Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'd definitely agree the best entry point for Etrian Odyssey is 4 or 5.
Probably 4 if you want just a shitload of nice dungeon exploration with a lot going on, while 5 is much more focused on the very good basics of the series--but as part of that has some mandatory bosses that are just difficult as hell if you don't plan around their gimmicks & status effect weaknesses, while in 4 that type of boss is usually optional.

IIRC 3 and 4 both let you passively level up people in town so you don't have to retire your party members to try out high level versions of every class? Especially useful in 3 where there's a couple classes that feel awful unless you build them very very specifically lmao.

I didn't like Nexus very much, the "let's throw everything from previous games together haphazardly" approach doesn't really work for a game based around dungeon delving imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The crypto stuff is only in the global version yes

k time to sign up as a muskstronaut to get the good version

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

I'd definitely agree the best entry point for Etrian Odyssey is 4 or 5.
Probably 4 if you want just a shitload of nice dungeon exploration with a lot going on, while 5 is much more focused on the very good basics of the series--but as part of that has some mandatory bosses that are just difficult as hell if you don't plan around their gimmicks & status effect weaknesses, while in 4 that type of boss is usually optional.

IIRC 3 and 4 both let you passively level up people in town so you don't have to retire your party members to try out high level versions of every class? Especially useful in 3 where there's a couple classes that feel awful unless you build them very very specifically lmao.

I didn't like Nexus very much, the "let's throw everything from previous games together haphazardly" approach doesn't really work for a game based around dungeon delving imo.
hmm.... my only problem is that I'm not a huge fan of the majority of EO4 classes, while Nexus is very tempting because it has so many cool classes to pick from. :negative: I'm not a fan of how there's only one (1) healer class in 4 and they're not very interesting....

3 probably has the most interesting aesthetic, I love the coastal/island vibe and the dungeon going underwater. Also pirates. It's kind of a pain that it's a DS game tho.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

hmm.... my only problem is that I'm not a huge fan of the majority of EO4 classes, while Nexus is very tempting because it has so many cool classes to pick from. :negative: I'm not a fan of how there's only one (1) healer class in 4 and they're not very interesting....

3 probably has the most interesting aesthetic, I love the coastal/island vibe and the dungeon going underwater. Also pirates. It's kind of a pain that it's a DS game tho.

What about 5? It has some pretty rad classes and good party-building without being the clusterfuck that Nexus is. Highlights include the main tanky class being "big shield and a gun," or the hunter class that can summon an animal companion, or the necromancer class that is all about summoning ghosts and blowing them up.

Nexus has a lot of classes but it's very much a "quantity =/= quality" thing.

Also, 4 actually has two healers. There's only one straightforward healer (Medic), but you'll unlock Arcanist early on and they're extremely competent healers in their own right while also being great buffers/debuffers. EO4 starts you out with the more straightforward classes but you unlock a new one in each region as you go.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Also, 4 actually has two healers. There's only one straightforward healer (Medic), but you'll unlock Arcanist early on and they're extremely competent healers in their own right while also being great buffers/debuffers.

their insect limbs freak me out

V does have a lot of good classes though. The bunny people are great, and the shield+rifle tank is easily one of the coolest classes. She even has an eyepatch!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Once you unlock subclassing you can also do a Dancer/Medic, Dancer/Fortress, or Fortress/Dancer for decent healing shenanigans. The latter two definitely need to be supported by a lot of purchased healing items if they're your best healers though, since you'll need more burst healing than they can provide. I don't remember if subclassing is before or after unlocking the Arcanist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

Once you unlock subclassing you can also do a Dancer/Medic, Dancer/Fortress, or Fortress/Dancer for decent healing shenanigans. The latter two definitely need to be supported by a lot of purchased healing items if they're your best healers though, since you'll need more burst healing than they can provide. I don't remember if subclassing is before or after unlocking the Arcanist.

It's after IIRC, because I remember running an Arcanist as my only healer for a bit until I unlocked it and could go Arcanist/Medic (my preferred healer setup in 4).

