; timg'd over the usual issues)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bernice, the Kiki de Montparnasse of suburban community college.

Some Guy TT posted:

Goodness gracious the late seventies must have been a pretty wild time politically.

Iranian hostages, energy crisis, the Reagan Revolution just around the corner... well, yeah.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I can't. The fruit is touching the ground here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Harold Gray was pretty right-wing in the same way a blast furnace is slightly warm, but he'd been dead for eleven years at this point. These strips are a bit of a surprise to me because the other Annie strips I've seen from Leonard Starr were more straight adventure stuff, with less political ranting than Gray. But I suppose "that darn gubberment can't keep up with private enterprise" is a trope that always sells.

Daddy Warbucks as an olde tyme Elon Musk is a pretty logical evolution of the character, absurd as that sentence may seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Daddy Cryptobucks