Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

tokin opposition posted:

what defines the existence of a self? if i make a painting while disassociating, is it no longer art?

lmao at just assuming you're ever sapient.

either way definitions like that are subjective so it largely depends on the observer's philosophy so it can mean whatever you want it to mean... but in general the most self-consistent rational definitions would require a differentiating factor along the lines of e.g. ["can the thing spontaneously/independently create its own concept and definition of what it considers 'self' to be/mean, rather than simply parroting one programmed/hard-wired into it when prompted?"]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tias posted:

If they are actively producing art, I'd assume the only remaining priorities left to most artists is not starving.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tulip posted:

i absolutely adore how fast english conversations can fall into absolute chaos largely around the question of "does art have to be good"

It's art, really.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

fart

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

maybe someone can use this to make funny videos. https://lav.io/notes/videogrep-tutorial/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

here is a free original art from me to you:

8===D~

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol j/k that poo poo ain’t free hmu on venmo

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/rlycalm/status/1528848814026936320

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/mohammadshamma/status/1529267243011280896

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1530211383391944706

this is probably fine

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aggro hamsters is a more interesting way to go out than funking monkey pox.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Aggro hamsters carrying monkeypox

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
this 28 Days Later AU is kinda goofy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
(militarily) can you do the same thing to people?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AND YOU TOO CAN OWN A PIECE OF THE HAM IF YOU CONQUER THE AGGRO-HAM ON NICKELODEON'S GUTS

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmyleg posted:

All art is pareidolia, hth.

I goof with various AIs for fun in the PYF procedural generation thread, and I think it's given me a pretty clear view of what AI is good and bad at, at least for the moment. You can get incredible results, but you need to know what you're doing and you need to use a lot of creativity and curation and critical thinking to get a great result from your efforts.

As a UI/UX designer, I can definitely see an eventual end to my job as I know it due to these systems. While there's plenty of creativity and critical decision-making in designing applications, there are also clear precedents, principles, and guidelines in the space that I work in which could get a near-future AI 80% of the way there 80% of the time.

I don't think it's going to be a wholesale replacement of my field, but like many similar fields, for at least the foreseeable future my job may eventually transition into being more of a curator than a creator. I'll likely use my skills and expertise to direct the AI over the finish line, or check its work along the way, or create the set of specifications which result in the desired outcome—much like I might direct a junior designer and give them design specs.

Of course, this means fewer junior designers, but then the way into the field will just become being a junior curator. The creativity may eventually drain out of the field on the whole, making designers who create bespoke unique experiences rarefied or relegated to being theorists and researchers, but that's capitalism baby

Have you heard of the concept of self-expression?

As a non-commercial artist who's only ever gotten expenses out of self-expression: Yes!

I thought we were talking about NFT-era commercial douches looking for an angle so they could live off art, if not I misread it. My bad!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Mexican food is a burrito. What's yours?

*desperately holds eye contact knowing that my health insurance relies on this clunky line landing*

https://twitter.com/lmatsakis/status/1530568991537700864

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PostNouveau posted:

*desperately holds eye contact knowing that my health insurance relies on this clunky line landing*

Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Should have the followup question: Do you WANT the employee to make an effort to know you?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist

Because customers are sexist and racist, the employee's performance doesn't really matter, all women and minorities just get lower scores.

quote:

“Customer feedback is notoriously unreliable and discriminatory, particularly against women and people of color,” said Dallan Flake, a law professor at Ohio Northern University who has written about customer reviews. “Despite this, businesses are relying on it more and more in making employment-related decisions, such as promotion, termination and pay rates.”

But it's objective science you see so it's OK to use it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

still nothing compared to the psychosocial battlefield known as dutch bros

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

Should have the followup question: Do you WANT the employee to make an effort to know you?

Starbucks is selling $0.50 cup of coffee for $12, people are paying for an experiance

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PostNouveau posted:

Because customers are sexist and racist, the employee's performance doesn't really matter, all women and minorities just get lower scores.

But it's objective science you see so it's OK to use it.

it's amazing how much of our cyberpunk dystopia is just phrenology pt 2

take your biases, give them numbers, boom it's science now baby

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uhh, ok? just wait until you learn about knockout mice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

uhh, ok? just wait until you learn about knockout mice.
Welcome to the forums Mr Tezuka! I thought you were dead!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tulip posted:

it's amazing how much of our cyberpunk dystopia is just phrenology pt 2

take your biases, give them numbers, boom it's science now baby

It's not really clear that is what they're generally going for. This more just a tool to cow workers and make them feel like they're going to be out of a job soon to keep them in line.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Inceltown posted:

It's not really clear that is what they're generally going for. This more just a tool to cow workers and make them feel like they're going to be out of a job soon to keep them in line.

yeah it doesn't do much except establish pretext to fire someone or cut their hours, and if they're using some meaningless scores they just insinuate "whoever has the lowest score this month gets fired" to push workers to be overly concerned about their own grade and be more alienated/hostile/competitive to others... which aligns with the drive to shut down unionization efforts since solidarity doesn't really happen in a crabbucket thunderdome?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

This more just a tool to cow workers

Cow... tools? :hmmyes:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Splicer posted:

I just want you to know I get this reference and I appreciate you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bust the door, replace the hardware, bill landlord for materials and labor.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Splicer posted:

:lol:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
BTW
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/27/guinea-pigs-and-hamsters-could-be-culled-to-stop-spread-of-monkeypox-16723875/

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

if you dont give max marks on every question in a customer survey you are a piece of poo poo imo (as long as it pertains to a human being, otherwise why even bother answering)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

babypolis posted:

if you dont give max marks on every question in a customer survey you are a piece of poo poo imo (as long as it pertains to a human being, otherwise why even bother answering)

they probably normalize and throw out "good samaritan" questionaires with all top marks. obv this person isnt' genuine

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Bust the door, replace the hardware, bill landlord for materials and labor.

This only works if you're white, otherwise the neighbour that sees you every day will call the cops and you will get shot.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Antonymous posted:

they probably normalize and throw out "good samaritan" questionaires with all top marks. obv this person isnt' genuine

I'm pretty sure they do

customer satisfaction surveys exist to prove that there's "room for improvement" or to justify firing employees, nothing more

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1530841223262400512

Surveillance scrambling choker

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell yeah

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Antonymous posted:

no its just scaled so that employees get in trouble if their ratings go below like 4.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Programmer socks with faraday cage phone pockets, cat ears that block facial recognition, estrogen pills that installs Kali Linux on your dick