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Me and some other people who are normally big EO fans burned out hard on Nexus because it's a really half-baked and overly long game. It's not very good honestly and would definitely not recommend it as your first EO.
Strongly recommend 4 as it's my favorite but 5 is also good. I would leave the Untold games until after those as they are good but have some issues and aren't quite as good as 4 and 5.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Full healers are kinda lame in EO games and stuff like Arcanist are more fun IMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just loaded up my old EOV save because I couldn't remember what my endgame party was. Frontline is Harbinger (Deathbringer), Fencer (Chain Duelist), and Pugilist (Barrage Brawler), backline is Warlock (Omnimancer) and Shaman (Divine Herald). Definitely a Chain Killer party, all about putting ailments and binds on enemies and exploding them with the Fencer's chain attacks, and the Harbinger would nuke with Frigid Reap. The Shaman would heal passively just by buffing the team--any allies would regain HP whenever a buff was applied, then as long as they were buffed they'd regain HP every turn and also whenever they took damage. I remember it being a really fun party to run.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 28, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I ran a very similar party, just with Hound Rover instead of Barrage Brawler.

I generally had a good time with it, but by the end of the game I really just hated the design of Deathbringer. I know he gets AoE disables, but a Dark Hunter who either has to spend turn 1 shrouding up or 10 sp for Auto-Shroud is a huge pain in the rear end.

For a lot of random encounters I just used Frigid Slash with Chain Freeze solely to avoid that. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
drat, valkyria 4 was really good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay i decided to stop faffing around about it and just jump into etrian odyssey 5 and i'm a couple of hours in now and really enjoying it. the little text events are really endearing and maybe my favorite thing so far that i've never seen anyone talk about

currently rolling with a pugilist, masurao, dragoon, rover and botanist because i liked their designs the most but i realize i don't have any way of dealing magic/elemental damage. the game just told me i had to finish enemies with particular damage types to get rare loot and i just found a turtle that takes very little damage from physical attacks. should i replace someone with a warlock..?

i kinda like what everyone does but i realize my healer is doing pretty much nothing so far and also i'm swimming in food that heals (another thing i didn't know about!) also the masurao only deals damage, but she deals a lot of damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Your Computer posted:

okay i decided to stop faffing around about it and just jump into etrian odyssey 5 and i'm a couple of hours in now and really enjoying it. the little text events are really endearing and maybe my favorite thing so far that i've never seen anyone talk about

currently rolling with a pugilist, masurao, dragoon, rover and botanist because i liked their designs the most but i realize i don't have any way of dealing magic/elemental damage. the game just told me i had to finish enemies with particular damage types to get rare loot and i just found a turtle that takes very little damage from physical attacks. should i replace someone with a warlock..?

i kinda like what everyone does but i realize my healer is doing pretty much nothing so far and also i'm swimming in food that heals (another thing i didn't know about!) also the masurao only deals damage, but she deals a lot of damage.

You never need magic damage specifically, but you'll want ways to do elemental attacks for specific drops, etc. Your best bet are skills that deal hybrid damage, like slash/elec for Masurao if I remember correctly. Most classes have a small smattering of random elements, and you can get the rest through special weapon effects or consumables. You definitely don't need a warlock, at any rate.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You also have access to Ice Peck if you go for Hawk Rover. Though uh, I'm not sure if that's the best move, but it does give you ice coverage.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can't see any other elemental attack on my characters than thunder fist on the pugilist, at least at level 10 where i am now :(

i noticed that shaman can actually imbue weapons with elements and do some healing at the same time so that might be a neat option. not sure how to make use of them at early levels since the tp cost of their prayers is crazy and they have no other skills or attacks tho

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, Shaman should make getting elements easy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You can use items too

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i made a shaman and realized i now have no way to revive characters without items since only the botanist can do that, but then i got a staff that can shoot fire so now i'm back to using my botanist :v:

on a different note i have no idea how i'd fight these owlbears without the pugilist's ability to bind

