Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Be cool to see someone go into predator completely blind expecting just a conventional non sci-fi action movie

I totally agree, which is why one of my main criticisms of ‘Predator’ is that it opens with the Predator spaceship flying by Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The official Predator series, in general, has an insanely bad track record - especially when compared against Alien/AVP.

Like, I’d rather watch fuckin’ Guyver: Dark Hero or some poo poo.

Hey! Guyver:Dark Hero is a fun movie when taken on its own merits (low budget straight to video martial arts monster movie)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think there's any one thing that could have saved The Predator, it was all-around one of the worst movies of the year, if not the worst.

I’m a big Shane Black fan (the nice guys is probably my favourite movie) and I couldn’t stand it. The whole plot of the super predator is goofy, the cast is solidly B- and that ending hook (“iron predator”) is just cringeworthy. You can see parts of Shane Black’s style, like in the severed arm gag, but it’s just a lame movie that feels chopped up.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Predator 1 did a real good job of actually developing Predator as a character. He's not just a space monster. He's a sentient, space rear end in a top hat. The part towards the end where he sees Dutch's trap and kinda flippantly inspects it. The way he self-destructs like a sore loser.

I hate that Predator franchise/sequels interpreted the disrobed fist-fight as some sort of ritual honor duel. Predator is going full Commando Bennett yelling "I don't need the gun!" in that scene. He's pissed at this dumb primate causing him grief.

I always hoped we'd get a movie with a Predator that isn't a space rear end in a top hat, but just another member of his species. But all the members of his species turn out to be natural slasher villains. AvP2 for example, introduces the Predator named Winston Wolf, who cleans up messes. He still manages to check all the boxes like skinning and hanging someone, shooting people with his laser cannon, etc, instead of just being a different character.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Be cool to see someone go into predator completely blind expecting just a conventional non sci-fi action movie

I did this once. At the end when Predator takes off his mask, they completely thought it was some Scooby Doo poo poo where there'd be a person underneath in a rubber suit all along. Was not expecting a lizard crab man.

"I knew it! ...Oh!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodcider posted:

I did this once. At the end when Predator takes off his mask, they completely thought it was some Scooby Doo poo poo where there'd be a person underneath in a rubber suit all along. Was not expecting a lizard crab man.

"I knew it! ...Oh!"
I watched Psycho with someone who was going in completely blind. I'm being serious. Even the shower scene was a surprise.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A couple friends had never seen or heard of Alien or Aliens when I took them to showings at the Cinesphere. The entire first movie I was just grinning as all the jumpscares got them. During some of the moto USCM scenes in the sequel, one turned to me and said "I know why you love this movie so much."

Lynch's DUNE is a good one to watch with the uninitiated, too, but you have to get really hosed up. I watched it with an ex and a roommate who'd read the book years before but never seen the film, and we got blotto. I was the only one who finished the movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Splicer posted:

I watched Psycho with someone who was going in completely blind. I'm being serious. Even the shower scene was a surprise.

Psycho is an easy film to get caught off guard by even if are expecting the twist.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The best movie to show someone blind is easily From Dusk Til Dawn.

Vampires out of loving nowhere! :drac:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was going to say that. There is literally nothing that comes before to tip it off.

Can’t believe they blew the twist with the advertising campaign.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I was going to say that. There is literally nothing that comes before to tip it off.

Can’t believe they blew the twist with the advertising campaign.

The Blu-ray menus spoil the poo poo out of it too, if I want to show it to people I practically have to kick them out of the room while I get the movie going.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Once again VHS superiority saves the day

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think Predator 2 kinda gets that it should be as big a sendup of urban hellscape/exploitation action movies as Predator 1 was of lovely jungle ra-ra action movies, but doesn't really nail the landing because at no point do you buy Danny Glover as a guy who can take an alien that hunts intergalactic badasses for sport, even with help. Also yeah, implying that predators are in any way noble is kinda lame. Hunters aren't honorable warriors, they're hunting game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People just can't process the stone cold canonical fact that Harrigan >>>>> Dutch

DUTCH -

-> Gets his entire team killed by making them do some boy scout poo poo and then at the critical moment when everyone literally sees the Predator's blurry humanoid form in the net trap they just stand around and do nothing until it starts to escape

-> Sets more traps and engages the Predator in single combat but gets his rear end kicked until he gets lucky with the Predator's arrogance (and who can blame the Predator at that point because lmao)

-> Is said to have died of his wounds in Predator 2 like a chump

HARRIGAN -

-> Investigates the Predator throughout the movie while it's also checking him out, foreshadowing turning the hunter into the hunted

-> At the critical moment survives a straight on burner shot to the torso because he prepared

-> Cuts a Predator's arm off

-> Chases the Predator down to its ship and then guts it with its own weapon

-> Receives an old earth artifact back, there's countries that still haven't returned flags to each other, Harrigan accomplished like a few hundred years of interplanetary diplomacy in like a few days.

