Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
is "how to blow up an oil pipeline" any good? for legal reasons i know it cant be nearly as cool as the title makes sound but i'd like to know it's still worth reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I'm impressed. We have some glyphosate white-knighters on this site but none that dedicated.

Many years ago the chairman of B.C. Hydro drank some herbicide at a press conference to mock people getting upset about Hydro using it to kill trees along the right of ways. The person who told me the story had actually used that herbicide (Tordon?) when he worked for Hydro and the stuff they used was viscous and smelled bad. Whatever the chairman swilled appeared to have been highly diluted. (Probably with Scotch, knowing B.C. politicians.)

Said chairman died years later of cancer. Again, probably alcohol induced.

Encrypted posted:

Chiming in to say there are better alternatives such as lanolin (sheep) based lubricant.

https://stottind.com.au/fluid-film/

Apparently it still has a tiny amount of petroleum additive but at least it's mostly wool wax.
People have been coating underside of car with it to prevent rust. It's also what they use for heavy machinery like lathe and other stuff.

It's good stuff, especially if you're trying to prevent rust as well as lubricate. Much easier than taking on a grey whale in hand to hand combat, dragging it to shore, and cooking it up. They've only just returned to the Salish Sea so the locals would probably get upset too, overly sentimental bunch that they are.

One minor problem is that dogs love Fluid Film so you have to be careful where you apply it or they'll be constantly licking your tractor.

im_sorry posted:

This looks a lot like a sewing machine my mom has, which used to belong to my grandmother. Does that one have a motor in it? The one my mom has uses a flywheel you spin by stepping on a metal plate to power it.

My wife inherited one that seems to be a transitional stage. It has a motor but it seemed to be tacked on as an afterthought, the treadle and the rest of the flywheel drive mechanism is still there and operable if the motor gives out.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32443197/

Hormonal and behavioural effects of motorboat noise on wild coral reef fish

Tl;dr:
The fish got real pissed and scared and have serious hormone changes when exposed to noise pollution, including reproductive and stress related hormones.

They don't seem to have been able to determine how long it takes for the fish to return to normal, but it noticeably fucks up their ability to get food and avoid predators, even after the noise stops. Sounds like they have a "hunker down & protect the home" reaction.

This always amuses me when the residents of the southern Gulf Islands go on the warpath about commercial fishing. The islands are lined with expensive houses and private docks. There's a huge amount of light spill onto the foreshore, constant small boat traffic, and landscaping causing increased siltation that's turning small harbours into cesspools. Probably a bunch of poorly installed / maintained septic systems in the mix as well. But sure, it's all the fault of the commercial fishermen. Vote Green!

I was in the water once when a small marine mammals research vessel cruised by. It was equipped with surface piercing / Robertson drives instead of the usual inboard/outboard propellers. The difference was amazing. The boat was right there moving at speed but when I put my ears underwater I could barely hear it. Pity those drives are so expensive.

I'm not sure what Cousteau was thinking when he came up with "The Silent World" for a book title. Sounds like he was full of poo poo on a number of points so I guess it fits.

One of my beehives is sounding a lot like a school of shrimp - bit like a coffee percolator. Need to check them tomorrow to make sure they aren't planning to swarm and take this year's honey production with them (again).

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

yeah; vilerat posted some insanely racist poo poo in his past too but they made him a fuckin mod

rime recanted his poo poo in the very post he was banned for and did some good info spreading at minimum

at least unban him so he can verify he's less of a shitheaded racist and he's trying to improve, or let him not then permaban him again for wasting another chance

these are great arguments to make in a QCS thread

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i dunno about all of you, but i'm advocating for billions to be killed in a nuclear hellfire

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I regret the derail. I only mentioned it because he got banned before I could ask him about this machine :allears:

I saw a bunch of animals outside today, guess things are still fine? :shrug:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

these are great arguments to make in a QCS thread

you really do live up to your avatar

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ELTON JOHN posted:

is "how to blow up an oil pipeline" any good? for legal reasons i know it cant be nearly as cool as the title makes sound but i'd like to know it's still worth reading

It's ok. It really doesn't have anything new for anyone who reads this thread.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mayday Cat posted:

carrying my fat american rear end with a palaquin of energy slaves so i can drive 5 minutes to the store and find a bountiful array of plastic laced goodies, each one the product of hundreds of hours of fertilizer and pesticide application producing the most tasteless garbage imagined since the begining of human memory

god I had totally forgotten about the energy slaves comic. people need to reference it more often so that it's always fresh in my mind whenever I start my car

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the forest service has admitted to starting the two fires in new mexico that have now joined into a very big record fire.
https://news.google.com/articles/CB...US&ceid=US%3Aen

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cup Runneth Over posted:

god I had totally forgotten about the energy slaves comic. people need to reference it more often so that it's always fresh in my mind whenever I start my car

someone post it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Real hurthling! posted:

the forest service has admitted to starting the two fires in new mexico that have now joined into a very big record fire.
https://news.google.com/articles/CB...US&ceid=US%3Aen

lol

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comic/energy-slaves/

This one?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't like the energy slaves comic. There I said it.