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's like, a ring somewhere that has a revive skill attached it, iirc. Although personally I just go through every EO game without a revive spell and it mostly works, albeit it's kind of annoying sometimes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

drat, valkyria 4 was really good

:hai:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
well, i got to the first stratum boss in etrian odyssey 5 and on the first turn it exploded and one-shotted my entire party. oops.

is there any kind of boss shortcut or are you expected to go through the entire floor and do the puzzles every time you want to attempt the boss?

e: wait a minute the lil' one-way shortcut is a two-way shortcut once you go through it....? do all of them do this and i've just completely missed it? i thought they were just a way to backtrack quicker :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 28, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Your Computer posted:

well, i got to the first stratum boss in etrian odyssey 5 and on the first turn it exploded and one-shotted my entire party. oops.

is there any kind of boss shortcut or are you expected to go through the entire floor and do the puzzles every time you want to attempt the boss?

e: wait a minute the lil' one-way shortcut is a two-way shortcut once you go through it....? do all of them do this and i've just completely missed it? i thought they were just a way to backtrack quicker :negative:

Yeah, that's how they work. There are one-way shortcuts, but they're much rarer and used only for gimmicky stuff.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Following Xenoblade Chronicles: DE with XBC2 is... not great. I enjoyed the game well enough back at release but after the QoL improvements of DE, the issues with XBC2 are just super apparent. It's not a great game. It has great moments for sure - but the entire package is just kind of a mess. Combat is better all around, no issues there. It feels better to do combos and such, and the reward seems a lot higher than the first game. However, it all comes at a cost - everything you do has a delay. If you're attacking, you're not moving. If you did a combo, you have to watch your characters cheer before you can do anything else again. Items flash and disappear really quickly (this is mostly an issue for cubes in challenge mode though). After playing XB:DE I definitely missed the ability to track all my quests at once, more or less.

The rest of the game is where my real issues really crop up. The Gacha element has been talked to death but I'm really frustrated with it - I'm nearing the halfway point of a New Game + and I still don't have several blades despite cracking open 100's of Cores. I feel like I spend at least a quarter of my playtime in menus micromanaging Affinity Trees, Merc Quests and Field Skills. As a result the game doesn't feel like it has an real momentum. Any open world game, the original included, is going to have some issues with pacing but XBC2 is just on another level. I don't know anything about development but it feels rushed somehow. Story scenes kind of clumsily smash into each other, changing character perspectives almost without any real purpose. A story scene will end and you'll have to walk 10 feet to another marker where several more scenes start. It's just clunky. The tone of the game is all over the place too. XB1 had humor but it never overrode the scenes it was in the way it does in XB2.

I'm honestly just not enjoying it enough that I'll probably jump straight to Torna and hope for the best. I hate that I'm not digging it a second time around, tbh, but I'm finding myself just noting the things I don't love and hoping that XBC3 doesn't make the same mistakes.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EO4 Medic shouldn't be used as a straight healer anyways. That just heavily limits their role and true potential. They should be branching out into some more offensive support to contribute incidental damage and possibly buffing up the party depending on their subclass. It's not an earlier Komori directed EO game where specializing is the absolute best thing you can do, generalizing a bit in EO4 is fine. It makes a bunch of classes way more fun to use.

A straight healer would be EO2 Medic and that class is baaaad. They can't do anything other than healing because their strength stat got gutted, so the only thing they can do is spam cast their AOE heals all turn. There's a better healer in the game that can do other things while they heal the party such as buffing them up or contributing actual damage themselves sometimes.

Also yeah, I absolutely don't recommend Nexus to a newcomer. It's something a veteran gets more out of, but even then the game itself has plenty of issues. It isn't bad but it's pretty half baked because management treated it as a quick cash grab. (The actual dev team for that game is loving tiny compared to other EO games. There was 1 programmer. 1.) Quite a few pacing issues and such unfortunately.

Your Computer posted:

Unfortunately there's no "quick retry" feature, so a game over means going back to your last save, even if it's at a boss battle. So yes you'll have to do the puzzles each time, though if it's taking excessively long to set things up, you likely missed some shortcuts somewhere.

