Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Whatever it is, it's going to be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

Why?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sigher posted:

Read this snype and tried to work out what thread I was in without looking at the title and there were so many options that I'm genuinely just sad now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

It’s gonna kick rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the hunter has become the hunted and the predator must elude zaroff for three days or be killed

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When are we getting Predator vs. the Purge

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Has the thread talked much about "Without Warning," the first movie to star Kevin Peter Hall as an alien hunting humans?

It's a very low budget horror movie that feels a lot like a Friday the 13th knockoff, but looks great, is filmed by Dean Cundey, has roles with Cameron Mitchell, David Caruso, Jack Palance, and Martin Landau, plus a couple of other old Hollywood character actors. There are some pretty grody alien effects with these little flying discs that are like starfish but with tons of teeth, and the obligatory shack with dead bodies that have been attacked by the hunter, shades of Aliens there.

It's low budget, but still better than most of the Predator movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEfiNxMsI_0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I disagree because I think Predator has 3 good to great movies and one stinker.

But without warning is OK but the concept and alien are far cooler than the film.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree because I think Predator has 3 good to great movies and one stinker.

But without warning is OK but the concept and alien are far cooler than the film.

Are you including the AvP movies?

Predator and Predator 2 are great, and Predators has some moments, but I've not felt the need to revisit it.

I haven't gotten around to watching the latest one though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
predator predator 2 and predators are good movies imo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

predator predator 2 and predators are good movies imo
This.

I don’t even hate The Predator and I softened on it on a rewatch, and it has some cool moments but as a complete movie it’s a mess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PeterCat posted:

Are you including the AvP movies?

Predator and Predator 2 are great, and Predators has some moments, but I've not felt the need to revisit it.

I haven't gotten around to watching the latest one though.

I’m not only because they’re team ups. Only counting solo films.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
they should adapt bad blood into movie because bad blood owned and was a predator vs predator story done right and it owns

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 25, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got hyped as gently caress in Predators when they went at it.

It got my fanboy soul kickin

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the super predators were cool

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Predator 4 having a completely different kind of Super Predator was really stupid. And, just like in Predator 3, it kills off the regular Predator. I was so onboard with Predator 4 when I thought it would be about Predator and the Narcos guy teaming up to take on shady government black ops.

What is it with Predator sequels constantly doing homage and recycling stuff? I remember watching Predator 3 with my wife and when Long Tall Sally kicked in for the credits she said, "Why the gently caress is this playing?" Well, I said, it played in the background of a scene in the first movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The original ending had these scientist predators who’ve been working with the us government team up with the loonies to help them fight the super predator.

There’s pics of a predator driving a tank. They cut it for no reason

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

The original ending had these scientist predators who’ve been working with the us government team up with the loonies to help them fight the super predator.

There’s pics of a predator driving a tank. They cut it for no reason

They even made action figures of those two Emissary Predators wearing fatigues and holding human weapons, just cuz.

Their heads have interesting, unconventional shapes. I think the logic was that if human heads/faces have different shapes and sizes across the species, it can be inferred that Predators are different, too.

https://youtu.be/4N58PkPAQzA

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What was the deal with The Predator, anyway? How did it turn out to be such a mess?

I remember when Shane Black was the glory boy in town, and everybody wanted to hire him as a writer. Did the studio meddle, or has Black just lost it, or first-time failure as director?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

What was the deal with The Predator, anyway? How did it turn out to be such a mess?

I remember when Shane Black was the glory boy in town, and everybody wanted to hire him as a writer. Did the studio meddle, or has Black just lost it, or first-time failure as director?

Whole lotta studio meddling.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/predator-movies/predator-4/deleted-scenes/amp/

https://youtu.be/kmc4KHIsxrg

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So reading that and these alternative endings they may have shot, how in the gently caress are Ripley and Newt involved in that at all? They literally aren't alive for hundreds of years. I don't even get where that idea comes from. Arnold or Glover maybe, but those 2?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They were trying to do the universe MCU thing

But they settled with iron man

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

They were trying to do the universe MCU thing

But they settled with iron man
The Iron Predator suit is kind of a wacky idea but I like the design.

I also get a lol out of the idea that it first attaches itself to some random no-name scientist and he could have accidentally obliterated everyone in the room if he moved wrong or something.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Xenomrph posted:

They even made action figures of those two Emissary Predators wearing fatigues and holding human weapons, just cuz.

Their heads have interesting, unconventional shapes. I think the logic was that if human heads/faces have different shapes and sizes across the species, it can be inferred that Predators are different, too.

https://youtu.be/4N58PkPAQzA

they should have went with this because it would have been less boring and stupid than what we got

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bloodcider posted:

Predator 4 having a completely different kind of Super Predator was really stupid. And, just like in Predator 3, it kills off the regular Predator. I was so onboard with Predator 4 when I thought it would be about Predator and the Narcos guy teaming up to take on shady government black ops.

What is it with Predator sequels constantly doing homage and recycling stuff? I remember watching Predator 3 with my wife and when Long Tall Sally kicked in for the credits she said, "Why the gently caress is this playing?" Well, I said, it played in the background of a scene in the first movie.