I do like the peak peak oil one though, a lot

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't like the energy slaves comic. There I said it.

I do like the peak peak oil one though, a lot

Yeah i don't like it either, haven't seen the peak oil one though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

ELTON JOHN posted:

it wasn’t really interesting to me, probably not interesting to anyone reading this thread who knows the needful. fossil capital is a much better work by the same author.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

wow no replies to my cool sewing machine post

do I need to say poo poo like "nuke [demographic of choice]" to get the Rime treatment? :allears:

it's very cool. i started doing embroidery to pass the time and relax (it's very meditative if you get into the rhythm) and make cool things, but also because sewing is a reasonably important skill to have once everything starts breaking down and it becomes harder or impossible to source all the mass produced garbage out there. probably i'll look for some kind of sewing machine some day; estate sales are fun and a good way to fill your house with stuff that would become garbage otherwise + reap some of the unearned wealth of all the boomers who are finally croaking.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

jetz0r posted:

So the thing to remember with old machines like this (and bicycles) is that they're very simple machines at heart.

good advice here. id also add that the sewing machine mechanism needs to be correctly "timed" in order for it to properly form stitches and run consistently. an out of time machine can present with a range of signs, for example as a subtle skipped stitch to the much more overt needle colliding with the rotating hook and bringing the whole operation to a catastrophic halt.

with that in mind, its definitely possible to make a problem worse (but not impossible to fix) if you dont know what you are taking apart and you can end up "chasing your tail" where one adjustment will cause one symptom to disappear and introduce another (programmers dilemma).

theres usually a few different processes you can follow to safely adjust the timing of a machine yourself depending on the specific issue the machine is having, youtube is often a decent resource for this. even if you cant find a specific machine a clone or ancestor machine may have a similar process you can adapt. of course, consulting an expert on these matters is never a bad idea. a properly serviced and timed machine will kick out millions of perfect stitches.

id also add if OP plans on running this machine for any serious amount of time they should consider upgrading to a servo motor with variable speed control if they havent already, it will be vastly superior to the old clutch motor in power and precision. a steel framed machine like that with a servo motor would likely be able to sew through several layers of leather with the right needle and if it had the clearance for it under the foot.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 11:01 on May 28, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
:catstare:

I have some very cool coworkers. I don't know how they found the relevant diagrams for my specific machine in like 120 seconds and the answer might scare me. Also I enjoy that last sentence which may as well say "the numbers are made up and arbitrary, but occur in convenient ordinal ordering"

I think this may well be my problem, gonna try to find out today.

Reverend Zero posted:

with that in mind, its definitely possible to make a problem worse (but not impossible to fix) if you dont know what you are taking apart and you can end up "chasing your tail" where one adjustment will cause one symptom to disappear and introduce another (programmers dilemma).

if this isn't just a fairly simple adjustment to the thread tensioner, then I am gonna keep my appointment with the vintage sewing machine guy next week and let him figure it out while I watch (he has "watch while I work on your poo poo" slots by appointment, pretty cool)

Also, Singer ended up making flight sims in the 80s which is sort of weird: https://www.nytimes.com/1983/08/24/business/singer-s-aerospace-success.html

edit: my mom was thrilled to hear I'm trying to use this machine again, but pointed out this one was NOT my grandmothers. She bought this one in Rochester NY in the 70s when it was already 30-40 years old, so, who knows how many owners it's had.