Also if a shortcut is 1 way, the game will outright warn you about it. In the 3DS titles. The DS titles grant no such courtesy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The crypto stuff is only in the global version yes

:lol: That just makes it even more insane and hilariously stupid.

The game looks neat but I hope it loving implodes due to the crypto and NFT stuff. If the game fails it won't be the crypto/NFT stuff blamed but if the game becomes a big hit then people are going to see it as validation and that the masses really do want that garbage though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I don't fully understand how the NFT stuff works in the context of the game (or any game really) because it seems like it'd be the same thing that already exists in countless online games except now each gatcha roll burns more energy than the entire country of Ireland?

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: That just makes it even more insane and hilariously stupid.

The game looks neat but I hope it loving implodes due to the crypto and NFT stuff. If the game fails it won't be the crypto/NFT stuff blamed but if the game becomes a big hit then people are going to see it as validation and that the masses really do want that garbage though.

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1530580465706586112

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TurnipFritter posted:

I don't fully understand how the NFT stuff works in the context of the game (or any game really) because it seems like it'd be the same thing that already exists in countless online games except now each gatcha roll burns more energy than the entire country of Ireland?

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1530580465706586112

No, you already fully understand NFT's in their entirety.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

Following Xenoblade Chronicles: DE with XBC2 is... not great. I enjoyed the game well enough back at release but after the QoL improvements of DE, the issues with XBC2 are just super apparent. It's not a great game. It has great moments for sure - but the entire package is just kind of a mess. Combat is better all around, no issues there. It feels better to do combos and such, and the reward seems a lot higher than the first game. However, it all comes at a cost - everything you do has a delay. If you're attacking, you're not moving. If you did a combo, you have to watch your characters cheer before you can do anything else again. Items flash and disappear really quickly (this is mostly an issue for cubes in challenge mode though). After playing XB:DE I definitely missed the ability to track all my quests at once, more or less.

The rest of the game is where my real issues really crop up. The Gacha element has been talked to death but I'm really frustrated with it - I'm nearing the halfway point of a New Game + and I still don't have several blades despite cracking open 100's of Cores. I feel like I spend at least a quarter of my playtime in menus micromanaging Affinity Trees, Merc Quests and Field Skills. As a result the game doesn't feel like it has an real momentum. Any open world game, the original included, is going to have some issues with pacing but XBC2 is just on another level. I don't know anything about development but it feels rushed somehow. Story scenes kind of clumsily smash into each other, changing character perspectives almost without any real purpose. A story scene will end and you'll have to walk 10 feet to another marker where several more scenes start. It's just clunky. The tone of the game is all over the place too. XB1 had humor but it never overrode the scenes it was in the way it does in XB2.

I'm honestly just not enjoying it enough that I'll probably jump straight to Torna and hope for the best. I hate that I'm not digging it a second time around, tbh, but I'm finding myself just noting the things I don't love and hoping that XBC3 doesn't make the same mistakes.
as it turns out, the reason it feels rushed is because it was rushed and developed without a full team (they were busy with support on BOTW)

Even though 3 is again coming out in close proximity to a Zelda game that they've undoubtedly also been collaborating on, i have no doubt that they've managed this development much better after their experience with 2.

(I do think 2 is really fun despite its obvious flaws)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It sucks because Cross World is actually a pretty good RPG otherwise, but it is forever tainted now by NFTs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theoretically regular gacha mechanics mean even if the game has some super broken character who's extremely rare to get there's a possibility for anyone to get them, and some of the most enduringly popular ones kinda avoid actually having quite that level of insanely broken characters for this reason since just as many people will roll for a character they just like the design of. in some games like fgo and arknights you can even borrow a character from a friend so if you really need someone super broken, you have that option. introducing nfts means there's an arbitrary scarcity to it that encourages the game to make the artificially scarce things artificially better and basically nobody is going to enjoy that, it very actively encourages, not just the worst parts of gacha game design but, probably even worse than the normal lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

as it turns out, the reason it feels rushed is because it was rushed and developed without a full team (they were busy with support on BOTW)

Even though 3 is again coming out in close proximity to a Zelda game that they've undoubtedly also been collaborating on, i have no doubt that they've managed this development much better after their experience with 2.