The funniest part to me is they played the wrong version of Long tall Sally. I like they couldn't even be assed to Play the same one that was in the original.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

Considering Cameron plagiarized Harlan Ellison for Terminator, I guess I never realized how much of his Aliens plot he owes to Crichton’s Westworld (which was the test run for Chrichton’s Jurassic Park).

I think the differences are more interesting. The idea of creating a bunch of aliens just to have some aliens is, exclusively, an Alien 1 and Covenant thing. From the very start, when Mother has a conversation with her reflection in an empty helmet, you have AI characters striving to improve/replace an ‘imperfect’ humanity. Mother, David and Walter are acting totally at odds with what “the company” would want. (The Jurassic-Parkiest moment in the series is, then, when an accidentally-created alien casually smashes the image of Walter on a TV screen.)

The fan dogma that the company wants the alien as a bioweapon originates in a misunderstanding: Ripley says she can’t imagine any other use for an alien, and that was taken as gospel because Ripley said it. But what Ripley herself doesn’t fully understand is that the alien serves no human purpose at all. Mother obviously isn’t particularly super-psyched to help some guy sell the alien to the US military, or whatever. She’s got her own ideas.

(So, why would a human ever want an alien? One of the few good points in Alien 4 is that the amoral scientists are actually just bio-metallurgists, pursuing new flexible alloys or something. Yet, even then: why aren’t they just testing on animals???)

When you get to Aliens, the colonists obviously weren’t hoping to domesticate the aliens at all. There’s no ‘park’ here. And, beyond that, you have the basic narrative of Ripley living a mundane life and then jumping into the disaster-already-in-progress. That’s very different from Westworld’s narrative of a fantasy game that gradually becomes “too real” for the otherwise-boring protagonists. It’s key to the therapeutic narrative, where the state of the colony represents the Ripley’s ‘inner turmoil’, and the pacification of the crazed workers represents her ‘inner peace’.

Unfortunately, Aliens more closely resembles Crichton’s ridiculous climate-denial fantasy State Of Fear - and not just for the concept of weather-manipulation technology. If you permit the digression: State Of Fear isn’t exactly about climate change, for the basic reason that Crichton didn’t believe it existed. The whole ‘debate’ over whether climate change was real or not was largely irrelevant to him, because the true threat was the “state of fear” that would win Democrats elections and embolden the US’s terrorist enemies. The entire book is, consequently, about liberal bias in science and academia - its actual thesis presented in a brief moment where Prof. Smartypants declares cannibal tribes a racist myth, immediately before being eaten by said cannibals (a fate that Crichton describes with great relish).

(In very limited fairness to Crichton, his conspiracy-theorism is not strictly right-wing; it bears a lot in common with ‘leftist’ conspiracy theories - e.g. that the threat of covid was invented by the powers-that-be as a scheme to prevent stock market collapse.)

While Aliens isn’t as overtly moronic, the film displays a similar complete indifference towards even the basic concept of for-profit global climate modification. Good idea? Bad idea? Who cares! We’re talking corporate control over entire biospheres, yet focus is squarely on the ‘cannibals’ and those who enable them:

“This is clearly an important species we're dealing with, and I don't think that you - or I, or anybody - has the right to arbitrarily exterminate them.”
“Wrong.”
“Yeah. Watch us.”

In the above quote, Burke is, of course, totally right. If they get off the planet, the aliens have no way of following. The aliens pose no real threat compared to the threat posed by the atmosphere processor:

“In a technical sense of wealth as embodied in values, there is more wealth in a society where you pay for water since freely available water doesn’t count as wealth. ... The same goes for air: if, due to worsening air pollution, we need oxygen to breath normally, our society will in a formal sense get much richer and a new profitable industry will emerge.”
-Zizek

It’s entirely plausible that the promise of unknown mineral wealth around the Hadley’s Hope colony is just a pretence to sell air and water to people who otherwise wouldn’t need to pay for it - increasing the wealth of the colonies and the United States overall. In any case, it’s easy to see the inevitably of better climates for the rich and so-on.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hey SMG so I'm watching the movie Sicario for the first time and maybe it's cause I was reading this thread recently but in the opening shot of Emily Blunt in the APC it made me think of Sigourney Weaver in Aliens. Also, them finding a bunch of dead bodies in the walls of a house in Arizona made me think of the way the colonists in Aliens were gathered up. Just wanted to share these thoughts with the movie forums.

fake edit also it reminded me of the discussion in the thread earlier because this movie is about "the war on drugs"

Sicario is actually a thematic remake of The Empire Strikes Back, but comparisons to Aliens are inevitable for just about any film depicting militaries or militarized police. Cameron’s xenomorph, representing only scariness, is the perfect generic baddie. So of course they’re like drug dealers and gangsters too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think there's any one thing that could have saved The Predator, it was all-around one of the worst movies of the year, if not the worst.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think there's any one thing that could have saved The Predator, it was all-around one of the worst movies of the year, if not the worst.