The foot pedal still works. I am pretty sure that the foot pedals to every MadKatz and Sony driving setup I sold as a gamestop employee 1999-2001, are all in dumpsters or oceans or basements now. And most of the ones in basements don't actuate anymore

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:19 on May 28, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

:catstare:

I have some very cool coworkers. I don't know how they found the relevant diagrams for my specific machine in like 120 seconds and the answer might scare me. Also I enjoy that last sentence which may as well say "the numbers are made up and arbitrary, but occur in convenient ordinal ordering"

I think ]

As a technical writer, I just love old manuals like that. The writing was so precise, and clearly grounded in a working knowledge of the machine.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Karach posted:

As a technical writer, I just love old manuals like that. The writing was so precise, and clearly grounded in a working knowledge of the machine.

nice, can I ask how your general job satisfaction is, and if you're comfortable what general piece of industry you're in? Getting good docs on things, internal and external, is such a loving chore. I am generally in QA and in theory I should write a lot more automation code than docs, but, when someone hands me some thing to test, if it doesn't have a well defined readme with everything I need to know about : what thing is, how do I run thing, where does thing run in real environments, what is I/O to/from thing, etc -- then the first thing I do is sigh and start hacking on the readme because I can't test poo poo if I don't know what it is, and we can't release poo poo if it's not tested. I don't blame devs for this, unless they have been specifically tasked with keeping docs for Thing updated, it's a loving daunting task to keep that stuff in sync. It's also critical. I am all for autogenerated docs where they work well, and stuff like APIs are very good at that. Your API still needs documentation that tells me what it's for and how to stand it up. Reading a bunch of endpoint descriptions and trying to reverse engineer workflows in my head is what drives me to drink at 11am.

My first job out of college (2005) we had a tech writer who was this mild, quiet guy but he would sit there listening to norse black metal all day while cranking out docs, which always amused me. I resume snooped him recently and he's still at the same place, now "Senior Technical Writer" which makes me think he must enjoy the work and the company. (company was a super cool non profit but it just got bought out and the one other person I know who was still there from 2005, peaced out the day after the acquisition went through).

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:27 on May 28, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

old sewing machines ftw. previously i picked up this post war japanese singer clone at a yard sale for $10 in like 2007 and it kicked rear end.

i got rid of it last year when i inherited a similarly aged machine from my grandmother.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I am generally in QA and in theory I should write a lot more automation code than docs, but, when someone hands me some thing to test, if it doesn't have a well defined readme with everything I need to know about : what thing is, how do I run thing, where does thing run in real environments, what is I/O to/from thing, etc -- then the first thing I do is sigh and start hacking on the readme because I can't test poo poo if I don't know what it is, and we can't release poo poo if it's not tested.

same

regarding "how to blow up a pipeline", it's okay. nothing revolutionary if you've read this thread but i think some of the knowledge is useful/interesting.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

nice, can I ask how your general job satisfaction is, and if you're comfortable what general piece of industry you're in? Getting good docs on things, internal and external, is such a loving chore. I am generally in QA and in theory I should write a lot more automation code than docs, but, when someone hands me some thing to test, if it doesn't have a well defined readme with everything I need to know about : what thing is, how do I run thing, where does thing run in real environments, what is I/O to/from thing, etc -- then the first thing I do is sigh and start hacking on the readme because I can't test poo poo if I don't know what it is, and we can't release poo poo if it's not tested. I don't blame devs for this, unless they have been specifically tasked with keeping docs for Thing updated, it's a loving daunting task to keep that stuff in sync. It's also critical. I am all for autogenerated docs where they work well, and stuff like APIs are very good at that. Your API still needs documentation that tells me what it's for and how to stand it up. Reading a bunch of endpoint descriptions and trying to reverse engineer workflows in my head is what drives me to drink at 11am.

My first job out of college (2005) we had a tech writer who was this mild, quiet guy but he would sit there listening to norse black metal all day while cranking out docs, which always amused me. I resume snooped him recently and he's still at the same place, now "Senior Technical Writer" which makes me think he must enjoy the work and the company. (company was a super cool non profit but it just got bought out and the one other person I know who was still there from 2005, peaced out the day after the acquisition went through).

sure. I'm in ag manufacturing. I write (well, mainly revise) manuals for machine operators and technical manuals for service staff for stuff like self-propelled windrowers and combine headers.

I enjoy the job well enough. it wasn't my dream job or anything; I got it after we decided to shut down the farm, and covid made WFH-type work more desirable. but it's turned out to be OK. on a day-to-day basis my job is to translate the grunts and hoots of engineers into something that a human being might want to read, which is kind of a fun challenge. I'm always amazed how completely unable engineers are to communicate what goes on inside their heads to normies; you need an elaborate Voight-Kampff interrogation process to draw out even the most basic explanations of the machines they've spent months designing. I also like the job because they tolerate eccentricity much more than in literally any other ag job I've worked, which, uh, is a good thing for me. it's also a job-for-life kind of place, once you've been there for 18 months or so.

I have a bit more Fancy Education than the people I work with (i.e. I know the elements of grammar and can apply them), so it's turned out to be a very easy job. otoh, it doesn't pay very much, and there's basically no career path in the company, so I want to move on to something else.