(I do think 2 is really fun despite its obvious flaws)

Ok, that explains a lot then. It's kind of a schizophrenic experience for me because the actual combat gameplay is undeniably better than the first game but it's held down by a lot of cruft. It feels like the devs just filled in the holes with some of the worst impulses of the time. The gacha might be tolerable if there was some grace implementation but it's just entirely possible you wont see a Blade you want in your single player game if you roll badly.

I genuinely do love slices of the game. Going through it now, I think the first few chapters are probably the worst overall but once you get to chapter 5 or 6 the storytelling and writing seem to improve a bit. And like any of the Xeno games, the more of the world you have access to, the more fun it seems.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 28, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are actually, some grace mechanics. the game just has a bug so it's possible that you might permanently get assigned a set of gacha rates where the graces are bugged because they're pointing to values that don't exist.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Colonel posted:

there are actually, some grace mechanics. the game just has a bug so it's possible that you might permanently get assigned a set of gacha rates where the graces are bugged because they're pointing to values that don't exist.

lol welp. I may be in that boat then. I don't really need KOS-MOS or anything but it would have been fun to use her. My bench is ridiculously deep as it is. Blades like Elma, Fiora, Zenobia are all super broken and that doesn't really get into Poppi shenanigans. I can think of several ways to get Blades that don't involve random chance (and the game does some of them already!) so it's just a little frustrating to pull like 300 Legendary/Rare cores and not see the character you want.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Colonel posted:

That's not true. The bug is that one of the pity groups got duplicated, so it's twice as likely you end up in it than the others (with one of the pity groups in the code being inaccessible). You will always be in a pity group, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the pity group/grace mechanic just only extends to a limited subset of Blades is the real issue. You're guaranteed to get 3 specific rare Blades depending on which group you fall into, and relatively quickly. Its just after that you're completely poo poo out of luck and there's no bad luck protection to stop you from opening 1000 Legendary cores and not getting KOS-MOS.

Also KOS-MOS is iirc the only random rare Blade that isn't part of any of the pity mechanics and has the lowest drop chance in the game on any of the groups (every group has different rare Blade drop chances).

Here's the full mechanics if you want a deeper explaination

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/76338453

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 28, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

WrightOfWay posted:

That's not true. The bug is that one of the pity groups got duplicated, so it's twice as likely you end up in it than the others (with one of the pity groups in the code being inaccessible). You will always be in a pity group, though.

oh right, i got it wrong sorry

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Amppelix posted:

They also went on a hiring spree after 2 was released and hired folks for both a team dedicated to working on BotW2, Xenoblade, and then a third, unnamed game, but maybe the Xenoblade team was doing the Definitive Edition and the third unnamed name was Xenoblade 3? It probably also helps that 3 wasn't given quite as strict a deadline as 2, where they obviously were rushing to get it out the door for the Switch's first holiday season.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The thing that bugs me most about the gacha stuff in XB2 is that the traversal mechanics are tied into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I feel like the gacha makes a bad first impression but kinda gives the game some extra legs on a replay? I wound up bouncing off XBC2 the first time I played it and came back a little bit later and getting different Blades and such helped keep the feeling fresh instead of feeling like I was retreading the first chunk of the game I'd already played. Admittingly, that save file has beaten all the bonus content and still doesn't have KOS-MOS and one other rare blade despite having possibly thousands of pulls, but eh.

I'd say the bigger problem is that if you don't start engaging in the side content, the game is absolutely hostile about letting you start engaging with it later. The biggest mistake I made in my first playthrough was neglecting the Mercenary side content for way too long and it turns out without expanding your blade roster size through it and empowering a decent collection of blades which is easiest done through Mercenaries, you just become hard-walled from almost all the game's side content because you can't maintain and raise a broad enough blade pool to complete the game's various environmental spots.