The official Predator series, in general, has an insanely bad track record - especially when compared against Alien/AVP.

Like, I’d rather watch fuckin’ Guyver: Dark Hero or some poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The only way to "fix" The Predator is making it a full on comedy farce. It's almost there as it is.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone years ago said that Mr. Bean vs Predator would be great, and I agree. "The predator becomes increasingly exasperated with failed attempts to kill Mr. Bean, who is completely unaware he's being hunted."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m an idiot, I took the bait, Predator movies rule though

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Predator 1987 is like, the perfect riff on the action movies we saw in the early to mid 80s.

Dutch and his team are near-cartoon level actionmen, I mean it’s the gear, the wisecracks, their physical builds. And when they attack the guerrilla camp they lay a primo action-movie rear end-whipping on them, with all the classic types of poses and shots you’d expect.

Then things begin to change in the film, as they realize they are being hunted by something that’s a lot better at it than they are. The tables are totally turned, and as they get picked off one by one the actionmen are reduced to scared children. Kind of subverts the whole first half of the film.

I love it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone years ago said that Mr. Bean vs Predator would be great, and I agree. "The predator becomes increasingly exasperated with failed attempts to kill Mr. Bean, who is completely unaware he's being hunted."

This is basically the hit man plot from Dumb and Dumber.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It struck me that Predator is basically a slasher movie, but with tough guys instead of horny teenagers. Since the franchise has already embraced crossovers, run with it: Expendables Vs Predator.

Or The Fast And The Predator. "It's family... versus plasmacaster." Jason Statham could even be in either, or both!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
freddy vs predator vs jason

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Payndz posted:

It struck me that Predator is basically a slasher movie, but with tough guys instead of horny teenagers.

There's obviously some crossover, but Predator 1's actually a ghost story, in the same way that Alien 1 is a "haunted house in space".

If you want to get real specific, Predator's a very transparent ripoff of Alien - albeit one of the most successful. It's pretty much the same movie, but in the jungle with mercenaries, instead of in space with a tugboat crew.

The three Predator sequels at least provide a nice alternate look what the Alien series might have become.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MrMojok posted:

Predator 1987 is like, the perfect riff on the action movies we saw in the early to mid 80s.

Dutch and his team are near-cartoon level actionmen, I mean it’s the gear, the wisecracks, their physical builds. And when they attack the guerrilla camp they lay a primo action-movie rear end-whipping on them, with all the classic types of poses and shots you’d expect.

Then things begin to change in the film, as they realize they are being hunted by something that’s a lot better at it than they are. The tables are totally turned, and as they get picked off one by one the actionmen are reduced to scared children. Kind of subverts the whole first half of the film.

I love it.

I disagree with your premise, I don't think they start acting like scared children they start acting like normal people who deal with something that's beyond what they are used to. Being afraid of something you can't see that over matches you and has skinned people you view as equals would be terrifying.

One of the fun parts about predator though is that the people being hunted don't just curl up in a ball and cry but actively try and fight the predator, just ineffectively. At least until Arnold figures out a weakness and exploits it at the end.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Be cool to see someone go into predator completely blind expecting just a conventional non sci-fi action movie

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FastestGunAlive posted:

Be cool to see someone go into predator completely blind expecting just a conventional non sci-fi action movie
That's kind of always been my impression of it. It's also why I can see why people say it doesn't hold up so well any more; a lot of the genre conventions the first half is relying/riffing on (depending on your opinion) aren't really a thing any more, so instead of lulling you into a false sense of familiarity it ends up doing the opposite. Like if in 40 years you were trying to show a similar 2020s action movie -> sci-fi monster switch the hypothetical genz++ viewer would spend the first half of the film trying to work out why they filmed everything with the lights off.

e: Predator 2 with the FUTURE ULTRACRIME LOS ANGELES has the same issue

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The official Predator series, in general, has an insanely bad track record - especially when compared against Alien/AVP.

Like, I’d rather watch fuckin’ Guyver: Dark Hero or some poo poo.
Guyver Dark Hero is good tho

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aliens colonial marines retconned hicks into being alive and the games attempt to explain how he was still alive was so stupid that i couldnt bring myself to hate it lmao
The part where he tries to intervene in Alien 3 only to be too late anyway (and the WY anti-facehugger commandos are replaced with the generic WY mercs from the game because it's all stock assets) is hilarious, and the finale is actually a thrilling Left 4 Dead-like scenario which suits an Alien game much better than the game's earlier "just shoot everything" Call of Duty gameplay.

BiggerBoat posted:

The subject of the old PS1 Alien Resurrection game came up in the Things Dragging This Game Down thread and it's so weird.

I bounced off that fucker hard because I couldn't master the control layout and now it's pretty much the standard for FPS games. Anyone ever given it a fair shot or finished it?

The game got decimated in the reviews because the controls were considered impossible but I remember it had pretty good graphics and atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDKB1bsdkL8
https://twitter.com/yurahshia/status/1429865513690226697

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 28, 2022