Actually, I want to move into the digital space because the jobs pay way more, have more vacation time, and many of them are remote. I'm a dumb tech baby, though, so I'm trying to bone up on API documentation with the course on this site. I'd love an opportunity to do entry-level work in this field, just so I can get my feet wet.

if you know of any opportunities to do the sort of work you're talking about remotely in Canada, let me know! I want to be writing those readmes you're talking about, and I even know what an endpoint is now!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
eh im sure its fine

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10861331/Entirely-new-kind-highly-reactive-chemical-Earths-atmosphere.html

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

Eh, it only works to amplify weight loss.

When you can't lose weight, it isn't useful. Or when you can't afford the surgery, the time off, or the required new diet.

Plus my problem took half an hour total to solve and gave me no complications. After three years of testing, including a colonoscopy, to get me approved for the specialist care. After they figured out what's wrong, which they never would have without my other care. The answer could have been found a decade earlier by fully investigating my stomach aches, but instead I got told to eat less by very serious doctors being very confidently wrong without ever putting in the loving work.

Wait, so what was you end diagnosis?++

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I’ve wanted a breast augmentation for years. I have saved up 10k, had two consultations, and found the surgeon to perform it. I decided to cancel the surgery because implants only last max 20 or so years and if you don’t get them replaced they can leak, harden, etc.

The world is collapsing around us. Right now. In 10-20 years I genuinely don’t see our society functioning in a way where frivolous things like plastic surgery will be commonplace or readily available. I genuinely feel that 10-20 years from now, most of us (minus the billionaires) will be in the midst of a full blown climate crisis. We’ll be destitute, dead, and refugees. People will die. People will starve. Peoples homes will be engulfed by floods and flames. Life as we know it is coming to a halt before we know it. There will be no more shopping malls, doctors visits, grocery stores.

I don’t want two ticking time-bombs in my chest that can’t be treated.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

climate change has gone TOO FAR

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cold on a Cob posted:

I’ve wanted a breast augmentation for years. I have saved up 10k, had two consultations, and found the surgeon to perform it. I decided to cancel the surgery because implants only last max 20 or so years and if you don’t get them replaced they can leak, harden, etc.

The world is collapsing around us. Right now. In 10-20 years I genuinely don’t see our society functioning in a way where frivolous things like plastic surgery will be commonplace or readily available. I genuinely feel that 10-20 years from now, most of us (minus the billionaires) will be in the midst of a full blown climate crisis. We’ll be destitute, dead, and refugees. People will die. People will starve. Peoples homes will be engulfed by floods and flames. Life as we know it is coming to a halt before we know it. There will be no more shopping malls, doctors visits, grocery stores.

this line of thinking wrt the future in 10-20 years is why i've been on a fitness kick for a few years now - i don't want to end up with an out-of-shape-goon medical problem with no way to treat it

also everyone should start flossing 2x daily if you haven't already, not only are boob surgeons going to be hard to find but so are dentists

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Think I've been in denial without thinking I've been in denial. I knew on a fundamental level the quality of life is going to get worse, but if those posts are anything to go by. Well there's no other word than gently caress.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

blatman posted:

also everyone should start flossing 2x daily if you haven't already, not only are boob surgeons going to be hard to find but so are dentists

Oh there'll be plenty of dentists.

There just won't be any anaesthetic 😬

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

there's no other word than gently caress.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cold on a Cob posted:

If you're not one by one replacing all your teeth with indestructible prosthetic ones I don't even know what the gently caress you are doing

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh there'll be plenty of dentists.

There just won't be any anaesthetic 😬

Yeah, India has a lot of street dentists. At least that level of toothcare will most likely be available.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you're not one by one replacing all your teeth with indestructible prosthetic ones I don't even know what the gently caress you are doing

getting every tooth replaced with a titanium alloy prosthetic sounds pretty badass ngl

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I shall simply steal teeth from younger people as and when required.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Will there ever be a mad Max movie brave enough to show an Immortan being baby-birded by his Chew Boys?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Think I've been in denial without thinking I've been in denial. I knew on a fundamental level the quality of life is going to get worse, but if those posts are anything to go by. Well there's no other word than gently caress.

It's incredible how many things we don't think of, that will def. get so much worse.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

have fun when nobody has massive plastic cans and all of us have tiny plastic penises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

ELTON JOHN posted:

it's light reading that is pretty much a more optimistic version of this thread, divided into three main chapters

it is also a great way to find yourself on a list even when you're just quoting the title