-> Explicitly walks off at the end instead of having to be rescued

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 29, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The best part about Predator 2 is how impossibly sweaty Harrigan is the entire time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harrigan kicks rear end. Harrigan hate is why NECA will never make him into an action figure and chose to skip him and make action figures from a crappy video game:

Also in response to “seeing non hunter Predators” that’s what the original end of the Predator had. The two predators working for the government were scientists basically. They could fight but that wasn’t their thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the best part of predator 2 is the over the top street gangs imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

A Predator vs The Warriors would loving rule.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

El Scorpio.... eees reaaaady!

I really like Predator 2 a lot. It's wacky and over the top but this is part of its charm. And it's the closest we will get to seeing Concrete Jungle on film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

The best movie to show someone blind is easily From Dusk Til Dawn.

Vampires out of loving nowhere! :drac:

Terminator 1 > Terminator 2 would top it if they never somehow knew Arnold Terminator was a good guy for the next 25 years.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Fuckin voodoo magic mon

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If you’ve ever walked into a place that has a bad roach infestation, they have an odor when they are present in mass numbers. It’s an ugly, oily kind of smell.

I always assumed the aliens must smell something like that, which is nauseating. I mean, they are huge, chitinous creatures that drool constantly. The stench inside a nest must be unfathomable.

But what do preds smell like?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Trout.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Crabs.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ewww.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MrMojok posted:

If you’ve ever walked into a place that has a bad roach infestation, they have an odor when they are present in mass numbers. It’s an ugly, oily kind of smell.

I always assumed the aliens must smell something like that, which is nauseating. I mean, they are huge, chitinous creatures that drool constantly. The stench inside a nest must be unfathomable.

That's actually a plot point in Them!, the '54 giant ant movie that Aliens takes some shots from.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darko posted:

Terminator 1 > Terminator 2 would top it if they never somehow knew Arnold Terminator was a good guy for the next 25 years.

I somehow saw T2 and FDTD going in totally blind and got to reap those rewards. Bonus points for seeing T2 for free opening night while peaking on acid.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

MrMojok posted:

But what do preds smell like?

like a sweaty deer hunter OP

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
or maybe some kind of shellfish smell

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

like a sweaty deer hunter OP

I'm now picturing the predators covering themselves in premium estrus human urine before a hunt.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

The best part about Predator 2 is how impossibly sweaty Harrigan is the entire time.

Hudson also has mega pit stains. Love the sweat and I love the texture to the film. From this kind of ubiquitous wetness to coarseness (the jackets) and then the dead cows when Busey's torso vanishes into the next dimension seem bone dry. Even the predator vision during that scene with all the imperfections as it cycles through feels very textured. The smokiness of everything, it's almost like an egg drop soup the way smoke hangs and swirls in the air like you could grab ahold of it. The way the predator's blood kind of blobs out in these gross gelatin globules. The ceramic medkit with the blue glowstick liquid is very crunchy. Then the predator's ship just has this completely different feel, smooth and metallic but not at all cold, you almost expect it to be warm to the touch.

Such a nice movie to watch.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hudson also has mega pit stains. Love the sweat and I love the texture to the film.

It's also a great bit on consistency, as the original specifically said that the demon comes when it gets hot, "and this year it grows hot". Predator 2 specifically happens in a heatwave and just adds to the feeling of poo poo being out of control. It has the dystopian, crime riddled feel of Robocop but with it's own unique, dripping feel

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I think the movie rocks. And as far as the sweat, it's funny how the 1990 film shows a heatwave that was kind of extreme for that time, a very rare thing, but is fast becoming a reality nearly every summer in LA today (and everywhere else)

If Yautja were real they'd be everywhere during the summer in places near and below the equator, and in a lot of places north as well.

I've been reading Concrete Jungle (the novel, not the comics) and while the writing is kind of, ehhh? it's been making me want to do a Predator/Predator 2/Predators marathon. It's starting to get hot here, and I just got all those on Blu-Ray a little while back, so it seems almost like it's meant to be.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yautja showing up in FNQ to bare-chest wrestle saltwater crocodiles would be extremely on brand.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm now picturing the predators covering themselves in premium estrus human urine before a hunt.

Suddenly the bare chested showing off the abs look on them takes on a new and horrifying meaning. Deliberate hunting strategy, put the right scent markers on and take out the prey while they’re staring in homoerotic confusion at you. Would explain why the majority of their targets are sexual tyrannosaur men anyway.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Oh word?

https://twitter.com/DannyTRS/status/1533497290739986432?s=20&t=8NLRXJtdDrNZiPCFLteasw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kgwoS9UprY

Too bad Dan!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i wish the predator and the native americans were friends

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004